1992 NBA Dream Team Documentary

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

1992 NBA Dream Team Documentary

Postby sevin0seven on Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:53 am

for anyone that may have missed it (or not aware), here it is in full length:

phpBB [video]

great documentary from start to finished. :)

they even touch up on Isiah Thomas not making the Dream team, the Select team, etc.. A must watch!

the best team ever!
"Every basketball player doesn't have to learn the exact same move. Imagination and creativity separates you from others. Dare to be different!" - Rod Strickland
sevin0seven

Re: 1992 NBA Dream Team Documentary

Postby benji on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:45 am

Best part was when Stockton got off the bus.

Also,
benji

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:04 pm

Awesome, was hoping it'd be uploaded in due course. Many thanks. (Y)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:45 am

"The Dream Team..."
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by National Basketball Association.
Sorry about that.

HA.

Quick download this one before it gets taken down again even though this one has an ugly watermark.
phpBB [video]

Kobe would wreck this team
SweetSpot909

FACT.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby sevin0seven on Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:22 am

it looks like both videos are now taken down by the NBA.. *anger fist*

i hope they release it on DVD/Blue Ray along with all the 1992 pre/games. plus a full footage of the practice and against the US select team. that would own.
"Every basketball player doesn't have to learn the exact same move. Imagination and creativity separates you from others. Dare to be different!" - Rod Strickland
sevin0seven

Postby Sauru on Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:59 am

man i look back at this team and wonder wtf did they feel the need to include christian laettner. its pissing me off all over again :D
Sauru

Postby Mavs4Life on Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:02 pm

Lol there swatting the videos down like flies, got to see it when it 1st aired though, loved it, the ending was great. The doc made it seem like they wanted to include one college guy. I wonder who would've noticed if Laettner got off the bus? :lol:
Mavs4Life

Postby Sauru on Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:03 pm

they picked him over shaq cause duke won that year right? even though everyone knew shaq was better.
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:17 pm

sevin0seven wrote:i hope they release it on DVD/Blue Ray along with all the 1992 pre/games. plus a full footage of the practice and against the US select team. that would own.

That'd be a quality release. (Y)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Martti. on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:52 am

Downloading it right now, can't wait to see it. Greatest team assembled in team sports ever for sure.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:43 am

Downloaded it last night but haven't watched it yet. Here's one that's still up as of this post:

phpBB [video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1hVVjMhuM8

Freemake will get the job done, in case anyone's looking for a program to download it. (Y)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Nick on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:34 pm

Sauru wrote:they picked him over shaq cause duke won that year right? even though everyone knew shaq was better.

Really? Wow. Imagine that team with Shaq instead of Laettner. Ridiculous.
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby benji on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:44 pm

IIRC, the three finalists for the college player slot were Laettner, Shaq and Harold Miner.
benji

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:50 pm

benji wrote:Laettner, Shaq and Harold Miner.

Wow. Laettner at least went on to have a respectable NBA career.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Nick on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:04 pm

Off-topic, but... i bumped into a fella wearing a Harold Miner jersey the other day. Good to meet an Australian who knows as much trivial shit about the NBA as i do. It's pretty rare. With that said, not the best way to rep the Heat.
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:44 pm

Still on the subject of Harold Miner, I recall reading that despite only playing four years in the league, he's still living well and hasn't blown all his money. A lesson for the Antoine Walkers of the world.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Nick on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:12 am

I guess he never really had that sense of security to be able to get his splurge on, unlike some of the broke NBA alumni who did get their big pay day.
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby benji on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:21 am

Here's a couple of articles from the last couple years regarding where he got off to, he willingly exiled himself into seclusion because of all the Baby Jordan stuff:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... aab-268162
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar/07 ... e-20110308
benji

Postby Martti. on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:02 am

Pretty funny as Chuck was surrounded by crowds everywhere he went while Stockton could walk the streets of Barcelona freely, even Americans didn't know who he was. :D
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:32 am

Nick wrote:I guess he never really had that sense of security to be able to get his splurge on, unlike some of the broke NBA alumni who did get their big pay day.

I suppose, though his salary and endorsement deal was reasonably significant in its day. He could probably offer some good advice to the young players of today.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:51 am

Much as I hate Isiah the executive, I always respected his game(I'll never forget his early 80s playoff duel against Bernard King). It was a disgrace he wasn't on the Dream Team, but it was either him or Jordan. I'm sure Larry Legend didn't want him either after those blood feuds with Detroit.

I was ticked about Laettner too, but Shaq Fu got the last laugh - four rings and a spot in the HOF.
Jeffx

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:52 am

"A lot of people don't understand why I stopped playing was because I had two knee surgeries and I had a degenerative joint in my knee, so it was just too much wear and tear, and I ended up with very little cartilage in my knee," Miner said.

Huh, if Miner continued playing then he would have ended up like Brandon Roy.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Stress Fracture on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:53 pm

Didn't know that C-Webb, Grant Hill and Penny Hardaway were in the USA Select team that time.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:05 am

phpBB [video]

Never seen that before. Makes me want to see the entire uncut documentary.
WARNING: fluctuating sound so there maybe surprise ear rape.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:25 pm

Piece from GQ.
An Oral History of the Dream Team

Some bits:

Chuck Daly LIKE A BOSS.
Mike Krzyzewski (Team USA assistant coach): The first meeting as a coaching staff, Chuck says to P.J. and I, "Both of you guys have got to learn one thing." So we've got our notebooks, and we're ready to write this down. And he says, "Both of you have to learn to ignore." We said, "What do you mean?" "You college guys—you're looking for every little thing, and you make big things out of it. We're not going to be sticklers. These guys are men. If there's something that's big, we'll take care of it."

Nathaniel Butler (official NBA photographer): We were sitting on the baseline. Magic is backing a guy down, and the guy on defense is yelling at his bench, "Now! Now!" And on the bench, one guy's pulling a camera out of his sock and taking a photo of his teammate.

Kim Bohuny (NBA manager of international events): We had a dinner with Prince Rainier and Prince Albert. There's very strict protocol. You know, you can't eat until Prince Rainier eats—things like that. We were reviewing it with the team beforehand, and I think it shocked some of our guys.

Miller: They said if the prince puts his fork down and stops eating, you all better stop eating. And Charles said, "Well, I hope he stops when I'm done eating my meal, because I'm eating my meal."

lol owned.
Hubbard: There was one moment where Krzyzewski claps his hands and says, "Okay, plenty of time." And Michael is at the other end of the court, and he shouts out: "Fuck that! We're going to win this game. Fuck that." You gotta figure Coach K never heard that at a Duke practice.

Magic spewing the truth.
Wilkens: Our last scrimmage, Magic's team was dominating Michael's team. And the guys were teasing Michael, because he was playing golf every morning. Well, that did it. The whole thing turned around.

Thorn: He got upset, so he started to score every time down the floor. One time he drove, and the refs called, like, a real tick-tack foul. So Magic booted the ball up to the ceiling: "This is ridiculous! Just like the NBA! He gets every call!"

Hubbard: Magic was saying, "This must be what it's like playing in Chicago Stadium," because Michael was getting the calls. And Michael said, "Well, this is the '90s, not the '80s."

lol Bird.
McIntyre: I had about eighty basketballs in my room in Barcelona and had to get the players to sign them all. Bird was the last guy, and he says, "What's the quickest anyone's done it?" I said, "Anywhere from eight minutes to twenty." And Bird said, "I'm going to be the fastest. Time me." So he signs them, and he throws me the last one: "Okay, what is it?" "Whoa, four and a half minutes!" And he goes, "Yes!" Competitive right to the end.

Psycho.
Marsalis: I saw a lot of the guys around the hotel. I saw Jordan sitting watching Angola on tape, just staring, looking for weaknesses. I said, "I don't even want to bother you, but why are you watching this game?" And he said, "I always take my opponent seriously. I never underestimate anyone." It wasn't lost on me that he was the only guy watching the game.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball