RIP Fred McLeod

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

RIP Fred McLeod

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:48 am

Only voice I ever knew for the Cavs (other than Joe Tait of course); died unexpectedly of a heart attack Monday night. My jaw hit the floor. 67 years old and was gearing up for the season. 13 year partnership with Austin Carr as the play-by-play man (22 years with the Pistons previously). :( Class act, as everyone on the Cavs telecast crew is (Austin Carr, Jeff Phelps and Campy Russell).

Was reminded of him while watching this video:

phpBB [video]

Total end of an era for the Cavs: LeBron is gone, will probably never win a championship again, the arena isn't even called the Q anymore...
[Hyperize]

Re: RIP Fred McLeod

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:01 pm

Saw that trending the other day. It' probably because my folks are up around that age and I'm hoping to have them around for a while yet, but it still seems too young, especially as he was still active and working. RIP.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: RIP Fred McLeod

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:01 pm

It's truly unfortunate. I really didn't appreciate it the second time LeBron came back. I infamously slept through Game 7 (I'm a labor worker, and that's a late work night). I paid the most attention during the last season when the dysfunction was at its peak and Ty Lue was obsessed with playing Jae Crowder at the 4 so they traded him and eventually would fire Ty.

Like I had to have been paying attention to the title team and watching games here and there, but I can barely remember any of it -- it's very bizarre. I think I had a slight hipster moment when everyone in my house was watching it (even my brother who hates sports) and I was thinking "You guys didn't pay attention during the Christian Eyenga and Semih Erden years!" :lol:

And the circumstance of LeBron coming back to win the title isn't even a once in a lifetime thing, but a once in human existence type of thing.
[Hyperize]

Return to NBA & Basketball