Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby air gordon on Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:00 am

ah well. maybe the next coming or not. just seems like another easy way to pile on Earvin. its other moves and the brow non trade... and now the 'reports' he doesn't want to put in the time that did him in.

even fatty winhurst was crying the lakers didn't claim rodney mcgruder. lmao who cares about that dude

50+ points from Crawford, dirk and wade's last home game.. yet it's the lakers still grabbing the headlines. wow
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:24 am

The funny thing is that when Magic was hired, a lot of Lakers fans were talking about how he was going to make moves that were as dazzling as his passes. In his defense, he did bring in LeBron James, though it could be argued that even that hasn't been as good a move as you'd normally expect of acquiring a generational talent.

In hindsight, Magic's tenure as an analyst foreshadowed his shortcomings as an executive. I remember he'd all too often exclaim that the Lakers would win "because they're the Lakers!", and once said that Andrew Bogut wasn't the type of player who could provide the Warriors with shot blocking...the season after he led the league in that category. It makes you wonder how much attention he really paid to the league, and whether moves like acquiring Beasley and Rondo came down to "He was a second overall pick!" and "He started for a championship team!".
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Iirc the reason for trading Zubac was oh we wouldn't be able to afford him. If that's the case then you just let him go like you did Randle
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:42 am

so zubac was UFA?

its interesting to hear in several interviews the lakers management is run like its still the 80's and 90's. they have drafted relatively well. the jury is still out on ball & ingram though
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:57 am

So...Walton is out, Tyronn Lue is rumoured to be his replacement, and the Lakers apparently had to intervene to stop Lonzo getting an unauthorised surgery with the threat of voiding his contract.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:15 am

wow. dare i say this sounds like bulls/knicks like organization behavior :cry:
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:17 am

If you can't win, fail spectacularly in a way that gets people talking, I guess. Three biggest markets in the NBA and US as a whole, so they make money regardless.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:13 pm

New Kings coach Luke Walton being sued for sexual assault by a reporter.
Incident happened when he was still an assistant with the Warriors.
Lakers official statement said they were unaware of it before and during being coach of the team.

Me thinks his firing had more to do with the Lakers eventually finding out about it rather than reorganization after Magic quit. Better to fire him before it got exposed than to deal with the mess.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Jeffx on Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:16 am

air gordon wrote:wow. dare i say this sounds like bulls/knicks like organization behavior :cry:

Sounds like an episode of "The Office", lol;

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/magic-jo ... erformance
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:29 pm

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:30 pm

“I want to go back to having fun,” Johnson said, fighting off tears. “I want to go back to being who I was before taking on this job. We’re halfway there with LeBron coming (last summer). I think this summer, with that other star coming in, whoever is going to bring him in, I think this team is really going to be in position to contend for a championship with the growth of the young players.

Hilarious coming from the guy that wanted to trade those young players.

Lakers are a mess but Magic contributed his share to that too.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:33 pm

The bit about tampering was pretty funny as well. I mean, keep walking the line, the NBA's going to tell you to knock it off.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:37 pm

Magic just tweeted something about the truth coming out soon. This guy just can't stop talking his way into drama.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Andrew on Thu May 09, 2019 1:44 pm

Seems the deal with Tyronn Lue fell apart. On to the next coaching candidate.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Thu May 09, 2019 1:47 pm

If this is Kidd.....
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Andrew on Thu May 09, 2019 1:48 pm

That's the name that's trending. Whether it's speculation, wishful thinking, or a likelihood, remains to be seen.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu May 09, 2019 1:49 pm

Andrew wrote:Seems the deal with Tyronn Lue fell apart. On to the next coaching candidate.

Lionel Hollins would be a good fit for the young guys on the club, but not sure it would be right for LeBron. Hollins is tough, not a pushover by any stretch.

They didn't want to sign Lue for more than 3 years because they would only be signing him for LeBron. LeBron will be 37 or 38 in 3 years, they want to be done with Lue at that point. I also heard they were looking at Kidd as the assistant, and Lue didn't want that.

My prediction is that they end up possibly hiring Kidd as the head coach. But, who knows.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu May 09, 2019 2:02 pm

It'd certainly fit the bill of a high profile coach. I don't think Kidd would be keen on taking direction from LeBron, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Thu May 09, 2019 11:36 pm

what are the lakers doing? Lue was rumored to bring on Thibs as his defense coach. that would have been great
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Sun May 12, 2019 1:11 pm

So, Frank Vogel is in, with Jason Kidd as his top assistant. How long before Vogel is ousted and Kidd takes over?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun May 12, 2019 5:14 pm

It's weird, obviously Lue's previous connection with Lebron plus being a former Laker made it seem like the perfect fit. the Lakers seemed hell bent on bringing Kidd in to work with the young talent because of his association with Giannis (who knows how much of giannis's greatness can be attributed to Kidd), But if they wanted him so bad, they could have just hired him as a head coach right? That seemed to have been the sticking point for Lue, who wanted his own guys and didn't want to have to hire Kidd & Vogel
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Tue May 14, 2019 12:28 am

[Q] wrote:It's weird, obviously Lue's previous connection with Lebron plus being a former Laker made it seem like the perfect fit. the Lakers seemed hell bent on bringing Kidd in to work with the young talent because of his association with Giannis (who knows how much of giannis's greatness can be attributed to Kidd), But if they wanted him so bad, they could have just hired him as a head coach right? That seemed to have been the sticking point for Lue, who wanted his own guys and didn't want to have to hire Kidd & Vogel

kidd's rep as a coach took a big hit in milwaukee. a bit of a head scratcher why he was a mandatory addition to the staff. vogel had a good run in indiana but orlando getting rid of him and then making the playoffs....
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Jeffx on Tue May 14, 2019 8:05 am

I never though I'd see the day when the storied Lakers are more of a dysfunctional HOT MESS than my Knicks......what is this world coming to?
Jeffx

Postby [Q] on Tue May 14, 2019 2:40 pm

I think Vogel is a good pick, based on their options but yes it was disturbing how Orlando is good now that he's gone. Plus he was handed a great Indiana team.

They needed a fresh start with all the drama this year so bringing in a LeBron cronie may not have helped in the long run
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Wed May 15, 2019 12:49 am

always the half glass full approach, Q. reminds me of see red fred from bulls nation. someone's gotta do it

isn't it a conflict of interest that phil jackson, who is still cashing checks from NYK, allegedly recommended Vogel to his gf Buss?
Jump.
air gordon

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball