A new developer blog for NBA 2K18 has been posted exclusively over at Operation Sports. The latest insight is from Scott O’Gallagher, with OG breaking down the improvements to artificial intelligence in this year’s game. It’s a lengthy read with some great news and detailed information, and as such, it’s hard to do it justice with a quick summary. However, here are some of the key points that Scott touches upon:
- The Adaptive Coaching Engine has received a lot of attention, in order to weed out flaws from previous games.
- Positioning is improved, with players being more aware of the situation. Players will also recognise sets and make adjustments accordingly.
- Elite defenders have much better awareness. However, if an AI player can’t see the ball (i.e. has their back to the play), they will make errors and be slower to react with help defense.
- More team specific defensive schemes have been added, there are new animations for double teams, rotations and help angles are improved, and there are better mismatch adjustments.
- Zone defense is feasible in 2K Pro-Am without taking a hit to your teammate grade.
- Authenticity is optimised for Superstar and Hall of Fame difficulty levels.
- There is a Defensive Communication setting that when enabled, instructs you on what you’re supposed to do defensively.
- System Proficiency, which will affect all modes in NBA 2K18, emphasises the importance of matching the right players with the right coach and sets. This affects team building strategies in MyLEAGUE/MyGM and MyTEAM, as well as the on-court experience.
Scott has also included a bunch of brief gameplay clips that demonstrate exactly what he’s talking about. Be sure to check out the blog on OS for the full scoop!
2K have also revealed the cover player for MyNBA2K18, the companion app for NBA 2K18. This year’s cover player is Kristaps Porzingas of the New York Knicks; see below for the cover art. MyNBA2K18 is set for release on September 7th, just in time for this year’s Prelude on September 8th.
As always, feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section below, as well as in the NBA 2K18 section of the NLSC Forum!
MyNBA2K18 Cover Art