It’s been a few months since the initial release, but NLSC Forum member Dr B has released a new version of his prototype basketball game, Hoop Universe. As previously mentioned, Hoop Universe utilises a retro aesthetic and style of gameplay, similar to Double Dribble and early NBA Live games. Key features of the latest release are as follows:
- Added dribbling and crossover animations.
- Added athletic stance/squat animations (currently cannot move from squat but this will be used for shuffling, step backs, etc.)
- Added player indicator and name to player’s shadow.
- Added indicator to nearest player (will be used for various offensive off-ball controls)
- Added more detailed hoops to practice screen in horizontal and vertical camera angles.
- Added teammates to practice scene.
- Added layering system to allow for a 3D effect.
- Added gamepad support.
- KNOWN BUG: Game Crashes if attempting to change leagues at player select screen.
The game is available free in our Downloads section; pick up the Windows version here, and the Mac version here! Dr B is currently adding new animations to the game, and is working on a free throw shooting system. Feedback is most welcome in this topic in the NLSC Forum, where you’ll also find further information, previews, and support for the project.