Monday Tip-Off: Video Game Teams

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: Monday Tip-Off: The Preview Season Sucks (And It Won't Change)

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:07 pm

Monday Tip-Off: The Preview Season Sucks (And It Won't Change)

Yeah, I said it. I suppose I could've said it more eloquently. I could have said that the preview season has become a monumental annual disappointment. It would be more poetic to say that the preview season was once more like a succulent banquet that we couldn't wait to feast upon, but is now an unappetising meal that leaves us wanting so much more. There's a multitude of flowery adjectives and colourful similes that I could use to make my point here, but sometimes, blunter is better. And to be blunt, the preview season for basketball games now sucks.

It's been that way for a while, but it feels as though it's plumbing new depths. We're less than a month away from the release of NBA 2K22, and there's been barely any news, and seemingly even less excitement and hype. Granted, there are things in the world that are more important than a basketball video game, but that's always been the case, and escapism is a prized commodity right now. Unfortunately, a combination of relative silence and growing frustration within the basketball gaming community has turned what was once an exciting part of the year into a dull march to the release date. I hate that many of us have become so cynical and unenthused, but it's not our fault.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: New Millennium Nostalgia

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:28 pm

Monday Tip-Off: New Millennium Nostalgia

Although I've still got a number of very old titles I'd like to cover in my Wayback Wednesday features, at some point, I will have talked about almost all of the classics. Of course, they can be revisited in new and interesting ways, but eventually I'll have covered all of the really old basketball games that I feasibly can. However, the beauty of Wayback Wednesday is that as time moves on, everything becomes "wayback" relative to the present, and people start feeling nostalgic for a new era. As such, there'll always be something to talk about in Wayback Wednesday.

With that being said, just last year I wrote an article pondering the future of basketball gaming nostalgia. At the time, I wondered if basketball gamers would continue to feel nostalgic as the years went by. As I mentioned in that article, there is somewhat of a backlash against nostalgia in recent times, and it isn't something that everybody likes to indulge in. Almost a year and a half later, I'm seeing answers to questions that I raised in that article. I'm noticing more and more nostalgia for games that came out in the new millennium, in addition to trailblazing classics from the 80s and 90s. It's not just younger gamers who are feeling it either, as I find myself partaking in it, too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Reviewing New Basketball Game

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:22 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Reviewing New Basketball Game

In the interests of transparency, I've toyed around with the idea of writing an article like this for some time. However, after reading this delightfully meta piece over on Kotaku, I believe that it's only fair that I should credit it for inspiring me to actually go through with it. Besides, it's not as though I invited parody or satire. As it stands, The Friday Five is, shall we say, "heavily inspired" by the format of Cracked's articles (or BuzzFeed, or anyone else producing "listicle" content, I suppose). My Wayback Wednesday feature shares its name with a popular social media hashtag.

The point is that I cannot claim one hundred percent originality in my content. Of course, that's only appropriate when I discuss the approach that so many influencers and video game journalists have towards reviewing the New Basketball Game every year. So many basketball game reviews are copy and paste fare, though again, some might argue that it's apt given the genre. They seldom demonstrate insight into the sport - real or virtual - and neglect the nagging legacy issues that ardent basketball gamers want to know about. So many reviews are puff pieces and glorified press releases. I don't share them anymore, because they all sound something like this.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Vanilla Basketball Gaming

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:53 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Vanilla Basketball Gaming

Over the years, there are two initiatives within our community that have gone a long way in improving the basketball gaming experience after a title is released: modding, and slider tweaks. Mods have added missing content, created new experiences such as retro, college, and foreign league rosters, and attempted to fix issues with the games wherever possible. When it comes to refining the gameplay, devising the right slider adjustments has made a huge difference for many gamers. In short, few would say that playing the game as-is - vanilla basketball gaming, if you will - is optimal.

During my time as a content creator in the basketball gaming community, I've created roster mods, and I've devised sets of slider tweaks. I've also installed other people's mods, and tried out their sliders. However, I have to admit that my basketball gaming habits have changed over the past decade or so, to the point where you might say that I'm playing a vanilla game. This isn't because I don't appreciate the hard work of our modding community, nor is it because I believe that games can't be improved upon with slider tweaks. Rather, a combination of my preferred modes, primary platform, and even my content creation habits, have led to more vanilla basketball gaming.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:34 pm

Nice article, and totally the opposite experience for me.
Since 2K18, i play only "play now" / quick games, so i really want and try to have a better gameplay and visual experience, modding the game as hell with sliders, and mods from the community and those i create.
But playing quick games with Live 10 on RPCS3 gave me back this vanilla feeling i had before PC gaming/modding.
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:50 am

I expect I'll gravitate back towards that now that I'm leaving MyCAREER and the connected modes behind. Although with the exhibition games I've been playing, I've been trying to create different scenarios using default assets, whether it's moving a few players around on classic teams to change the year, or makeshift retro teams in NBA Live 10's Fantasy Teams mode.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Why We Pretend & Defend Games

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:11 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Why We Pretend & Defend Games

This is a difficult topic to broach without sounding snobby, or as though I'm accusing anyone who likes something that I dislike of being ignorant, easily pleased, or a shill. That line of thinking is just as toxic and unconstructive as fanboyism and shilling, and equally fallacious. We all have different tastes and expectations, as well as thresholds of satisfaction and disappointment. When someone sees fit to defend games that they enjoy, there isn't necessarily anything pretend about it. Those are their honest feelings about the game, and genuine reasons for their enjoyment.

And yet, there are times that we do pretend when we defend games. We've all done it at some point. It doesn't always mean that we don't enjoy them, but to a certain extent we're lying - both to others and to ourselves - about a game's overall quality (or lack thereof). In the most extreme cases, it is indeed shilling for a title, or at the very least fanboyism polluting the discourse. However, there are innocent and understandable reasons that we attempt to pretend that everything's fine and defend games; even when there's no drawback to being critical (or indeed, it would actually benefit us to speak out on the issues). Unfortunately, they make it difficult to curb the habit.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: The Upper End of the Demographic

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:21 pm

Monday Tip-Off: The Upper End of the Demographic

For all the criticism that The Simpsons receives for staying on the air as long as it has, it continues to be referenced in memes. Such is its impact on pop culture, and online discourse. There are two references to The Simpsons that are frequently trotted out to comment on age, and not surprisingly, they both involve that lovable curmudgeon, Abraham Simpson. In a flashback where a young Homer mocks Abe for being out of touch, Abe very ominously warns that when it comes to no longer being "with it", it'll also happen to Homer one day. Abe is also the infamous old man yelling at a cloud.

Now that I'm around Homer's canonical age, I have to admit that I'm starting to feel what he felt in that episode. At the same time, I also relate to what Abe was talking about. Even though we Millennials are still copping flak from older generations, to Gen Z, we're "old heads", too. We grew up admiring different players, and the video games we played didn't have microtransactions. Our expectations are therefore quite different, and it's apparent that many features are not aimed at us. As I said, I'm far closer to Homer in age than I am to Abe, but as I find myself at the upper end of the basketball gaming demographic, Grampa's warning thus feels increasingly apt.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Balancing Consequences & Fun

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:43 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Balancing Consequences & Fun

Developing a video game that satisfies its target audience is easier said than done; not just from a technical standpoint, but a conceptual one as well. That's because even within a specific demographic, there are different preferences and approaches to gaming. Some people like exploration, storytelling, and immersion. Others prefer a more competitive atmosphere. One may prefer video games to be a fun distraction, while others want a challenge and choices with consequences. These are all valid preferences, and thus catering to them all as best as possible is a daunting task.

That is nevertheless the goal that I believe basketball games have been striving for, with mixed results. Of course, to a certain extent, consequences are supposed to be part of the fun, because therein lies the challenge and the game. In a team building mode, there's currency to budget, and strategies to assembling a squad that's both successful and fun to play with. In single player career modes, there's likewise budgeting of in-game currency, optimal build choices, and efficient methods for grinding. Making the right choices is all part of the experience, but without the right balance, the consequences can be too severe and thus detract from the fun.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: The Rising Cost of MyCAREER

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:15 pm

Monday Tip-Off: The Rising Cost of MyCAREER

Virtual Currency in NBA 2K is nothing new. Since NBA 2K13 on consoles and NBA 2K15 on PC, gamers have been able to purchase 2K's in-game currency and spend it on MyPLAYER upgrades and MyTEAM packs. As far too many apologists readily chirp up to inform us, it isn't actually necessary to buy VC. It's merely a shortcut for gamers that are impatient, short on time, and flush with disposable income...or so they'd have you believe, anyway. While the justifications for microtransactions are flimsy at best, it is true that they've been a part of NBA 2K for almost a decade now.

That longevity doesn't excuse their intrusiveness and impact on game design, though scores of shrugging shills will claim otherwise. To dismiss concerns about recurrent revenue mechanics by framing them as a tired criticism that needs to be put to bed is to ignore the increasingly pushy nature of them. In all fairness, it isn't always because someone is shilling, although that does undoubtedly happen. It's also the result of annual releases, as we forget the exact figures of payouts and price tags; the specifics of each game's economy. With that in mind, it might shock some people to see just how much the cost of upgrades has been rising in MyCAREER since NBA 2K14.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Possible Is Not The Same As Preferable

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:41 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Possible Is Not The Same As Preferable

In last week's Monday Tip-Off, I discussed the rising cost of MyCAREER, comparing the price of upgrading a MyPLAYER in NBA 2K14 to NBA 2K22. Thanks to a few prominent content creators sharing our Tweet promoting the article, it gained some traction on Twitter. I'm grateful for the exposure, as this is an important issue for MyCAREER gamers. I was heartened by the general response to the Tweet, as it seemed to resonate. It appears to have placed a figure on what many people already suspected, and validated frustration with the current approach to Virtual Currency.

Of course, I wasn't surprised that there were some attempts to justify the increasing cost that I discussed. There were a handful of replies or quote Tweets that simply said "inflation", pointed out ways of earning VC, argued that the game is good this year, or basically shrugged in acceptance that this is the way of things now. I understand those arguments, but many of them do miss the bigger picture and overall point. It's clear who read the article and who didn't, without even going into the Tweet analytics. To that end, this follow-up article will probably likewise go unread by those individuals. Nevertheless, I want to clarify that "possible" and "preferable" aren't always the same.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Playing Out A Retro Gaming Kick

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:16 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Playing Out A Retro Gaming Kick

Retro basketball gaming - or indeed, retro gaming in general - isn't for everyone. I can appreciate that it may be difficult to relate to the appeal if you're not really a nostalgic person, though you can likely still understand why others enjoy it. I outlined some of those reasons in a Wayback Wednesday article, for those who may find it genuinely puzzling, and are wondering in good faith. In short, those of us who play old hoops games enjoy partaking in the fun and familiar, giving titles a second chance (or a first look if we originally skipped them), and reminiscing about the NBA of yesteryear.

I've discussed the reasons why we go back, but not how a retro gaming kick plays out; or at least, how it does for me. I've found myself on a retro gaming kick for three older basketball games this year. Each time, I had to see my fixation through to the end. I'm certain that not everyone who enjoys retro basketball gaming experiences a kick the same way that I do, but at the same time, I'm probably not the only person who has had an old release find its way back into their rotation. If nothing else, this may be an insight into why a few games have made recurring appearances in my Wayback Wednesday features, as well as the NLSC Podcast throughout 2021.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: How I Came To Love Assists

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:11 pm

Monday Tip-Off: How I Came To Love Assists

Even though they're frequently a point of contention, statistics are an important aspect of basketball. Fans love citing them, and many of the sport's biggest stars have been enthusiastic about accumulating them. Traditionally, it's been about putting up points. Scoring is what gets attention, and ultimately, racking up more points than the other team is how you win games. Players have also sought other statistical feats, such as triple-doubles. With stats being such an inextricable part of hoops, it's only natural that our enthusiasm for numbers carries over to video games as well.

It's fun to achieve eye-popping numbers on the virtual hardwood, but over the years, it's also become a necessity. After all, big games are what earn us the most VC and XP in MyCAREER and its connected modes. As such, they're an unavoidable part of the grind in career and online team play. It's a logical approach, though unfortunately it does contribute to toxicity by encouraging a Player One mindset. However, there is a stat that's usually (but not always) racked up with less selfishness: assists. Having played MyCAREER and its connected modes in several different games now, I've grown extremely fond of accumulating assists in both online and offline play.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Awaiting The Next Retro Kick

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:45 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Awaiting The Next Retro Kick

As I said when I discussed my approach to playing through a retro basketball gaming kick, a major factor in an old title re-entering my rotation is its ability to provide me with something I need or desire from the virtual hardwood. It may be closure, or satisfying curiosity. Sometimes it's simplicity and/or familiarity, especially if I'm not really hooked by the latest release. On top of that, I've found that my nostalgia comes in phases. I'm not only nostalgic for a single era or a narrow selection of games, and the urge to revisit specific titles can be influenced by factors unrelated to basketball.

Two examples that I've often cited in that regard are NBA Live 2002 and NBA Live 2003. They were the titles that came out as I was in my final years of high school back in 2001 and 2002, and represent the early days of my tenure running the NLSC. That entry into young adulthood coincided with a transitional era in the NBA, and when I've reflected on that time, I've been drawn to dust off those games. On the other hand, my decision to revisit NBA Live 06, NBA Live 10, and NBA 2K14, were all driven by content creation and pure whim. As such, it's difficult to say which game will capture my attention and result in another retro kick in the near future.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: The Myopia of Mastering Mechanics

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:09 pm

Monday Tip-Off: The Myopia of Mastering Mechanics

I think we can all agree that there should be some degree of challenge in basketball video games. A game that is easily mastered and beaten tends to be boring, though hoops titles - even sim-oriented ones - should nevertheless be accessible, and feature easier difficulty levels. When it comes to the virtual hardwood, there needn't be a challenge on the level of the Souls series, or games like Returnal, the roguelike that was released earlier this year. Arcade or sim, they're about representing the sport of basketball, not being exceedingly challenging and for the hardest of the hardcore.

At the same time, a certain amount of challenge and skill is expected of the online competitive scene. The best competitors are the ones mastering the mechanics and strategies that allow them to dominate and defeat their fellow gamers, not just the AI. Even offline, mastery on the sticks will allow gamers to rise to the sometimes unfair challenges of the Hall of Fame difficulty setting. This is obviously achieved through practice and dedication, which is a fair demand for the most challenging experiences in basketball gaming to make. However, in evaluating design principles and overall appeal and accessibility, mastering mechanics does unfortunately lead to myopia.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Goodwill Goes Both Ways

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:11 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Goodwill Goes Both Ways

It's neither a stretch nor a startling revelation that the relationship between the NBA 2K developers and NBA 2K gamers is not as cordial as it once was. There was a time when 2K was the darling of basketball gaming. While EA Sports failed to deliver with NBA Live, Visual Concepts was going from strength to strength with NBA 2K. They listened, they innovated, and their hard work paid off. NBA Live was no longer in the picture, and while that was a sad outcome in many ways, the superior hoops game had conquered the market. Unlike Madden, they did it through quality, not exclusitivity.

Such a track record of excellence and gamer satisfaction fosters trust and goodwill in the brand. That's not to say that the product was always perfect, because no game is. The quality was consistently impressive though, and the developer blogs during the preview seasons felt trustworthy because the games seemingly always delivered. In recent years, however, that trust and goodwill has diminished. For our part, we're an angrier fanbase that as a whole, doesn't always engage as politely as we should. We have reasons to be upset and our terseness is understandable, but I also sympathise with the devs' frustration. Goodwill is vital in this relationship, and it goes both ways.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: The Addictiveness of Grinding

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:10 pm

Monday Tip-Off: The Addictiveness of Grinding

Much has been written about the predatory mechanics found in NBA 2K, and many other Triple-A video games over the past generation. On several occasions, I've joined the chorus of people who have criticised the practice. There have been many articles and videos that have discussed how recurrent revenue mechanics prey on those who struggle with impulse control and addictive personalities. That remains a huge issue, and I still condemn those mechanics. Regardless, even if you opt for a "No Money Spent" approach, you can still find yourself getting hooked.

I've at long last properly begun a MyNBA game in NBA 2K22, marking an overdue return to franchise gaming. If you know how long I've been talking about wanting to do that due to feeling burned out on MyCAREER, you can appreciate how big of a deal that is for me! I feel energised having returned to my roots as a franchise gamer, in no small part due to revisiting MyGM in NBA 2K14. However, I've been thinking about why it took so long, and why I continued to spend time with MyCAREER and its connected modes, with a detour to MyTEAM in NBA 2K21. I've realised that even if you resist the pressure of microtransactions, there's addictiveness in the grinding.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: MyCAREER Is An NBA Speedrun

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:46 pm

Monday Tip-Off: MyCAREER Is An NBA Speedrun

When I recall my virtual achievements in MyCAREER, it's not to brag. First of all, it's a basketball video game. While we do take basketball gaming fairly seriously around these parts, in the grand scheme of things, I wouldn't count what I've done on the virtual hardwood as achieving important life goals. Furthermore, while I'll never invalidate the single player experience, it's easier to master a predictable AI than it is to be successful in competitive multiplayer. I'm also far from the only person to put up ridiculous numbers in MyCAREER, and win several virtual NBA championships.

On top of that, a new game comes out every year. Some of my best performances in the NBA side of MyCAREER aren't unique to a single game in the series, let alone compared to gamers everywhere. If there is anything that I can take pride in when it comes to the MyCAREER experience - and I'm sure many others can say the same - it's efficiency in milestones and levelling up. The tasks required to qualify for the Hall of Fame in MyCAREER are not difficult to perform on the sticks, but doing so within the span of a year does require successful employment of specific strategies. To that point, MyCAREER is essentially a speedrun of an NBA career by design.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: What Your Shot Chart Says About You

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:24 pm

Monday Tip-Off: What Your Shot Chart Says About You

Well, that's a trashy, clickbait headline if ever I've used one! Then again, is it still a clickbait title if it's kind of making fun of clickbait and trashy, vapid headlines? Arguably, yes. What if I'm truly intending to run some hopefully thought-provoking experiments and share the results? Probably still a bit cheesy! Anyway, have you ever really looked at your shot chart after a game? If you haven't, there's no shame. After all, whether you won or lost, hit a statistical goal, or achieved some measure of progression in a mode, tends to be the more pertinent and interesting information.

And yet, it's interesting to look at our shot chart. As in a real NBA game, it says a lot about how we shot the ball and ran our offense. To that end, it can provide insights into how we won or lost. In video games, it also illustrates some common gaming habits, the reasons for which are interesting to delve into. I'll admit that I haven't made a habit of looking at my shot chart after games in recent years, probably because I've been focused on grinding for VC and Badge XP rather than playing a sim style in MyCAREER. However, in the interests of experimenting, exploring theories, and self-reflection, I decided that I'd see what my shot charts look like these days.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: What Your Shot Chart Says About You

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:14 pm

Monday Tip-Off: So, What Do You Actually Dislike?

One of the lessons that I've learned in the twenty years that I've been running the NLSC is that not everyone will like you, or the content that you produce. The reasons for this vary, and aren't necessarily a reflection of your work. Maybe you had a heated discussion that resulted in perpetually simmering ill feelings. Perhaps an incident led to you blocking them or banning them from your platform, or they left, blocked, or unfollowed you in a huff. Alternatively, your style and presentation just isn't for them, or they strongly disagree with your views and opinions.

It can be a tough pill to swallow. Unless it's your intention to produce particularly provocative content that trolls or takes a contrarian stance for the sake of it, usually you hope that an audience will like your work and agree with you. This is especially true of opinion pieces, where it's easy to assume that you're not only speaking for yourself, but for many others who share your views and perhaps don't have the words or platform to express them. It can be surprising to receive pushback in the form of a dislike or dissenting comment, even though it really shouldn't be. What's far more surprising - and frustrating - is when the content is not controversial, or poorly made.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Wasted Historical Players in NBA 2K

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:22 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Wasted Historical Players in NBA 2K

I'll admit that I feel slightly petty when I criticise the usage of historical players and teams in NBA 2K. Over the past decade, NBA 2K games have done what was once unthinkable, simply by including a huge range of historical players and retro teams. We may not have modes like the Jordan Challenge or NBA's Greatest anymore, but we still have retro teams spanning from the 60s through to the 2010s, All-Time squads for every franchise, and several historical players to collect in MyTEAM. Of course, some players are exclusive to NBA 2K's card collecting mode.

That's a major point of contention, though. We have access to many historical players thanks to the individual retro teams and All-Time squads, but not all of them. There are several mid-tier players who don't belong to any retro teams and aren't big enough names for the All-Time squads, and are therefore more or less exclusive to MyTEAM. Their assets being in the game is still a tremendous help to modding projects, but the situation still isn't as convenient as it could be. Now, MyTEAM is definitely a popular mode - despite some people's bizarre claims to the contrary - but to me, it still feels as though a large number of historical players are being wasted by that exclusivity.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: The Helping Hand of Default Assets

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:08 pm

Monday Tip-Off: The Helping Hand of Default Assets

Since the very beginning, one of the primary goals of our modding community has been to add content to games. When we were founded as the NBA Live Series Center, this usually meant adding players such as Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley to the rosters of NBA Live PC. Once Legends and historical teams became a staple of NBA video games, there were other missing players to add. We've also sought to expand the selection of classic teams, as well as create retro season and all-time rosters, NCAA and foreign league total conversions, and many other fantastic projects.

The biggest projects have generally required several new assets to be created, in particular year-specific jerseys and courts, and missing player faces. Needless to say, the workload is much lighter if several assets that we need are in the game by default. At the same time, it's something that we can take for granted. Not only can the default assets facilitate a range of modding projects - both minimalist and large in scope - but we can use them to quickly assemble fun scenarios on the virtual hardwood. Modding has opened up a world of possibilities with basketball video games, but I can't stress enough the importance of content being readily available within the default assets.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: What I Learned From Basketball Gaming in 2021

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:55 pm

Monday Tip-Off: What I Learned From Basketball Gaming in 2021

It's the start of a New Year, which means plenty of resolutions all around. They're not for everyone, but I understand the appeal of a clean slate and definitive start date. I admire and support any self-improvement efforts, and with the difficulties of the past couple of years in particular, a desire for a fresh start is more than understandable. Whether you're committing to some new endeavour, or continuing something that you started last year, I wish you success and satisfaction. I also thank you for joining us here at the NLSC for another year of basketball gaming!

Speaking of which, 2021 turned out to be something of an illuminating year for me as far as my basketball gaming habits. I made some changes to my routine, both going back to my roots and trying out some new experiences. It involved breaking out of what had become a comfortable rut, in order to seek more fulfilment and enjoyment out of the games that I was playing. It wasn't easy to break habits that carried a certain level of comfort and familiarity, but admitting that it was nevertheless a rut that I was very weary of finally prompted an overdue change. As such, I'm anticipating further good times on the virtual hardwood in 2022, while avoiding modes I'm done with.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Vale, NBA 2K20 Servers & Content

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:42 pm

Monday Tip-Off: Vale, NBA 2K20 Servers & Content

On December 31st, the NBA 2K20 servers were shut down as scheduled. Of course, this isn't anything new for the series. 2K originally guaranteed 18 months of online support for all of its titles, before extending that period to 27 months following the deactivation and reactivation of NBA 2K14's servers. These Terms of Service aren't hidden - beyond the fact that many of us never read the EULA in full, of course - and if you've been playing the NBA 2K series for some time, you're familiar with the drill. As unfortunate as it is, it's understandable given the way that the userbase moves on.

The problem is that over the years, bigger chunks of the game are disappearing when online support ends. It used to be that we'd lose the ability to set up online games, use the in-game file sharing functionality, and receive any official roster updates. It was still a blow, but the games were largely intact. Now that there's a larger focus on the connected experience and live service content, server shutdowns are making major modes inaccessible. Even primarily offline moves can be affected, if your save file utilised any online content when it was created. MyCAREER is the big one though, and the shutdown of the NBA 2K20 servers has exposed a troubling approach.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: An Ode To Physical Media in 2022

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:48 pm

Monday Tip-Off: An Ode To Physical Media in 2022

Late last year, I made a couple of purchases that may seem very odd, namely the disc versions of NBA 2K21 for PlayStation 5 and NBA 2K14 for PC. Seeing as how I own digital copies of both games, it may sound like an unnecessary double-dip, even at the bargain bin price that I paid (and in NBA 2K21's case, I used part of the balance of a gift card). Of course, I am an admitted collector of basketball video games, which perhaps makes my motivation more understandable. NBA 2K14 PC is a particularly interesting item, as it was the final disc release for that platform.

My continued interest in physical media probably seems weirder, and an indication of an "old head" mindset. Here's the thing, though. I'm not against digital content and streaming services. I make use of both, and understand their advantages over physical media. I also understand their disadvantages. Whether they want to admit it or not, a lot of people who once sneered at anyone who still valued physical media are starting to see those drawbacks, too. In short, many people are realising that the convenience of digital has a price when it comes to future accessibility, the second hand market, and even the concept of ownership. What isn't tangible is proving to be fleeting.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard