NBA Live 10 Retrospective

Talk about our 25th Anniversary of NBA Live content here. 20th Anniversary content is also archived.

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:00 pm

After NBA Live 09, EA Sports pulled the plug on further PlayStation 2 releases for the series. Given the state of NBA Live 09 on PS2, it was the right call. It allowed EA Sports to focus on the current generation, though there was a PlayStation Portable and iOS version. Did the decision pay off? Well, NBA Live 10 is often considered to be the last great (or at least, really good) NBA Live release, so their efforts weren't for nothing. At the same time, it didn't recapture the lead in sales from NBA 2K, leading to a disastrous decision the following year with NBA Elite 11. Before we get to that though, let's take a look back at NBA Live 10, and how well it holds up.

At long last, it's a retrospective of NBA Live 10! Things get a little wistful after this one, but for now, I hope you enjoy the look back at the last favourably received game in the series.

Check it out here!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NBA Live 10 Retrospective

Postby [Q] on Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:58 am

I've said a lot about NBA Live 10, a lot of good things, but I think what you reminded me about it was that it had a lot of great new modes to play and unfortunately at the time I didn't even play them or got into them too late in the season to really enjoy it. I think modes like the Quick Pick play (essentially like a schoolyard pick), OTP, and Live run (with NBA players) should all be regular game modes in today's online-heavy titles. Unfortunately too much emphasis has been put on created players and career modes so that probably won't happen.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Re: NBA Live 10 Retrospective

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:26 pm

I definitely agree. I believe there's room for both, but a lot of younger gamers might turn up their noses at using real NBA players in those modes.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to 25th Anniversary of NBA Live