The Knicks Thread....

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: The Knicks Thread....

Postby Jeffx on Thu May 21, 2020 11:45 pm

Andrew wrote:Looking at the changes that the Bulls have made recently, it really demonstrates how a complete overhaul in staff and culture is needed before there's a chance at turning things around. As you said, it has to start at the top.

Exactly....name one organization than wins consistently with bad ownership / inept front office...it doesn't happen.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Sat May 23, 2020 1:20 pm

Patrick Ewing has just been diagnosed with COVID-19. Given his recent potshots at his former teammate, it's nice to Charles Oakley drop all of that - momentarily, anyway - and wish him well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Sat May 23, 2020 6:52 pm

Thanks for sharing this Andrew I needed to see this to Oakley was still the player I cheered for all them years!

It's not great news for the Legend but it's not a death sentence either, hopefully he makes a full recovery
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Sat May 30, 2020 1:43 pm

Tom Thibodeau being one of the frontrunners for the Knicks' next head coach seems to be drawing mixed reactions. Personally, I think they could do a lot worse.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Sat May 30, 2020 4:47 pm

Andrew wrote:Tom Thibodeau being one of the frontrunners for the Knicks' next head coach seems to be drawing mixed reactions. Personally, I think they could do a lot worse.

The knock on Thibs (from some Bulls fans) is that he runs his guys into the ground. At least he'll emphasize defense, which this sorry-ass franchise hasn't played since Van Gundy was the coach.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Sat May 30, 2020 10:54 pm

He does have that reputation. Looking back, I'm wondering if the Bulls' reportedly lousy medical staff deserves more of the blame.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Sun May 31, 2020 6:29 am

Andrew wrote:He does have that reputation. Looking back, I'm wondering if the Bulls' reportedly lousy medical staff deserves more of the blame.

Yep, it followed him in Minnesota....this from 2018;

https://www.nba.com/article/2018/01/05/ ... nutes-load

Maybe Thibs old school approach will make a man out Kevin Knox.
Jeffx

Postby [Q] on Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:21 pm

Apparently he is the favorite to get the job at the moment but the Knicks are so bad they just need to cycle through as many as they can until they get to something that works.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:53 pm

It'd be a shame if they waste Thibs like that. Again, there needs to be sweeping changes across the board, like the Bulls are trying to do (finally). I only wish they did that when Thibs was still in Chicago.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:49 am

It's pretty much a done deal I think, He's close with Leon Rose and was a Knicks assistant years ago.

I think they will offer Mike Miller an assistant job out of respect but he may want to test the waters for another HC roll somewhere else.
mp3

Postby Jeffx on Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:17 pm

Just read Thibs is finalizing a five-year deal to be the Knicks coach.

Not really excited or upset over the hire. I'm like, meh, it's the Knicks, wake me when they become relevant again.

Hopefully, he's learned from past mistakes and doesn't run his players into the ground.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:10 pm

That's always the concern with Thibs, but I still think it's a really solid hiring for the Knicks. Hopefully a step in the right direction for them.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:41 pm

Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:06 pm

I think this reply sums it up.

Mark Jackson also reportedly tried to unite the locker room by having them turn on Festus Ezeli after lying about Ezeli being happy they were losing while he was injured (supposedly to unite the rest of the roster), and made it clear that he wouldn't welcome a gay player on his team. Now, Ezeli has disputed those claims, so that may not be true or there may be more to the story, but his other remarks are indeed something he's said.

There are also stories about him not wanting to hire top assistants for fear they might take his job, fostering a divide between the players and the front office, and going back to his playing days, trying to turn the locker room against an ageing John Stockton in his final year when Jackson was his backup in Utah (and past his prime himself, mind you). I'd suggest that at the very least, teams may be concerned that he'll cultivate a toxic atmosphere, or be a potential PR nightmare, and are steering clear of him. If so, he has to take some responsibility for earning that reputation.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:04 am

Jeffx

Postby mp3 on Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:08 am

I actually think getting the 8th pick might be a blessing to the rebuild, hear me out.

If we had of landed a top 3 pick the pressure would of been huge on that pick to turn around the franchise and we all know unless your name is Jordan or Kobe, Shaq etc that wasn't going to happen.

I don't see either Melo, Edwards or Wiseman and star player I really don't. Edwards maybe has the most upside but Wiseman is raw and Melo can't shoot to save his life and he isn't a great defender like his brother.

So I think getting a later pick kind of helps us focus on getting better and not throwing another 19 year old under the bus, through Knicks fans will do that with whoever we draft.

People talk that we need a point guard when we 3 on the roster, Frank needs a chance, DSJ will probably be gone and Payton is a FA but I kind of liked him as a player so I wouldn't mind bringing him back at the right price, if not we might have a couple of them high ranked rookie pg's fall to us but I wouldn't mind drafting Obi Toppin.

He reminds me of PJ Washington of the Hornets who I think would be great playing with Mitchell (Obi) as Randle was allowed to become terrible again in NY.

Hopefully Thibs can sort this mess out.
mp3

Postby Jeffx on Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:23 am

mp3 wrote:People talk that we need a point guard when we 3 on the roster, Frank needs a chance, DSJ will probably be gone and Payton is a FA but I kind of liked him as a player so I wouldn't mind bringing him back at the right price, if not we might have a couple of them high ranked rookie pg's fall to us but I wouldn't mind drafting Obi Toppin.

Nah, forget the French fry....enough is enough, he's not a PG...he's a role player who can come off the bench and play defense. F--- Phil Jackson for selecting him in the first place.

Knicks need a legit, REAL NBA point guard....someone who'll direct the offense, break down the defense, get @ 20points/8 -10 assists per game.

We haven't had a legit PG in NY since Mark Jackson, and before him, Clyde.
Jeffx

Postby mp3 on Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:23 pm

This is true, I still feel like the Knicks will make a move for Chris Paul or at the very least Dennis Shrouder.
mp3

Postby [Q] on Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:59 pm

Knicks should sign Jeremy Lin after a good year in Beijing
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:51 am

I'd be open to this but it wouldn't fix the floor general problem that we have, Frank lacks confidence tho can run an offence, Dennis has confidence but poor shot selection and isn't really a point guard and Jeremy Lin is the same really but I'd like to have him back tho.

I would love the kid from Alabama, Lewis. If only he would fall late round for us.
mp3

Postby Jeffx on Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:46 pm

mp3 wrote:This is true, I still feel like the Knicks will make a move for Chris Paul or at the very least Dennis Shrouder.

Chris Paul would be the typical bonehead Knick move, giving big money to an aging veteran.

This would be a bonehead move too;

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/09/01/ca ... ses-radar/
Jeffx

Postby mp3 on Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:06 pm

I still think Chris Paul has a lot to offer but I see your point.

How do you feel about trading Randle to the Jazz for Mike Conley of even to the jazz for Scary Terry?
mp3

Postby Jeffx on Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:18 am

mp3 wrote:I still think Chris Paul has a lot to offer but I see your point.

How do you feel about trading Randle to the Jazz for Mike Conley of even to the jazz for Scary Terry?

Meh, I guess, as long as it doesn't hurt the cap space.

Bottom line, the Knicks (and the deluded fan base) have to stop with the "begging for a savior to come rescue us" bs. How has that worked out the past 20 years? Knicks have to draft smart, make wise free agent moves and develop a core of young, talented, hungry players. They have to establish a culture of winning and accountability, then the stars will come. See what those young cats in Miami (Herro, Nunn, Robinson, Adebayo) are doing? That's what I'm talking about.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:52 am

There needs to be shrewdness in the moves. It's been the same problem with the Bulls, though you guys have admittedly endured way more heartache with the Knicks' lack of it. Making a big move is a nice thought when it's feasible and the player in question is a bona fide franchise player, but it's far easier to overspend on a second tier star, while also bewilderingly wasting picks on questionable projects and not seeking out overlooked undrafted talent. Shrewdness also means not giving away picks for no reason, or making moves just to make moves, without rhyme or reason (or a backup plan).

As you've mentioned a few times recently, Jeffx, Pat Riley is an example of someone who has that shrewdness and cleverness in his moves, while also being able to make strong pitches to desirable free agents.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:03 pm

Hey I'd love it if the fans, the media etc gave us time but they want instant results or even after excepting a rebuild a year or so is all there willing to except
mp3

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball