My Problem With Old NBA Live Games (Live 98-2001)

Talk about NBA Live 95-2002 here.

My Problem With Old NBA Live Games (Live 98-2001)

Postby DodgeSomrs on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:40 am

Hello, I'm just new here at the NLSC Forum. I need your help here. Whenever I install an old NBA Live game from Live 98 to Live 2001, it works fine in the first try, but when I open them for the second time, they always crash after opening. These are the types of errors I always get:

- Stat Engine Error
- Codebase Error (note: I didn't modify anything)
- Stack Trace Unavailable

These games are always get me the errors:

NBA Live 98 - The game starts new and it works fine on the first try, but as soon as I tried a new game, the game crashed. After that crash, I can't open the game regularly and the error I always get is Codebase Error whenever I open the game.

NBA Live 99 - Just like Live 98, it opened regularly, but the game minimized while the intro plays because I opened Chrome. Since I can't go back to the game and closed it with Task Manager, the game can't be opened anymore on second try. It always crashes before the EA Sports logo appears.

NBA Live 2000 - Just like Live 98 and 99, I managed to play this game, but on later reopens, the game crashes after the EA Sports logo played. The error I always get is Codebase Error. Sometimes, it's Stat Engine Error.

NBA Live 2001 - The game can't be opened at all, even at compability mode. I don't know where I could find a crack version of this.

What's making these crashes worse, is that I can't minimize so I could close the game. Just after the game crashes, the Start menu won't appear, even though I pressed the Windows key multiple times, so the game can minimize and close it by myself. Even reinstalling doesn't work; they still crash even though the files are fresh.

What should I do? (anyway, I downloaded these NBA Live games on MyAbandonware)
DodgeSomrs

Re: My Problem With Old NBA Live Games (Live 98-2001)

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:58 pm

There's some information about running the older games here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=100812

These guides by Matt are also worth checking out. I've found them very useful in getting those games to run on a modern PC:

https://classicgamefixes.wixsite.com/home/nba-live-98
https://classicgamefixes.wixsite.com/home/nba-live-99
https://classicgamefixes.wixsite.com/home/nba-live-2000
https://classicgamefixes.wixsite.com/home/nba-live-2001

The hacks should help you get them up and running. Additionally, CODEBASE errors usually indicate an error/corruption in the database files, including the temporary/cached databases. When you encounter that, try deleting the files in the workingdb folder. The game should refresh them accordingly, and then work properly.

I'd definitely recommend trying the hacks and workarounds in the resources Matt has compiled, as they're generally very effective at getting the games to run in newer versions of Windows. Depending on how tech savvy you are and what resources you have available, you can also set up a virtual machine using VMWare, and run those games on a Windows 98/2000/XP installation.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby DodgeSomrs on Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:16 pm

Thanks, man, but I use Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit.) Do these hacks even work to my PC?
DodgeSomrs

Postby DodgeSomrs on Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:18 pm

And also, where is the database/workingdb folder for older NBA Live games from 97-01? I also play NBA Lives 2003-06 but I know where they are placed: in My Documents.
DodgeSomrs

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:51 am

I believe they can still be helpful for Windows 7 32-bit.

For NBA Live 98-2001, the workingdb folder and other database folders are in the main game folder itself, rather than under your Documents.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby DodgeSomrs on Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:59 pm

Did you mean the [b]dbdata[/b] and origdb folders? Just asking to be sure. Anyway, this is for Live 2000.
DodgeSomrs

Postby DodgeSomrs on Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:05 pm

And also, what is Stat Engine Error? That's the error I always get whenever I open an old NBA Live game.
DodgeSomrs

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:59 pm

Don't delete anything in origdb. Try clearing the contents of dbdata, they should then be refreshed from origdb automatically by the game next time you run it.

CODEBASE errors indicate some kind of corruption with one of the database files. It's often the result of modifying the files ourselves and messing something up, but outside of that, it commonly happens to the temporary/cached databases if the game doesn't close properly, or they're not written to properly, which in newer Windows might happen if you're not running the game with admin privileges or security software interferes because it picks up on files being changed as suspicious. That's why clearing out the aforementioned database folder usually gets things working again, because it gets rid of the corrupted files and forces the game to refresh them from unaltered originals.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby DodgeSomrs on Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:35 am

Andrew wrote:Don't delete anything in origdb. Try clearing the contents of dbdata, they should then be refreshed from origdb automatically by the game next time you run it.

CODEBASE errors indicate some kind of corruption with one of the database files. It's often the result of modifying the files ourselves and messing something up, but outside of that, it commonly happens to the temporary/cached databases if the game doesn't close properly, or they're not written to properly, which in newer Windows might happen if you're not running the game with admin privileges or security software interferes because it picks up on files being changed as suspicious. That's why clearing out the aforementioned database folder usually gets things working again, because it gets rid of the corrupted files and forces the game to refresh them from unaltered originals.

Well, thank you for your advice. Maybe I could try opening older games in Administrator mode, and fix things up.
DodgeSomrs

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:03 am

Running the games with admin privileges, and sometimes with compatibility mode in 32 bit, can definitely help.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby DodgeSomrs on Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:00 am

So, in order to make older NBA Live games work again, I should delete the entire dbdata folder of each game?
DodgeSomrs

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:18 pm

It's the usual fix when there's a CODEBASE error. I'd also recommend the aforementioned compatibility fixes in general.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby DodgeSomrs on Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:17 pm

Okay, I'll give it a shot. I just re-downloaded Live 2000 from MyAbandonware and I wish it works again.
DodgeSomrs

Postby DodgeSomrs on Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:24 pm

Hello, I just installed NBA Live 2000. Since I deleted the game without installing it, I re-installed it, deleted the contents of dbdata and replacing the .exe file with a No-CD one that I downloaded from MyAbandonware, and instead of working properly, an Abort Message pop-up window appears:

Stat Engine Error: 70

I even took a screenshot of it. I was supposed to show it to you, but I don't know how to post images here (which is also my problem in any forums I join, such as GTAForums, where I also work because I play GTA).

How would I fix this? :cry:
Anyway, I asked you what are Stat Engine Errors, but you told me about CODEBASE errors instead. What are Stat Engine Errors, and how should I fix them? :(
DodgeSomrs

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:35 pm

I have absolutely no idea what they are, as it's not something we've encountered before. Discussion of No-CD patches/pirated games is actually strictly against our rules, so it's not an issue we're familiar with here. I'm assuming it's related to that though, as I haven't encountered it while using the disc version.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA Live Vintage