The Friday Five: 5 Limitations With A Sensible Explanation

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Things Removed in NBA 2K21 Next Gen

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:13 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Things Removed in NBA 2K21 Next Gen

When it comes to the things that annoy us most in the annual basketball games, legacy issues and the removal of popular features rank high on the list. For that matter, seeing legacy issues remain while cool features disappear is a common gripe born of those two complaints. Generally speaking though, we understand that there's only so much that can be done within one development cycle, and that certain changes won't come about until a new engine is introduced. Likewise, we know that some features are dropped due to technological reasons, or a lack of popularity.

It's the things that are removed due to design choices and philosophy that really make us grumble, however. NBA 2K21 Next Gen was advertised as being "built from the ground up", but it does bring back many familiar features, modes, and mechanics. A few things have fallen by the wayside with the series' jump to the next generation, though. There may be technical reasons for their absence, but it's inconvenient at best, and lacking in goodwill at worst. There's a chance that we'll see some of these things reintroduced if the demand/backlash is strong enough, but until then, here are five things from the Current Gen version that you won't find in NBA 2K21 Next Gen.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Cheats with Major Drawbacks

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:44 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Cheats with Major Drawbacks

Cheaters never prosper, as the saying goes. Of course, that saying predates video games, where cheating often leads to great success! Doom II sure felt like a walk in the park when my cousin and I punched in IDDQD and IDKFA for invincibility and all the items. There are a couple of adventure games I probably wouldn't have ever finished if not for a walkthrough, and the Konami code has benefited many a gamer over the years. Alright, it's kind of cheating yourself and it's far more satisfying when you beat a game legitimately, but the point is that cheats are indeed effective.

Well, some of them. Some cheats are more like Easter eggs, unlocking weird effects and bonus content that don't actually help you win. Some are definitely just for fun, but even then, there can be drawbacks. As is the case in other genres, employing cheats in basketball games may not allow you to make any progress. The effects of some cheats are a letdown, while others may actually make the game more difficult. Whatever the case may be, you're better off avoiding these codes and activities if you want to enjoy basketball gaming to its fullest. Here are five such examples, and the drawbacks that you can expect to experience.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Divisive Artistic Choices

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:17 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Divisive Artistic Choices

It's likely that at some point, you've heard the fable of "The miller, his son, and the donkey." It's the go-to fable whenever you want to illustrate that you can't please everyone; or, to use the wording of the moral that's appended to certain versions of the fable, "if you try to please all, you please none." The fable is talking about actions, but the message holds true for art and entertainment as well. Whether it's a video game, tabletop game, film, TV series (or an individual episode thereof), album, song, poem, drawing, painting, or whatever...nothing receives universal acclaim.

After all, it's impossible for a single work to cater to everyone's individual taste with its artistic choices. Of course, some artistic choices tend to evoke more extreme responses and opinions than others. They're the proverbial "love it or hate it" artistic choices, with very little in between. It's also interesting that some of the most divisive aspects of basketball games are generally inconsequential artistic choices that don't inhibit the core gameplay experience. Atmosphere is still important though, and a gaudy art style can be off-putting. With that in mind, here are five of the most divisive artistic choices that we've seen in various aspects of basketball video games.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:28 pm

After playing Live 2005 again, I remembered the lighting had been copied over from EA's ill-fated Catwoman game, so I don't think it was a good call in hindsight. But back then, I thought it was cool and didn't mind it
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:12 pm

I wasn't aware of that! Definitely not the right call, but I'll also admit to not outright hating it at the time. The fact that NBA Live 2005 was such a great game across the board helped too, even before we figured out how to edit the lighting file.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Odd Create-a-Player Features

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:27 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Odd Create-a-Player Features

One of the most basic staples of roster customisation in basketball games - and most sports games for that matter - is Create-a-Player. Whether you want to add a real player that's missing from the official roster, insert your own avatar into the game, or spice things up with a fictional character, it's there to indulge your creativity. Despite being a staple of roster editing, Create-a-Player has been missing from a few games, including NBA Live 14 through 16, and NBA Live 18 before a patch added it post-launch. Other than that, most games from the mid 90s onwards have included it.

Create-a-Player modes have usually offered a standard set of features as far as the ratings, bio data, and other attributes that can be assigned. As the graphics of hoops games have improved, so have the face creation tools. Generally speaking, apart from an option here and there for added depth, most 5v5 sim-oriented basketball titles have very similar Create-a-Player facilities. With that being said, there have been a few games with creation modes that have included some odd features and options, ranging from design choices and limitations to unexpected content. You know the drill: I've got five such examples to discuss, so let's begin!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Old Features That Could Be Repurposed

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:14 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Old Features That Could Be Repurposed

Old basketball games include some interesting features, many of which I've profiled in Wayback Wednesday over the years. As I've noted in those articles, there are some features that were innovative at the time and fun to look back on, but are admittedly outdated now. They've either been replaced with a more evolved concept, or they just don't fit in today's games. On the other hand, there are features in old games that I'd like to see return. Some of them would fit perfectly into modern titles, while others would need to be revamped and repurposed to be properly utilised in a new game.

That last group is what I'm focusing on today. While NBA 2K remains a deep game, and NBA Live has introduced some good ideas over the past generation despite some shaky releases, there are some old features that would make a very welcome return; particularly if they were updated and adapted for use in contemporary gameplay and modes. Unfortunately, the design principles that Visual Concepts and EA Sports are adhering to these days may make it highly unlikely, but nevertheless, I'd like to throw out these ideas for repurposed old features. After all, you never know what may happen, especially if they can be repurposed in a way that makes them relevant again.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Underrepresented Seasons in Retro Mods

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:58 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Underrepresented Seasons in Retro Mods

Full retro season roster mods are a huge undertaking. Even if a game features a large amount of retro content in the form of historical players and throwback team art, there will still be a lot of work to be done as far as adding players and creating their faces, not to mention jerseys, courts, and logos. To that point, a modder seeking to make a retro season roster will likely choose the year carefully. Some seasons will require less work than others - especially those in the 90s onwards - because of the amount of assets that can already be utilised.

Of course, there's another factor that goes into one's choice of seasons for a retro mod: popularity and notoriety of the campaign in question. I'll admit to always thinking of the 1996 season when it comes to retro roster ideas, because that's when I really got into basketball. Generally speaking, I'm also partial to years where the Chicago Bulls were on top. However, with a rich history spanning over seventy years, there are many NBA seasons filled with stories and highlights that should inspire more retro mods than they do. That's not to say that these seasons don't have any retro mods already, but all the same, I'd argue that they're underrepresented in roster projects.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Small Ways Games Went That Extra Mile

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:22 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Small Ways Games Went That Extra Mile

The small details in basketball video games are a funny thing. It's possible to obsess over them too much, to the point of nitpicking. Nothing makes us appear to be an unpleasable fanbase quite like overreacting to a minor error or missing detail that most people would never notice, and hardly ruins the entire game. At the same time, attention to detail is important, and we do notice when games go that extra mile in order to be fun and immersive. Even if it's purely cosmetic, we're likely to say "hey, that's awesome" once we've seen it.

It may be a detail that we can barely see during gameplay, but it adds authenticity that we can appreciate when replays take us closer to the action. It may be functionality that improves the quality of the experience, or contributes to the atmosphere. In some cases, it may even be content that gets patched in, adding a level of detail that we didn't expect. Whatever the case may be, the developers went that extra mile to make the game better in small ways. I'm sure we all have our favourite examples of little details that impressed us when we discovered them, and so today I'm sharing five of mine, in no particular order. Hats off to the developers for these efforts!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Cover Players You May Not Recall

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:53 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Cover Players You May Not Recall

Although cover players have no bearing on the quality of basketball video games - some of the best releases have featured unpopular choices in that regard - they're still one of the first things that we picture when we think of specific games. Enthusiastic basketball gamers will most likely be able to name the cover player of any given title they're familiar with, at least when it comes to the main face of the game. Things get trickier when it comes to the international versions, where regional cover players are used to appeal to the local market.

In recent years, announcing and promoting regional/alternate covers has become a bigger part of the preview season. Several years ago, however, those covers weren't always well-known outside of the markets that received them, with some flying under the radar for many years. As such, one can be forgiven for thinking that some of them are bootlegs or the work of Photoshop, but physical copies of the games prove that they're legitimate. Although these versions are usually identical to the main release - except their language in some cases - there's a certain novelty to them, making them sought-after collectibles. Of course, tracking them down often isn't cheap or easy.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Old Basketball Games That Shot Up In Price

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:24 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Old Basketball Games That Shot Up In Price

When it comes to sourcing copies of old NBA Live and NBA 2K releases, you won't end up paying too much. Got your hands on an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3, and feel like taking a trip down memory lane with NBA Live 10? Even on eBay, you'll likely pay less than ten dollars, Australian or US. Even games from the 90s - such as the Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis/Mega Drive version of NBA Live 95 - are generally cheap, as there are quite a number of copies in circulation. You might pay a little more for complete-in-box, but they're mostly very affordable to collect.

And then, there are the old basketball games that have shot up in price. Last year I took a look at five old basketball games that are very expensive to collect, and there's some overlap with this article. However, I've been made aware of some other titles that are tough to affordably source, at least through a market like eBay. Old basketball games are somewhat of a niche genre when it comes to video game collecting, and as I noted, many of them are too common to fetch a high price just because of their age. They're still affected by the same trends as retro game collecting in general though, especially if they're legitimately rare and highly sought after, as some of these are.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Factors That Make a Basketball Game a Favourite

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:41 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Factors That Make a Basketball Game a Favourite

What determines your favourite basketball video games? Quality and liking them a lot, obviously! Short and snarky answers aside, there are a number of factors that we can identify as playing a role in determining our favourite hoops titles. Nostalgia comes into play, but even then, there are specific aspects that hold nostalgic appeal. There have been several fantastic basketball games over the years, so it's interesting to look at the reasons why some of them end up standing out as our personal favourites, while others don't rank up there for us, as good and enjoyable as they may be.

Furthermore, there's also the matter of unpopular and controversial opinions, such as a game with a mixed reception being a personal favourite. When a game draws very polarising reactions, these factors will determine which side of the fence you stand on. And of course, just because a game is a personal favourite, it doesn't necessarily mean that you perpetually hold it up as the gold standard, or believe that no game since has been technically better. It just means that it occupies a special place in your memory, and you hold it in high regard for the great times that you had with it. If we break it down, I'd suggest that these are among the main factors that determine our favourites.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Incorrect Jerseys in Basketball Games

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:28 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Incorrect Jerseys in Basketball Games

In sim basketball titles, accuracy down to the last detail is the name of the game. An arcade title usually has more wiggle room for inaccurate, exaggerated, and stylised details, but we still expect a certain degree of faithfulness in NBA-licensed products. Some inaccuracies are admittedly only apparent to the most eagle-eyed gamers who are particularly attuned to minute details on jerseys, courts, and shoes. However, other inaccuracies are blatantly obvious to everyone, leaving one to wonder just what the developers and artists were thinking (or what sources they were working from).

Case in point: the five incorrect jerseys that I'll be spotlighting today. Now, I've decided not to include any jerseys with incorrect colour palettes, such as the Chicago Bulls jerseys that were more pink than red for so many years. My reason is that they tend to be well-known examples too numerous to mention, and we can assume that they're the result of developers working from official colour palettes that didn't yield the proper results in-game. Instead, I'm focusing on jerseys that were incorrect due to weird mistakes in their design, or some other oddity. Some of these incorrect jerseys are noticeable right away, while others do require being something of a uniform buff.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby RayRay_953 on Mon May 03, 2021 6:47 am

Good read! I noticed quite a bit of jersey mistakes in 2K20 (probably some of the other 2Ks as well):

'91-'92 Sixers: home jersey uses red numbers and letters, and they should be blue. Away jersey with the shortest shorts has the "SIXERS" text on the shorts red instead of white

'01-'06 Sixers: All jerseys actually based on the ones worn from '97-'00. This means the '01 Sixers do not have the correct jerseys ingame, and the blue alternate with this style did not exist in real life.

'12-'13 Heat: Away jerseys say "HEAT" instead of "MIAMI"

'90-'91 Blazers: Jersey designs are correct, but the '91 Blazers are assigned the uniforms worn in the '91-'92 season by default, which means the user must choose the correct uniforms before a game.
RayRay_953

Postby Andrew on Mon May 03, 2021 2:16 pm

Glad you enjoyed it! Appreciate the examples as well; between yours and the additional ones Pep pointed out, I'll probably have to write a couple of follow-up articles!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Details That Aged Quickly

Postby Andrew on Fri May 07, 2021 2:09 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Details That Aged Quickly

It's impossible for basketball video games to completely avoid being outdated in their content. Obviously there are benefits to this - as I've discussed on many occasions, I love the way hoops games can act as interactive NBA almanacs - but the point is that certain aspects of basketball titles will have already aged by the time we get our hands on them. If nothing else, the rosters need to be locked by a certain date, which gives us fun oddities such as players only appearing on a particular team in video games, players who ultimately never played in the NBA being included in games, and so on.

Of course, now that official roster updates are the norm, it doesn't matter that a game's roster has aged by its release. An abundance of content updates and patches ensure that modern games can evolve and stay current far more easily than their much older predecessors could. Of course, there are elements that aren't updated, and although their outdated nature may not ruin a game, they nevertheless stand out. Some of the examples I'm discussing today aged quickly because of events that occurred after their release, while others were already outdated before the game hit shelves. Either way they're fun to look back at, especially when a major event is involved.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Ways to Make The Rec Friendlier

Postby Andrew on Fri May 14, 2021 2:49 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Ways to Make The Rec Friendlier

After years of playing 2K Pro-Am and The Rec as part of the connected experience in MyCAREER, I've mostly moved on as of NBA 2K21. Sure, I won't rule out playing online every now and again, but too many negative experiences combined with a desire to play other modes has led to little to no desire to jump on as often as I once did. In a way that's a shame, as when The Rec and Pro-Am were fun, they were a lot of fun. The worst games were tough to endure though, and believe me, I did all I could to stomach some truly wretched virtual basketball in pursuit of good games.

With that being said, I want the online experience in NBA 2K to improve. Whether or not I ever regularly partake in the scene again, I'd like to see it become as good as it possibly can be, so that the people who do want to play online have an enjoyable time. This applies to all of the connected modes in MyCAREER - as well as online play in MyTEAM - but The Rec's purpose as an arena for impromptu, makeshift squads means that it invites a specific brand of toxic play. From the comments I've seen on Twitter and Reddit, The Rec could stand to be a friendlier and more cooperative place. Here are five ways that it could possibly achieve that goal moving forward.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Jerseys Appearing in Games Once

Postby Andrew on Fri May 21, 2021 11:07 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Jerseys Appearing in Games Once

We're accustomed to seeing a wide variety of jerseys in the 5v5 sim titles. Ever since the introduction of retro uniforms and the jersey selection screen, we expect to have plenty of choices to outfit the team we're controlling on the virtual hardwood. The variety has fluctuated throughout the years, and recently, NBA Live and NBA 2K have taken very different approaches. NBA Live only includes the selection of current jerseys and specific throwbacks that will be worn during a season, whereas NBA 2K - in part thanks to its bevy of retro content - features a more comprehensive selection.

Of course, there are some jerseys that you won't find among the retro uniforms in the recent NBA 2K titles. A few teams have gaps in their selection of historical primary uniforms, but there are also some alternate and special jerseys that can't be found. This isn't necessarily surprising though, especially when some of those jerseys have only ever appeared in games once over the years. Indeed, to the best of my research, the jerseys I'm listing here have only ever appeared in one game. Note that I'm talking about official appearances, which excludes mods and unused files. With that being said, let's take a look at some of the rarest uniforms on the virtual hardwood!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Games with the Wrong Vibe

Postby Andrew on Fri May 28, 2021 2:11 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Games with the Wrong Vibe

I wouldn't blame you if you're looking at this week's topic and thinking that I've lost my mind, talking about a basketball game having the wrong kind of "vibe". What kind of a metric is that? Allow me to explain myself, as I think many of you will actually be able to relate. I'm sure that at some point, we've all eagerly picked up a new hoops title, only to feel disappointed in it. However, that disappointment goes beyond our complaints about gameplay, modes, graphics, animations, and so on. Something about the game just feels...off. Some problems may be more conceptual than technical.

As such, this can be a very personal reaction, and thus highly subjective. Furthermore, although it's more common for games with a lot of issues to have the wrong vibe, it can also happen with titles that are generally considered to be good, if something about them just doesn't gel with you. To that end, while I expect I'm not alone on a couple of the examples I'm sharing here, I suspect that not everyone will agree with all of them. That's fine; as I said, it's highly subjective, and I'd be interested to hear other examples from my fellow basketball gamers. With that being said, for one reason or another, these five games just didn't have the right vibe for me.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Basketball Gaming Confessions

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:40 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Basketball Gaming Confessions

Today, I'm opening up the floor to basketball gaming confessions. What do I mean by that? Well, I think it's fair to say that when it comes to the virtual hardwood, we've all made some mistakes, have some surprising or unpopular opinions that contradict our usual stance on basketball gaming topics, and have done things that are hypocritical. Hey, we're complicated beings, and none of us are perfect! We don't like to admit it because we don't enjoy looking foolish, even when it comes to something as low stakes as a recreational activity like basketball video games.

So you know what? Let's remove that stigma and share some stories! I'll readily tip things off with five basketball gaming confessions of my own. There's nothing sinister here; nothing particularly scandalous. From finding enjoyment in aspects that I've criticised to being a sore loser on the virtual hardwood, I'm willing to put my hand up and admit to blunders, regrets, and guilty pleasures. Some of these confessions may be surprising, while others will probably make sense. There's also something I can chalk up as research and a learning experience, while another is a reminder to always pay attention when shopping on eBay. With that being said, let the admissions begin!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Decisions for Retro Season Mods

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:10 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Decisions for Retro Season Mods

When I discovered the NLSC in August 1997 via an Altavista search - yes, before Googling was a thing! - I was enthralled by modding, or patching as it was called back then. As I've said before, the ability to give my created Michael Jordan actual bio data and edit the jersey numbers of original players was honestly mind-blowing. Like a lot of gamers, I'd tried to keep the rosters of my favourite game up to date, but the editors that our founders made opened up the possibility of creating detailed roster modifications and then sharing them with other people. I was hooked.

As the current roster update for NBA Live 96 also featured retro season rosters, I discovered that concept at the same time, and it likewise drew me in. I went on to create several current roster updates over the years, as well as a few retro season mods. With official updates handling the current rosters - quibbles with their quality aside - big retro projects are more in vogue these days. We're seeing some fantastic retro rosters for recent NBA 2K titles, and I love it! Speaking from experience, there are a few decisions that you have to make when you're preparing to make retro season mods, in order to have the best chance of success. Today, I'm outlining five of them.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Annoying Instant Replay Quirks

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:26 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Annoying Instant Replay Quirks

If you had to name the key components of a basketball video game, or any sports title for that matter, instant replay would definitely be on that list. Of course, it's also very easy to skip over, as it's a function that we sometimes take for granted. We certainly notice when it's absent though, as was the case in the Xbox 360 version of NBA Live 06. Whether we want to re-watch an incredible play again and again from different angles, capture a video or screenshot, or take a second look at something that didn't seem right, it's great that we can pause and rewind the last minute or so of the action.

Because there doesn't need to be much depth to the functionality of instant replay, it hasn't really changed much throughout the years. For the most part, that hasn't been a problem. However, the lack of innovation in the instant replay functions of basketball games has resulted in a few annoying quirks continuing to pop up through the years. We can usually work around them and they're not necessarily big problems if you aren't a content creator. Nevertheless, I imagine that long-time basketball gamers will recognise the annoying instant replay quirks that I'm describing here today. With that being said, let's roll it back and take another look at them!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby RayRay_953 on Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:01 am

Although this isn't necessarily a feature, there was a particularly annoying glitch with 2K11's replays. I remember in the PC version how sometimes players would appear headless after a dunk during replays, and it didn't happen in any other version of the game. Kinda ruins some screenshots lol
RayRay_953

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:14 am

Oh, I'm familiar with that one! I think it might have happened in NBA 2K10 as well, but it was definitely a prominent glitch in NBA 2K11. You had to find the right frame to take a good screenshot!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Corrections to Previous Articles

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:42 pm

The Friday Five: 5 Corrections to Previous Articles

Guess what? I'm not perfect. Just ask former Forum members that we've had to show the door for one reason or another; especially the ones that email me long diatribes, or bash me in social media and blog posts! Alright, maybe don't listen to them. For all my faults, I'd like to think I'm not the wretched stain on humanity that they paint me as being. Wry potshots at disillusioned denizens of days gone by aside, I do make mistakes. I'm not infallible in my knowledge of basketball and basketball gaming, and to that end, occasionally I've erred and failed to double-check for accuracy.

I'd also like to think that my features, be they articles or videos, have continued to improve. I've been able to develop a style, hone my writing and editing skills, and devise some interesting topics to discuss. At least, I hope that's been the case! I've also made it a point to ensure that I do the necessary research regarding details that aren't widely known, or otherwise embedded in my memory. However, there are still times when I've trusted my recollections when I shouldn't have, as well as a few things that I didn't know until I expanded my basketball video game collection. In the interests of transparency and accuracy, here are five corrections I'm making to previous articles.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard