Help with shooting?

Talk about NBA 2K14 here.

Help with shooting?

Postby tinpanalley on Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:31 am

I simply have more of a head for button shooting than stick shooting. But what I'm wondering is if there is any way to get the game to give you instructions in the Training Camp for how to pull off all the different moves and shots with BUTTON shooting as opposed to only with the stick. Did they not offer that at all anywhere in the game? Does anyone know of any site that helps explain how to do everything with right stick set only to dribbling/isomotion?
Thanks for any help!

(Oh, and please, if all you can think of, like two people on reddit, is to make fun of me for still playing 2K14, then I'd rather you just didn't comment because that was a really unpleasant experience.)
tinpanalley

Re: Help with shooting?

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:52 pm

I was curious so I went back and took a look, and indeed, it doesn't seem like there are any button-related tutorials. Double-checking the manuals, it doesn't look like there are any button-oriented alternatives listed for the advanced moves, either.

It's been a while since I played NBA 2K14 regularly and I used the default Pro Stick settings when I did. However, glancing at the manual and messing around a bit in Practice, I do think I've discovered something I can suggest. From what I can tell, those moves can be performed by replacing the right stick movements with either button presses, or button presses in conjunction with left stick movement.

For example, a reverse layup while driving along the baseline can be performed with the right stick by holding it towards the baseline. It can also be performed while driving baseline and holding the left stick towards the baseline as you press the shoot button; basically the same action, only a combination of the left stick and shoot button instead of just holding the right stick in that direction.

Similar alterations can be made to other aspects of Pro Stick Shooting. I'll see if I can explain it, because it's admittedly contrived.

With shots that involve holding the right stick in a direction - back, left, right, towards the baseline, etc - it seems to be a matter of holding the left stick in that direction while pressing shoot, so that it acts as a modifier. Similar to the aforementioned example, a runner would be performed by holding the left stick away from the basket while driving in the midrange, and pressing shoot. Euro steps would involve holding the left stick away and to the left/right of the basket as you press shoot. In short, for these moves, substitute "right stick" for "left stick" and follow the same motion in conjunction with a press of the shoot button.

Conversely, basic moves such as shooting a jumpshot, pump fakes, and step throughs, are a matter of replacing the right stick movement with presses of the shoot button. In other words, where the controls advise you to hold or tap the right stick, you hold or tap the button instead. I'm sure you already know that because it's the way the shoot button has worked for a long time, but I figured I'd put it out there for the sake of a more comprehensive rundown, and to clarify the difference in making alterations to the listed controls.

The spin shot and half-spin shot are a bit different, because they involve performing a dribbling move with the right stick and holding it down to continue into a shot. In this case, perform the movement with the right stick as normal, but as the move begins, press the shoot button to transition into the spin shot or half-spin shot as it completes.

From my testing, this should work, but unfortunately it's definitely clunkier and less precise than the right stick shooting controls. The problem is that when they adapted the Pro Stick to be used for both dribbling and shooting, despite offering the option of only using the right stick for dribbling moves, they didn't really flesh out the button-oriented advanced shooting controls or explain them in tutorials (or even the manual). Presumably they figured most gamers would adjust to and adopt the new combined stick controls, so while there is an alternative, it's a bit clumsily designed and not properly explained. As such, the moves are harder to pull off if you're only using the button, but as far as I can tell, it is actually possible by with the appropriate left stick movement and shoot button presses.

One final note: even if you're using Absolute control settings for dribbling controls on the right stick, when using the left stick as a modifier for shooting, it appears to always be Court/Camera Relative. For example, with Absolute control, down on the right stick will always be away from the basket, up will always be towards it, and the same with left and right. With the Camera Relative setting, it's going to change according to your position. Just something to keep in mind when you're substituting left stick movement for right stick movement in conjunction with pressing the shoot button. Again, it's a bit contrived and imprecise, but it appears to work.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K14