The Friday Five: 5 Limitations With A Sensible Explanation

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Ways PC Basketball Gaming Has Declined

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:18 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Ways PC Basketball Gaming Has Declined

It pains me to speak ill of basketball gaming on PC. In NBA Live's Golden Age, there was no question that the PC version was the definitive release. Even when the PC was receiving a port of the PlayStation 2/Xbox release in the mid 2000s, it held a distinct advantage in the form of the modding community. Many of my fondest basketball gaming memories involve playing on PC, and I've always enjoyed games on both PC and console. What I'm getting at is that I'm in no way against PC gaming - basketball or otherwise - so I'm not trashing it as a platform for video games.

That's why the realisation that PC basketball gaming has declined is a dismal thought. It isn't dead by any means, but it could be in much better shape. Aside from modding capabilities, it's been a long time since the PC version of any basketball game was unquestionably superior to its console brethren. Modding has also been affected by changes to PC releases. From a collecting standpoint, there are some tremendous disadvantages compared to picking up copies on PlayStation or Xbox. We also have more reason to be concerned about future releases on PC, from quality to their very existence. Here are five ways that PC basketball gaming has unfortunately declined.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Players Who Only Appeared on Certain Teams in Games (Part 5)

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:10 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Players Who Only Appeared on Certain Teams in Games (Part 5)

It pains me to speak ill of basketball gaming on PC. In NBA Live's Golden Age, there was no question that the PC version was the definitive release. Even when the PC was receiving a port of the PlayStation 2/Xbox release in the mid 2000s, it held a distinct advantage in the form of the modding community. Many of my fondest basketball gaming memories involve playing on PC, and I've always enjoyed games on both PC and console. What I'm getting at is that I'm in no way against PC gaming - basketball or otherwise - so I'm not trashing it as a platform for video games.

That's why the realisation that PC basketball gaming has declined is a dismal thought. It isn't dead by any means, but it could be in much better shape. Aside from modding capabilities, it's been a long time since the PC version of any basketball game was unquestionably superior to its console brethren. Modding has also been affected by changes to PC releases. From a collecting standpoint, there are some tremendous disadvantages compared to picking up copies on PlayStation or Xbox. We also have more reason to be concerned about future releases on PC, from quality to their very existence. Here are five ways that PC basketball gaming has unfortunately declined.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Players In More Video Games Than NBA Games Played (Part 7)

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:27 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Players In More Video Games Than NBA Games Played (Part 7)

As I've said in so many articles that have examined roster-related trivia, I love how basketball video games serve as interactive almanacs, but it's important to note that they're not infallible. If nothing else, they're lacking in context and additional details, such as whether or not a player actually ever played in the NBA. Needless to say, if they're in a licensed NBA video game, they were signed to an NBA contract at some point. However, their careers on the virtual hardwood ended up lasting much longer, no doubt featuring debuts and tenures that never eventuated in real life.

Even though these players may not be familiar, there are some interesting stories here. There's a player that was the first to carve out a specific path to the NBA, though his journey obviously came to an end before actually setting foot on the court. A couple of others have followed a calling in their post-basketball careers that you might not expect of athletes who once chased the dream of playing pro ball. And of course, their stories are intertwined with some video game trivia, with a title other than NBA Live or NBA 2K making the list in this instalment. Enough of the teasers: let's get to yet another five players with more appearances in video games than the actual NBA!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Gameplay Mechanics You May Have Forgotten

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:04 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Gameplay Mechanics You May Have Forgotten

It would be wrong to say that basketball video games have tried absolutely every idea imaginable. There are still concepts that have yet to be implemented, or explored to their full potential. Developers have experimented with a multitude of ideas on the virtual hardwood though, from presentation and mode design to gameplay mechanics. While some ideas are better than others, we've seen that there are multiple ways to represent basketball in video game form, while striving for a fun and authentic experience. This was particularly apparent when we had several games on the market.

Of course, some ideas were better than others. Contrary to what some basketball gamers, NBA Twitter, and Barney Stinson may claim, new isn't always better. By the same token, nostalgic doesn't necessarily mean good. Some ideas were good solutions at the time, but would be unsuitable now. We could argue that others are preferable to their modern equivalents, or could be updated for use in new games. It's interesting to look back at the gameplay mechanics that were attempted, abandoned, or evolved into something else. We remember concepts such as Freestyle Superstars, the original Isomotion, and separate shoot buttons, but here are some that you may have forgotten.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Franchise & Career Mode Disappointments (That Are Realistic)

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:53 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Franchise & Career Mode Disappointments (That Are Realistic)

Franchise modes allow us to greatly influence a virtual NBA. Even if we only have control over one team, our ability to have them overachieve significantly changes the league's landscape. We have much less control in career modes, but once our player has levelled up and is capable of record-breaking domination game in and game out, the NBA is at our mercy. However, while we can have seasons for the ages and amass large collections of virtual trophies, there are some aspects that are still beyond our control. Needless to say, that can be frustrating, and disheartening.

On the other hand, it maintains a semblance of realism, even if our results and stats are pushing the boundaries of believability. The challenge of franchise and career modes, and indeed the overall fun and enjoyment we get from their journeys, often hinges on us not getting everything we want. There should be surprising and unlikely outcomes, at least from time to time. We should miss out on opportunities, even if we're well prepared for them. The disappointments - the trials and tribulations - make our successes and getting what we want all the more gratifying. To that end, here are five realistic disappointments that actually serve to enhance franchise and career play.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Ways Basketball Gamers Shame Each Other (But Shouldn't)

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:44 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Ways Basketball Gamers Shame Each Other (But Shouldn't)

No community is ever going to get along 100% of the time. There will always be disagreements, and things can get heated in the thick of competitive play. With that being said, general etiquette and decorum goes a long way, and avoids embodying the most unflattering gamer stereotypes. It's not particularly complicated. Don't be the jerk that sends threatening messages, or jumps on the mic to be abusive and throw out bigoted slurs. Don't ruin the online scene on PC with your hacked, super-powered player. And of course, don't foster a toxic atmosphere through elitist gatekeeping.

It's bewildering that gamers shame each other over a hobby that's meant to be fun. Obviously the competitive scene carries certain bragging rights, and if you claim to be an elite player, you'll be fairly challenged to prove your mettle. Beyond that though, there are people in the basketball gaming community that indulge in gatekeeping over the pettiest of things. In games that offer a variety of modes and options to tailor the experience to maximise your enjoyment, there's no wrong way to play basketball video games; at least outside of cheating and poor sportsmanship in a competitive environment. As such, it's ridiculous to shame each other over these five matters.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Reasons The City & Neighborhood Suck

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:50 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Reasons The City & Neighborhood Suck

I realise that bluntly stating that The City and The Neighborhood suck isn't exactly constructive criticism, and provocative to the point of almost being clickbait. With that being said, am I wrong? When The Neighborhood was announced for NBA 2K18, I remember it being met with considerable enthusiasm. I also recall feeling more cynical about the idea, and although I wasn't alone in that regard, 2K had enough goodwill at the time for people to shout down any criticism as hating. Not to be smug or anything, but five years later, we supposed "haters" were proven right.

That's not to say that everyone now hates The Neighborhood in Current Gen, or The City in Next Gen. Several gamers bemoaned NBA 2K20's recycling of NBA 2K19's Neighborhood, as if it were the biggest issue with MyCAREER and the online scene. However, many more gamers have come to see the problems with MyCAREER attempting to have an open world, and are growing fed up with its impact on online and offline play alike. It may sound like hyperbole to say that they're the absolute worst additions to NBA 2K's career and connected experiences, but as these five criticisms outline, The City and Neighborhood have had a major negative impact.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Players Who Only Appeared on Certain Teams in Games (Part 6)

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:15 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Players Who Only Appeared on Certain Teams in Games (Part 6)

Can you believe this topic has produced six instalments of The Friday Five? Actually, it's not altogether surprising. With the amount of player movement in the NBA, the timing of video game releases, and the eventual introduction of regular official roster updates, stints where players never officially tallied a minute for a certain team have made their way onto the virtual hardwood. It's something that's happened for a lot of players who are career journeymen, and generally benchwarmers and training camp fodder. However, it's also happened with some bigger names as well.

With that being said, the five examples that I'm profiling this time were not big name players. I'm sure most long-time basketball fans will recognise at least some of them though, especially as one is a streetball legend. It's easy to forget the "phantom stints" that can only be found in video games when it comes to players that move around a lot, but when you revisit an old title, the memories come flooding back. Alternatively, you'll be led down a rabbit hole when something looks like a mistake! Along with familiar faces in strange and familiar places, it's an aspect of basketball video game trivia that I really enjoy exploring. To that end, let's get to five more examples!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Players In More Video Games Than NBA Games Played (Part 8)

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:35 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Players In More Video Games Than NBA Games Played (Part 8)

It's time for more player-based video game trivia! Browsing the rosters in various titles has yielded some interesting examples of players who became familiar faces in strange and familiar places, stints that are exclusive to video games, and comebacks that were over before they began. Another topic that I've been able to get quite a bit of mileage out of - obviously, since this is Part 8 - is players that have appeared in more video games than actual NBA games. It's an unusual situation as one might normally expect them to be absent from the virtual hardwood, yet you'll find them in games.

Researching the stories behind their appearances, what they went on to do, and other aspects of their professional basketball careers, has been an enjoyable endeavour. I've tried to focus on the most interesting stories, and wherever possible, players that at least some gamers will remember from real life or the virtual hardwood. Of course, it also invites the inclusion of some obscure names! On top of their personal journeys, the players that I'm profiling in this instalment also allow me to touch on some trivia related to the games they're featured in, and in some cases, how it facilitated their inclusion. As always, I hope that you'll find this trivia as interesting as I do!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 More Creepy Moments in Basketball Games

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:15 pm

The Friday Five: 5 More Creepy Moments in Basketball Games

Last year, I finally got around to a Friday Five topic that I'd been considering for some time: creepy moments in basketball games. It felt like an appropriate topic for an article coming out around Halloween, and although that spooktacular holiday is next Monday, I thought I'd get us in the mood early rather than repurpose it for the Tip-Off. There are a couple of examples I forgot about when writing the previous Five, and upon further reflection, a few more came to mind. On top of that, I'd suggest that producing a sequel pays fitting tribute to many horror franchises!

As I said in my previous article, creepiness and horror aren't usually the hallmarks of basketball video games. It's not in the spirit of the genre to be creepy and frightening, but there are nevertheless moments on the virtual hardwood that make us jump. Once again, they're generally unintentional, being the results of glitches or perhaps strange design choices. However, this time there is one example that is definitely deliberate, and while it likely didn't cause any nightmares, it's fitting for Halloween. To borrow the tag line of R.L. Stine's Goosebumps series: reader beware, you're in for a scare! Well, perhaps not, but these are some unusually creepy moments in virtual hoops.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Played-Out Aspects of MyCAREER Stories

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:38 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Played-Out Aspects of MyCAREER Stories

Honestly, I admire the ambition and creativity in some of the MyCAREER stories over the years. I can't say that it's prevented me from spending many enjoyable hours with the mode, and indeed, when I finally played through NBA 2K14's tale, I had to admit that I'd been somewhat unfair towards it. However, there's also a reason that I've been critical of MyCAREER featuring a cinematic narrative. Some of the tales have negatively impacted the gameplay experience, while others have just featured really bad writing and acting. Sometimes, the mode has been afflicted by both.

It's a shame, as even when MyCAREER stories have fallen flat, it's clear that a lot of effort has gone into them. Some prominent names have been involved with them, from filmmakers like Spike Lee to actors like Michael B Jordan. It wouldn't be accurate to say that no one has any fond memories of MyCAREER stories, but they do tend to draw a considerable amount of scorn, especially in recent years. It's not surprising of course, as many aspects of MyCAREER stories have become played-out over time, whether its tropes they employ, or their effects on gameplay. Either way, these five played-out aspects of MyCAREER stories have worn out their welcome.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Players Who Only Appeared on Certain Teams in Games (Part 7)

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:11 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Players Who Only Appeared on Certain Teams in Games (Part 7)

Yes, we've reached a seventh instalment of this series profiling the players that only played for certain teams on the virtual hardwood! Whether it was due to an injury that shelved them for their entire tenure, an offseason move that was outdated by the time a game shipped, or some other circumstance, there are players whose stints with teams didn't include any playing time in real life, but resulted in the opportunity to suit up for them in video games. As official roster updates became common, we've seen more of these on-paper/"phantom stints", especially with journeymen.

This was originally meant to be the final instalment in this series, at least for now. However, I've had some more great examples pointed out to me, including a few very prominent players whose phantom stints I've overlooked in compiling the first seven articles. I suppose that speaks to how obscure some of those appearances were, and how easy it is to forget about them with so many games coming out over the years! I will get to them at some point - shout out to David for helping me out there - but in the meantime I've got five more examples, most of whom were fairly well-known role players back in their day, though younger fans may not be as familiar with them.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Players In More Video Games Than NBA Games Played (Part 9)

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:34 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Players In More Video Games Than NBA Games Played (Part 9)

We've arrived at the ninth and (for the moment) final instalment in this series of articles looking at players that have appeared in more video games than NBA games. In hindsight, this could've been a few longer articles for Wayback Wednesday, but when I posted the first instalment, I had no idea that I'd find so many examples! As it is, I discarded a number of players that I originally noted in my research. Otherwise, there'd probably be at least four or five more parts, and to be honest, not every player on those lists has a unique story, or interesting tidbit of virtual hardwood trivia.

Indeed, there's overlap in the reasons that players end up appearing in more video games than actual NBA games. The common factor, of course, is that they were signed to a contract while a game was in production and its rosters were finalised, only to be cut before they could make their official NBA debut. It's all down to the timing of their signing and release. Nevertheless, over the course of this series, my research has turned up what I feel are some fascinating stories tied in with video game trivia, which is something that I enjoy talking about. I hope that it's been fun for you, but before I wrap up this series, here are five final examples...at least for now.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Reasons to Play Older Basketball Games

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:07 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Reasons to Play Older Basketball Games

Nostalgia gets a bad rap these days. I can understand why, as I'm sure it's frustrating for younger people to keep hearing about everything being better back in the day (you have no idea how old I feel when I say that). Of course, films, shows, and yes, video games of yesteryear, weren't perfect. With video games in particular, technological advancements have resulted in significant improvements since the early days of the medium. Unfortunately, that's also brought recurrent revenue opportunities that interfere with design, prioritising earning power over gamer enjoyment.

There are plenty of reasons, and certainly a ton of pressure, to move on and play the latest NBA 2K. In the best case scenario, a new release is another worthy addition to the series, and one that will keep you entertained for the next year. Unfortunately, when it comes to annual sim basketball games, not every release is better than the last. That streak was broken a long time ago for NBA 2K, and even earlier with NBA Live before that. It's just the way it goes. A new idea or change in engine doesn't pan out, or a game is tainted by aggressive microtransactions. You may be left wishing you were playing an old favourite, and why not? Here are five reasons to play older titles.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Roster Oddities in Basketball Games (Part 2)

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:44 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Roster Oddities in Basketball Games (Part 2)

I'm always trying to brainstorm interesting ideas for my weekly features, and while that's obviously a good idea, the downside is that as new topics come to mind, others get pushed aside. This is a follow-up to a Friday Five that I published way back in 2017, and considering how many other sequel articles I've written since then, it's definitely overdue! On the plus side, letting the topic breathe (and then some) has allowed me to revisit other games, and discover examples that I might not have thought of had I written Part 2 closer to Part 1!

With that being said...roster oddities! There have been a number of interesting and quirky ones over the years, sometimes due to oversight, other times due to a game's rosters capturing a very specific moment in time. In the first instalment, I covered Clyde Drexler coming off the bench in NBA Live 95 PC, oddities with M. Williams in NBA Live 09 PS2's rosters, Brad Daugherty's extended NBA career on the virtual hardwood, Kobe Bryant's premature prominence in the first NBA Courtside, and the weirdness of roster editing functionality in NBA Full Court Press. In that same vein, here are five more examples of roster oddities that you may or may not remember.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby RayRay_953 on Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:45 am

Loved reading the article, and I can confirm that it's easy to make some occasional mistakes in the roster that are a little embarrassing to look back at. :lol:

Funny enough, you could find several examples within next-gen NBA 2K23 at launch (since most of these have been corrected in patches) including Horace Grant's Magic player model appearing to resemble more like Dennis Scott than Grant himself (https://youtu.be/5LU961dwW4s?t=276 can be seen in this timestamped video), Terrell Brandon in MyNBA Eras taking the honor from Muggsy Bogues as the smallest player with a height of 5'1", some historic players like Pau Gasol featured in MyNBA Eras but not on their respective historic teams, some historic players like Michael Williams ('89 Pistons) and Juan Howard ('13 Heat) having inflated attributes that suit their best years rather than their actual performance on the featured teams, etc.
RayRay_953

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:24 am

I remember Tee Bee being 5'1" at launch! As you noted, fortunately they fixed that and some other glaring issues (that Horace Grant face is terrible), but there are a lot of copy and paste jobs in those rosters. Thanks for reading!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Weird Outcomes in Franchise & Career Games

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:58 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Weird Outcomes in Franchise & Career Games

There are many ways to play franchise modes in basketball video games. I've always preferred a more straightforward approach: take control of a team with current rosters, leave injuries and CPU trades on (assuming they're optional), and play through the season to create my own reality. While this may be more conventional than a fantasy draft or using a heavily customised roster, it's not immune to weird outcomes. Sim engines are prone to producing unexpected results, from season standings and Playoff outcomes to weird league leaders. Obviously, this happens in career modes as well.

Of course, when we're talking about realism and weird outcomes with sim engines, it isn't easy to define what that actually means. Results and player movement may not reflect reality, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're unrealistic in nature. In real life, we do see puzzling trades, bewildering awards and All-Star snubs, and teams that are surprisingly better or worse than expected. Some outcomes are unlikely, but weird things do happen practically every year in the NBA. With that being said, sim engines do produce some illogical and weird outcomes that are unrealistic and highly unlikely given the circumstances. Here are five examples that I've encountered.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Modding Pipe Dreams

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:36 am

The Friday Five: 5 Modding Pipe Dreams

Even though I haven't been regularly modding for about a decade now - and to that point, does time ever fly! - I can't help brainstorming ideas for projects. Maybe I'm looking for the one that will inspire me to get back into the hobby on a more regular basis. Maybe I like the idea of getting back into modding more than making the necessary commitment to a large project, especially after experiencing such burnout after all those years of working on roster updates for NBA Live PC. If nothing else though, I enjoy sharing those ideas, in case it inspires someone else to explore them.

For all the wonderful mods that have been made over the years, there are a few ideas that we haven't fully explored. There are some games that didn't receive as many releases, mostly because the necessary tools came later in their release cycle when everyone was ready to move on. Some ideas just weren't possible at the time, but may be worth revisiting now that we have better tools and more knowledge. And of course, there are the modding ideas that remained pipe dreams because they were simply too ambitious or time-consuming, but could still happen if the interest and dedication is there. As such, I'm throwing out five more ideas for the community's consideration.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Retro Gaming Technical Frustrations

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:12 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Retro Gaming Technical Frustrations

I love retro gaming! As I've said before, when I think back, I was probably born to be a retro gamer. The first console I ever played was one that came out before I was even born, and part of the 1983 video game crash. It's not that I don't enjoy playing new games and all the technological advances the medium has made, but my early forays into gaming have undoubtedly influenced my ability to overlook dated aspects if I still enjoy the gameplay. Some games hold up better than others - especially basketball and other sports titles - but bottom line, I can still have a blast with the classics.

Of course, over the years, that hasn't always been easy to do. This is particularly true of older PC basketball games following upgrades to a new system. At the end of the day, retro gaming (basketball or otherwise) is still something of a niche interest within the hobby, with technical frustrations arising because it's not kept in mind when new hardware and operating systems are being developed. Fortunately, there are usually workarounds, though they can be intimidating if you're not technically savvy. I've been able to find ways to get all of my old games running for my retro gaming and content creation purposes, but there have definitely been some technical frustrations.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Best Additions to NBA MyCAREER

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:15 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Best Additions to NBA MyCAREER

These days, it's not fashionable to play NBA MyCAREER. It's usually seen as a means to an end; a way of familiarising yourself with the mechanics, and grinding for VC and Badge XP to level up your player in preparation for the online scene. This is unfortunate, as MyCAREER once provided an extremely enjoyable alternative to franchise play, placing gamers in the shoes of an aspiring NBA player. Sure, the story-driven approach has been hit and miss, but some of the better tales were well-told, with impressive production values and fun mini-games.

Those aspects are still there as of NBA 2K23, though there's been a detrimental shift in focus. The downfall began last generation, and swiftly progressed following the introduction of The Neighborhood and later The City. Still, NBA MyCAREER does remain a fairly robust mode; at least until the servers are shut down and it disappears forever! Reflecting on the history of NBA MyCAREER and the days when it was more than just a legacy mode that most use as a stepping stone to the online scene, there have been some great additions that benefitted the traditional career experience. Having played the mode extensively over the years, I'm picking these as the five best.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Activities to Freshen Up Your Gaming

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:22 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Activities to Freshen Up Your Gaming

I'm the last person who'll scold you about stubbornly sticking with what you like. I'm absolutely a creature of habit, prone to returning to my old favourites rather than try something new. And hey, as long as you're having fun, that's the most important part of all recreational activities! There's a reason I go on those long kicks such as playing through multiple seasons in NBA 2K14 MyCAREER, assembling makeshift retro teams in NBA Live 10, or going back to my NBA Live 06 Dynasty if I'm not feeling the latest game. Indeed, it's why I've stuck with franchise and career modes for years.

Of course, it's nice to change things up when you're weary of what you're playing. This is why I advocate for a variety of deep modes in basketball games, and if they're there, giving them a look whenever you're getting bored. However, if you're looking for a change of pace without diving into a whole new mode, there are many activities that you can do in basketball games that are, at the very least, fun palate cleansers. If you enjoy them, then you may want to make them a regular part of your basketball gaming, combining them with a mode if possible. Otherwise, these activities are ideas to keep in mind if you're in a rut, and want to mess around on the virtual hardwood.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Things I Randomly Discovered Years Later

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:23 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Things I Randomly Discovered Years Later

The internet has made it difficult to keep secrets and spoilers hidden, though it does also facilitate the quick spread of misinformation. When it comes to video game secrets, it's all too easy for someone to post a fake code, Photoshop a hoax, or try to pass off a mod as original content. At the same time, it's easy for others to debunk hoaxes and urban legends, as well as keep others informed about factual aspects of various games. From strategies and functionality to hidden content and modding tutorials, a plethora of information is out there.

Obviously, someone has to discover secrets and techniques, and it's always fun when you're the one to stumble on them. Back in the day, I remember accidentally finding the Cheats menu in Donkey Kong Country 2, and actually looking forward to going to school on Monday so that I could tell my friends about it! No doubt that information was already out there somewhere, but my friends and I didn't know about it until then. Over the years, I've randomly discovered things in basketball games, completely by accident or chance, and long after they were released. Indeed, it's one of the reasons that I enjoy revisiting old games, because you never know what you've overlooked.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Features NBA Live & NBA 2K Didn't Originate

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:11 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Features NBA Live & NBA 2K Didn't Originate

From the mid 90s through to today, NBA Live and NBA 2K are the two biggest names as far as sim basketball games are concerned. Obviously NBA Jam and NBA Street were the top dogs in the arcade space, and there have been other series of sim titles that have produced quality releases. However, when we're talking about the brand leader in NBA licensed sim titles, it's been NBA Live and NBA 2K for more than a quarter of a century, with the latter taking the crown from the former during the 2000s. Of course, it hasn't been a competition for quite some time.

Nevertheless, being the two biggest names/brand leaders in sim basketball games has meant that many of the innovations in the genre did originate with either NBA Live or NBA 2K. To that end, they've ended up borrowing ideas from each other, which as I've long maintained is actually a good thing when it comes to features that should be staples of a sim game. Of course, there are also some great features that we take for granted that didn't originate in NBA Live or NBA 2K. Some of them are older than we think, appearing in one of their predecessors, while other times it was one of their contemporaries that beat them to the punch. Either way, another game did it first.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Players Who Only Appeared on Certain Teams in Games (Part 8)

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:47 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Players Who Only Appeared on Certain Teams in Games (Part 8)

Just when I thought I'd finished this series with Part 7 last year, I was presented with a bunch of names making it clear that some further articles were in order! Shout out to David L for his memory and research on the topic, as he provided a vast majority of the examples that I'll be discussing in the articles to come. There are some significant names and other well-known players that I overlooked in the previous instalments, and once they were pointed out, I knew I'd have to follow up on them. Other players aren't as famous, but hardcore basketball fans and gamers will no doubt recall them.

As I've said before, players end up only appearing on certain teams in games for very familiar reasons. Before official updates were common, the default rosters remained a snapshot of some point during the offseason. If a player ended up being cut or traded after the roster cut-off date, the game would preserve a stint that never came to be in real life. Similarly, a player might have remained on a team's roster beyond the game's launch, but still didn't ever play for them before they parted ways. And of course, official roster updates also sometimes reflect these stints. Whatever the case may be, they've left us with some interesting NBA and roster trivia in a variety of games.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard