NBA Live 18 Retrospective

Talk about our 25th Anniversary of NBA Live content here. 20th Anniversary content is also archived.

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:34 pm

We're almost at the end of our retrospectives, with just two games left to cover. Before we begin, which do you prefer: the NBA, or streetball? NBA Live 18 aimed to give us the best of both worlds, in the form of The League and The Streets. Even the cover emphasised the duality of the game, with two pictures of James Harden: one in his Houston Rockets uniform, the other in a plain singlet and shorts. The game wasn't a disaster, nor was it a complete departure from previous titles in the series. It was clear that NBA Live was headed in a new direction though, and not everyone was happy about that; especially long-time fans of the series.

What happens when you focus on your career mode, in particular the streetball elements, rather than the NBA experience? NBA Live 18 answered that question. Join me in taking a look back!

Check it out here!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NBA Live 18 Retrospective

Postby [Q] on Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:59 pm

I actually had a lot of fun playing 18. The Ultimate Team set up was great, and I was definitely tuning in every week to see which legends would be released and try to pull one that I wanted.

The streets mode was a nice change from having to grind in a subpar career mode in the league but their franchise/career mode was definitely what was holding the game back.

Leveling up characters was not as much of a chore as 2k and I actually got 2 characters to 99 so it was nice to be able to switch between them for Live events and online gameplay
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Re: NBA Live 18 Retrospective

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:42 pm

Agreed on all counts. I'd have appreciated The Streets more if the NBA side of things had been more robust.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to 25th Anniversary of NBA Live