Do you truly believe the NBA is rigged?

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Is the NBA truly rigged?

Yes
61%
No
39%

Total votes : 18

Do you truly believe the NBA is rigged?

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:08 pm

So, a quick show of hands, and an invitation to launch into a discussion as to why or why not: do you truly believe that the NBA is rigged?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Do you truly believe the NBA is rigged?

Postby koberulz on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:36 pm

Define 'rigged'.

It's not WWE, but it's definitely treated more as an entertainment product than as a legitimate sport, both in terms of the rules implemented and the way they're enforced. Superstar calls, four-step dunks, etc.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:41 pm

Rigged as in the NBA decides who's winning games, who's winning the lottery, etc.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:38 pm

No. Not on a big scale anyway. Individual games can be ultimately decided by the refs (and that's not limited to NBA of course, just ask NLSC's aussie population what they think about AUS-ESP bronze medal game). But determining a series? Nah.

This year people criticized NBA Finals, saying that NBA suspended (upgraded his foul, which automatically resulted in a suspension) Green to give Cavs better chance. Right, except it wasn't his first time doing it. Not anywhere near that.
Then Curry fouled out in Game 6. The calls were correct calls. People who were thinking straight didn't have anything to say about the calls, but the fact that refs are generally inconsistent with calling fouls. For all we know Curry complained too much after his first or second foul and the refs just decided to deny him his superstar treatment.
As a fun fact, Cavs had 1 more foul than Warriors in Game 5 and both teams had same number of fouls in Game 6 (excluding Curry's technical after he threw his mouth piece following his 6th foul).
And Game 7 was close to the final minute with Cavs clearly outrebounding Warriors (which is in my opinion what kept them in it). Furthermore I think there was huge pressure on rather young Warriors star players to not become first team to lose Finals with 3-1 lead.

And this is just one example of series that people called "rigged".

As a player myself, I know damn well to stay on the good side with the refs. I avoid arguing too much, passing dead ball to ref instead of having them walk over to fetch it, generally not being a dick, etc. These things can earn you a benefit of a doubt in some cases.
On the other hand I've seen players arguing every call and pissing off the refs resulting in refs making sure that player gets extra attention.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby mp3 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:12 pm

I don't think the nba is rigged overall, the nba can't put the ball in the basket but do I think the nba would avoid suspending a certain player to drag out a high profiling playoff series so that they get more tv money for say a thrilling game 7? Sure I do.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby zzcoolj21 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:58 am

I don't believe it is currently but I do believe it has been rigged.

phpBB [video]
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby Murat on Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:03 am

Not %100 percent rigged, but sure it is rigged sometimes.

For instance, would you like to watch Hollywood's Lakers (high-profitable) or Sacramento/Portland/San Antonio, whose teams are on smaller markets compared to Los Angeles?

The early 2000's Lakers were so entertaining with celebrities at sidelines, Phil Jackson, 1-2 punch of Shaq-Kobe, role players.

Lakers were always interesting, even at the worst time. They always had colourful squads. I would always like to see Lakers instead of Kings/Spurs/Blazers/bla bla bla, not because I'm a Laker fan, but it always sounds better.

At East, same goes for Knicks/Bulls/Celtics.

When I was younger, I would feel that this was injustice. But today, I feel that sometimes it should be rigged.

Would you like to watch a superstar at Grizzlies (Memphis, a small market), or Warriors (San Francisco, one of the most popular cities in world).

Would you like to watch the Finals at Milwaukee, WA or Miami, FL?

It still sucks that it's rigged, but that's the way it is. Big business. Big success. NBA is a profiting organization.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jackal on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:08 am

I believe the whole Draymond Green bullshit was to get better ratings these last playoffs.
Jackal

Postby NovU on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:57 pm

It's proven mafias were able to influence the outcome of the game or even the series to some degrees. I wouldn't rule out possibility of mega billionaire or bunch of them together having their hands dirty even to this day. For example Pelicants winning #1 after being sold is something everyone could live with while nobody would really dig into about the possibility of shady underground deal. Such things are still very possible despite the watchful eyes because it's very subtle.

It's naive to believe NBA has been entirely free of guilt. Just as every kid eventually learns pro wrestling is fake, imho business side of NBA has enough dirt on themselves to be suspicious.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Patr1ck on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:38 pm

Yes and there all in on it. Countless people working together to entertain us with an exciting sport. Some kind of inquiry should be made.
phpBB [video]

I wouldn't put it past a business entity to have special plans to be more profitable. I wouldn't put it past an individual official who wants to improve the chances he will still have his job years later by being able to help the league make money.

Maybe games aren't "fixed" but people and teams could be tested and possibly manipulated with the hopes that games are more dramatic by the end. We have all seen games turn tides more than once all the time as teams go on runs. However, they can't force a team to win. Like mp3 said, the NBA can't put the ball in the basket.

I don't understand why the Draymond Green situation keeps popping up. He was clearly suspended because of the amount of flagrant fouls he had accumulated, not one particular foul. I know they reviewed and elevated the call. I know LeBron baited him, and he fell for it. Does that mean LeBron fixed the series?
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:58 pm

Funny enough lots of time when people complain about a game being fixed by referees, the fouls and turnovers seem to be very similar for both teams.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Jackal on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:10 pm

Pdub wrote:I don't understand why the Draymond Green situation keeps popping up. He was clearly suspended because of the amount of flagrant fouls he had accumulated, not one particular foul. I know they reviewed and elevated the call. I know LeBron baited him, and he fell for it. Does that mean LeBron fixed the series?

I actually meant he should have been suspended way ago. No way that many crotch shots are "just" flagrant fouls.
Jackal

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:20 am

Jackal wrote:
Pdub wrote:I don't understand why the Draymond Green situation keeps popping up. He was clearly suspended because of the amount of flagrant fouls he had accumulated, not one particular foul. I know they reviewed and elevated the call. I know LeBron baited him, and he fell for it. Does that mean LeBron fixed the series?

I actually meant he should have been suspended way ago. No way that many crotch shots are "just" flagrant fouls.

Agreed.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Axel on Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:12 am

I voted yes. It's rigged to make the NBA as much money as possible.
Axel

Postby Sauru on Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:59 am

i dont know if i would call it rigged as much as heavily influenced. imo you would have to be a special kind of idiot or a complete fanboy to not see it. the nba clearly fucked over the kings in the lakers series. they also handed the finals to the heat against the mavs the first time. this year they clearly didnt suspend green because it probably meant the warriors would have been bounced by the thunder and the nba wanted to cash in on as many game 7's as possible while keeping their golden ticket team in the playoffs. then of course we can talk about how much the league fucked over the phoenix suns in the past.

so yeah there are far too many situations where shit has gone down for me to say the nba is not heavily influencing outcomes
Sauru

Postby Manni Live on Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:43 pm

I dont think every game is rigged but i do think the refs do determine the outcome of games at times. I kinda felt that this season was in favor for the Goldenstate Warriors especially down the stretch. They had alot of close games that went their way most of the time a perfect example is the November game between the Raptors and the Warriors.

Anywho i been searching deeper into the NBA being rigged and it seems it boils down to one bigger conspiracy a deeper meaning then just basketball. A guy on youtube named Zachary Hubbard does alot of videos on world events and sports being scripted just by using Numerology i believe the term is Gematria. The guy has predicted some major games in the NBA,NFL,MLB and the NCAA and is quite some weird stuff on there.
I dont entirely believe in it but its worth the watch for some of his videos, its quite eye opening.

With that being said my take on it is that its really and i mean really hard to rig an NBA game, alot of things have to go right in order for it to work.

For all my patches for NBA 2K16 & NBA 2K14 Visit http://mannipatches.blogspot.ca/

Flickr Page https://www.flickr.com/photos/99620982@N03/

If your willing to support feel free to donate :)

Manni Live
Y'all spinning around like ballers. Seething with jealousy, I am.
Contributor

Postby deihatein on Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:47 am

Yes, fucking NBA rigged the Mavs into losing both 06 and 07 :facepalm2: :facepalm2:
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Sauru on Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:47 pm

deihatein wrote:Yes, fucking NBA rigged the Mavs into losing both 06 and 07 :facepalm2: :facepalm2:

dont get me started on how the nba let wade flop his way to his first ring
Sauru

Postby NovU on Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:07 am

Then Cuban went on to hire private investigators, former FBI, to investigate refs and shit.

Even high profile GM believes NBA is rigged and smells something foul.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Jeffx on Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:44 am

I don't want to say rigged (I agree with Sauru, heavily influenced by the refs), but the 2002 WCF left a bad taste in my mouth.
Jeffx

Postby Patr1ck on Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:17 am

Imagine if the Kings won that series. How different would the western conference look in the next year and after that? Would the Lakers end up breaking up earlier or would they stay together longer to possibly win more? Would the NBA have become a bigger global entity quicker with the success of the diverse Kings players? Would Wade have won a ship without Shaq? Would Reggie Miller or Jason Kidd get a ring? See all the different possibilities that could have happened if one playoff series goes differently?
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:50 pm

i dont see how honest basketball fan can say that the 2002 WCF was not fucked up. this is the perfect example of a series being "fixed". it was obvious that the nba wanted the series to go 7 games. to a much lesser extent we saw something like this happen this year with the warriors and thunder. the 2006 nba finals is another perfect example of the league wanting a series to go longer which eventually resulted in wade winning the championship while on his back most of the series
Sauru

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:23 am

Sauru wrote:i dont see how honest basketball fan can say that the 2002 WCF was not fucked up. this is the perfect example of a series being "fixed". it was obvious that the nba wanted the series to go 7 games. to a much lesser extent we saw something like this happen this year with the warriors and thunder. the 2006 nba finals is another perfect example of the league wanting a series to go longer which eventually resulted in wade winning the championship while on his back most of the series

I watched every game of this series from start to finish. I have never seen a more lopsided series in favor of one team. The Kings were clearly the better team in this series. In one of the game, they were up by like 25 in the first half and were just toying with the Lakers. The Kings should have been NBA champions.

Tim Donoghy mentions this series specifically in his book, and while I don't believe everything this goon says, I do believe him about this series. My best friend/roomie watched this series at the same time, and while it was going on we were talking about how something was wrong, something was up. For those of you who say "Well the fouls ended up close at the end", that's part of the plan. Low impact fouls on the favored team, high impact fouls on the team they want to lose. Not all fouls/violations are created equal.

When I was watching the 05-06 Finals I had a thought or two about some of the calls (Wade was taking SO MANY FT's), but to his credit.. he was taking it to the basket hard.

I don't think the NBA is technically RIGGED.. but think about how much money the NBA makes just by extended a series one game? The NBA is business. Bottom line.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:07 am

Dee4Three wrote:I don't think the NBA is technically RIGGED.. but think about how much money the NBA makes just by extended a series one game? The NBA is business. Bottom line.

this is how i feel. i dont think the nba is rigged to the point where they hand pick the winner each year but its rigged to the point where they make the most money they can make. the warriors this year should not have been in the finals but they let green slide to extend the series and next thing you know the golden boys are back in the finals again the king. its a perfect story. then in the finals they finally suspend green to extend that series.

the nba is all about making money and they will do whatever they can to make as much of it as possible
Sauru

Postby Patr1ck on Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:31 pm

Sauru wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:I don't think the NBA is technically RIGGED.. but think about how much money the NBA makes just by extended a series one game? The NBA is business. Bottom line.

this is how i feel. i dont think the nba is rigged to the point where they hand pick the winner each year but its rigged to the point where they make the most money they can make. the warriors this year should not have been in the finals but they let green slide to extend the series and next thing you know the golden boys are back in the finals again the king. its a perfect story. then in the finals they finally suspend green to extend that series.

the nba is all about making money and they will do whatever they can to make as much of it as possible

What about the psychological effects it has on the players? Wouldn't it seem like NBA are shooting themselves in the foot by making it harder on the better teams? My hypothesis is that the players and teams could be better if it weren't for officials stepping in, and potentially great players has been lost due to star calls and series manipulation affecting them mentally.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball