GIMP dxt5 problem

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K14 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

GIMP dxt5 problem

Postby BureBaruta on Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:32 pm

Hi there all.I got a problem with gimp and saving (exporting) files to dxt5 format,sometimes when i save the image some parts of the image get pixelated.When i just do the recoloring of jerseys (mostly Pepis made jerseys)and save them its all good,but i started making fictional jerseys (just for myself,nothing serious,i have been using other peoples rebranding concepts,like this one at the moment http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8078/8415 ... aa01_o.jpg) and most of the times when i save the file its the same as the uncompressed image,but in some cases it gets bad,usually its the parts that i used from those rebranding concepts.I tried converting jpg image through DDS Converter but its the same thing.If any of you can point me to some tutorial of sorts for gimp and converting files,everything i have found didnt help me? Oh,and even though i started playing around with gimp a year ago consider me a novice in this.Thanks in advance and thanks for all the great mods so far !
BureBaruta

Re: GIMP dxt5 problem

Postby Bassman58 on Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:36 am

Check out the 2014 tutorial section. JaoSming made a number of GIMP tutorials. I don't use GIMP myself. Search on Google for GIMP help. Try youtube also. GIMP has good support on the interwebs.

You might want to post a screen shot of your issues so others can help.
Bassman58

Postby BureBaruta on Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:12 am

Bassman58 wrote:Check out the 2014 tutorial section. JaoSming made a number of GIMP tutorials. I don't use GIMP myself. Search on Google for GIMP help. Try youtube also. GIMP has good support on the interwebs.

You might want to post a screen shot of your issues so others can help.

Did that,thats where i found that i could try to save it in dds converter,i couldnt find anything else related to my problem,its either tutorials on how to use gimp or some things only about dxt compressions,not how i could fix it.
BureBaruta

Postby BureBaruta on Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:20 am

https://imgur.com/a/TOpX4Vo

clean Image in gimp bofore i save it in dxt5 format

https://imgur.com/a/YZIu9vD

after i save it in dxt5
BureBaruta

Postby Pep on Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:58 am

I'd like to help you, but the only thing that I can do is recommended you to try free photoshop trial and download DDS plugin.
Sorry for my bad English.
NBA 2k14 thread
If you like my works, you can support me and motivate:
Pep
Leń patentowany ;)

Postby BureBaruta on Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:01 am

Pep wrote:I'd like to help you, but the only thing that I can do is recommended you to try free photoshop trial and download DDS plugin.

I dont have a credit card for trial photoshop.It looks like it has something to do with rescaling down the "Thunder" logo image and the dds format itself,judging by the posts that i have found about dds troubleshooting.If you could download the first clean image and try to save it in dxt5 format yourself,just to see how it will turn out for you.

It looks like i will have to look the tutorials how to downscale images without quality loss when i have more time.
BureBaruta

Postby Bassman58 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:31 am

I saved your original image and saved it as a DDS file, DXT5 with 8 mipmaps. There was no difference I could see. Your dds file has a little pixelation. I use Paint Shop Pro X2 with the Nvidea plugin. This is the same plugin Photoshop users use. I probably have an older version of the plugin. I think new plugins won't work. With this plugin I can control some settings. From what I've read in the past, GIMP does not have much control. Setting the number of mipmaps was not available. I think your conversion quality is pretty good. I have to zoom in to 500% to see the difference (but my eyes are bad). You may never see this on your monitor during the game. Zooming in during replays may show the loss of quality. Maybe you have a 4K monitor or an 80" screen so you can see the difference. Otherwise wait for more replies or go to a GIMP forum.
Bassman58

Postby BureBaruta on Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:16 am

Bassman58 wrote:. Maybe you have a 4K monitor or an 80" screen so you can see the difference. Otherwise wait for more replies or go to a GIMP forum.

Ahh,i wish,i have a 7 year old computer. :lol:

I still havent tried it in game,i wanted to see if i can resolve the problem first because its now embroiled in my brain,cant think of anything else.Plus the version of the jersey that i made a year ago had the similar pixelation problem ( i made it with old 2.8 version,using 2.10 now) so when i saw this in Gimp i didnt even bother,i will try it later.

And thank you a lot for replying and help.
BureBaruta

Postby BureBaruta on Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:45 am

https://imgur.com/MsYUK9R

It does look much better in game then the old version i made (ignore the bottoms,its from the old version,i still havent made new one),still seeing the pixelation in close but not that terrible like before.I will still try to seek the fix for pixelation so if you got any more advices please let me know.
Last edited by BureBaruta on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
BureBaruta

Postby Pep on Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:49 am

I also save it as a dxt5 8pp Interpolated alpha and it's look ok. I can save this for you, but I'll need an alpha layer to this jersey.
Sorry for my bad English.
NBA 2k14 thread
If you like my works, you can support me and motivate:
Pep
Leń patentowany ;)

Postby BureBaruta on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:14 am

Pep wrote:I also save it as a dxt5 8pp Interpolated alpha and it's look ok. I can save this for you, but I'll need an alpha layer to this jersey.

I havent finished the jersey yet,i still have things to adjust,i just needed to fix the problem before i continue(it was really scratching my brain),only wanted to see how it works for other people.And i only do the grayscale copy of the image and then invert it,darken or lighten some parts,nothing special for now
BureBaruta

Return to NBA 2K14 Modding