NBA Legends Games

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

NBA Legends Games

Postby sevin0seven on Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:12 pm

I recently turned 40, and I happened to find this old game in youtube of the first ever NBA All-Star Legends Games in 1984:

phpBB [video]

boxcore: https://www.basketball-reference.com/al ... gends.html

The game shared is actually a full game! so it was a treat to watch these old timers going at it at the age of 35 and above! Man, Jerry West could still shoot at that age. Pistol Pete was so fun to watch (he was the youngest at age 35). These Legends games of course did not last long (1984 - 1993) due to health reasons. It was replaced by the boring celebrity game. This game made me realized I want to play basketball as long as I can, and always be in shape. Imagine if they bring this back...would love to see Jordan, Pippen, Duncan, Shaq.....Barkley go at it one more time. I'm sure they will show more ego's in that game. :lol:
"Every basketball player doesn't have to learn the exact same move. Imagination and creativity separates you from others. Dare to be different!" - Rod Strickland
sevin0seven

Re: NBA Legends Games

Postby [Q] on Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:03 pm

I think the Big 3 gave us something close to this. It gave us the opportunity to see our favorite players play once again and gave them a competitive outlet.

I hope it comes back next year
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:59 pm

I remember watching a few of those games when I picked up old All-Star Weekend tapes from PonTel. They were kind of fun, but it was clear that a few of them hadn't touched a basketball in years, so they could be a bit messy. They were replaced by the Rookie Game in 1994 and that probably was the right call given the injuries and whatnot, but it would be interesting to see some sort of alumni/Legends game again.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby jwin on Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:08 am

it would be interesting Andrew, but the first memory that came to mind when i read this post was david thompson and norm nixon both going down with injuries.

from an article i found:
ORLANDO -- A return to the past wasn't pleasant Saturday night for former Nuggets forward David Thompson or former Lakers guard Norm Nixon.

Both players went down with leg injuries in the Legends Classic at Orlando Arena and were taken to Florida Hospital South.

Thompson was diagnosed with a ruptured left patella tendon; Nixon was diagnosed with a ruptured quadricep tendon in his right leg.

Both Thompson, 37, and Nixon, 36, had their NBA careers cut short by leg injuries.

Ironically, Thompson and Nixon were among the youngest players competing.
jwin

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:44 am

That is the risk, and why it was a good call for them to opt for the Rookie Game instead. On top of that, sometimes it's better to leave the memories alone.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA & Basketball