Desperately need some help getting this game running

Talk about NBA 2K14 here.

Desperately need some help getting this game running

Postby pastrami1993 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:32 am

Hey guys, I've been having a ton of issues with this game lately. I've had it installed on this computer for about two years now and I've never had any issues but this past week I have been unable to get the game to load into the main menu. Every time I launch the game, I get right up until the LeBron video starts playing and it freezes on the first frame. Here's what I've done in terms of troubleshooting

-Uninstalled all mods and redownloaded from steam
-Verified the integrity of the game files in steam
-tried running the game as admin
-Tried running the compatibility troubleshooter
-Uninstalled and reinstalled GPU drivers
-Tried running it offline
-turned off steam overlay
-Fresh install of Windows with the only programs installed are steam and 2k14

I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure this out. I have the same game installed on my main machine running Windows 11 and I'm having 0 problems whatsoever. I've tried virtually everything I can find online and I still have nothing. If anyone here has any advice or has run into the same problem, I'd really appreciate the help. Thank you!
pastrami1993

Re: Desperately need some help getting this game running

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:48 am

I made 2 vidéos which could help
they are in tutorial section viewtopic.php?f=154&t=111533
sticky-fingers

Postby pastrami1993 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:35 am

sticky-fingers wrote:I made 2 vidéos which could help
they are in tutorial section viewtopic.php?f=154&t=111533

So I tried updating the Host file like you recommended and it worked great. Ran the game about 5 times in a row just to make sure everything worked fine and it did. The only problem is that after I performed a reboot on my PC, the problem came back and the issue was still there. I'm really curious as to what's going on here
pastrami1993

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:54 pm

There's no reason that your hosts file came back to default.
It should be persistant unless a software modifies it (like an antivirus).
sticky-fingers

Postby pastrami1993 on Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:10 am

That's what I was thinking so I'm still doing some troubleshooting on that side of things.

In the mean time, I've found a temporary fix by running the game in Big Picture mode on steam. So far that's been the only consistent way I've been able to get the game to work.
pastrami1993

Postby bongo88 on Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:02 am

pastrami1993 wrote:
So I tried updating the Host file like you recommended and it worked great. Ran the game about 5 times in a row just to make sure everything worked fine and it did. The only problem is that after I performed a reboot on my PC, the problem came back and the issue was still there. I'm really curious as to what's going on here

I've had times when the hosts files gets bypassed and outbound connection exist. They say it shouldn't happen, but noticed this with windows 10 trying to block the nvidia shadowplay/geforce expericene from outbound connection.... Host files say they block the outbound, but the OS, or an program, maybe the antivirus lets them through.

i just block stuff with the firewall.... works better and simpler. https://www.minitool.com/news/block-pro ... l-009.html

Anyways, noticed the 2k14.exe was still trying to connect to servers.... so blocked it in the firewall for outbound connections.

Also, i have a bluetooth speaker on my desk.... if the speaker shuts off during 2k14 gameplay.... the whole 2k14 freezes immediatly. Maybe audio drivers are a problem. or the audio settings. didn't see audio drivers/settings on your list.
bongo88

Return to NBA 2K14