The Last Dance / Why Michael Jordan's scoring prowess still can't be touched

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: The Last Dance / Why Michael Jordan's scoring prowess still can't be touched

Postby mp3 on Wed May 06, 2020 8:17 pm

Lol that's it exactly mate!

Iam on episode two now and have to say it's very very well put together and seeing some of theses players from back in the day plus the unseen footage truly is a gem and joy to watch.

Kind of reminds me of the "Bulls threepeat" vhs tape I bought in the 90's
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Re: The Last Dance / Why Michael Jordan's scoring prowess still can't be touched

Postby mp3 on Mon May 11, 2020 9:36 pm

The level of respect the Knicks are being shown is flattening, reminder to why I became a Knicks fan and of the great battles we had.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby [Q] on Mon May 18, 2020 3:53 pm

I feel like I'm the only person on the planet that hasn't watched this. I dunno, I grew up on Showtime Lakers and the west coast so I didn't necessarily like Jordan. Especially the way the Bulls would beat other teams, I always found it more entertaining to root against Jordan. When I was a kid, I always saw myself as a bit of an underdog so I liked to see him lose

I think a lot of people look at him through rose colored glasses with a bit of nostalgia because he's an asshole and isn't really a likeable guy. He certainly isn't a media darling or charismatic as someone like Magic.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon May 18, 2020 5:44 pm

That's kind of making the argument "your nostalgia is wrong, my nostalgia is right", though. I mean, in what world were the Showtime Lakers underdogs? Since when was Magic Johnson a paragon of virtue? You can talk about other people having rose-tinted glasses, but fair go, you've got some purple and gold blinders on, too. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying MJ couldn't be difficult (to put it diplomatically), nor that he appeals to everyone and everyone should like him. It just strikes me as weird to be anti-Jordan because you're pro-underdog, but at the same time pro-Lakers, who historically have rarely (if ever) been underdogs. I mean, with their dominance over the years, I'm sure there are people who feel about the Lakers and Shaq, Kobe, Magic, and Kareem, as you do about MJ and the Bulls.

It sounds like you've made up your mind about MJ's character a long time ago, which you're entitled to do of course, and so the documentary obviously isn't for you. It is nevertheless one of the best sports documentaries ever produced, and it's commendable that it does cover aspects of MJ's personality that are criticised and not necessarily admirable across the board. Admittedly it's sometimes hard to reconcile that stuff as a fan of his, but at the same time, it's not the whole story of who he is; people's personalities aren't stock pro wrestling faces and heels, after all. I also think it would be naive to suggest that people who are held up as being nicer than MJ are without faults of their own, or are necessarily as nice as they seem. They all benefit from good PR, and time helping us to forget some of the bad stuff.

In any event, I haven't finished it yet, but I've really enjoyed it so far. Not everything is a revelation, but again, it's been a well-produced documentary with tons of great highlights if nothing else.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby debiler on Tue May 19, 2020 1:32 am

Ok, this is gonna be a small spoiler, so I'm gonna spoiler tag a post for the first time in my almost 18 years around here...

THIS is the definition of what I will always love about guys like MJ and Bird:
After the Bulls outlasted a crazy good Pacers team in game 7 in the '98 ECF, Larry Bird, who coached the Pacers back then, met MJ backstage. They shook hands, both smiling, both glad that it's finally over. MJ goes: "Enjoy yourself, dog! You bitch, fuck you."

Awesome, priceless, legendary. I LOVE this series!
Confucius say: "Man go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger."
debiler

Postby [Q] on Tue May 19, 2020 5:06 am

I wasn't saying the Showtime Lakers were underdogs, but I spent the the decade watching teams struggle against the Bulls especially from like 96-98 when I really started watching more. I was a big Sonics and Gary Payton fan, and it really felt at the time that they really didn't stand a chance and the Bulls winning was inevitable. I was a Reggie Miller fan (because I liked to play with him in on Live 95 because his 3 pt and ft ratings were really good lol) so I was rooting for the Pacers against the bulls and it was so crushing to see them get so close and not beat them! I didn't like Utah either so those two Finals were conflicting because I didn't really like either team

But I do appreciate that it's showing more unsavory sides of him and it's not completely ignoring that
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Tue May 19, 2020 6:09 am

So i finish the documentary.
It was fun, but definitly not enough.
It's mostly a reminder to the youngsters that their self-proclaimed stats GOAT greatness isnt as great as MJ's.
But where's the exclusive footage ? I was shocked that even for the 98 season, they use the same sequence (Fat Boy Slim's track in background) from the old DVD.
sticky-fingers

Postby Jeffx on Thu May 21, 2020 11:46 pm

LOL @ the Robert Parrish story. Jordan comes off a classic bully....all rough & tough, until someone stands up to him. He wanted no part of The Chief's smoke.

But I tell you what....if that was Calvin Murphy instead of Jordan, it would have been on. Calvin would take on cats a foot taller than him.

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2020/0 ... ation.html
Jeffx

Postby Brandon_Breyer on Thu May 21, 2020 11:56 pm

I'm trying not to watch The Last Dance too quickly, because when I've finished watching it I will obviously be disappointed that its over.
I've seen the first 6 episodes, and have possession of the next 4 episodes which I'll complete within the next month or so.
When they covered the 1991 Finals, I was surprised they didn't show or even mention the shot MJ made to send Game 3 into overtime, probably the biggest shot of his career at that time.
They also didn't show MJ's game-winner-attempt at the end of Game 1 (but they showed the Sam Perkins 3-pointer), and I thought it was an almost perfect shot, it rattled in-and-out about as good as you'll ever see for a missed shot.
I think they should have shown both those shots, but obviously they were trying to save time and summarize.
Brandon_Breyer

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:50 pm

the documentary is propaganda that would make china and north korea blush
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:40 pm

shadowgrin wrote:the documentary is propaganda that would make china and north korea blush

where are your arguments ?
Btw how many wars China and Korea started the last 50 years ? who needs "blush" ...
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:55 pm

shadowgrin wrote:the documentary is propaganda that would make china and north korea blush

Nah, Chinese propaganda is more of a LeBron thing.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:25 am

Ooooh, sick burn.

"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Previous

Return to NBA & Basketball