NLSC Podcast: 25th Anniversary of NBA Live

Talk about our 25th Anniversary of NBA Live content here. 20th Anniversary content is also archived.

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:41 am

In a two-part episode of the NLSC Podcast, Dee4Three and I celebrate the 25th Anniversary of NBA Live with a deep dive discussion of the history of the series, including impressions, trivia, and many personal recollections. Part 1 is out now, while Part 2 will be released on December 1st, 2019.

Part 1: NBA Live 95 to NBA Live 06

To mark the 25th Anniversary of NBA Live, we're taking a look back at the history of the series with retrospectives and other fun content. We're extending those deep dive retrospectives to the NLSC Podcast, as we start at the beginning with the precursor to the NBA Live series: Lakers vs. Celtics. From there, we move on to the game that started it all - NBA Live 95 - and go through the series year by year, discussing improvements to gameplay, debuting features, modding, and the overall evolution of the series. Along the way, we share some personal anecdotes of our time with the earlier titles, and compare them to the other releases they were competing with. We also discuss how and why the quality of the early NBA Live games is too often forgotten. Part 1 ends with NBA Live 06, a significant turning point for the series that it's still feeling the effects of today.

Tune in here!

Part 2: NBA Live 07 to Present

We continue our conversation with a look back at NBA Live 07, a strong candidate for the worst game in the series. As we proceed to break down each game year by year, we reflect on the downfall of NBA Live, and the mistakes that have led to its continued struggles. We discuss what could have been, from the cut retro teams in NBA Live 08 and the full season version of Be a Pro in NBA Live 09 on PS2, to the disastrous change of direction with NBA Elite 11 and cancellation of NBA Live 13. The importance and selection criteria for cover players also comes up, and we reveal the NBA Live 13 cover player that was never officially announced. That brings us to the current generation as we recap the series' ups and downs since returning with NBA Live 14, and how it's looking as of NBA Live 19. Once again, we touch on what we want to see in NBA Live 21 and beyond. We wrap up with our fondest memories of NBA Live, our favourite games in the series, and thoughts on what it's meant to us these past 25 years.

Tune in here!

You can also find the NLSC Podcast on Apple Podcasts and Spotify.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast: 25th Anniversary of NBA Live

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:40 pm

listened the first half hour, can hear your passion about those old games (Y)
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:35 pm

Thanks for checking it out!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:39 pm

Waiting for part 2 ;)
This (social network) generation is mostly lame but i guess it always like that. Guess i'm an old head too.
I remember playing Lakers vs Celtics with the strange EA cartridge on my Mega Drive with my best friend.
Good times
i wasnt yet a real NBA fan, so i didnt care at all about rosters accuracy. NBA in France was on Canal+ (some kind of pay per view), so i watched only few games on VHS we shared. My biggest memory is the double nickel game.
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:12 pm

Not long now, Part 2 will be out this Sunday. :)

I guess every generation feels like that about the younger generation to some extent.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:55 pm

Part 2 is out now. Check out the first post for the link!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to 25th Anniversary of NBA Live