FIBA world ranking

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:50 pm

We're 63 out of a total 73 basketball playing countries. For a "great basketball country" here in Asia, we sure do suck.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Spartan on Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:20 pm

The Debilash™,
are you realy stupid or what Serbia is country whit 5 world gold medal,1 olympic and 10 european this is only gold medal and more other medal the best nation ever in basketball (divac,bodiroga,paspalj,korac,kicanovic,dalipagic,stojakovic,radmanovic,
djordjevic,savic,krstic,danilovic.......)if you dont know who is this players you dont watch basketball,look this video and you will see how BODIROGA schools antony http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIyWC8h56sg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm3Wk5qJcAg&NR=1
and look what basketball legend do two time SALE DJORDJEVIC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30nJ-4sM ... re=related
WORLD CUP LAST SECONDS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybsFGHvQ ... re=related
EROLEAGUE LAST SECONDS
Spartan

Postby Spartan on Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:21 pm

DO YOU WANT MORE OR IS THIS TOO GOOD????????
WE ARE BASKETBALL LAND
Spartan

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:13 am

No please, don't stop. Post more clips.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby jenz on Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:31 am

either he's this :spam:

or this Image
jenz
Too cool for a custom title.

Postby benji on Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:40 am

I figured Jae would have banned him by now.
benji

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:11 pm

He's not McDwyane.
McDwyane doesn't have hearth to post that kind of crap.

Nice custom title benji.
Last edited by shadowgrin on Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadowgrin

Postby deihatein on Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:42 pm

Phillipines=63=greatness. Yeah shadowgrin, i find benji's custom title hilarious :lol:
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby L10 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:58 am

Argentina is second. im so proud :mrgreen: :D
SIGNATURE SKILLS POLLS :
viewtopic.php?f=151&t=93732

L10

Postby Air Zoom Kobe I on Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:56 am

Serbia can't keep up with Spain, Argentina, or France. USA would MURDER spain. They did it in 2000. They can do it again. Don't make me drop some names and footage to back me up.
ImageAM I THE ONLY ONE THAT THINKS RASHARD LEWIS COULD HAVE SAVED SEATTLE?
Air Zoom Kobe I

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:14 pm

Back it up then.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:49 pm

Air Zoom Kobe I wrote:Serbia can't keep up with Spain, Argentina, or France. USA would MURDER spain. They did it in 2000. They can do it again. Don't make me drop some names and footage to back me up.

I don't think that USA would murder Spain. Navarro, Calderon, Gasol and co are quite good in the international basketball round.

Based on 'talent', athleticism, and reputations on paper... the USA should murder Spain. But that convention of thought should have been dismissed after France lost to them by just 2 points back in the 2000 Olympics.

On the topic of Serbia, I think they had a decent national side. I'd say they are on the level of France. :) Spain and Argentina are a level higher. USA should be on top but I wouldn't be surprised if they lost. I'm not expecting it though at the Beijing Olympics.
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby Air Zoom Kobe I on Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:51 am

Sit wrote:
Air Zoom Kobe I wrote:Serbia can't keep up with Spain, Argentina, or France. USA would MURDER spain. They did it in 2000. They can do it again. Don't make me drop some names and footage to back me up.

I don't think that USA would murder Spain. Navarro, Calderon, Gasol and co are quite good in the international basketball round.

Based on 'talent', athleticism, and reputations on paper... the USA should murder Spain. But that convention of thought should have been dismissed after France lost to them by just 2 points back in the 2000 Olympics.

On the topic of Serbia, I think they had a decent national side. I'd say they are on the level of France. :) Spain and Argentina are a level higher. USA should be on top but I wouldn't be surprised if they lost. I'm not expecting it though at the Beijing Olympics.

Sorry, I meant SERBIA, not spain.

USA=Gold
Spain=Silver
Russia/Argentina=Bronze

Serbia=Not even in the olympics
ImageAM I THE ONLY ONE THAT THINKS RASHARD LEWIS COULD HAVE SAVED SEATTLE?
Air Zoom Kobe I

Re: FIBA world ranking

Postby Lenne on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:30 am

belgium isn't in the top 73?? wtf?
Lenne

Postby The X on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:45 pm

Lenne wrote:belgium isn't in the top 73?? wtf?

Probably just because they are not in top Euro division....you'll notice teams like Holland & UK aren't there either, so maybe the games they play against each other don't count towards rankings....seems silly, but nonetheless seems to be the case....
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby john26 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:36 pm

New Zealand plays basketball? omg that is news to me
john26

Postby The X on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:12 pm

john26 wrote:New Zealand plays basketball? omg that is news to me

you obviously have never followed international basketball then....they came 4th at 2002 World Championships & finished 2 positions higher than USA (6th)....at that tournament, I believe they beat the team that won it (Yugoslavia) in Group play....for most of the decade they've been a top 15 team, with the high point coming in 2002....they've also beaten arch rivals Australia on numerous occasions during this decade, even beaten them in a few series & even prevented them from qualifying to 2002 World Championships....but that was back when Sean Marks still played international basketball....the New Zealand team doesn't have a lot of talent, but they play hard & play to their strengths & play a defence that tries to minimise their weaknesses & lack of height....
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Null17 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:15 pm

Yay Philippines!(Man, we suck.)
Null17

Postby john26 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:36 pm

The X wrote:you obviously have never followed international basketball then....they came 4th at 2002 World Championships & finished 2 positions higher than USA (6th)....at that tournament, I believe they beat the team that won it (Yugoslavia) in Group play....for most of the decade they've been a top 15 team, with the high point coming in 2002....they've also beaten arch rivals Australia on numerous occasions during this decade, even beaten them in a few series & even prevented them from qualifying to 2002 World Championships....but that was back when Sean Marks still played international basketball....the New Zealand team doesn't have a lot of talent, but they play hard & play to their strengths & play a defence that tries to minimise their weaknesses & lack of height....

But wait...how come 1/2 of their team fielded in the Australian League are American imports

rick rickert, greene (played with indiana), derrick alston, cj bruton, wayne turner, melzer, carlos powell
and the other half are aussies - forman, ronaldson, tanner, webster etc

kirk penney is the only kiwi player i have seen play well from new zealand. I have yet to see sean marks play

I believe the ranking is wrong they are way overrated because fewer countries compete in the Pacific, in my opinion philippines, although height-challenged, could beat them any day if nz fielded "the real kiwis" (this is not literally referring to birds)

plus, they don't play a lot of defense, their game is mainly outside shooting. they have big men that shoot from long range
john26

Postby The X on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:31 pm

john26 wrote:
The X wrote:you obviously have never followed international basketball then....they came 4th at 2002 World Championships & finished 2 positions higher than USA (6th)....at that tournament, I believe they beat the team that won it (Yugoslavia) in Group play....for most of the decade they've been a top 15 team, with the high point coming in 2002....they've also beaten arch rivals Australia on numerous occasions during this decade, even beaten them in a few series & even prevented them from qualifying to 2002 World Championships....but that was back when Sean Marks still played international basketball....the New Zealand team doesn't have a lot of talent, but they play hard & play to their strengths & play a defence that tries to minimise their weaknesses & lack of height....

But wait...how come 1/2 of their team fielded in the Australian League are American imports

rick rickert, greene (played with indiana), derrick alston, cj bruton, wayne turner, melzer, carlos powell
and the other half are aussies - forman, ronaldson, tanner, webster etc

kirk penney is the only kiwi player i have seen play well from new zealand. I have yet to see sean marks play

I believe the ranking is wrong they are way overrated because fewer countries compete in the Pacific, in my opinion philippines, although height-challenged, could beat them any day if nz fielded "the real kiwis" (this is not literally referring to birds)

plus, they don't play a lot of defense, their game is mainly outside shooting. they have big men that shoot from long range

that's a club team....some of NZ team play for the NZ NBL team, some play in Europe & some play for Aussie NBL teams....only Asian team that is better than NZ is China....how does Phillipines rank up against Japan, Iran, Qatar, Lebanon etc because we've beat all those teams....Phillipines couldn't handle NZ as we play the game like rugby defensively :P NZ plays with intangibles....

all that being said, despite falling only 2 spots short (still ahead of the likes of Brazil) of Olympic qualification in the repecharge (sp?) stage, with Sean Marks only playing in NBA & guys like Mark Dickel (led Division 1 in college in assists his senior year & was Honorable Mention All-American at UNLV when paired with JC transfer Shawn Marion) & Phill Jones (played in Europe for years, good scoring SG) at tail end of career, I think they are no longer a top 12/15 team like they were previously....I'd still have them in my top 20 though....only Asian team ahead of them being China of course....

rankings aren't based on playing teams in the Pacific....smashing American Samoa by 80 points doesn't increase NZ's ranking....it's beating teams like Turkey, Puerto Rico & Canada on a regular basis & getting the occasional upset over a team like Serbia that also helps....

I think also rankings place too much emphasis on historical performance going back beyond a few years (i.e. Serbia at number 4 but Russia & Croatia so low)....

btw, I believe Melzer now plays for NZ national team a little....is now a NZ citizen....although I don't think it really helps the team much at all anyways....

p.s. if you want to see Sean Marks play, you'd have to watch the New Orleans Hornets' games....now is a good time as with a few injuries, he is currently the team's starting centre....at 33 though, he is past his prime, but hopefully continues to get some meaningful minutes....
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:32 pm

only Asian team that is better than NZ is China....how does Phillipines rank up against Japan, Iran, Qatar, Lebanon etc because we've beat all those teams....Phillipines couldn't handle NZ as we play the game like rugby defensively

Lebanon is the one in that list that can give the Philippines an ass-whopping. Still, we suck.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Null17 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:09 am

Hopefully, that new NTeam initiative is gonna show some results. I'm actually pretty excited about that.
Null17

Postby kentpaul16 on Fri May 15, 2009 7:37 am

philippines number 63 ranking doesn't really show on how powerful the philippine team is...
we are number 63, because of the the poor basketball NT program of our country in the past decades,..e.g. poor funding of the RP Team...sending amateur (pbl) players to the major tournaments...not mentioning the suspension of the Philippines in FIBA,..... but now...BAP, was serious to rebuild our status as one of the basketball powers in asia....let us see what will happen in the next few years...I think their goal now is to be recognize as one of the Top 3 teams in asia...together with China and Iran,....

for the top 3 position,...it' was really disputed and may go either ways... it may be...Lebanon, Korea, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Qatar and of course the Philippines....
NUMERO UNO PINOY
kentpaul16

Postby jettdaking! on Thu May 28, 2009 12:45 pm

man, i really think that the next posts are gonna be racial (yep, that's right).

hard to be one of the best fiba teams if other fiba teams wanna pull you down (get what i'm saying?)

at least we filipinos know, with all respect to all players in PBA, PBL and that guy who's playing in the D-League, that our National Team has a LONG way to go.

but for now, TEAM PHILIPPINES SUCKS (i even think the Harlem Globetrotters could beat them :D )
"play me like it's chess and i'll smack you with a checkerboard"
-Celph Titled
jettdaking!
R.I.P. Hip-Hop "1987-2005"

Postby Null17 on Thu May 28, 2009 2:42 pm

jettsoarshigh wrote:at least we filipinos know, with all respect to all players in PBA, PBL and that guy who's playing in the D-League, that our National Team has a LONG way to go.

Who's that? If you mean Japeth Aguilar, the last I heard was that he was just invited to draft camp.
Null17

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball