Community

Community Roster Maker bedwardsroy19 Hired by 2K!

Kevin Durant NBA 2K15 Cover Announcement

Congratulations to bedwardsroy19 for getting hired by 2K! Mike has been teasing some kind of announcement of a new job the past few weeks on his Twitter, revealing last night that he has been hired to work on NBA 2K15, and future versions of the game of course. Mike has been an active community roster maker over at Operation Sports where he released roster updates for the console versions of the game. Last year, after playing with his rosters on PS3, I ported his work to the PC version of NBA 2K13.

It is always great to see someone from the community get hired. Drop by the Forum thread or congratulate Mike in the comments below. I can’t wait to see what he has in store for next year!

The Tuesday Triple: Tips for PC Patchers

SUM 07 Menu

This is The Tuesday Triple, where I attempt to break down random topics into three points, and maybe an “and one” if I need it. Similar to the established Friday Five by Andrew, the topics will be related to basketball video games and their communities as a whole.

It is amazing for me to look back on my almost 9 years of being active here in the NLSC community and see how much, and how little, has changed. When I first found the NLSC, I was looking for updates for my friend’s PC copy of NBA Live 2000. When I was forced to make an account that I never used in 2003, it was to learn more about the recently released NBA Live 2004. Finally, in 2005 I posted for the first time, sharing a mod I created for NBA Live 2005. While the technology, tools and games have changed over the years, I am genuinely surprised how the patching culture has evolved, but still deals with the same issues. Here are some tips I have for patchers releasing patches for the current or past NBA games.

Read More

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year, everyone! Hopefully, you’ve all made it safely through New Year’s Eve and had a great time with friends and family. I’d like to welcome you to a brand new year here at the NLSC, where as I’ve said before, we’re looking forward to more good stuff and fun times with basketball video games in 2014.

In last week’s Friday Five, I mentioned a few of the things that I’m looking forward to this year, including a couple of NLSC related projects. To briefly recap, we’ll have a new design coming in the near future, our modding community will be producing some excellent projects and we should have some other fun features and content coming your way for both NBA Live and NBA 2K. Stay tuned!

New Year’s Eve 2013

New Year's Eve

Another year gone, already? It certainly seems that way, as we find ourselves at the end of another eventful twelve months here at the NLSC. On behalf of the NLSC Team, I’d like to thank you all for your continued support of the website throughout 2013. It’s certainly been an interesting year for the community with the launch of the new consoles and the return of NBA Live; we’re looking forward to more fun and good stuff coming in 2014, so be sure to stick around!

If you’re partying your way into the new year, have fun but don’t forget to be safe. Be responsible, don’t drink and drive, and keep in mind Lutz’s words of wisdom for the occasion:

Remember the safest order of things on New Year’s Eve: 1. Fireworks, 2. Drink, and not vice versa!

See you in 2014!

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays 2013

Merry Christmas!

To all those who celebrate it, I’d like to wish you a very Merry Christmas on behalf of the NLSC Team, as well as a Happy Holidays to all of our visitors! I hope that everyone is enjoying some good times with family and friends, partaking of some delicious food and if the mood strikes, perhaps relaxing with some basketball gaming.

Don’t forget that there are five games on the NBA calendar this Christmas Day: Bulls vs. Nets, Thunder vs. Knicks, Heat vs. Lakers, Rockets vs. Spurs and Clippers vs Warriors. Be sure to tune in for some holiday hoops!

NLSC Podcast – Episode #59

NLSC Podcast Logo

Episode #59 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! We’re taking a break for Christmas next week, so this is our final episode for 2013. Join Arcane and myself as we look back on the year that was and indulge in all of the usual end-of-year topics.

• The Xbox One version of NBA 2K14 has received the third official patch, with the PS4 patch coming as soon as Sony gives the thumbs up.
  • Ultimate Base Roster is coming to NBA 2K14 PC! We’re certainly looking forward to it, along with all the other projects that are now possible with the release of RED MC.
  • We run down some of the highlights and big news stories of 2013. Naturally, we talk NBA Live 14 and NBA 2K14, while our beloved Leftos gets a mention.
  • What were some of our favourite basketball gaming experiences in the past year?
  • We each name our Game(s) of the Year. You’ll never guess what Arcane picked!
  • Optimists that we are, we’re looking forward to 2014. What are we looking forward to, and what are some of our plans for the community?
  • There’s no way we can pass up the opportunity to embarrass ourselves with some predictions, so we make a few for the NBA in 2014.

Click Play to listen to the show!

We hope you’ve enjoyed another year of the NLSC Podcast; thank you again for all your support! If you have any thoughts on this week’s episode or any of the topics that we discussed, let us know in the comments below or in this thread. As always, feel free to hit us up with any submissions for future installments of the listener mailbag.

NLSC Podcast – Episode #46

NLSC Podcast Logo

With the release of Grand Theft Auto V, Arcane and I are doing the unthinkable: talking about basketball video games. Having said that, there’s plenty to discuss this week with the release of the first NBA Live 14 screenshot, news on a couple of game modes in NBA 2K14 current gen and even a few topics related to the real NBA.

• We’ve received a glimpse of NBA Live 14 with the release of the first in-game screenshot. We offer our critique of what’s on display.
  • After some speculation following the use of the term “launch window”, NBA Live 14’s release date has been confirmed as November 19th, 2013.
  • Executive producer Sean O’Brien provided some tidbits about the game via the official Twitter account. We’re looking forward to more news and previews coming soon.
  • 2K Sports are releasing the overall ratings for several players in NBA 2K14, but are they getting too much attention?
  • Details on Crew Mode have been revealed and the reaction has been…passionate, to say the least. We react to the news and the community’s reactions.
  • Turns out Path to Greatness isn’t just Creating a Legend with a new coat of paint. What do we think of the concept?
  • It continues to be a slow offseason, but we find a few NBA news and notes worth talking about.
  • There are a couple of news items regarding the next gen consoles worth mentioning. We list a few other games that we’re looking forward to playing.
  • We finish up with some excellent questions in this week’s listener mailbag.

We recorded this episode before the release of the First Look Trailer for NBA Live 14 and the new gameplay Developer Diary for NBA 2K14, so we’ll be giving our thoughts on them in next week’s episode. In the meantime, please let us know what you thought of this week’s show and give us your thoughts on any of the topics that we discussed, either in the comments below or in this thread in the Forum. Please also keep the mailbag submissions coming!

NLSC Podcast – Episode #45

NLSC Podcast Logo

With the release of NBA 2K14 current gen less than three weeks away and more details on NBA Live 14 and NBA 2K14 next gen right around the corner, we’ve got plenty to talk about. Join Arcane, JaoSming and myself for Episode #45 of the NLSC Podcast!

• NBA Live 14’s executive producer Sean O’Brien has published another open letter, revealing that information and preview media is coming soon. Naturally, we speculate.
  • CBS Sports went behind the scenes of ratings development in NBA Live 14. We agree that more objective ratings are a good thing and discuss some of the possibilities with the official updates.
  • We cover a couple of other NBA Live 14 news and notes, including the Kyrie Irving face texture that was shown in a recent post.
  • Several NBA 2K14 previews have come out in the past week or so, highlighting some of the key facts about the game.
  • A couple of Leftos’ ideas were mentioned in one of the previews, so we take a stab at figuring out which ones were his.
  • MyCAREER sounds like it’s received some improvements in the form of fine tuning, but we still have a few questions.
  • The live game between Ronnie and Chris is recapped, along with a few other NBA 2K14 tidbits from the past week.
  • JaoSming provides an update on the NBA Street Vol. 2 mod, while we also look ahead to modding NBA 2K14 in a little under three weeks.
  • We answer more of your questions in the latest listener mailbag.

As always, we hope that you enjoy this week’s episode and invite you to give us your feedback, as well as your thoughts on anything and everything that we discussed. Sound off in the comments below or post your thoughts here in the Forum. Please keep the mailbag submissions coming!

NLSC Podcast – Episode #44

NLSC Podcast Logo

Episode #44 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! Join Arcane, JaoSming, Pdub and myself as we recap and react to the last week in NBA Live 14 and NBA 2K14 news, talk about some ideas for future games and ponder patching culture once again.

• Another article on motion capture in NBA Live 14 which mentions the quick turnaround for getting animations into the game prompts an interesting thought about a next gen possibility.
  • We discuss a Wishlist idea that JaoSming put forward in one of his recent videos.
  • The NBA 2K14 current gen trailer dropped shortly after we finished recording last week, so this week we give some belated opinions on it.
  • New Signature Skills have been revealed for NBA 2K14, which is all well and good…but why is one of them a pre-order bonus?
  • We try to get excited for Dynamic Living Rosters. We try.
  • A couple of other interesting rumours about NBA 2K14 are coming out of PAX Prime 2013. One in particular we’re not believing until we see it.
  • We talk about the idea of patching more often than playing when it comes to basketball video games.
  • The Xbox One finally has an official release date. Three of us have already confirmed our choice of next gen console, but can Pdub make it unanimous?
  • We wrap up with a couple of mailbag questions.

As always, feel free to give us your feedback on this week’s episode, along with your thoughts on anything we discussed, either in the comments below or in this thread in the NLSC Forum.

NLSC Podcast – Episode #43

NLSC Podcast Logo

The past week has brought us more in the way of news and previews for NBA Live 14 and NBA 2K14, so JaoSming, Arcane and I are back to recap and react to all the latest information in Episode #43 of the NLSC Podcast. We also talk about basketball video game development and community attitudes in this week’s featured discussion.

• Rising Star mode has been announced for NBA Live 14. We talk about what we think so far and what we’re hoping to see.
  • We also recap a couple of other NBA Live 14 news items, including a Q&A with Damian Lillard and another playtesting session.
  • Unfortunately, we wrapped up recording before the NBA 2K14 current gen trailer came out, but we recap some other tidbits including hands-on impressions and legends screenshots.
  • Some more gameplay videos have come out of Gamescom, while Ronnie provided some other quick clips. We talk about whether we’re hyped for NBA 2K14 current gen.
  • A few more details have also emerged on Path to Greatness. Spoiler: thumbs in the middle.
  • Moving on to our featured discussion…are developers lazy? Or is that just another snarky buzzword that we should abolish?
  • JaoSming is done with NBA 2K13 on PlayStation 3. The lure of modding the PC version is just too strong!
  • Allen Iverson and Tracy McGrady are the latest former All-Stars to hang it up, following Grant Hill and Jason Kidd. We consider each of their chances of getting into the Hall of Fame.
  • We finish up with a few mailbag questions.

As always, we hope that you enjoy this week’s episode and invite you to share your feedback, along with your thoughts on any of the topics that we discussed, either in the comments below or here in the Forum.

NLSC Podcast – Episode #38

NLSC Podcast Logo

A new big three comes together in Episode #38 of the NLSC Podcast! Join Arcane, JaoSming and myself as we sit down to discuss the latest NBA Live 14 and NBA 2K14 news, mention a few exciting goings-on around the modding community and of course, talk about how much we love Leftos.

• A new NBA Live 14 developer blog, The Science of bounceTek, was posted on the official site last week. We give our reactions to what we read and saw in the three demonstration videos.
  • What do we think they’re going to talk about next? For that matter, what are we hoping they’re going to talk about next?
  • We cover a couple of other recent NBA Live 14 news items, such as the behind-the-scenes video featuring Clippers players and another playtesting session.
  • Speaking of playtesting, 2K Sports are bringing back the Community Team-Up for NBA 2K14. We reaffirm our commitment to #JaoSming4TeamUp.
  • We talk a little about community events, their effectiveness and the responsibilities that go along with them.
  • Moving on to modding news, JaoSming takes us through an exciting new project involving NBA Street Vol. 2.
  • A recent upload prompts us to discuss modding culture, as there’s a certain release practice that’s not quite on the level and we’d prefer to discourage it.
  • We wrap things up with a discussion of last week’s Friday Five. What kind of gamers do we all see ourselves as?

As always, we’d love to hear your feedback on the show and your thoughts on anything we discussed, so have your say in the comments below as well as in this thread in the Forum.

NLSC Podcast – Episode #37

NLSC Podcast Logo

Episode #37 of the NLSC Podcast, aka the Farewell Leftos Edition, is out now. Join Ben, JaoSming and myself as we welcome Leftos back to the podcast, only to say goodbye to him as he officially leaves for his new gig as part of the NBA 2K development team at Visual Concepts. As is our custom, we also talk a little bit about basketball.

• After a few weeks of the dynamic duo, we have a quality quartet handling this week’s digital broadcasting duties.
  • For a change of pace, we start off with the NBA discussion this week and talk about some recent offseason news.
  • JaoSming mourns the departure of Paul Pierce from the Celtics, but he has something else to look forward to this season.
  • It’s been far too long since Leftos talked at length about the Pistons. Unfortunately, he’s not too impressed with what Joe D is doing right now.
  • We move on to the farewell party. Leftos talks about his new career and the community he’s come from.
  • Leftos also finally gets to tell some stories he’s been holding onto since April.

Feedback on this week’s episode, as well as your thoughts on any of the topics we discussed, are most definitely welcome either in the comments below or in this thread in the Forum.

NLSC Podcast – Episode #36

NLSC Podcast Logo

Episode #36 of the NLSC Podcast is coming your way, as we give our thoughts on the latest news surrounding basketball video games and the NBA. Join Ben and myself as we go over a few NBA Live 14 and NBA 2K14 tidbits, recap and react to a flurry of free agent signings and touch on some other gaming news.

• The official NBA Live Twitter has given us a couple of things to talk about and look forward to, including future Q&As and possibly some good news regarding game modes.
  • Operation Sports’ Q&A with 2K Sports revealed some more information about the Euroleague teams in NBA 2K14.
  • An announcement is made about future roster updates for NBA Live 2005, NBA Live 06, NBA Live 07 and NBA Live 08.
  • How does one go about joining the NLSC Team?
  • We get a prediction right as Dwight Howard goes to the Rockets, putting an end to Indecision 2.0.
  • What do we think of all the other offseason moves so far?
  • As usual, we finish up with some other video game news and notes.

As always, your feedback on the show and your thoughts on everything we discussed are most welcome, so have your say in the comments below or in this thread in the NLSC Forum.

The Friday Five: 5 Thoughts As We Farewell Leftos

NBA 2K14 Leftos Cover

It’s Friday at the NLSC, which means it’s time for another edition of The Friday Five! If you’re checking out The Friday Five for the first time and are wondering what it’s all about, this is a feature that I post every Friday in which I pick a topic that’s related to basketball video games, the real NBA or another area of interest to our community, then either give my thoughts on the topic in five points or countdown a Top 5.

I’d like to do something a little different in this week’s Friday Five. As you may have seen on Twitter, Leftos is very close to officially joining 2K Sports as a member of the NBA 2K development team. We’ll hopefully be able to get him on the NLSC Podcast one last time before he begins his new duties but just to tip off the farewell party, I’d like to offer five thoughts as we bid Leftos goodbye from the team and good luck at 2K.

Read More

Sony’s E3 Press Conference Brings Good News

PlayStation 4 Logo

In addition to the Next Gen Reveal trailer for NBA 2K14, Sony’s press conference at E3 2013 provided gamers with some good news in general. Towards the end of the press conference, Sony announced that they would be placing no restrictions on used games and will not be requiring an online check-in. Additionally, they will be offering a pay-for-online service at a price tag of less than $5 per month, including cloud saves, online multiplayer, discounts on games and even access to early betas.

The console itself carries a price tag of $399 US, 399 euros or £349. According to the official PlayStation Australia Twitter account, Aussies like myself will be looking at a RRP of $549 AUS. Share your thoughts in the comments below, join in the discussion in this thread in the NLSC Forum and stay tuned for the first part of our special E3 edition of the NLSC Podcast, coming within the next 12 hours.