The Friday Five: 5 Aspects of Online Culture I Dislike

The Friday Five

Welcome to this week’s edition of The Friday Five! The Friday Five is a feature that I post every Friday in which I give my thoughts on a topic that’s related to basketball video games, the real NBA or another area of interest to our community, either as a list of five items or in the form of a Top 5 countdown.

NBA Live 16 and NBA 2K16 are in stores now, and to that end, it would make sense to discuss one or both of them in this week’s Friday Five. However, I’d like to spend a bit more time with both games before I offer up any impressions, and discuss certain elements of them in detail. Furthermore, this week’s topic – five aspects of online culture that I dislike – is one that I’ve been meaning to talk about for a while. The timing isn’t completely inappropriate either, as we see a lot of this stuff pop up whenever new games are released.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I maintain that we have a good thing going here at the NLSC, and I do like being a part of an online community. I also believe that the World Wide Web in general is a fantastic invention that continues to innovate, and it’s done a lot to make video games a bigger business, and an even more enjoyable hobby. However, there are some negative traits that permeate online culture, especially in gaming communities. When it comes to the five things I’m about to discuss, I think we need to either grow up, or get over ourselves…or maybe both.

Read More

NLSC Podcast – Episode #120

NLSC Podcast Logo

In the middle of the 2015 NBA Finals, and just a few days before E3, it’s Episode #120 of the NLSC Podcast! Join Arcane and I as we discuss the NBA Live 16 cover announcement, everything we know so far about NBA Live 16 and NBA 2K16, the on-going clash between the Golden State Warriors and Cleveland Cavaliers for the 2015 NBA Championship, and more.

• We didn’t have to wait long to find out that Russell Westbrook is gracing the NBA Live 16 cover. What do we think of that choice?
  • With the release of a screenshot and a preliminary features list, we note that there’s more optimism surrounding NBA Live 16 compared to recent years, especially with the game’s presence at E3.
  • After breaking down this week’s NBA Live 16 news, we get up to speed with some NBA 2K16 information, including clarification on a couple of matters that we’re glad to see.
  • We comment on three areas where NBA Live 16 needs to show improvement: off-ball movement, animations, and the addition of a shot meter.
  • Kotaku recently published an article describing a lengthy Association experience using skoadam’s URB roster for NBA 2K13. Unfortunately, it got our name wrong.
  • We answer some mailbag questions about community spirit and Forum participation…and possibly get a little sentimental in thanking the people who support us in doing what we do.
  • It’s been an interesting NBA Finals so far: scrappy, and at times ugly, but not boring. What do we think will happen next?
  • If LeBron James leads the Cavaliers to the title, what does it mean for his standing amongst the greats? We discuss some recent proclamations about The King, and address the issue of “haters”. (Caution: Rant Warning)
  • Two Nike fanboys are quite pleased to hear about the company’s new deal with the NBA, beginning in 2017. Yes, that would be us.
  • We end with a Tweet by Brandon Jennings, which suggests that he’s not a fan of NBA Live.

Click Play to listen to the show!

Have some thoughts on the latest episode? Sound off in the comments below, or here in the Forum. Also, if there’s a topic you’d like us to discuss on the next episode of the NLSC Podcast, feel free to hit us up in this thread.

Welcome Kenny to the NLSC Team!

I’m pleased to announce that long-time member of the NLSC Community Kenny has joined the NLSC Team!

You may have seen Kenny’s famous NBA Live and NBA 2K threads in our Stories section, as well as his contributions to The Soapbox. He’ll be writing regular feature articles for the NLSC, which I know you’ll really enjoy reading.

In the meantime, please join me in welcoming Kenny to the team!

The Friday Five: 5 Things I’ve Learned Running a Video Game Website

The Friday Five

Welcome to this week’s edition of The Friday Five! This is a feature that I post every Friday in which I give my thoughts on a topic that’s related to basketball video games, the real NBA or another area of interest to our community, either as a list of five items or in the form of a Top 5 countdown.

As we tip off a new year here at the NLSC, I still find myself in a somewhat reflective mood. As I said in my 2014 Year in Review, and a couple of times in my New Year’s messages, last year was a very good one for the site, and I’m looking forward to making 2015 even better. While preparing to do so, I naturally think back on we’ve done before: what worked and how we can make it better, as well as what hasn’t worked and how we can avoid it. That in turn got me thinking about some of the lessons that I’ve learned while running the NLSC.

So, before I get back to discussing basketball video games, compiling Top 5s, or giving opinions about the NBA, I thought I’d talk a little about some of the things that running the NLSC has taught me. I’d like to think that anyone else who’s looking to start some sort of online endeavour, be it a video gaming website, a YouTube series, or even a modding project, will be able to gain some knowledge and perspective from my experiences. Without any further ado, here are five things I’ve learned from running a video game website.

Read More

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year, everyone! If you’re reading this, then you’ve made it through last night’s festivities, and hopefully had a great time with friends and family. I’d like to officially welcome you all to a new year here at the NLSC; as I’ve said before, 2014 was a great year for the site, and I’m looking forward to making 2015 even better.

We’ll be doing more fun stuff this year, including regular episodes of the NLSC Podcast, more columns and feature articles, more tutorials and resources, and hopefully, some more video content. We’ll also be doing a fair amount of stuff in a (slightly belated) celebration of the 20th Anniversary of NBA Live, which I hope that everyone will enjoy. And of course, I’m confident that our modding community will continue to do some amazing work.

There might be a few other surprises along the way, but we’ll get to that when we get to that. For now, Happy New Year, welcome back (or indeed, welcome to the NLSC if you’ve just discovered us), and stay tuned!

New Year’s Eve 2014

New Year's Eve

Well, once again, we’ve come to the end of another year here at the NLSC. I don’t know about anyone else, but for me, it feels like the last twelve months have really gone by quickly. As they say though, time flies when you’re having fun, and as I mentioned in last week’s Friday Five, it’s been a really good year for the site.

I’m really pleased with what we were able to do with our content throughout the year, and what we were able to achieve as a community. As always, thank you for your support of the NLSC! We really do appreciate it, and hope that you’ll stick around, as we look to make 2015 an even better year.

If you are marking the end of 2014 with some partying, have a blast, but please be safe and responsible. If you’re drinking, don’t drive, and above all, keep Lutz’s immortal words of wisdom in mind:

Remember the safest order of things on New Year’s Eve: 1. Fireworks, 2. Drink, and not vice versa!

See you in 2015!

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays 2014

NLSC Christmas Wallpaper

On behalf of the NLSC staff, I’d like to wish a very Merry Christmas to all those who celebrate it, and a Happy Holiday Season to all of our visitors! I hope that wherever you are, you’re enjoying yourself and getting to spend some quality time with family and friends.

If you’re partaking of some basketball gaming these holidays, don’t forget to check out our Downloads section for the latest mods from our talented community, as well as join in the discussion in the NLSC Forum. Be sure to catch some of the Christmas Day games if you can, as the NBA has scheduled some very interesting match-ups this year with the Thunder taking on the Spurs, the Warriors and the Clippers locking horns, and LeBron James returning to Miami for the first time as the Cavaliers take on the Heat.

Seasons Greetings, everyone!

NLSC Podcast – Episode #100

NLSC Podcast Logo

Well, we made it: one hundred episodes of the NLSC Podcast! We’ve lined up some special guests to mark the occasion, in addition to our usual chatter about NBA Live, NBA 2K, and the real NBA. It’s a longer show than usual this week, but we hope that you enjoy it!

• NBA Live 15 is out this week. Don’t forget to check out our latest interview with Sean O’Brien in Episode #99!
  • The past week has brought us some more details on Ultimate Team, as well as a video on defensive improvements.
  • Xbox One users have been able to preview NBA Live 15 via EA Access, and there have been some positive and promising impressions so far.
  • We chat about some other NBA Live 15 content, including the Tips & Tricks videos, some screenshots we received from EA, and the raw gameplay footage that has been posted.
  • The first patch for NBA 2K15 is out on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. The PC has also received a second patch, addressing some technical issues. More updates are in the pipeline.
  • Leftos has been going above and beyond with support in the NLSC Forum, as 2K have been working hard on addressing issues with the PC version. We certainly appreciate the efforts!
  • We cover the latest modding developments for NBA 2K15 PC, as a couple of people in our community have been making great progress.
  • Arcane provides his initial impressions of NBA 2K15 on PlayStation 4.
  • In our first pre-recorded interview, we welcome JaoSming and Leftos back to the show. We discuss the Podcast, give JaoSming a proper send-off, and naturally, rib one another.
  • Andrew chats to NLSC co-founder Tim Tschirner, who reflects on the early days of the site, and talks about his time as a developer on NBA Live.
  • There’s an obligatory NBL reference, as we discuss the Josh Childress incident.
  • The NBA season is about to tip off! We discuss Kawhi Leonard’s future with the San Antonio Spurs, injury woes for Steve Nash and Jason Richardson, and a couple of Aussies who have been waived.
  • We end the show with some reflections on 100 episodes, and this week’s Cool Fact.

Click Play to listen to the show!

As always, we welcome your thoughts on this week’s show, as well as any of the topics that we discussed. Have your say in the comments below, or here in the Forum! Mailbag submissions and topic suggestions are also welcome, so feel free to hit us up in this thread. Thanks for your support through the first one hundred episodes!

JaoSming Joins Visual Concepts

JaoSming's Twitter Avatar

So, I’m allowed to talk about this now? The cat’s out of the bag?

It is indeed, and congratulations are in order for our own JaoSming (or Jon, as you may know him), who has accepted a position with Visual Concepts/2K Sports! Jon will be working on the aforementioned 2KTV show in NBA 2K15 and beyond, where his passion for the games and knowledge of the community will no doubt help the show deliver great content to us every week.

Although we’re sorry to see Jon go, we’re all immensely proud of him and know that he’ll represent us superbly. Jon has done some amazing work for the NLSC during his tenure here, from creating patches and resources to co-hosting the Podcast and moderating the Forum, and so much in between. On a personal note, it’s been a pleasure having Jon on the team; I’ll always appreciate the help he’s given me in running the NLSC, it’s been a blast co-hosting the Podcast with him, and I’m very happy to see him land such a dream job, where he’ll be working with our good friend Leftos.

As for us…don’t worry, we’re not going anywhere. I’m sure that others will step up to lead the charge in developing resources for the community, and we’ll of course still be doing the Podcast every week; we have some good stuff lined up for that. As for the feature articles that Jon established, I’ll probably be writing a few guest editions myself from time to time, and we’ll see what happens long-term.

In the meantime though, please join me in congratulating Jon once again. What else can I say: Your Time Has Come!

The Friday Five: Top 5 Favourite Experiences Running the NLSC

The Friday Five

Welcome to this week’s edition of The Friday Five! This is a feature that I post every Friday in which I give my thoughts on a topic that’s related to basketball video games, the real NBA or another area of interest to our community, either as a list of five items or in the form of a Top 5 countdown.

On August 26th, it will be thirteen years since Tim handed me the reins of the NLSC. Since then, we’ve certainly had our fair share of ups and downs. While I’ve greatly enjoyed running the site, there have been times when I’ve come close to resigning my position. Gaming communities all have their own politics and run the gamut of personalities, so naturally there have been moments where the fuss and drama has left me thinking “Do I really want to keep doing this?”

I’m very glad, and admittedly just a little proud, that my answer has always remained “yes”. The tough times have been valuable learning experiences, while the good times have been very rewarding and a lot of fun. I’m not planning on going anywhere, but since another anniversary has come around, I thought that I’d take some time to reflect on my Top 5 favourite experiences running the NLSC. Let’s begin with number five…

Read More

Community Roster Maker bedwardsroy19 Hired by 2K!

Kevin Durant NBA 2K15 Cover Announcement

Congratulations to bedwardsroy19 for getting hired by 2K! Mike has been teasing some kind of announcement of a new job the past few weeks on his Twitter, revealing last night that he has been hired to work on NBA 2K15, and future versions of the game of course. Mike has been an active community roster maker over at Operation Sports where he released roster updates for the console versions of the game. Last year, after playing with his rosters on PS3, I ported his work to the PC version of NBA 2K13.

It is always great to see someone from the community get hired. Drop by the Forum thread or congratulate Mike in the comments below. I can’t wait to see what he has in store for next year!

The Tuesday Triple: Tips for PC Patchers

SUM 07 Menu

This is The Tuesday Triple, where I attempt to break down random topics into three points, and maybe an “and one” if I need it. Similar to the established Friday Five by Andrew, the topics will be related to basketball video games and their communities as a whole.

It is amazing for me to look back on my almost 9 years of being active here in the NLSC community and see how much, and how little, has changed. When I first found the NLSC, I was looking for updates for my friend’s PC copy of NBA Live 2000. When I was forced to make an account that I never used in 2003, it was to learn more about the recently released NBA Live 2004. Finally, in 2005 I posted for the first time, sharing a mod I created for NBA Live 2005. While the technology, tools and games have changed over the years, I am genuinely surprised how the patching culture has evolved, but still deals with the same issues. Here are some tips I have for patchers releasing patches for the current or past NBA games.

Read More

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year, everyone! Hopefully, you’ve all made it safely through New Year’s Eve and had a great time with friends and family. I’d like to welcome you to a brand new year here at the NLSC, where as I’ve said before, we’re looking forward to more good stuff and fun times with basketball video games in 2014.

In last week’s Friday Five, I mentioned a few of the things that I’m looking forward to this year, including a couple of NLSC related projects. To briefly recap, we’ll have a new design coming in the near future, our modding community will be producing some excellent projects and we should have some other fun features and content coming your way for both NBA Live and NBA 2K. Stay tuned!

New Year’s Eve 2013

New Year's Eve

Another year gone, already? It certainly seems that way, as we find ourselves at the end of another eventful twelve months here at the NLSC. On behalf of the NLSC Team, I’d like to thank you all for your continued support of the website throughout 2013. It’s certainly been an interesting year for the community with the launch of the new consoles and the return of NBA Live; we’re looking forward to more fun and good stuff coming in 2014, so be sure to stick around!

If you’re partying your way into the new year, have fun but don’t forget to be safe. Be responsible, don’t drink and drive, and keep in mind Lutz’s words of wisdom for the occasion:

Remember the safest order of things on New Year’s Eve: 1. Fireworks, 2. Drink, and not vice versa!

See you in 2014!

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays 2013

Merry Christmas!

To all those who celebrate it, I’d like to wish you a very Merry Christmas on behalf of the NLSC Team, as well as a Happy Holidays to all of our visitors! I hope that everyone is enjoying some good times with family and friends, partaking of some delicious food and if the mood strikes, perhaps relaxing with some basketball gaming.

Don’t forget that there are five games on the NBA calendar this Christmas Day: Bulls vs. Nets, Thunder vs. Knicks, Heat vs. Lakers, Rockets vs. Spurs and Clippers vs Warriors. Be sure to tune in for some holiday hoops!