80's and 90's settings - Illegal Defense

Talk about NBA 2K14 here.

80's and 90's settings - Illegal Defense

Postby GD7 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:07 am

Did you ever play NBA 2K14 with UBR, URB or some other Roster mod that brings you back to the 80's and 90's and thought to yourself: ''Wow, this is amazing, but it feels like something is missing''

Indeed, even if the players, jersey's, arenas and even the scoreboard feel like they're from the appropriate era, a key feature is missing, the rule that defined how teams would play offense and defense, the illegal defense rule

You probably noticed that the deffenders keep backing off of poor shooters, without switching to guard someone else, or that off ball deffenders keep moving to the freethrow line
to stop anyone from penetrating to the rim, or even playing zone defense, that can really kill the immersion that you're playing in the 80's and 90's

Ofcourse, we can't really make a mod that enables the illegal defense rule, but what we can do, is emulate it
with that in mind, if you start up a game, before the match starts, you can go into Coaching>Defensive settings, and from there, you can change the way your players will behave on the court

You need to change 3 things in the settings:
1. Dbl team *EDIT* :
Set for PG,SG,SF : On drive
Set for PF,C : Auto

That way, you can emulate how a guard would feel if he went up for a layup, he would get 2 or 3 defenders on him quicker than Kobe in the last 5 seconds of the game,
and PF and Centers won't get double teamed by the other big while in the post immediately, which would have led to a Center passing to a wide open PF out of a double team for an easy dunk, you still can get double teamed as a center, if you keep using him and he gets hot, although the AI shouldn't make the mistake of sending a Powerforward to double team, instead someone else should come

2. On ball - set for every player: tight
This is self explanatory, if you didn't guard your man in the 80's or 90's, and didn't guard anyone off ball, after 3 seconds you would get called for Illegal defense, so you will want to stay within arms reach of your on ball opponent almost at all times

3. Off ball - set for every player: tight/deny ball
This is the bread and butter of these settings, with your AI teammates being set to deny the ball for their opponents, they will emulate the defense of the era, and whenever
someone comes to drive, one or more of them will run to the paint to stop that man at all cost

Once you've set these settings for all of your players, you can go to settings and switch teams (Some might not like the fact that their stats won't be saved, but you can screenshot the end of the game, so I think it's not as important) once you've switched teams, do the same for your opponent, so that they can emulate following the illegal defense rule

Screenshots, if someone didn't understand the instructions by any chance:
https://imgur.com/a/cl6yVcR

Now, this is just a work in progress, I've been playing several games with different settings, and I found out that the best results come when I set it up this way
Off ball:
- for guards : Deny ball
- for small forwards/power forwards that can shoot: Deny ball
- for SF,PF,C- Tight

That way, centers and power forwards won't get stuck in the post up animation and will be quicker to double team anyone penetrating to the rim for a layup, although there is a higher risk that they will start playing zone randomly with Tight settings, where as in Deny ball, they will never just randomly walk away from their man, but there is a higher risk that they'll get stuck in the postup animation, so it's really up to you, but for me personally, tight works well

I would really appreciate feedback from anyone that is willing to test out these settings, I personally use my own Slider settings that work with these settings, which allow me to get realistic stats for 12 minute quarters

I wasn't thinking about making this when I figured it out, but once I decided to make this topic, I made a point to Screenshot the end game of some matches for you guys to check out, if you are interested:

Minesota Timberwolves vs Boston Celtics (1999) (94 : 81) - https://imgur.com/a/6XgUMjA

Chicago Bulls vs New York Knicks (1996) (98 : 84) - https://imgur.com/a/NRfQpCq

Los Angeles Lakers vs Houston Rockets (1999) (105 : 85) - https://imgur.com/a/ELlk5Cs

Some thoughts on the games
with Minesota, I think the reason I was able to break away in the 2nd half was because of our Defense, I focused on shutting down Pierce hard, throughout the whole game
and it worked perfectly, he only scored 3 points, we forced him into very bad shots over several hands and I think that's what tipped the odds in my favour as I took the lead in the 3rd quarter and kept rising it steadily.

With the Bulls, the scoreboard might indicate that it was a blowout, but I can tell you, keeping the lead after the first quarter was very hard, I managed to turn Ewing into a ghost in the 1st and 2nd quarter, but he exploded like a bomb in the 3rd and 4th quarter, in the end I was able to slow him down by putting Rodman on him, but then Oakley started getting hot, all in all, it was an intense game, even though I was up the whole time, I certainly felt the momentum shifting into their favour

With the Lakers, I'm not sure why I even took them, It was going to be a win from the moment I decided to use them, mainly because my playstyle works well in sync with Kobe and Shaq dynamic, the game was never close, even when I subbed out Kobe and Shaq, Fisher, Horry and Fox were able to fill in the gaps to keep the lead in double digits as the AI desperately kept Pippen, Barkley and Hakeem in the game, trying to bring themselves back from the hole, and once they got tired and subbed out, Kobe and Shaq were rested and then it was just a massacre, this time, experience couldn't keep up with young talent

One last thing that I would like to mention is: If you're going to use this to emulate how it felt to play in those eras, please put yourself in the shoes of coaches of that time, for them, the 3pt shot was inconsistent and risky, the drive to the rim was the easiest way to score but also the one that would leave players with bruises, and the mid range was a compromise, so keep that in mind, I would suggest tuning down the fouls frequency in game sliders, because even on default, the ammount of fouls that get called is ridicilous, and more than half of those wouldn't be called during that time, also keep in mind that if you play like the Steve Nash led Suns and run and gun, you won't be able to expect a realistic stat line
Last edited by GD7 on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wizard MJ pulling out invisible wings to perform a FT Line Dunk https://i.imgur.com/hR6tHKq.png
AI acrobatics against 3 deffenders (Live 04) https://i.imgur.com/oJFRPwG.mp4
GD7

Re: 80's and 90's settings - Illegal Defense

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:25 am

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Wolfy03 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:21 pm

This is really interesting idea! Thanks for sharing.
Wolfy03

Postby GD7 on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:33 pm

After a few more matches with teams that rely on their bigs making shots from the post to win games, I came across a noticable flaw in the settings

Once you enter the post with a player and start backing your deffender towards the basket, you will immediately get double teamed, which leaves the other big
wide open for an easy dunk or layup, which can easily be exploited for easy points, which isn't the point of these settings, it's supposed to give a challenge of having to score against deffenders that won't give up an inch of free space

The fix for that is fairly simple though, In deffensive settings, go to dbl team and do the following:
For PG,SG,SF : On drive
For PF,C: Auto

That way, the AI won't double team your center or power forward as they make their way in the post, but if you keep going to the post all the time and scoring,
you will get double teamed by the AI, but there is a difference between who double teams

For example, In one game with the 80's Lakers vs Clippers, Kareem was getting hot, and when I gave it to him in the post, instead of being double teamed by
a powerforward, which would have left my PF wide open for a dunk, I got double teamed by their Shooting guard who was close by, since the AI knew my guard didn't have a 3pt shot, so I was forced to pass to the SG, and drive to the basket to try and finish it in traffic (thanks shot clock)

By the way, here's an example of another match:
Los Angeles Lakers vs San Diego Clippers (1980) (95:91) - https://imgur.com/a/G0euQ0w

It was hairy in the beginning and end, as it was my first time using rookie Magic Johnson, so I tried to be fancy and gave up the ball a lot which led to them having a big lead early in the quarter, but eventually I got the hang of him and Kareem, and I was delighted to see that I could use them like Shaq and Kobe with a picknroll, although Magic didn't have the most reliable jumper, it was still a threat the AI had to respect, and Kareem's Hook shot is gold, I don't think I ever missed with it, same for his fadeaway, but World B Free was not having it, and almost made a comeback on his own in the 4th, luckily Magic was clutch in the last minutes

One thing I found funny is that I managed to grab at least one rebound with all the players in my team, even Wilkes, who got injured in the first 2 minutes of the game, which is a shame, since the 1 basket he scored, he did it with a spectacular layup against 3 deffenders, so I feel like I could have used him a lot in that match, not to mention he got injured after scoring said basket
Wizard MJ pulling out invisible wings to perform a FT Line Dunk https://i.imgur.com/hR6tHKq.png
GD7

Postby TGsoGood on Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:18 pm

:applaud:
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby GD7 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:52 am

In case anyone wants an example of how the game should play out if you decide to drive to the rim with these settings on, here's MJ coming back after his first retirement, trying to drive to the rim against San Antonio: https://imgur.com/a/km2f52N

EDIT: Spoiler alert: He missed.
GD7

Postby slimm44 on Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:14 am

Have you noticed the CPU not taking many 3's with off-ball d set to deny or tight?
Image Image Image

URB WHERE SIM HAPPENS [38 Complete Seasons Mods]

2019/2020 2018/2019 2017/2018 2016/2017 2015/2016 2014/2015 2013/2014 2012/2013 2011/2012 2010/2011
2009/2010 2008/2009 2007/2008 2006/2007 2005/2006 2004/2005 2003/2004 2002/2003 2001/2002 2000/2001
1999/2000 1998/1999 1997/1998 1996/1997 1995/1996 1994/1995 1993/1994 1992/1993 1991/1992 1990/1991
1989/1990 1988/1989 1987/1988 1986/1987 1985/1986 1984/1985 1969/1970 1961/1962

What makes this mod “sim”? Here are a few of the features that set this project apart from all others:

- Every art file (jerseys, arenas, cyberfaces, accessories, courts, dornas (advertisement at half court), etc is realistic and none will crash game play
- There is no missing art file in the entire project

Every player in every roster has:
- Accurate statistical ratings and tendencies to work with 2k's simulation engine while still providing realistic game play
- Realistic ratings and tendencies that affect game play but not the simulation engine ie dribbling, athletic ratings, post tendencies, etc.
- Realistic physical attributes that decrease after major injuries or as the player gets older
- Accurate play types
- Accurate contracts

- Accurately updated Coaching profiles and playbooks

- Draft classes that have realistic player information for every player

- A few slider sets designed to be a base for realistic game play
slimm44
Contributor
Contributor

Postby GD7 on Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:12 pm

slimm44 wrote:Have you noticed the CPU not taking many 3's with off-ball d set to deny or tight?

Now that you mention it, It did feel like they were taking more shots in the paint than usual, or driving to the basket, although they did shoot 3's if they were open, but I think that's mainly because of the plays that the AI ran.
If you take a look at the stats of some of the games I posted in this topic, you'll see that it depended on the team, someone like the 96 Knicks didn't shoot many 3's since they were giving the ball to Ewing or Oakley, and the rest were cutting,PnR and iso plays, at least that's what I remember while playing, I remember it being a nightmare to keep those 2 at bay during the second half of the game.

Honestly the biggest gripe I have so far is the high number of steals and blocks in the game, even with the sliders for steal success and blocking ability being in single digits, the games still end in large numbers of steals and blocks, although I guess blocks are to be expected when you try to drive to the paint and suddenly you have someone like Shaq and Grant with Hardaway trying to stop you from finishing at the rim.

EDIT: I will try out a game with 94 Rockets vs Pacers, I'll play 1 game as the Rockets, 1 game as the Pacers, and then spectate it between the AI, just to see the difference in playstyle, although I believe that the AI will be taking at the very least 10 3pt shots for each team.
GD7

Postby slimm44 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:08 am

GD7 wrote:
slimm44 wrote:Have you noticed the CPU not taking many 3's with off-ball d set to deny or tight?

Now that you mention it, It did feel like they were taking more shots in the paint than usual, or driving to the basket, although they did shoot 3's if they were open, but I think that's mainly because of the plays that the AI ran.
If you take a look at the stats of some of the games I posted in this topic, you'll see that it depended on the team, someone like the 96 Knicks didn't shoot many 3's since they were giving the ball to Ewing or Oakley, and the rest were cutting,PnR and iso plays, at least that's what I remember while playing, I remember it being a nightmare to keep those 2 at bay during the second half of the game.

Honestly the biggest gripe I have so far is the high number of steals and blocks in the game, even with the sliders for steal success and blocking ability being in single digits, the games still end in large numbers of steals and blocks, although I guess blocks are to be expected when you try to drive to the paint and suddenly you have someone like Shaq and Grant with Hardaway trying to stop you from finishing at the rim.

EDIT: I will try out a game with 94 Rockets vs Pacers, I'll play 1 game as the Rockets, 1 game as the Pacers, and then spectate it between the AI, just to see the difference in playstyle, although I believe that the AI will be taking at the very least 10 3pt shots for each team.

Good stuff! The Rockets should take around 15 3's and the Pacers should take 10 or less, really closer to 5.
Image Image Image

URB WHERE SIM HAPPENS [38 Complete Seasons Mods]

2019/2020 2018/2019 2017/2018 2016/2017 2015/2016 2014/2015 2013/2014 2012/2013 2011/2012 2010/2011
2009/2010 2008/2009 2007/2008 2006/2007 2005/2006 2004/2005 2003/2004 2002/2003 2001/2002 2000/2001
1999/2000 1998/1999 1997/1998 1996/1997 1995/1996 1994/1995 1993/1994 1992/1993 1991/1992 1990/1991
1989/1990 1988/1989 1987/1988 1986/1987 1985/1986 1984/1985 1969/1970 1961/1962

What makes this mod “sim”? Here are a few of the features that set this project apart from all others:

- Every art file (jerseys, arenas, cyberfaces, accessories, courts, dornas (advertisement at half court), etc is realistic and none will crash game play
- There is no missing art file in the entire project

Every player in every roster has:
- Accurate statistical ratings and tendencies to work with 2k's simulation engine while still providing realistic game play
- Realistic ratings and tendencies that affect game play but not the simulation engine ie dribbling, athletic ratings, post tendencies, etc.
- Realistic physical attributes that decrease after major injuries or as the player gets older
- Accurate play types
- Accurate contracts

- Accurately updated Coaching profiles and playbooks

- Draft classes that have realistic player information for every player

- A few slider sets designed to be a base for realistic game play
slimm44
Contributor
Contributor

Postby GD7 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:45 am

slimm44 wrote:Good stuff! The Rockets should take around 15 3's and the Pacers should take 10 or less, really closer to 5.

So, I've completed those 3 games that I talked about, and the results were pretty intriguing. I'm sorry in advance for the wall of text.

First game was me controlling the Pacers vs Houston: https://imgur.com/a/KJfjDpe
I tried to play my style of basketball (Mostly PnR and cutting plays, or random set plays) but almost every time I was about to complete my play, a deffender would come out of nowhere which left me in the position that I had to pass it to the other side for a wide open shooter, and that happened quite a lot, it's as if the AI didn't respect Reggie Miller's Jumper or anyone else's. Worst part is, I missed almost all of those wide open 3pt shots/Mid range shots. Reggie Miller got wide open a couple of times in the first quarter, and missed every single shot, so I was forced to sub him out, so I already shot myself in the foot by missing those shots, meanwhile, the AI shot 2 3-pointers over my deffenders and nailed them, so I was just a tiny bit salty, luckily their 3rd 3 pointer missed, which resulted in a fast break dunk.
2nd quarter was more of the same, I'm about to complete a cutting play, but a deffender from the corner runs over to stop me from passing to my cutting player, so I pass it to the corner and miss again, luckily the AI went on a cold streak as well, so I was able to capitalize on it and keep myself ahead for the first half.
In the 3rd quarter however, Reggie caught fire from the mid range, he also knocked down his only 2 3-pointers, but, Hakeem did what he does best, I couldn't stop him, one on one, he torched whoever tried to stop him, I tried to double team him, the open player cuts for a dunk, And I can't remember how many times I jumped for one of his fakes, that guy taught me to never jump in the post, it's much better to just try to stay on him, and pray that he misses, which he did... eventually.
4th quarter was just a slow grind, even though I was winning the entire time, Smith caught fire and started raining down threes and assists all over the place, I'm honestly surprised that I managed to hold on to win, the AI got desperate and started chucking 3's over deffenders, but then Hakeem would just rebound and pass out for another 3pt attempt.

Second game was me controlling Houston : https://imgur.com/a/zTiolDA

This game ended in OT, and I thought my heart was gonna give out in the 4th.
The entire game, I was swapping leads with the AI, I remember seeing the stats in the 4th quarter, and it said 20 lead changes, I did everything I could to blow away the Pacers, but just like the last time, the shots just weren't dropping, in the 4th quarter I decided to utilize low ball, with Horry as the PF, and Hakeem as the Center, that way I had as much space as I needed as every player was on the 3pt line, and Hakeem was with the ball in the post, working on the deffender, and that's how the 4th quarter went, everything went through Hakeem, either he scored in the post, or passed it to one of the shooters that got open after a double team, although most of the shots were within the 3pt line, which was frustrating, I had no time to reposition near the 3pt line because of the deffender trying to get back into position, so I was forced to take a lot of mid range shots that should have been 3-pointers. in the last 3 minutes of the game, AI was leading by five points, and the only thing that saved me was the MVP Hakeem, He made 2 huge stops by blocking their players driving to the rim, and then made clutch post shots, and suddenly I'm in the lead, but then Reggie happened, He didn't score any 3-pointer for 3 quarters, and in the last 2 minutes, he scores 2 3-pointers to tie the game, and now it's my possesion, 40 seconds left, so I do what I always do, give it to Hakeem, and their PF comes over to help stop him, and I have Robert Horry, at the 3pt line, all alone, so I pass it to him, wide open, last minute, he takes the shot and misses, but the MVP Hakeem grabs the rebound, and passes back to Horry, who is still wide open, because their Center and PF tried to box out Hakeem, and he misses again. This time the Pacers grab the rebound and call a time out, 20 seconds left, tied, and I'm just waiting for Reggie to score again, they inbound it, and I can already see that they're running a play to open up Reggie for a shot, their PF sets a screen for our SG, but I mess it up and get caught up in the animation, so I am forced to quickly switch over to Horry to run to Reggie, but he already got the ball, and is elevating for a shot, I'm about to get a heart attack, but Reggie misses the shot to win the game, Hakeem rebounds it and the clock runs out, and I can't believe that just happened, Reggie Miller, wide open, chokes (Insert Miller choking himself picture here). and in the OT, I finally break away from the Pacers, and go on to win the match with Hakeem getting a tripple double, a true MVP performance, what puzzled me was that the Pacers intentionally foulded me when I had the ball with Hakeem in the last 30 seconds of the match, when I was already up by 8 points, but then as Hakeem is doing his FT Routine, I hear the chants : ''MVP MVP MVP'' and he nails both of them, and we win the game, it was genuinely amazing.

The third game was just me spectating the game, so the only player interference was me setting up the Defensive settings for both sides, and from there: https://imgur.com/a/Ys8wbEZ
The Pacers just destroyed the Rockets, but a miracle happened, you could almost say it was a... dream, the Rockets dug themselves out of the hole in the 4th quarter, and again it came down to the wire, although it went a bit differently this time, The Rockets were leading by a single point, less than a minute untill the game ends, and the Pacers have possession, again, like the last game, the play clearly goes for Reggie, he gets the ball at the 3pt line, but help deffence is already there, and over 2 hands, Reggie takes the shot, and nails it, and just like that, the crowd is dead silent, less than 20 seconds and the Pacers lead by 2 points from Miller's clutch 3, but then, the Rockets run a play again, I'm thinking it's gonna go for Hakeem, he gets the ball, but suddenly he's passing it out, it's Horry, wide open for a 3, with seconds remaining on the shot clock, nobody near him, he takes the shot, and hits it, his only 3 pointer that game, and it's a game winner. I really shouldn't have worn headphones while spectating this match, because the crowd went insane, the commentators as well, it was just amazing, I didn't really know how to feel, I was utterly amazed by both Miller's and Horry's shot, but I was also feeling a little salty with Horry, because he couldn't do the same for me when I was controlling him.

That's a lot of shots to miss in the game, so I'll tell you about the sliders I use:
The Mid range shot is 48 and the 3pt shot is 47 for both user and AI
the Tendencies settings are all at 100 for both user and AI ( I heard that the AI won't seem clunky or robotic and will adapt offensively, and I found that to be very true, any time I slept on their players, they made me pay with a cut or a wide open shot that they didn't hesitate to take.)
Although if you have some realistic settings, I would love to test them out.
and as for the shot control, I decided to use the real player %, my reasoning for it was to minimalize player input, so if I took a shot with Miller, me timing his shot release correctly wouldn't matter, what would matter is his FG%, it would bassically be as if the AI took the shot.

As you probably noticed, the AI took more shots than their real life counterparts, same for me, although as I explained before, most of my 3pt shots weren't planned, I was forced to adapt because the defence decided to help out, and I had to pass the ball to the open man, and if he can shoot the 3, take it, if not move in a bit closer for a mid range shot, or try my luck in the paint. The AI however, for them it was a mix, some of their shots were part of the play, or just me playing poor defense, and not being able to get past the screens that the AI set.
GD7

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:46 am

Interesting ; i notice that there's too few FT for complete 12 mins games.

If you play with URB, why dont you use their sliders as a base ?
sticky-fingers

Postby GD7 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:16 am

sticky-fingers wrote:Interesting ; i notice that there's too few FT for complete 12 mins games.

If you play with URB, why dont you use their sliders as a base ?

I use UBR, so I'm not sure what sliders URB uses
I am aware that UBR has their own set of sliders for certain era's, the problem is though, if I try to use UBR sliders, the game always crashes just before the tip off.

Yeah, I noticed that as well, at one point, I set blocking sliders to 5 for both user and AI, yet the result was the same, too many blocks, and not enough fouls when driving to the paint, I think I will have to find a new set of sliders soon, just to balance out the chances, since for me, as it stands, when you drive to the paint, one of these things is going to happen: Either you get blocked, you miss the layup, or you somehow make it with deffenders over you, rarely do I see a foul getting called when I try to finish at the rim.

EDIT: I will soon be getting myself a new PC, so I might even try out URB, just to see the difference between the two, honestlly, I learned about UBR first, I downloaded the mod, and started using it, then a few days later I learned about URB, and didn't want to waste space on my PC for 2 identical mods, although now I'm curious as to which one is better (from a subjective standpoint of course, I'm not a critic)
GD7

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:18 am

You're right UBR has sliders for 80's and 90's (but it doesnt crash on my computer).
sticky-fingers

Postby GD7 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:21 am

sticky-fingers wrote:You're right UBR has sliders for 80's and 90's (but it doesnt crash on my computer).

Can you perhaps screenshot the sliders for both user and AI for both of those settings? then I can manually put them in, without crashing I hope, of course if you already have UBR on your PC/Laptop.
GD7

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:52 am

There's too many screenshots to take, so I did a video :doh:

phpBB [video]

HD resolutions will appear in few minutes
sticky-fingers

Postby GD7 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:59 am

sticky-fingers wrote:There's too many screenshots to take, so I did a video :doh:

phpBB [video]

HD resolutions will appear in few minutes

Wow, thanks man, I'll be sure to test these settings out, although I'm a bit surprised that the pass accuracy is over 50, whenever I saw some sliders online, they always put passing accuracy around 45-49 as to simulate players making natural mistakes or something along those lines.
I'm looking forward to checking the stats.
GD7

Return to NBA 2K14