NBA Live 10 - Editing opportunities

Talk about NBA Live 10 here.

NBA Live 10 - Editing opportunities

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:05 am

GPPatrol gave me the idea to check if Live 10 from PS3 can be opened.
And yes, i achieve to open .big files from NBA Live 10 PS3

You have to download quickbms.exe on http://aluigi.altervista.org/quickbms.htm
then ea_big4.bms

Launch quickbms.exe in CLI, open ea_big4.bms, select big files, select export folder and lets the magic begins.

I dont know yet if the process is reversible or what can be exploited.
sticky-fingers

Re: NBA Live 10 - Editing opportunities

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:23 am

Worth looking into for sure!
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Beedy on Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:29 pm

Big files with .bh can be edit using fifaFS or GhFear's bat tool for it.
https://zenhax.com/viewtopic.php?t=7482#p47228
My tool for NHL support also for NBA files both rx2(X360) rpsgl(PS3).
https://app.box.com/s/k7nrb9p867x178k7bwrl9oxg3rttiu31
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/ea-sports-nhl-legacy/926860-xbox-360-legacy-texture-modding.html
Beedy

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:57 pm

Beedy wrote:Big files with .bh can be edit using fifaFS or GhFear's bat tool for it.
https://zenhax.com/viewtopic.php?t=7482#p47228
My tool for NHL support also for NBA files both rx2(X360) rpsgl(PS3).
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/ea-sports-nhl-legacy/926860-xbox-360-legacy-texture-modding.html

Well, it doesnt seem to work properly or in the same way

First of all, to extract big files, we have to use ea_big4.bms

It works i got an export folder with files and subfolders

Then for example, i want to extract C:\Live 10\OUT\data\fe\artassets\stadium\stadium_1.big

it doesnt work with ea_big4.bms but it works with LAUNCH EA BIG TOOL > Option 5
it gaves me 6 files called 0, 1, 2, 3 ,sg1 and sg2 (no extension)

and that's where i'm stuck
sticky-fingers

Postby Beedy on Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:15 am

I tested with NBA 10 demo and .big inside /fe folder isn't common big files (maybe there is issue in data.big). Some bigs inside big for example fe/external/ion_online/artassets(clubtrophies/trophy0.big is common (BIG4/BIGF) file. All graphics inside fe-folder that are packed in .big files is menu graphics files and my tools doesn't support menu graphics. You can mod in-game graphics which found in data/gfx/sceneassets/fxsimple. Textures and models are both .rpsgl files but filename tells which is texture file.
Beedy

Postby Beedy on Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:14 am

sticky-fingers wrote:Then for example, i want to extract C:\Live 10\OUT\data\fe\artassets\stadium\stadium_1.big

it doesnt work with ea_big4.bms but it works with LAUNCH EA BIG TOOL > Option 5
it gaves me 6 files called 0, 1, 2, 3 ,sg1 and sg2 (no extension)

and that's where i'm stuck

If you put extension .rpsgl to largest file (maybe file called 2) you can edit it using RX2 Patcher. I updated the tool for fixing crash when reading file names from artassets files with rpsgl extension.
Beedy

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:48 pm

Beedy wrote:I tested with NBA 10 demo and .big inside /fe folder isn't common big files (maybe there is issue in data.big). Some bigs inside big for example fe/external/ion_online/artassets(clubtrophies/trophy0.big is common (BIG4/BIGF) file. All graphics inside fe-folder that are packed in .big files is menu graphics files and my tools doesn't support menu graphics. You can mod in-game graphics which found in data/gfx/sceneassets/fxsimple. Textures and models are both .rpsgl files but filename tells which is texture file.

You've still got the PS3 demo? We've been trying to track that down to archive it in the Downloads section.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Beedy on Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:37 pm

Andrew wrote:You've still got the PS3 demo? We've been trying to track that down to archive it in the Downloads section.

I downloaded it here just for file format testing.
https://store.brewology.com/demos.php?letters=mnop
Beedy

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:42 pm

Ah, excellent.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:48 pm

Beedy wrote:I tested with NBA 10 demo and .big inside /fe folder isn't common big files (maybe there is issue in data.big). Some bigs inside big for example fe/external/ion_online/artassets(clubtrophies/trophy0.big is common (BIG4/BIGF) file. All graphics inside fe-folder that are packed in .big files is menu graphics files and my tools doesn't support menu graphics. You can mod in-game graphics which found in data/gfx/sceneassets/fxsimple. Textures and models are both .rpsgl files but filename tells which is texture file.

Beedy wrote:If you put extension .rpsgl to largest file (maybe file called 2) you can edit it using RX2 Patcher. I updated the tool for fixing crash when reading file names from artassets files with rpsgl extension.

Wow :D thanx for those details Beedy, and for the tools too (Y)

edit : so yeah, it's actually possible to (at least) export textures, i've succeed to extract courts and faces

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:35 pm

Awesome! Hopefully some stuff can be put to good use. As I've said before, getting that fictional Warriors jersey texture would be handy.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:46 pm

i will look for this texture. and yeah, logos, hardwood floors textures could be useful resources.

and for someone who is motivated, its perhaps possible to update the game (at least the graphics)

a limitation of Beedy's tool is that you can only open one file (if im not wrong), it exports multiple textures, but they have the same name (1.dds 2.dds etc...)
so if you dont change the destination folder, files from another source overwrite the previous export
sticky-fingers

Postby Beedy on Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:13 pm

sticky-fingers wrote:i will look for this texture. and yeah, logos, hardwood floors textures could be useful resources.

and for someone who is motivated, its perhaps possible to update the game (at least the graphics)

a limitation of Beedy's tool is that you can only open one file (if im not wrong), it exports multiple textures, but they have the same name (1.dds 2.dds etc...)
so if you dont change the destination folder, files from another source overwrite the previous export

Yes, texture tool doesn't support multiple files at the same time. I modified rpsgl script for Noesis:https://richwhitehouse.com/index.php?content=inc_projects.php to view textures and you can easily locate/view the texture you want to mod and then use Rx2 Patcher to mod files. My tool reads texture names directly from the rpsgl/rx2 file but there is no name section in stadium_container files so that's why first texture in container is 1.dds...second 2.dds... and so on. Noesis script in attachment, put the script in plugins/python folder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beedy

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:23 pm

Andrew wrote:getting that fictional Warriors jersey texture would be handy.

the 8.10 one i suppose ?

Beedy wrote:Yes, texture tool doesn't support multiple files at the same time. I modified rpsgl script for Noesis:https://richwhitehouse.com/index.php?content=inc_projects.php to view textures and you can easily locate/view the texture you want to mod and then use Rx2 Patcher to mod files. My tool reads texture names directly from the rpsgl/rx2 file but there is no name section in stadium_container files so that's why first texture in container is 1.dds...second 2.dds... and so on. Noesis script in attachment, put the script in plugins/python folder.
[ Image ]

Great, thanx again for the update and the explanations (Y)
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:30 pm

That's the one! The third and fourth ones ones in the top row (the alpha and the texture). Designed for a contest and included in NBA Live 09 as free DLC, then left over in NBA Live 10.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:45 pm

here's a pack with all jerseys'Warriors

jersey.7z
sticky-fingers

Postby Beedy on Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:36 pm

Andrew wrote:(the alpha and the texture)

Abbreviations in texture names means:
_cm = color map
_nm = normal map
_am = ambient map
_sm = specular map
_em = emission map

Normal map used for making bump structure for texture.
Beedy

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:34 pm

sticky-fingers wrote:here's a pack with all jerseys'Warriors

jersey.7z

Awesome, thanks!
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:10 am

OK, so I took the texture, resized it to 256x256, imported it into NBA Live 08's files, and...

It works!

It doesn't look quite right because I haven't added an alpha layer for the lighting, or done anything with the numbers; I wasn't about to waste time doing that before finding out if the texture was readily compatible. It sure seems to be though, so that's very encouraging. Just goes to show they didn't change much with the files from PS2 to PS3, just the resolution.

I'll have to give the extraction a try myself, but sticky, if I can trouble you for one more request in the meantime, could you please grab me the New Orleans Hornets' jersey textures? Specifically the OKC Valentine's Day one, but if it's easier to export all and archive them as you did with the Warriors, that'd be fine on my end.

The default textures from 2005-08 are probably too small to use without sacrificing quality, but maybe some of the 2x and 4x jersey mods for 06 in particular could be compatible the other way as well.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:32 am

Thanx to the new preview plugin, it was easier to find the right number for the team ID

so here's your request

18.7z
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:45 am

Great! Thanks for that.

Looking again, I noticed the Warriors' shorts are off, so that'll require some tweaking to that half of the texture. Still, these textures provide a great base to work from, so that's really cool.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:49 am

Glad it helps
2K uses to change the jersey mapping so i'm not surprise that EA did the same (perhaps the evolution of the 3D jersey/short model)
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:05 am

So yeah, the trim on the jerseys isn't aligned quite the same and the singlet might also need some adjustment, but I imagine that's very feasible. Definitely a big shortcut, so thanks again!

Anyway, that's one application/benefit of extracting files from NBA Live 10. I won't derail the topic any further with it, but yeah, definitely something to work on/with. (Y)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby kg54mvp on Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:17 am

Hey all,
I am working on editing an rpsgl file by extracting the dds. I imported them back in, and have tried every type of compression and minimapping, and this is the result I get. Any ideas?
https://imgur.com/a/Stqi3ET
kg54mvp

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:16 am

dds isnt a unique format, it has various type and compression options, so your issue is probably that you didnt save with the right parameters (which i dont know)

ps : who's this player ?
sticky-fingers

Next

Return to NBA Live 10