NLSC Podcast #521: No NBA License? No Problem!

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: NLSC Podcast #359: Like Something Out Of A Video Game!

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:59 pm

NLSC Podcast #359: Like Something Out Of A Video Game!

Hosts: Andrew & Dee4Three

The announcement of Giannis Antetokounmpo as the new face of NBA Live Mobile has piqued our interest in the success of the game. As it turns out, it's performing even better than we realised. This leads us to reflect on how it's kept the NBA Live brand alive, and what this means for a future console/PC release. The fifteenth anniversary of Kobe Bryant's historic 81-point game inspires us to not only look back at the achievement, but its impact on the virtual hardwood. We discuss the idea of such performances being described as "something out of a video game", and the difficulty in replicating those feats. The need for a new challenge mode also comes up. In the mailbag this week, we're talking about NBA Live's turning point, and a fantasy scenario involving an upcoming retro roster mod for NBA 2K11.

Tune in here!

Join in the conversation right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as mailbag questions and topic suggestions for future episodes. The show also comes out on our YouTube channel, so be sure to subscribe for future episodes and other video content.

Never miss an episode by subscribing to the NLSC Podcast on Apple Podcasts or Spotify! You can also find us on Stitcher.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby kalionyo on Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:24 am

Love tuning into the show every week!

I got a topic suggestion for both Andrew and Dee. Not sure if you have heard about the new crypto style NBA collecting website where you can collect various moments (both from this season and throwback seasons). It's essentially virtual card collecting. Just this past week, a collectible LeBron James moment sold for $71,445 USD. And I believe the highest sales on the website of $100K USD were LeBron and Zion moments.

Given that you two are both collectors of basketball video games and memorabilia, is this something you are interested in? My guess would be not since these are digital collectibles and I know how much you two prefer those physical items as collectors. But I wanted to know your thoughts on this! It's very interesting and could be the future of basketball "card" collecting.

Another question I have ties this back to basketball gaming. Currently, NBA Top Shot is in beta. However, the website is planning to implement a mobile game titled "Hardcourt" which will let you use your moments to play the game. Not many details have been given about this, but I wanted to know if this is something that interests either of you. Would you like to see a "Pokemon-style" or "Magic: The Gathering" card game where you can use your collectible basketball cards?

Would love to hear your thoughts on this website either on the forum or on a future podcast. Cheers and keep up the good work! (Y)

Forbes Article detailing the $71K sale: https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2021/01/23/how-did-a-lebron-james-video-highlight-sell-for-71455-a-look-at-a-burgeoning-product-called-nba-top-shot/?sh=5d8c1728184b

About Page for NBA Top Shot - also briefly discusses the mobile game Hardcourt: https://www.nbatopshot.com/about
kalionyo

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:24 am

Thanks for the kind words! Glad to hear you've been enjoying the show, and really appreciate you tuning in every week. It's always nice to hear from regular listeners. :)

I'll have to look into both of those things as I'm sure we could talk about them on the show. I'll add them to our collection of mailbag questions and topics; we'd always rather have too many than too few and some ready to go, so thanks for suggesting them!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:08 pm

Speaking of the mailbag, last call for Episode #360! As always, anything we don't get to this week, we'll keep for a future show!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #360: An NBA Live Revolution?

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:41 pm

NLSC Podcast #360: An NBA Live Revolution?

There continues to be a surge of interest in NBA Live 19, with several gamers picking it up again. This raises the issue of NBA 2K fatigue, and the other reasons - including accessibility, simplicity, and lack of predatory mechanics and toxicity - that gamers are eschewing the more up to date NBA 2K21 Next Gen. We once again note that the door is wide open for NBA Live. In our mailbag this week, we're talking about purchasing digital NBA moments, and various obstacles that modders face. Are we likely to invest in digital NBA collectibles, and are Visual Concepts deliberately making modding more difficult?

Tune in here!

Join in the conversation right here in the Forum! Additionally, feel free to hit us up with any feedback on the episode, as well as mailbag questions and topic suggestions for future episodes. The show also comes out on our YouTube channel, so be sure to subscribe for future episodes and other video content.

Never miss an episode by subscribing to the NLSC Podcast on Apple Podcasts or Spotify! You can also find us on Stitcher.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby kalionyo on Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:11 pm

Hey Andrew and Derek - Thanks for taking some time out of the podcast to answer my question! Definitely enjoyed hearing both of your opinions on the concept and website. Despite seeing the appeal and temptation of "virtual card collecting," it sounds like neither of you will be on the platform any time soon.

For me personally, this scratches my itch for basketball card collecting. Unlike you two, the idea of digital cards and collectibles doesn't bother me too much. Granted, I never had a physical basketball card collection so perhaps that's where some disconnect may lie. However, I'm excited about collecting these moments and would love to see releases of more iconic, historical NBA moments in the coming months.

As a user, it's clear to me the website has a lot of work to become "mainstream" but the future of site looks promising to me. There's certainly an aspect of making "investments" in cards which conflicts with the collector mentality. For example, the first moment that caught my eye was Golden State Warriors rookie James Wiseman's first dunk. The idea of owning a copy of that moment, although digital, probably gives me the same excitement as either of you opening up a pack of physical cards (or ripping off your friend for a rookie Shaq card).

That being said, I just wanted to say thanks again for putting this question on the show and thank you for the compliments on my topic suggestion. I can appreciate the quality that goes into the podcast so I wanted to present the topic in a way that reflects the work you both put into this. Trust me, I know this is a niche podcast. It certainly can't be easy running this on a weekly basis while competing for listeners with other podcasts that address broader basketball or video game topics. However, it's still nice knowing this community for basketball gaming exists and I'm glad to have been a part of the NLSC community for a few years now. I'm just one listener, but I'm sure many of your other listeners feel the same way. Keep up the good work and I'll look forward to tuning in each week!

By the way, you both definitely sounded like old heads! Typical boomers... :wink:
kalionyo

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:48 am

I think it's a cool idea and potentially a good investment, which is more than I can say for my physical card collection! I did like opening the packs and sorting them into my card folders though, and that was a big part of the experience for me. Mind you, aside from picking up some old unopened packs off eBay for fun a couple of years back, I don't collect cards anymore, so it's not really my bag these days anyway. It'll be interesting to see how it grows in the coming years, for sure.

Thanks again for the question, the kind words, and tuning in! We definitely enjoy getting on every week to record the show, and I hope that always comes through.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #361: Taking Them To School

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:38 pm

NLSC Podcast #361: Taking Them To School

Recent experiences in MyLEAGUE lead us to reflect on the meaning of "sim" and how it can be fun to bend reality, especially in fantasy scenarios. Some new additions have also been made to the collection. However, the big news this week is the return of EA Sports' college football series, and what that might mean for both NBA Live and the March Madness/NCAA Basketball series. We discuss our history with college basketball titles and interest in future releases, as well as the pushback on interest in (and the need for) NBA Live's return. In this week's mailbag, we talk about the possibility of a standalone G League mode, and what it would take to instigate real change with NBA 2K.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #362: Putting the Ball in the Basket

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:39 am

NLSC Podcast #362: Putting the Ball in the Basket

A bevy of retro season roster mods are being produced at the moment, which we're excited to see. The fact that there are a couple of 2005 season mods out or in the works reminds us that time is marching on, and our nostalgia is getting old! We also have some advice for getting big projects done and released. Meanwhile, NBA 2K21 Current Gen and Next Gen have both received new patches, so we briefly discuss some of the changes. This week's main discussion is a deep dive into shooting mechanics: the history and evolution, the best and worst concepts, and everything in between. In the latest mailbag, we discuss the forthcoming Space Jam sequel, and consider another What If scenario.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #362: Putting the Ball in the Basket

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:37 pm

Mailbag Call for Episode #363!

We've finally emptied the mailbag as of last week, so please hit us up with your questions and topic suggestions for the mailbag segment.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #363: Worth A Second Look

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:55 pm

NLSC Podcast #363: Worth A Second Look

After dusting off the Xbox 360 version of NBA Live 06 prompted a surprising change of heart for one of us, this week's episode discusses revisiting old games and seeing them in a new light. We consider the factors that influence changes in our opinions of previous games, and offer up some personal examples of games that we now view differently. We also tackle the phenomenon of games that were once heavily criticised subsequently being held up as benchmarks. In the mailbag this week, we react to a suggestion that would result in more goodwill for NBA 2K's recurrent revenue mechanics.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #363: Worth A Second Look

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:10 pm

Last Mailbag Call for Episode #364!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #364: 10 Games To Last A Year

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:54 pm

NLSC Podcast #364: 10 Games To Last A Year

After replaying Slam City with Scottie Pippen recently, we vow to dedicate a whole show to it...after we can defeat Fingers, the first opponent. With March Modness 2021 right around the corner, we look ahead to another celebration of modding, and some of our own projects. Seeing as how it's a slow news week, we're playing a game: the ten games we'd choose for a year in isolation, specifically five basketball and five non-basketball games. Which titles make our lists, especially once we start changing up the game with some new rules? In the mailbag this week, we're talking about the Arcade1Up NBA Jam machine, and the current state of NBA 2K's graphics.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #364: 10 Games To Last A Year

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:24 am

Mailbag Call for Episode #365! We'll be recording and releasing an episode this weekend as usual, so please hit us up with your questions and topic suggestions for the mailbag segment. You can also email us at podcast@nba-live.com. Submissions are welcome throughout the week, but as usual, we're putting out the call ahead of the next recording session.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #365: Time To Get Creative

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:50 pm

NLSC Podcast #365: Time To Get Creative

Deep Create-a-Player features are a must, and it's tough not to get wistful when we see them in other sports titles. Some of the features in MLB The Show give us ideas for what we'd like to see in NBA Live and NBA 2K's creation tools. The pain of losing functionality when servers are shut down leads us to discuss the possibility of a subscription model for basketball games. In the news this week, Ultimate Rivals: The Court has been announced. We're intrigued, and looking forward to an NBA Jam-like game with Tim Kitzrow on the call. Time with The W also has us nostalgic for an era when microtransactions weren't everything. In the mailbag this week, we answer a question about the necessary focus in order for NBA Live to make a triumphant return, and Frankenstein our ideal game, picking and choosing elements from a number of existing basketball titles.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #366: A Lifetime On The Virtual Hardwood

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:09 am

NLSC Podcast #366: A Lifetime On The Virtual Hardwood

A recent modding disaster inspires us to reflect on some of our past follies, and the need to adopt good modding practices. In particular, we note the appeal of a fresh start, and how it distracts us from what's already on the workbench. Our main discussion topic this week is something we've been thinking about for a while: the stigma against older basketball gamers, and adult gamers in general. We discuss the issue of age-appropriate hobbies, the benefits of gaming regardless of age, and how long we see ourselves hitting the virtual hardwood. In this week's mailbag, we're talking about putting the fun back into the sim titles, and an interesting scenario regarding the three-point line.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #367: Courting Controversy

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:41 pm

NLSC Podcast #367: Courting Controversy

The surprising quality of Garfield Kart (of all things) leads us to consider how to make a good rip-off, and where so many NBA Jam clones have come up short. However, our main topic this week is controversial and unpopular basketball gaming opinions. We share a few of our own potentially divisive takes, and react to the fantastic responses we received on Twitter when we invited our followers to share theirs. As it turns out, some opinions may be more popular than some people think! Additionally, we touch on how people are discouraged from sharing unpopular opinions - or just opinions in general - particularly valid criticism. In this week's mailbag, we return to the question of when releases should and likely will end for Current Gen.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Segageeknavarre on Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:41 pm

Hey amazing job on the podcasts so far been listening to them alot while at work

So my question is have you played any of the sony nba the life, the inside series on ps2 ps3 and what are your thoughts on them?
Segageeknavarre

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:12 am

Thanks for the kind words, glad to hear that you're enjoying the shows! I own some of those games and I know that Dee has played them as well, so it'd definitely be fun to talk about them. Thanks for the suggestion!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #368: You Say Ancient, We Say Classic

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:49 pm

NLSC Podcast #368: You Say Ancient, We Say Classic

Picking up some extra copies of NBA 2K12 has revealed some interesting details, but we're still searching for answers about a possible limited edition cover. Meanwhile, comments on a recent YouTube video underscore how NBA 2K21 Next Gen wasn't the leap that many gamers were hoping for. Speaking of NBA 2K's future, we discuss Visual Concepts' recent acquisition of HookBang, and what it means for the series. We also have some thoughts on remarks from Sony's Jim Ryan regarding backwards compatibility, and his dismissal of classic games as unplayable. In this week's mailbag, we're building our own arcade basketball game based on one of three classic titles, and recalling our experiences with Sony's NBA series.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast #369: Do You Want To Make A Mod, Man?

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:54 pm

NLSC Podcast #369: Do You Want To Make A Mod, Man?

An annoying issue in MLB The Show 20 leads us to reflect on some of the flaws in our all-time favourite basketball games. We conclude that there isn't a title that we wouldn't change something in; content, a mechanic, or a noteworthy bug that needed fixing. Also, March Modness may be over, but we've still got modding on our minds. For anyone looking to get into the hobby, we offer up some advice, and discuss the various possibilities. In this week's mailbag, we're throwing it back to NBA Live 2001, and discussing the benefits of the User vs. User experience.

Tune in here!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Segageeknavarre on Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:41 pm

Most of the podcast plays have been removed from the main site?
Segageeknavarre

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:10 pm

It seems the links to the media file have been removed, and I think I know what's caused it. I'll have to fix it manually unfortunately, but I'll get them back up ASAP. Thanks for the heads up!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:59 pm

Should be all fixed now. Thanks again for letting me know! (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:06 am

Mailbag call! As always, whatever we don't use this week will be held for use in a future show, so please hit us up with your questions and topic suggestions! Certain submissions may also strike us as good ideas for the featured discussion segment, so let us know what's on your mind.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard