Bulls sign Deng so he can retire a Bull

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Bulls sign Deng so he can retire a Bull

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:46 am

Story.

The Chicago Bulls announced today the signing of Luol Deng. After signing, Deng made known his intent to retire from the NBA.

"We're very fortunate and humbled that Luol has chosen to retire as a Chicago Bull," said President and Chief Operating Officer Michael Reinsdorf. "He was a role model on and off the court during his nine-plus years in Chicago, and he gave everything he had to help us win. I want to thank Luol for not only what he accomplished on the court for the team, but also for the leadership he demonstrated through his philanthropic efforts."

Seems to be more and more common these days, signing to symbolically retire with a team. It's a shame his career petered out the way it did. When I think of Deng, I obviously remember the 2011 run and the way he sacrificed for the team in 2013 with Rose sidelined and serious medical problems of his own. However, I also remember those Baby Bulls teams when he, Gordon, Hinrich, Duhon, and briefly Chandler and Curry, helped the Bulls get back to the Playoffs for the first time. When they traded him it was time to move on, but I was sorry to see him go all the same. A solid career to say the least, and one of the best Bulls of the past 15 years. Glad to see the team making this gesture, and hats off to him.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Bulls sign Deng so he can retire a Bull

Postby Patr1ck on Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:07 am

I think it's cool that knowing he is going to retire, they gave him money anyways. Classy and honorable organization.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bulls sign Deng so he can retire a Bull

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:08 am

Well, on this occasion at least!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA & Basketball