The Knicks Thread....

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: The Knicks Thread....

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:46 pm

That's one of the weird things about Dolan. The Knicks are a cash cow even when they're losing, thus he's seemingly been comfortable with directionless losing as long as the profits keep rolling in. However, as soon as they get competitive again, he's impatient. I mean, I'm sure getting a taste of winning makes him want more sooner; I can understand that. It's just weird, and I'm sure frustrating for Knicks fans, that he's content with years of spiralling and missteps because the team makes money, but those same profits don't help him remain patient when they're on a good path albeit with a ways to go.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:27 am

What's funny as everyone brings up James Dolan's name but us Knicks fans know that he hasn't messed with the front office decisions in time and your right Jeff this office is doing things right so we should just stay on course and see things through.

People said the Suns would never win with Robert Server as owner but they made it to the nba finals and that had to do with the decision making of James Jones and the front office too.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Jeffx on Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:47 pm

mp3 wrote:What's funny as everyone brings up James Dolan's name but us Knicks fans know that he hasn't messed with the front office decisions in time and your right Jeff this office is doing things right so we should just stay on course and see things through.

People said the Suns would never win with Robert Server as owner but they made it to the nba finals and that had to do with the decision making of James Jones and the front office too.

Dolan always blamed Donnie Walsh for losing LeBron James. That's why he got nervous and impatient with Carmelo Anthony, gave up so many assets and screwed up Walsh's long term plan. For all the 'Melo Love' from these young Knicks fans, all the franchise got was one playoff series win....big deal.

It's why I'm still nervous about Dolan pulling the same crap trying to get another big-name FA. As great as Chris Paul is, he'd only be a short-term solution and cost too much money.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:23 pm

Just saw on Twitter that the Knicks opted not to extend the qualifying offer to Frank Ntilikina, allowing him to become an unrestricted free agent. Perhaps rather tellingly, I also read that they haven't signed one of their own draft picks to a second contract since Charlie Ward, who of course was picked in 1994 and re-signed a few years later. Admittedly there are a couple they might have re-signed if they weren't part of deals such as Gallinari being included in the Melo trade all those years ago, but that's a long streak of picks that didn't turn out to be the future after all.

Mind you, the Bulls probably have a similar record in that regard, only they also re-signed a couple of players they probably shouldn't have.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:27 pm

Yeah technically we signed David Lee but it was a sign and trade to GS so doesn't count.

Iam not mad about Frank, he's shown very little in 4 years so why hang onto him?

Iam pretty sure Mitchell Robinson will be resigned tho and iam really happy we brought back Noel too as he is just what this team needs, we also brought back Burke and a personal favourite of mine Derrick Rose but iam not so happy about Evan's deal to replace Reggie Bullock I think we lost some solid 3 and D there.
mp3

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:38 am

Absolutely, it's generally not been a bad call opting not to re-sign them. Of course, it doesn't say much about the pick in the first place. I agree that Robinson seems quite likely to be retained.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:27 pm

This article sums up my feelings about the Knicks free agent moves (so far)...and they STILL haven't addressed their most glaring need - PG. At this point in his career, Derrick Rose is a bench player.

https://nypost.com/2021/08/03/this-cant ... des-right/
Jeffx

Postby mp3 on Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:31 am

So the Knicks basically get Kemba Walker for nothing....

This type of thing doesn't happen very often for Knicks fans.
mp3

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:31 am

Solid move. I see they signed Randle to an extension as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:08 pm

Julius is a legend for signing for a "Dirk/Wade" type deal leaving so much on the table so the team has some flexibility moving forward.
mp3

Postby mp3 on Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:48 pm

I've been watching the knicks summer league and gotta say the front office did a great job drafting McBride and Grimes both great two way players plus the pick up of Simms who I expect to play mainly in the G league due to how raw he is but also look at IQ and Toppin looking ready to step up this season.

The funny thing is that even tho we don't give the media much really to mock us just before the first game of summer league main stream media mocked us for missing out of Leonard who was never in sights and is out for the year... WTF
mp3

Postby mp3 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:52 pm

Not sure why because there is less basketball but iam really enjoyed this shortened preseason mainly because the players have gone harde , I know coaches have had less time to look at players and rotations but the basketball standard has been there and this final preseason game of the Knicks showed real character, I watched the live and The Knicks went down early but seeing the coaching staff really earn there money, rally the players and drag out a epic win at the buzzer really made me remember that saying by a commentator years ago they made into a tv commercial

"If you don't love this then you you don't love nba basketball"
mp3

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:49 am

One could argue that the preseason used to be too long. It was obviously a decent warm-up, but it wasn't that important to teams that went on to be legitimate contenders (or the eventual champions), so too many games just led to boredom and restlessness. You're not going to go all out in too many games that don't count, but a few games to warm up and set the tone? Probably going to be better basketball than exhibitions that most players aren't that bothered by.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:06 am

I think the people the shortened preseason hurts is the unsigned players looking to make a roster, it's no secret that us "old guys" haven't really liked the product that the nba has put out but I've not watched a preseason game that hasn't kept me interested so far granted I swerved the Hornets vs Mavs games after seeing the score but every other game has kept me entertained, as iam watching this Bulls vs Pelicans game I honest love the basketball iam seeing on the floor, DeRozen is the classic mid range player that we all know some guy called Mike made the Chitown faithful his bread and butter and it's nice to see the offensive sets that coach Billy is doing it's not just 3's (as I write this Zach just took a strong drive and finish Dr J style haha) but as I was about to say it's a perfect looking balance

There are some Thunder games on YT too and iam following your fellow countryman Josh Giddy looks A solid player for the future, even the present
mp3

Postby Jeffx on Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:57 am

Knicks are 2-0....let's have a parade!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/n ... story.html

After Orlando again on Sunday, Knicks play Philly and Chicago next week....we'll see what they're made of. Bulls look really good.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:41 pm

The season opener against Boston was very entertaining. Rose and Fournier with the heroics when it counted the most.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:53 am

Andrew wrote:The season opener against Boston was very entertaining. Rose and Fournier with the heroics when it counted the most.

Knicks are 3-1 after smoking Philly...on to Chicago to face the 4-0 Bulls Thursday night. Should be interesting, and when was the last time we said that about a NY/Chicago match-up?
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:01 pm

Definitely been a while!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:57 pm

Clyde not holding back on Zion, lol. Did the Knicks dodge a bullet?

https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/kni ... weight-off
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:36 pm

It does seem like it'd be in his best interests to slim down and work on his conditioning. It's a long season, and carrying extra weight does increase the risk of injury. We've seen too many big guys have recurring foot and leg injuries after their first major one; hopefully Zion doesn't go down that road.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:53 pm

I've honestly never taken to Zion I mean I be lying if I didn't get caught up in the hype train but overall the injury prone overweight player build reminded me of Eddy Curry, not the skill set but just how that's a lot weight jumping around on them legs so it's not going to end well but iam not taking anything away from his talent level but iam happy we ended up with RJ
mp3

Postby Jeffx on Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:38 am

mp3 wrote:I've honestly never taken to Zion I mean I be lying if I didn't get caught up in the hype train but overall the injury prone overweight player build reminded me of Eddy Curry, not the skill set but just how that's a lot weight jumping around on them legs so it's not going to end well but iam not taking anything away from his talent level but iam happy we ended up with RJ

I would have been much happier with Ja. He's one of those 'special' players. If RJ continues to work on his game, he could reach All-Star level. I just feel Ja's ceiling is much higher.

Bucks are in town tonight.
Jeffx

Postby mp3 on Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:17 am

Oh for sure sorry yeah I would of took Ja if Available I was just talking about the big debate everyone has of missing out on Zion and getting RJ which Iam glad of now but yeah Morant is a special player
mp3

Postby Jeffx on Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:48 pm

Knicks have hit a stumbling block - they're 2-5 since the win over Chicago. The starters aren't getting it done. Kemba Walker's taking ownership of it;

https://nypost.com/2021/11/11/knicks-ke ... struggles/
Jeffx

Postby mp3 on Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:38 pm

Yeah I think there are a lot of factors like new players, rotation and even Mitch coming back from injury too
mp3

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball