NLSC Podcast #521: No NBA License? No Problem!

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: NLSC Podcast #325: Playground People, The Game & Its Sequel

Postby Ermolli on Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:48 pm

Thanks for the shout-out, I definitely wasn't expecting that. I began listening to the podcast a couple months ago and I've been listening to some old ones too, I've enjoyed the nostalgia trip to old videogames and experiences. I haven't posted in years but wanted to say that I appreciate the effort done on the podcast and the different articles posted weekly because they're well done, aren't half-assed and are interesting.

I don't follow the Euroleague much but what I find interesting is its atmosphere, the chants, fans and soccer-like intensity. That's one of the reasons why I didn't bother playing it on NBA 2K since all that was very lacking, the authenticity of it. It felt shoe-horned, like copy pasted to be like the NBA. A shame really.

Over the years I've been thinking about Elite 11 and its cancellation. One could say that in hindsight it was a bad decision to cancel it after all that's happened but I always thought that because I didn't think EA would just go back to the Live 10 engine and make it like Elite 11 didn't happen. I had some hope that by developing the game a couple extra years would polish the idea and make it good but then reading the news of wasted development time to move studios and spending a year building a team and learning Elite's code killed any excitement I had for it.
I found Elite 11 to be an interesting concept. There's a lot wrong with it (a hockey leader instead of someone with basketball knowledge, no sprint button, bad AI, weird and few animations) but I believe there were intriguing concepts that if were improved on it would've been a potentially good game.

I haven’t watched wrestling in years but if WWE Battlegrounds is close to WWE All Stars it could end up being a fun game, that one was very good and a shame it didn’t get a new release.
Also Super Mega Baseball can look goofy and arcade but its mechanics and gameplay plays quite realistic, it’s a very good game.

When NBA Playgrounds first information was released I hoped it was like NBA Street or Jam but after watching gameplay and reviews I didn't bother getting it. I was tempted to buy On Fire Edition but it's still U$S 20 almost 9 years since its release, I find it too much for such an old game. I hope EA or someone makes a new game with that quality, with good replay value and with no microtransactions but it seems more like a wish than something that could actually happen.
Ermolli

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:23 am

Appreciate the kind words! Glad you're enjoying the podcast and articles. :)

Stuff like Euroleague really does need to be done properly if it's to have the most appeal. If it just feels like re-skinned NBA, it definitely doesn't have that authenticity. I will say that 2K has done a good job with the WNBA content (aside from using the fictional commentators for whatever reason), and when they had high school and college games in the MyCAREER story a few years back, they were done pretty well too.

I tend to agree in regards to NBA Elite 11. I wish they had gone back to the NBA Live 10 engine and code after everything fell apart with Elite. A huge What If.

I'd say OFE is worth the price, though the in-game updates no longer come through so you would be stuck with the default rosters. It really should be available at a lower price, but I do like that it's still available, when so many other NBA games are removed from digital platforms after a few years.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:17 am

I appreciated the two different perspectives on NBA 2K Playgrounds 2. I think you and I agree on most points, Andrew, so Derek's point of view was refreshing in that sense. I haven't really picked the game up since the initial two weeks after it launched, but I played a fair chunk of the original (my review is on the main site, as you'd know). I don't love timed layups or dunks, but in an online setting, I think they could be necessary - I just don't play the game in an online setting much (aside from that one time with you. LAVARSKETBALL!).

Regarding the commentary, I agree that it's not awful - just rather innocuous. That in itself isn't a bad thing since I enjoy games I don't have to necessarily have to listen to and I'm even more inclined to play them if I have a podcast or a new album on Spotify I want to hear. That being said, it's not ideal for the game itself, I suppose.

Great listen from start to finish (Y)
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:14 pm

Thanks Kenny, glad you enjoyed it! I think at the end of the day, I had some really high hopes for the game, and it's definitely not as fun solo as NBA Jam was.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #326: Letting It All Out This Week

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:37 pm

NLSC Podcast #326: Letting It All Out This Week

Hosts: Andrew & Dee4Three

This week, we're letting it all out as we discuss a variety of topics! We begin with the impending return of the NBA, and our thoughts on the format to finish out the season. On that note, is this really the end of Vince Carter's career? Elsewhere, a long-lost spin-off of SimCity has us wondering whether any more forgotten and unreleased basketball games will make it out into the wild. The rare version of NBA Jam with Michael Jordan springs to mind. Recent events also lead us to share some strong opinions on the use of Patreon in the modding community, and the focus on making money through the hobby. With EA Play on the horizon, we wonder once more about the future of NBA Live, and express some frustration. We also touch on representing the ABA on the virtual hardwood, and what would make for acceptable downloadable content in basketball games. Oh, and there's a potentially divisive opinion about the Oklahoma City Thunder's branding.

Tune in here!

What's your take on this week's topics? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Never miss an episode by subscribing to the NLSC Podcast on Apple Podcasts or Spotify! You can also find us on Stitcher.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:06 pm

i'm totally agree with the modding part guys (Y)
No NLSC, no free tools, no tutorials, no resources, no mods...
Paywall and other shits have to stop soon.

Another recent thing is "silent" advertising, droping screenshots or videos, making a thread with no release.
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:34 pm

Agreed, advertising something with no intention of releasing it (for free or within the community in general) is another poor practice.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Ermolli on Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:18 am

Last week I talked with one of my coworkers about Vince Carter and how anticlimactic his retirement was. It ended in a shortened season by particular circumstances and his last game wasn’t even known if it was it or not, such a shame for a cherished player.
I’m also not much of a fan of farewell tours, in my opinion it feels more like a circus than an appreciation of the player talent at their current age. That’s why I enjoyed Duncan’s retirement, he played at a high level as much as he could at his age and people admired that instead of what he did at his peak, and he didn’t make a big deal of his retirement.

I loved NBA Showtime, it was my NBA Jam. It was the first basketball game I remember playing at the arcades and always picking Shaq a Kobe. That, Virtua Tennis and Virtua Striker 2 were my most played games there, so many coins spent on those. It brings me so much nostalgia and makes me miss arcades. I still remember watching one of my brothers being up by one, almost winning his first game ever (since he wasn’t very good at the game) and losing by a full court buzzer beater, I still remember his face of defeat. Good times.

What worries me of paid mods is that 2K sees that and makes difficult or impossible to mod again. I’d hate for that to happen because that’s one of the main appeals of PC gaming, all the possibilities to enhance the games which people are currently doing and making them so fantastic to play. Maybe I’m not the correct person to talk about the subject since I haven’t participated in the making of a mod in over ten years (old PES games) but it still concerns me. I just don’t want it to end.

I don’t know if hearing EA talk that they’re still working with Live is enough to be honest. There have been enough times that they’ve said that they’re working hard for the next game and it’s either a disappointing game or cancelled, at least to me those words are empty. As Andrew said, blueprints, a plan or something meaningful would be much appreciated, something that could bring any hope for this franchise.

Good way to end the show, different but appreciated.
Ermolli

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:05 am

Glad that our outro resonated positively. It's not something we'd normally do, but obviously there's a lot going on right now with the pandemic, George Floyd's murder and other injustices, and attempts to stand up to bigotry and make the world a better place. It felt like we had to acknowledge that and it's hard to find the right words sometimes, but hopefully it came across respectfully and in the spirit that was intended.

NBA Live's got an uphill battle for relevance as well as quality, no doubt. They really will need to show, not just tell, to break through the cynicism and doubt that's only natural after the series' struggles over the past decade (or more).

Paid mods are an increasing worry because it's something that people are feeling more entitled to. I can understand having spent many, many hours on roster updates over the years, but it's becoming problematic. We definitely don't want to get shut down or put 2K in a position where they're making it harder to mod the games. It's something we'll have to be vigilant about, and it does help that we do have people setting a good example. It's something that's been on our minds, which is why we spoke so passionately about the matter.

It's funny to think that Vince Carter's career began in the lockout season, a year affected by an unusual event that almost saw the season be cancelled, and it's ending in a season that's been shortened due to unusual circumstances. As you said, it's rather anticlimactic, which is a shame.

Looking forward to plating some more NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC for a Wayback Wednesday feature!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Ermolli on Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:24 am

If you don’t have any topics for an episode (whether the next or another), I’d like to know what are your expectations for next-gen in regards to basketball video-games. Will 2K bring something innovative or ground-breaking this gen? Will microtransactions emphasis be worse over the years? Could EA finally step up and deliver a great NBA Live ? Is there a realistic chance for another company to bring a sim NBA game? Could an indie company create a Super Mega Baseball-like game? Will there be another arcade game?

Maybe also talk about if your expectations for current gen were met or not, what surprised and disappointed you, if this gen makes you more or less hopeful for what’s to come.

Just a couple ideas in case you didn't have any in the future.
Ermolli

Postby [Q] on Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:06 am

At this point I can't see EA getting their act together long enough to sustain a good Live series. They're like the deadbeat dad that only comes around to see their kid when they want to or when it's convenient for them but when it gets tough they just disappear lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:14 am

This week's show (which will be live in about 15 hours) includes our reactions to the NBA 2K21 Announcement Trailer, which also leads into our expectations for next gen, how NBA Live is going to be affected, and some of those other topics you mentioned. We'll definitely keep some of those other topics in mind for future shows though, as there'll no doubt be weeks in between news and previews where stuff like that will be great to talk about. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #327: Gonna Make You Sweat

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:18 am

NLSC Podcast #327: Gonna Make You Sweat

The PlayStation 5 reveal event brought us an Announcement Trailer for NBA 2K21, which gives us plenty to talk about this week! We recap and react to the trailer featuring Zion Williamson, and a whole lot of sweat. In addition to highlighting the parts that appealed to us, we also discuss our concerns, along with the expectations it's given us for next gen. We also speculate whether the PC version of NBA 2K21 will be a next gen port, or last gen as was the case with NBA 2K14. The trustworthiness of developer blogs and preview media is another issue we're going to be mindful of this preview season, as we reflect on past controversies. We also consider the impact of next gen NBA 2K21 on the future of NBA Live, and what we can expect from last gen NBA 2K moving forward.

Tune in here!

What's your take on this week's conversation? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Never miss an episode by subscribing to the NLSC Podcast on Apple Podcasts or Spotify! You can also find us on Stitcher.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #328: Rumours & Boomers

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:48 pm

NLSC Podcast #328: Rumours & Boomers

Disappointingly, but not surprisingly, NBA Live wasn't featured at EA Play 2020. We reflect on how it's made the community pessimistic about the series' future. Elsewhere, the inevitable lull following NBA 2K21's announcement trailer has tipped off this year's rumour mill. As we're not fans of misinformation, we analyse the rumours making the rounds, and offer up some tips to avoid falling for clickbait. The NBA 2K League also comes up when we broach the topic of online play, as does a program that's worth checking out. In modding news, we note a couple of recent developments, and once again talk about minimalist mods. We wrap up with a discussion of a forgotten 1-on-1 tournament that the NBA held in 1972, including how such a tournament could work today. Old heads that we are, there's also some grumbling and further push back on the whole "plumbers and dentists" rhetoric.

Tune in here!

What's your take on this week's conversation? Sound off with your thoughts right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as suggestions for topics that you'd like to hear us discuss in future episodes.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Ermolli on Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:29 am

Honestly, were you realistically expecting EA to release any info about Live at EA Play? In the last EA Earnings call, Live wasn’t announced in their releasing games, the surprise game is UFC and basically they’ve said there that they didn’t have much with Live. Plus, if FIFA and Madden, who are their top sports games, just got a combined cinematic trailer then one couldn’t expect anything from Live (more so when NHL and UFC didn’t get anything).

I don’t know why people fall for those rumours when there are obvious details that make you doubt, as you’ve said. I guess it’s simply because people want to believe that so they hold into that hoping for the best.

I tried watching the 2K League a couple times in the last few years but couldn’t get into it, it played like you’ve said and I can’t find that appealing. Maybe it simply isn’t for me because I don’t watch many people play games or at least during prolonged times.

I found the existence of that tournament interesting. Was it televised? Maybe I forgot if it was mentioned in the pod but was it to gain popularity for the league against the ABA? I don’t see it happening because I don’t think top players would be on it because of ego if they underperform expectations. If it happened I’d guess it would be with Slam Dunk Contest-quality, newcomers and rotational players. We could always fantasise different matchups with 2K or Live.
Ermolli

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:42 am

Thanks for listening!

I was not expecting NBA Live to be mentioned at EA Play. But commentary surrounding its absence was worthy of discussion based on the handling of the franchise by EA.

Also, about the one on one tournament. I posted the highlights of it on my Twitter, and yes it was televised.

The finals were between Jo Jo White and Bob Lanier.

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84/status/ ... 68067?s=19
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:51 am

I don't like how long it takes to play 1 game of 2k. I can't imagine trying to watch other people play it
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:41 am

I figured there was a very, very slim chance of anything regarding NBA Live being announced or discussed, so I wasn't expecting anything and wasn't surprised. Still disappointing, of course, and speaks to where the series is at right now. As Dee said, that's why we covered its absence, so to speak.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Ermolli on Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:32 am

I get that you mentioned in the podcast and I enjoyed the conversation about it. Maybe I said that because I keep reading people saying that they really expected EA to announce something about Live 21 when the writing’s on the wall, they keep thinking that it will release this fall on next gen consoles. I hope that I’m wrong and that Live 21 does release there (and on PC) and that it’s amazing, but there isn’t anything to think that. Honestly, I got more excited about the possibility of Live having the animation technology from the SIGGRAM demo (which we aren’t sure if it’s gonna happen) than anything EA has done this gen and that is quite sad imo.

Plus, as you’ve said in the podcast, the lack of communication is incredibly frustrating. When EA informed the cancellation of Live 20, I didn’t care about the content of the news because it was said to save face but still … “We promise to check back regularly with updates” is a bold promise to make, even more when the communication about Live in this gen has been irregular at best. Why even bother including that when we know that it’s a lie?

Dee4Three wrote:Thanks for listening!
Also, about the one on one tournament. I posted the highlights of it on my Twitter, and yes it was televised.

The finals were between Jo Jo White and Bob Lanier.

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84/status/ ... 68067?s=19

Thanks. The only way I could see that happening is during All Star Weekend but it’s a stretch, I don’t think it could be worse than some of the late Slam Dunk contests. It could be interesting.
Ermolli

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:04 pm

At the moment, hypotheticals and potential is about all we have to be excited about, I agree. I feel like the development team are passionate and have grand plans, but they're not getting the support they need from the higher ups who are calling the shots.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #329: Cover Songs & Trivia Notes

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:46 pm

NLSC Podcast #329: Cover Songs & Trivia Notes

With the impending NBA 2K21 cover reveal over the course of three days, we speculate on possible players and editions, as well what other details may be announced. We also reflect on how it feels to move on to a new game after being hooked on its predecessor. Talking about vibe and atmosphere leads us to reminisce about some of our favourite soundtracks, and unusual song choices. Meanwhile, future rookies have been added to MyTEAM packs. It's a first and a cool idea, but their ratings inspire another discussion of the state and general direction of both NBA Live and NBA 2K. Finally, Vince Carter's retirement has marked the end of the last vestige of the NBA in the 90s. We celebrate his lengthy career, and share some trivia regarding longevity records in basketball gaming.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #330: The Price of Upgrading

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:46 pm

NLSC Podcast #330: The Price of Upgrading

The three cover players and their editions of NBA 2K21 have been revealed, and it turns out our predictions were pretty good! We react to the choices, and some of the community's opinions on them. We've also discovered that the Next Gen version will have cross-platform VC and MyTEAM progression, but more controversially, a $10 price increase. Breaking down the pre-order bonuses also suggests that the approach to microtransactions and grinding won't be much different this year. With confirmation that NBA 2K21 PC is a Current Gen port, we weigh up the pros and cons, and what it means for our modding community. Elsewhere, reactions to Madden 21's Franchise mode have made us wonder about the future of franchise gaming in basketball titles. Finally, we're noticing some new waves of nostalgia among younger and older hoops gamers alike.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #331: Hit Me With Your Green Release

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:14 pm

NLSC Podcast #331: Hit Me With Your Green Release

In a shocking development, one of us has a new perspective on a game we've openly criticised in the past. Find out what led to the change in heart, and stay tuned to hear if the new opinion sticks! We also tackle the issue of shot meters, Green Releases, and shooting mechanics in general. What do we think is the best approach, and could we ever go back to the old ways? Meanwhile, talking about the mods we're working on leads us to workshop some ideas for other projects we'd love to create. With only one basketball game announced for Next Gen, we also discuss some other titles that we'd like to see return. Since the NBA's resumption is also looming, we finish up with a discussion of asterisks, and how this year's championship will likely be viewed.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #332: The Measure of a Sim Gamer

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:46 pm

NLSC Podcast #332: The Measure of a Sim Gamer

Many of us consider ourselves to be sim gamers, but what does that mean exactly? We discuss what makes a sim gamer "sim", and the different approaches we can take with that style of play. We've also got plenty of suggestions for additional retro teams for NBA 2K, and share some of our favourites that we'd most like to see. The word of the week here is "esoteric"! Speaking of suggestions, we also have some ideas for new and revamped game modes. From an offline retro challenge mode to a concept like Quick Pick Play, and even tournament and road trip modes, there are still ways that NBA Live and NBA 2K can offer gamers even more content to sink their teeth into.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #333: Just Two Creatures of Habit

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:42 pm

NLSC Podcast #333: Just Two Creatures of Habit

Would you pay $16,000 for a promotional copy of NBA 2K15? Someone on eBay is hoping that you will! We've spent considerably less on recent additions to our collections, which we were excited to pick up. Speaking of collectables, a few copies of Slam City with Scottie Pippen have also popped up on eBay, leading us to reflect on that somewhat forgotten game. Meanwhile, an influx of new gamers in NBA 2K20's online scene has further emphasised the need to implement proper ranking and matchmaking measures (and inspired another rant). We also discuss what it takes to change our gaming habits on the virtual hardwood, and how some of those habits were formed in the first place.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard