NBA Live 10
|NBA Live 10|
NBA Live 10 cover art.
|Platform(s)||Playstation 3, Playstation Portable, Xbox 360|
|Release date(s)|| US/Canada|
October 6th, 2009
October 9th, 2009
October 9th, 2009
November 5th, 2009
NBA Live 10 (also referred to as NBA Live 2010, Live 2010 or Live 10 and stylised as NBA LIVE 10) is the sixteenth instalment in the NBA Live series, released in the US and Canada on October 6th 2009 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation Portable. On June 11th 2009, the cover player was revealed to be Dwight Howard. It is the direct sequel to NBA Live 09 and was originally intended to be followed by NBA Elite 11. Following the cancellation of NBA Elite 11, EA Sports announced plans to take a year off, and return to the NBA Live branding with NBA Live 13. After NBA Live 13 was cancelled, the series finally returned with NBA Live 14, released on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
The demo was released to Xbox Live Gold subscribers on September 11th 2009. It was made available to Xbox Live Silver subscribers and Playstation 3 users on September 17th 2009. The game has received two official updates as well as one free DLC item.
NBA Live 10 is EA Sports' NBA release for the 2009/2010 NBA season. Key returning features include Dynasty Mode, Dynamic DNA, Online Team Play and Pick and Roll Control. The NBA Academy will still be used in Dynasty Mode but the default practice mode will be the new Hangar, which will feature the top players in the game and allow the user to not only get a feel for the game but also scrimmage in All-Star pickup games in the new practice environment. New modes and control concepts in NBA Live 10 include Dynamic Season, Live Run, Direct Pass Receiver Control, Size-Ups, Hustle Plays, Signature Dribbling Styles and Freestyle Passing.
After the console-only release of NBA Live 09, blogs by EA Sports President Peter Moore hinted that the NBA Live series would return to the PC platform in 2009. However, further blog posts placed a return to the PC in doubt and on June 14th, GamingAccess.com broke the news that NBA Live 10 would indeed be a console only release. As of February 2018, no official reason for the decision not to release NBA Live 10 or Madden '10 for the PC has been revealed.
Producer blogs have confirmed the official title as being NBA Live 10, following the naming convention reintroduced with NBA Live 06 and previously used for NBA Live 95 through NBA Live 99. It is also informally referred to as NBA Live 2010.
Official Features List
- Enhanced User Control: Brings you never before user control gameplay whether it’s your handle, how you drop dimes or finish – you take control.
- Feel the Intensity: Feel the emotion and intensity grow as the electricity inside the arena intensifies dynamically based on rivalry games, time of year, and what’s on the line.
- Dynamic DNA: The brain behind the game is powered by Synergy Sports Technology - the premier analytics provider using NBA data for over 25 NBA teams – which evaluates Player DNA that breaks down how a player scores, Team DNA that rates how the players on the floor play as a unit and Tendencies that refer to the percentage a player drives left, right or shoots from each spot on the floor.
- Authentic Team Styles of Play: Slow it down or pick up the tempo based on your teams real style. Bring it all home with authentic NBA playbooks.
- The Hangar: Test out your moves with the best NBA players in new, cutting edge basketball facility.
- Dynamic Season: Think you can help your team make the playoffs with a couple of end of the season wins? Now you can with the most integrated season mode ever created in a sports game. Tied directly to the NBA Season via Dynamic DNA, now you change the outcome of games as they happen in real life. Step up during crunch time and you can change history and make your own 2010 NBA Finals based on real life data.
- LIVE Run: Step on the court the with best of the best in the NBA in an online mode that captures the social play of basketball – The Run. Deck out your favorite players in custom jerseys and shoes and hit the court. Create a team with friends or just show up and run...
- Gameplay, Gameplay, Gameplay: With an overhauled gameplay system, NBA LIVE 10 brings the most fluid basketball experience ever seen in the LIVE franchise. From an all new player movement system to improved AI for your teammates, and from a revamped passing system to the numerous options you have when attacking the basket, NBA LIVE 10 recreates the speed, intensity and creativity of basketball to an unparalleled degree.
- Authentic Presentation: From hearing the crowd in Toronto boo Vince Carter when he touches the ball, to seeing LeBron do his trademark chalk toss, NBA LIVE 10 captures all the excitement and passion of an NBA game. A player underperforming? Powered by Dynamic DNA, evolving storylines throughout the season keep the commentary fresh so that when you hit the final games of the regular season you’re still hearing something new.
- Player Differentiation: From fast breaks to owning the paint, some players are just better at some aspects of the game than others. In NBA LIVE 10 players mimic their real life counterparts with an alarming degree of accuracy. From speedy point guards to lumbering centers, each individual player will feel uniquely different.
- Throwback Jerseys: Throwback jerseys, shoes and more—With throwback, holiday and cultural jerseys, deck your favorite team in some nostalgia. With over 500 shoes in the game that update throughout the course of the season and authentic tattoos on 75 of the top players in the league, NBA LIVE 10 is as real as videogame basketball gets.
- Dynasty Mode: Take control of your favorite franchise from plays on the court to moves in the front office. Guide the team to a title, or a run of titles, it’s all up to you.
- FIBA World Championships: Select from 24 authentic national teams to set up an international tournament and play your way to number one in the world.
- Extend Your Game with EASPORTS.com: Create your own highlight mix then upload the video to EASPORTS.com to prove you got game.
Developmentinterview with IGN, both O'Brien and Wang outlined a focus on improving the product and avoiding the mistakes of the past, though suggested it might not be possible to fix all the "cracks in (the) foundation" within one production cycle.
Forum and blog posts by producer Marcus Stephenson have revealed that emphasis will be placed on developing more accurate shot trajectories for specific players as well as increased backboard usage for players who like to go glass and amongst the generic layups that will be in the game. A further blog post by producer Matt Lafreniere inviting feedback on the audio in NBA Live 09 and desired improvements in NBA Live 10 also revealed that Marv Albert and Steve Kerr will return as NBA Live's announce team, making NBA Live 10 the fifth game to feature Albert and Kerr on commentary and Albert's seventh appearance in the NBA Live series.
A post by Mike Wang in the Operation Sports forum revealed that NBA Live 10 will abandon the approach of one button for jumpshots and one for dunks and layups. The revelation was met with some skepticism but it has been revealed that the change will not compromise user control over shooting. Shot types will be determined by context as well as the direct of the left analog stick and whether or not the player is holding turbo. For more information, see Shooting Controls in NBA Live 10.
Mike Wang also confirmed that the dribbling animations will completely redone in NBA Live 10, with no previous Quick Strike Ankle Breakers animations being utilised. Signature dribbling styles will also be featured in NBA Live 10 to give players a further sense of realism and individuality.
On June 17th, lead producer posted a blog on the Inside EA Sports website hinting at various improvements while reaffirming the Dev Team's commitment to improving gameplay and "fixing the cracks in the foundation". In addition to outlining some of the details that would be revealed in future producer blogs, Sean also revealed the presence of pre-game rituals with a work-in-progress screenshot of LeBron James' chalk toss.
Retro jerseys will be available to use in NBA Live 10, as well as special jerseys such as St Patrick's Day and Latin Night jerseys. This marks the first time that NBA Live will feature retro jerseys on the current generation of consoles.
NBA Live 10 received more positive reviews than its recent predecessors, garnering a score of 8.2 on IGN and a Metascore of 80 (equating to "generally favorable") on Metacritic. It was also fairly well-received by the community, with its gameplay improvements widely lauded. However, the lack of game modes and issues with Dynasty Mode were met with criticism from gamers and critics alike.
To date, two official updates have been released to address issues with the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 versions of NBA Live 10. In addition to several bug fixes, the first update also added a backdown button to the game's controls. Opinion is divided as to whether some of the changes have made the game better than it was out of the box.
NBA Live 10 has been nominated in the In-Game Cinematic category of the Canadian Videogame Awards. The presentation of the award will be made during the ceremony to be held May 5th 2010 in Vancouver, BC.
Codes & Downloadable Content
Twenty four codes for NBA Live 10 have been released, which unlock additional alternate and retro jerseys as well as a variety of new shoes in different colourways.
On December 10th 2009, the Holiday Shoe Pack was released for Xbox Live Gold Subscribers and later made available to Xbox Live Silver subscribers as well as Playstation 3 users. On February 4th 2010 EA Sports released an All-Star Weekend Pack, adding the updated East and West All-Star jerseys for the 2010 NBA All-Star Weekend in Dallas, for Xbox Live Gold subscribers. Xbox Live Silver subscribers and Playstation 3 users were be able to download the pack the following week.
2011 Season Updates
After NBA Elite 11 was cancelled, EA Sports revealed that they would continue pushing through roster updates for NBA Live 10 during the 2010/2011 season. This included adding new rookies to the game, and continuing to update the DNA data through EA's partnership with Synergy Sports Technology.
Xbox 360 Version Screens
- Official Website
- NLSC NBA Live 10 Portal
- IGN: New Team, New Direction
- Inside EA Sports Blog: A Little Piece of Info on NBA LIVE 10
- Inside EA Sports Blog: NBA LIVE 10 Audio feedback wanted
- NBA Live 10 Cover Website
- NBA Live 10 Cover Press Release
- GamingAccess.com: NBA Live 10 won't be available for PC
- Inside EA Sports: NBA LIVE 10 - LIVE is Back!
- Inside EA Sports: EA Canada Titles Receive Nominations at 1st Annual Canadian Videogame Awards
NBA Live 09
NBA Elite 11