NLSC Forum Accounts Can Comment on Front Page Articles Again

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

NLSC Forum Accounts Can Comment on Front Page Articles Again

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:47 pm

Please be advised that I've found a new plugin that bridges Forum and front page (WordPress) accounts, which means you only need to log in once - either in the Forum or via the login on the main site - to post in either place! For now, the Wiki is still a separate login (and also allows anonymous editing on all but a few protected articles). Thanks to some persistent trolling, I've had to disable guest posting on main site articles, but if you're registered in the Forum, no problem; you can use that login to comment instead! In fact, all registration is currently handled by the Forum, and then your login can be used on the main site as well.

As with any new plugin/system, there is a possibility that we'll encounter some teething problems despite my testing. To that end, please let me know if you encounter any bugs or difficulties, and I'll look into them. Something you may encounter is a screen asking you to integrate your Forum account with WordPress if the two haven't already been integrated. If you encounter that screen...

• Choose the Log In option if you've previously created a separate WordPress account via the main page.
  • Choose the Integrate my account option if you haven't previously created a separate account for the front page login.

For most people, the second option should be the one that gets everything working if you encounter that screen, though chances are everything will work straight away. Once again though, please let me know if you run into any difficulties, and I'll troubleshoot accordingly.

It's been a while since we've been able to have the same login across the site. Unfortunately the first plugin we were using stopped working as both phpBB and WordPress were updated (and it wasn't), and the replacement plugin also stopped receiving updates and developed problems with newer versions of WordPress. Hopefully, this one will serve our needs for some time yet, as it's more convenient for everyone and allows for easy engagement across the NLSC, from the Forum to our news bulletins and feature articles.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Forum Accounts Can Comment on Front Page Articles Again

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:51 pm

Good job (Y)
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Sun May 24, 2020 11:55 pm

Please be advised that I've temporarily disabled the plugin connecting Forum and main site/WordPress accounts for the moment, as part of my troubleshooting of the "too many connections" errors that we've been encountering more and more of in recent times. It's possibly the culprit, so I'm seeing if disabling it will make a difference. To that end, please let me know if you're seeing less of those errors browsing the site in the next few days.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue May 26, 2020 1:25 pm

It's looking more and more likely that this plugin is the culprit for our recurring MySQL issues. Obviously we want the connectivity to streamline logins across the front page and Forum, so it's something I'll be troubleshooting. Please sit tight; for the moment, I've re-enabled registration via WordPress. Your existing logins created by the plugin should still work. If you encounter any difficulties logging into the Forum or front page, please let me know.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:46 pm

After a week or so of monitoring the situation, it looks like the connection issues were indeed related to the plugin for this functionality. I've just re-enabled it (thus re-enabling the account bridge, so logging into the Forum will log you into the front page and allow you to comment on articles) and will monitor/troubleshoot the issues from here on out. As such, you might see the connection issues pop up again. Please bear with me while I get everything figured out, and as always, let me know if you run into any issues with logins, as well as the aforementioned MySQL issues. If you can't get onto the Forum, feel free to shoot me an email at andrew@nba-live.com.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:37 am

Got a mysql issue few seconds ago.
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:40 am

Is that the first time in about a week?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:08 am

Just got one too, then got one trying to come to this page to post
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:17 am

Alright, that actually gives me a few ideas of what to try next, and what to bring up with the plugin author.

I haven't had it happen to me while the plugin was disabled. Has it happened to anyone else during the past week or so?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:53 am

Andrew wrote:Is that the first time in about a week?

yes
it was slow sometimes, but since you disabled the plugin i didnt have a mysql error
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:22 pm

OK, thanks. As I said, that gives me a few ideas moving forward, and useful information I can take back to the plugin's author. I'll keep working on it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:06 am

I realise the errors are still occurring every now and again (the plugin is still active after all), but I've been working on it and troubleshooting the situation with the plugin author and our host's techs. I believe we may have a solution in sight. I'll post a further update when that's been put in place, and we'll see if that does resolve the issue once it is. Until then, I do know that the errors are still happening. Thanks for your patience and the reports so far!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:03 am

Please note that the bridge plugin has temporarily been disabled while I troubleshoot issues following an upgrade, as well as the ongoing MySQL issues that it's been causing.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:34 pm

Alright, the bridge has been reactivated. Still testing out some of the settings and troubleshooting the max connections issues. Please let me know if you run into those MySQL errors, and how often.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:13 pm

Scratch that, it's been causing timeout errors. We may not be able to have this integration working for a while yet. The troubleshooting continues...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:04 pm

The plugin is active again, so the integration should be working. Please let me know if you run into any MySQL errors - I'll certainly be keeping an eye out myself as well - and I'll continue to troubleshoot.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard