The Knicks Thread....

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: The Knicks Thread....

Postby Jeffx on Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:48 pm

Longest winning streak in seven years....no Knick fan saw this coming when the season started....we were all wondering when Randle would get traded for assets, lol;

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 265889002/
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:41 pm

Has to be one of the candidates for MIP.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:30 am

Andrew wrote:Has to be one of the candidates for MIP.

Oh most definitely, and Thibs for Coach of the Year. I have to eat crow about Derrick Rose - he has done yeoman work for this team. Shoot, I don't want him going to Chicago next season - bring him back.

Eight wins in a row (and fourth place in the east), but they have a brutal road schedule after the homestand.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/juli ... ince-2014/
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:01 am

I'm obviously far more keen to see a reunion with the Bulls, but it's probably unlikely. He seems to have revitalised his career as a super sub, and good on him for that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:51 pm

Nine in a row....good to see Toppin finally have a good game. Randle....what more can you say? But no time to rest - a tough Phoenix team tomorrow night.

After years of negativity, finally, some positivity in this Knicks thread.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/bask ... story.html
Jeffx

Postby mp3 on Wed May 12, 2021 3:40 pm

I've said it before and il sat it again the league is much more fun when the Knicks, Bulls, Lakers and Celtics are winning.

Even seeing the Hawks and Suns doing well has a late 90's feel to it
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Wed May 12, 2021 3:40 pm

Tough loss against the Lakers, but great to see Rose continue to be productive.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Wed May 12, 2021 3:46 pm

Rose has always been a favourite of mine, I don't care what team be plays for I just love watching him play and he's like Larry Johnson after the back injury he just found ways to improve and change his game which is amazing and a testament to how skilled he is.

I haven't watched last night's game yet with starting a new job this week but even tho we lost it goes down to the wire so will be fun at least to watch the battle later
mp3

Postby Andrew on Wed May 12, 2021 8:40 pm

It was kind of an old school game, too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Thu May 13, 2021 3:28 am

just putting it on now to watch mate (y)
mp3

Postby Jeffx on Mon May 17, 2021 11:49 pm

After 20 years of mostly garbage basketball, Knick fans finally have a team to be proud of....back in the playoffs since 2013 and grabbing the 4th seed in the East. Thanks Coach Thibs & Julius Randle!

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/new- ... -playoffs/
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Tue May 18, 2021 1:37 pm

A huge improvement, and a seemingly bright future. After hanging in there for 20 years and suffering all of Dolan's tomfoolery, Knicks fans definitely deserve to enjoy this.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Wed May 19, 2021 6:01 am

I'm hoping Thibs doesn't start Elfrid Payton. He brings absolutely nothing to the table, and you can't afford slow starts in playoff games.
Jeffx

Postby Jeffx on Sun May 30, 2021 12:08 pm

Tomorrow's Game 4 is huge...for me, it's a must-win. If the Hawks tie the series, I'd be very nervous going into Game 5.
Jeffx

Postby Murat on Mon May 31, 2021 10:19 pm

The Hawks is obliterating the Knicks. Back then I thought Trae would not be better than Doncic, but he would be very close (something like MJ-Olajuwon, I am not comparing MJ to Luka, but comparing the difference between Luka and Trae). This series proved me right. Bogdan Bogdanovic has playoff experience from Euroleague.

and Julius Randle is very well defended by Hawks such that a lot of people are questioning his Regular Season performance. He deserved the MIP award and All-Star appearance. It's just Hawks defense performing well. I also believe absence of Mitchell Robinson is a minus.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jeffx on Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:18 am

Murat wrote:The Hawks is obliterating the Knicks. Back then I thought Trae would not be better than Doncic, but he would be very close (something like MJ-Olajuwon, I am not comparing MJ to Luka, but comparing the difference between Luka and Trae). This series proved me right. Bogdan Bogdanovic has playoff experience from Euroleague.

and Julius Randle is very well defended by Hawks such that a lot of people are questioning his Regular Season performance. He deserved the MIP award and All-Star appearance. It's just Hawks defense performing well. I also believe absence of Mitchell Robinson is a minus.

As we all know, in the playoffs, strengths & weaknesses are magnified. We're seeing that with the Knicks. They have a lack of talent, especially at the PG position. Randle had a wonderful season, but he's really a #2 option. ATL has cats who can get buckets, and they've done a good job of making things tough for Julius. NY needs two more stars (a PG and another wing) and improvement from the role players. Rose & Wesley know what they have to do.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:03 pm

Just as it's important not to oversell Randle's abilities based on his breakout performance during the regular season, it's important not to undersell his abilities due to this series. He's a legitimate talent, but he may have a ways to go, or maybe he is destined to be in the proverbial Robin to someone else's Batman. When we talk about the emergence of star players, there are usually stages where they'd adding more tools or sharpening their basketball mind. A player may not advance past a certain point and remain a star rather than a superstar, but sometimes it is one step at a time, and even if it isn't, it doesn't mean they're not fine players in their own right.

Only the future knows what Randle will ultimately turn out to be. In the short term, I'd say there's still a lot of promise with him, and he's already showed he can ball. And even if he is the #2 guy, he's still quite valuable. The Knicks have already fared better than many predicted this season, and it needn't be a once-off.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:39 am

I agree with you about Randle being a Robin/#2 guy. There's nothing wrong with that...hell, it worked for Scottie Pippen, didn't it?

The front office has to do its job and get him a Batman.
Jeffx

Postby Jeffx on Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:43 am

Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:22 pm

Ten years after his first Coach of the Year award. Well-deserved then, well-deserved now.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:43 am

Knicks Wish List for 2021-2022;

1) Top flight point guard
2) A superstar wing to pair with Randle
3) The young cats (RJ, Mitch, IQ) improving their games over the summer

Knicks zero in on James Bouknight at NBA draft combine;

https://nypost.com/2021/06/24/knicks-ze ... ssion=true
Jeffx

Postby mp3 on Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:43 pm

Ok so we sucked in the playoffs but we had a great year, Randle getting MIP and Thibs coy were the icing on the cake.
mp3

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:20 am

It's a big improvement. Still work to be done, but a major leap forward from what was expected. No harm in overachieving this year if the progress continues.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:18 pm

That's right mate, we did overachieve this season, no one expected the Knicks to make the playoffs or if we did it would be sneaking in with the 8th seed but like we saw with the Hawks after the coaching change that a good coach or shall I say the right coach for the right situation can make all the difference.

As you said mate we have a lot of work to do and I just hope we don't go back to our old ways and trade our future for Sexton/Dame/CP3 etc
mp3

Postby Jeffx on Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:13 pm

mp3 wrote:That's right mate, we did overachieve this season, no one expected the Knicks to make the playoffs or if we did it would be sneaking in with the 8th seed but like we saw with the Hawks after the coaching change that a good coach or shall I say the right coach for the right situation can make all the difference.

As you said mate we have a lot of work to do and I just hope we don't go back to our old ways and trade our future for Sexton/Dame/CP3 etc

I feel this new group (Rose, Wes & Thibs) "gets it", and will continue to think long term.

The concern is Dolan getting impatient and blowing things up, like he did with Donnie Walsh (who had the frachise on the right track).
Jeffx

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball