NBA Live 97
|NBA Live 97|
NBA Live 97 cover art.
|Platform(s)||Windows, Super Nintendo, Playstation, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn|
|Release date(s)|| Super Nintendo|
August 1st, 1996
November 1st, 1996
December 16th, 1996
May 27th, 1997
|System requirements|| Minimum:
NBA Live 97 (also known as NBA 97 or Live 97 and stylised as NBA LIVE 97) is the third instalment in the NBA Live series, released in North America on December 16th, 1996 for the PC with the original Playstation version being released on November 1st, the Sega Saturn version on May 27th, 1997 and the Super Nintendo version on August 1st, 1996. Mitch Richmond was featured as its cover player. It is the direct sequel to NBA Live 96 and was followed by NBA Live 98.
NBA Live 97 is EA Sports' NBA release for the 1996/1997 NBA season. The game was criticised by some at the time for failing to address some of the gameplay/AI issues that had gone unresolved through the first two games in the series, but did feature significantly improved graphics with bulkier player models, more detailed team jerseys and greater facial detail (though player faces were still created using generic facial features). The PC CD-ROM release contained two versions of the game, an MS-DOS version and Windows 95 version. The NLSC released a tool that allowed users to transfer data between versions, so rosters created for one version could be used with the other. Rosters themselves were edited using two tools, the NBA Live 97 Editor and the NBA Live 97 Team Editor.
Official Features List
- New texture-mapped polygon players
- New "Player Card" portraits and Cool Facs.
- Individual team uniforms and player heads.
- 3D rendered Virtual Stadium™ home arenas for all 29 teams.
- New Motion Capture technology.
- Reverse layups 'n' dunks, jump hooks and finger rolls.
- Plus crossover dribbles, alley-oops, tip slams and behind-the-back passes.
Real NBA Basketball
- Over 60 offensive and 10 defensive sets.
- All 29 NBA teams plus 2 NBA All-Star and 4 Custom teams.
- 1996-97 updated rosters.
- Animated play diagrams.
- On-the-fly playcalling.
- NBA PA announcer.
- Music, Sound and Video.
- Exhibition, Playoffs and full 1996-97 NBA schedule Season play.
NBA Live has SHAQ!
- Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley appeared as "Roster Players" as they could not be included due to licensing issues. Shaquille O'Neal's presence in the game was one of the key features as Shaq did not appear in any other NBA video games released at the same time for similar legal reasons.
- NBA Live 97 was the first game to feature a 15 player roster. The PC version also featured 100 Create-a-Player slots.
- Expanding upon the trivia included in NBA Live 96, NBA Live 97 featured audio "Cool Facts" for prominent NBA players.
NBA Live 96
NBA Live 98