NLSC Podcast #521: No NBA License? No Problem!

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: NLSC Podcast #383: It's Still All Speculation

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:49 am

Mailbag Call for Episode #384! We'll of course be talking about all the NBA 2K22 news, so let us know what's on your mind!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #384: A Couple of Pre-Ordering, PC Nerds

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:30 pm

NLSC Podcast #384: A Couple of Pre-Ordering, PC Nerds

Hosts: Andrew & Dee4Three

The cover players, release date, and pre-order bonuses for NBA 2K22 have been revealed, confirming leaks and speculation, and drawing some boorish comments about one player in particular. Unfortunately, the PC version will be a prior gen port once again this year, and we have some thoughts to share on that. Despite the remarks of one wannabe content creator, PC gamers have a right to be dismayed...and to play NBA 2K, for that matter. The lack of a demo on all platforms is likewise disappointing. Elsewhere, a Tweet mentioning a partnership between LeBron James and EA has people talking, though we don't want to get ahead of ourselves (again). We also touch on Steam Deck, and some listener responses to last week's mailbag topics.

Tune in here!

Join in the conversation right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as mailbag questions and topic suggestions for future episodes. The show also comes out on our YouTube channel, so be sure to subscribe for future episodes and other video content.

Never miss an episode by subscribing to the NLSC Podcast on Apple Podcasts or Spotify! You can also find us on Stitcher.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby RayRay_953 on Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:53 am

Dee getting into MyTEAM? Hopefully, he can enjoy the experience for the first few months or so before the overpowered cards and toxicity make the mode look like a joke. It's a shame how it once was a mode where you could assemble the team of your dreams turned into "let's give everybody high ratings and make the gameplay feel horrible" in the process. Nevertheless, good luck with your MyTEAM experience.
RayRay_953

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:22 am

RayRay_953 wrote:Dee getting into MyTEAM? Hopefully, he can enjoy the experience for the first few months or so before the overpowered cards and toxicity make the mode look like a joke. It's a shame how it once was a mode where you could assemble the team of your dreams turned into "let's give everybody high ratings and make the gameplay feel horrible" in the process. Nevertheless, good luck with your MyTEAM experience.

Thank you! We will see how it goes.

Fingers crossed that they put the time and effort in to give the PC version a much needed gameplay tuning. The recent games should feel much better out of the box (default) than they do.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:37 am

For me, the key to enjoying MyTEAM has been to spend no money, and not play online. The OP and inaccurate cards still bug me of course, but at least I'm not running into stacked teams and dealing with all the toxicity; just collecting cards at my own pace, playing some challenges, and hitting up the various submodes.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:04 pm

Putting out this week's Mailbag Call. We'll of course be discussing the NBA 2K22 news, but let us know what else is on your mind, and what you'd like us to talk about!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #385: Stop Me If You've Heard This One

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:59 pm

NLSC Podcast #385: Stop Me If You've Heard This One

Parsec continues to impress, as we've now found a way to play NBA Jam: On Fire Edition by using it in conjunction with the Xbox One app. Between NBA Live 10 and the two NBA Jam games from EA Sports, we're deeply entrenched in a 2009-2011 retro basketball gaming kick! Looking to the future, we've had our first glimpse of NBA 2K22. The game is set to feature the best Dirk Nowitzki face we've ever seen, but we're sceptical about some of the touted gameplay improvements. On the other hand, matchmaking in The City and Seasons in MyCAREER sound promising. Meanwhile, EA Play gave us little hope for the future of NBA Live, leading us to join our fellow gamers in lament. We also reflect on our favourite teams to use in Play Now games.

Tune in here!

Join in the conversation right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as mailbag questions and topic suggestions for future episodes. The show also comes out on our YouTube channel, so be sure to subscribe for future episodes and other video content.

Never miss an episode by subscribing to the NLSC Podcast on Apple Podcasts or Spotify! You can also find us on Stitcher.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #385: Stop Me If You've Heard This One

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:26 pm

Mailbag Call for Episode #386! Let us know what's on your mind this week!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #386: Don't Forget to Pump Fake

Postby Andrew on Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:04 pm

NLSC Podcast #386: Don't Forget to Pump Fake

We've been sinking our teeth into Road Trip in NBA Jam: On Fire Edition, as the co-op experience has proven to be a blast. The more we've played, the more we've been able to develop chemistry and hone our strategies. Speaking of which, we discuss moves and techniques that are all too easily overlooked, and some of the most unstoppable moves and players in basketball video games. We also react to the latest vague update on NBA Live, and the prospect of a F2P model for sim basketball games. Additionally, reflecting on our forthcoming 25th Anniversary leads to a story about the community circa 2004.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Ermolli on Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:36 am

I was surprised to hear Andrew curse in the podcast. I've listened him being bothered or angry before in previous episodes but this caught me off-guard, that sure made your blood boil and with good reason; people online can be extra petty (for lack of a better word), specially behind animosity.

I've no trouble learning new moves during practice and I can see myself applying them during a game, but when I get into 5 on 5 I forget them or get blocked and end up playing simple. I barely play isos unless there's a big mismatch and keep it simple with a couple moves, I prefer to move the ball and find an open man. This even translates to other games like FIFA which I barely make skill moves.
Maybe this is one of the reasons why I haven't played online or bothered playing via Parsec, I'd feel overwhelmed or not up to the same level as the others.

Having that said, I prefer that there are a wide variety of options in controls instead of restricting them. Yesterday I played NBA Live 10 with one of my brothers and despite him having a good time, he missed the controls NBA 2K21 has which I understand. He felt restricted in things he wanted to do manually which one can get used to, which could be said that that is one of the reasons one can have a hard time going back playing retro games.
Ermolli

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:40 am

It's something I usually avoid, at least in professional settings! We Aussies do have a reputation for using swearing like punctuation, and I can definitely be like that myself. Normally I wouldn't on the podcast, but yeah, those are some unpleasant memories!

That's kind of how I feel about advanced moves at times. I definitely agree that the depth is necessary. Fortunately games are usually designed in a way that playing smart with the basics still works, but those moves should still be there if you need them. How did you enjoy NBA Live 10? It feels like I can't get enough of it, 12 years later!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Ermolli on Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:59 pm

That's why I'm glad that playcalling and off-ball controls have improved in the last ten years. Going back to games like NBA Live 06 can be tough because of that, calling for a simple pick is kinda cumbersome which one would say that it's a critical thing in basketball.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to play it much, mainly because I've been watching the Olympics as much as possible, but I've been having fun with it. Maybe it doesn't have the expanded controls of newer 2K games and has some animation quirks and annoyances; but it feel really good and fluid, it controls incredibly well and I love how good the off-ball control works, things that I find that the following games of the franchise don't have. It holds quite well and is my favourite Live since 06 (PC version).
Ermolli

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:17 am

Completely agree, and it's become one of my favourites after becoming my retro kick this year. If nothing else, it's been so refreshing not to worry about grinding for in-game currency and upgrades and whatnot.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Ermolli on Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:16 am

After listening you talk about great players in videogames, can you think of players who maybe have been underwhelming in videogames? Perhaps because their abilities don't translate well in videogame form, maybe because of their shot release or simply because you couldn't use them properly.

About unstoppable players, I remember back in NBA Live 2005 one friend showed me his Clippers dynasty which he dominated, winning consecutive NBA titles. His starting five had (via trades and guess exploiting the AI) Shaq, Garnett, two All-Star type players and Marko Jaric. Despite having a talented team, he told me his favourite player was Jaric which I couldn't really believe until he showed me his stats. He was number one in assists and steals in the league, and trained him until he got 99 in steals.
One I played against his team and Jaric was suffocating, whenever I crossed mid-court my friend had him glued to my point guard and getting tons of steals despite my best efforts. Quite frustrating but fair play to him, didn't try to spam the steal button against me but he sure did against the CPU.
Ermolli

Postby Andrew on Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:47 am

Great question! We've got an interview with Leftos going up in today's show, but that'll be a fun topic to discuss when we record next.

That's definitely a big part of the fun in franchise modes, creating those alternate realities where players become virtual hardwood legends. That's the first I've heard of Jaric becoming a superstar, but that's really cool.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #387: The Return of Leftos (Part 1)

Postby Andrew on Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:45 pm

NLSC Podcast #387: The Return of Leftos (Part 1)

Special Guest: Leftos

It's the Return of Leftos! The former NLSC Team member and original host of the show joins us to talk about his eight years working at Visual Concepts, where he is now the Lead Software Engineer Backend on the NBA 2K series. We talk about his work on the game's various franchise modes, and the dedication to the franchise experience even as modes such as MyCAREER and MyTEAM have become more popular. The concept of realism in franchise modes is also brought up, along with Leftos' background in basketball. Oh, and the importance of adding some unruly geese in The City.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:11 am

Glad to see Leftos return to the site and catch up with him. Every time I hear his story, it inspires me to try to get into the video game industry and It's so impressive to me that he did all of that work on those tools that has benefited our community for so long. There's even a VC office in Southern California but I never really know how to get into it with no video game industry experience.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:31 am

I think the opportunities will always be there, since they have hired a few people from the community over the years. That's not to say it's easy, but as you said, it's inspiring to hear the stories of people who broke into the industry.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:13 pm

Well, I just saw they have a QA Playtester position open in Orange County here. It's a bit of a drive, but I applied for it anyways to see if they hit me up!
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:54 pm

Awesome, fingers crossed!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #388: The Return of Leftos (Part 2)

Postby Andrew on Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:56 pm

NLSC Podcast #388: The Return of Leftos (Part 2)

Special Guest: Leftos

It's the second and final part of the triumphant return of Leftos to the show! In Part 2, we discuss the impact and importance of the community wishlists. On that note, we've got some suggestions for further customisation in MyNBA. Leftos reveals some interesting insights into a few of the programming challenges he's faced so far, the reasons behind certain design choices, and some of the technical roadblocks that stand in the way of adding new features. He also talks about what it's been like to develop video games during the pandemic, and names his favourite NBA 2K game that he's worked on so far.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #388: The Return of Leftos (Part 2)

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:46 am

Mailbag Call for Episode #389! We're back to our regular episodes this week.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #389: The Developers Who Cried Skill Gap

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:08 am

NLSC Podcast #389: The Developers Who Cried Skill Gap

We're back to our regularly scheduled programming this week, and there's a tiny bit of NBA 2K22 news to cover! There's also some controversy as Ronnie 2K's ratings Tweets are drawing the ire of players, and for that matter, their wives. We also reflect on recent retro basketball gaming sessions, which have featured NCAA Basketball 09, and further progress in NBA Jam: On Fire Edition's Road Trip. Revisiting NBA 2K14 has also illuminated some startling changes to MyCAREER over the years. In the return of the listener mailbag, we suggest some examples of underrated players in various video games over the years.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #390: Well, It's No Garfield Kart!

Postby Andrew on Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:44 pm

NLSC Podcast #390: Well, It's No Garfield Kart!

After reflecting on a major milestone, we turn our attention to the new 2K NextMakers program. It's not something we're likely to be a part of, and we have our concerns about its effectiveness. Meanwhile, our first game of NBA Live 10 in a few weeks produced one of the most memorable moments either of us have ever experienced on the virtual hardwood. We also continue to marvel at the detail in the last great NBA Live release. Elsewhere, prices are rising for video game collectors, and it's beginning to affect hoops titles as well. There's some NBA 2K22 news, but it's difficult to muster excitement about go-karts in MyCAREER. In this week's mailbag, we discuss the status of two former NBA 2K developers, and roster inaccuracies.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #390: Well, It's No Garfield Kart!

Postby Ermolli on Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:49 am

I remember being interested in the AND1 Streetball videogame back then and was quite hyped for it thanks to the show, which I watched it whenever it appeared on ESPN (specially during the summer). Unfortunately I couldn't find a copy where I lived because it wasn't as popular as Live or 2K.

A more grounded streetball/NBA Street could be interesting but I'm not sure there could be enough demand to justify making one. EA released like 10 years ago a rebooted FIFA Street which was more "sim", without extra arcade stuff. I thought that it played great but didn't do well sales-wise and was considered a flop. Perhaps when people want from non-regular releases is something out of the box, more arcade so it feels different from a standard sports game, that's why there hasn't been many attempts for a simcade game. Maybe an indie company could give it a try but I don't think a big company would invest in that.

It's ridiculous that it's getting more expensive to buy old games, even those that are relatively "new". For example it's getting really tough to buy an Origin key of FIFA 16, not even a physical copy; it's almost always out of stock and whenever it's available it's more expensive than this year's game. I'm not that sure but I think it'll get more difficult to collect games in the future with the shift to digital releases, less physical copies and by companies removing games from the digital stores; hope I'm wrong though.
Ermolli

PreviousNext

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard