WWE 2K

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: WWE 2K

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:46 pm

Becky Lynch and Roman Reigns are on the cover of WWE 2K20.

phpBB [video]

Some key features have also been announced:

- Women's Evolution Showcase
- Male and Female MyCAREER
- Mixed Match Challenge
- Streamlined controls
- WWE 2K20 Originals DLC

Universe mode and 2K Towers also return from last year.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:40 pm

Becky Lynch makes sense. Would have been cool to have her on a solo cover, but can't say there have been very many women on covers of sports titles.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:46 pm

It's a first for WWE 2K at least. Chyna (who will be in the game) appeared along with other wrestlers on the covers of older titles.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:06 am

Apparently the new game was so broken that Sony was issuing refunds to customers
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:59 pm

I've always found it baffling when people say the graphics look like from the PS2 era, but man does it look like PS2 graphics now.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:20 pm

There's some hyperbole there, but there's definitely a downgrade. The glitches are pretty bad as well.

I did pick up the game as I had a gift card, and I figured I would at some point because of my collector's mentality. It's OK, it's not too different from WWE 2K19 so it has some of the same gameplay flaws. I'm yet to experience any of the really bad glitches I've seen. I actually managed to win a match only using one finisher, so that was nice. I hate how they've made certain wrestlers pre-order/DLC exclusive, to say nothing of not being able to change attributes unless you buy the Accelerator DLC.

Stuff like that was already a bad practice in previous years, but considering how sloppy the game is this year, it's even an even worse look for them. Knowing how rough it was going to be, they should've gone for some goodwill with the content. I guess they hoped they'd secure sales with those pre-order bonuses and avoid taking a hit in sales from bad reviews, but I think this is going to be more costly in the long run. It certainly should be. From what I've read, 2K initiated the split because they wanted to do things a certain way - microtransactions would be my guess - and now they've paid the price. Of course, it means that we miss out on a better game, too.

Anyway, hopefully some patches can improve the experience, but in the meantime, 2K deserves to take some knocks for the situation.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:33 am

This game is getting absolutely eviscerated in reviews. Phew.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:00 pm

Cathy Kelley tweeted a video of Dakota Kai duck-walking in reference to the famous WWE 2K20 glitch involving in-game Kai and Ronda Rousey. :lol:
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:37 am

phpBB [video]

Oh man, what have they done to Peyton Royce in MyCAREER? It doesn't help that she never blinks, but that movement is some PS2-era stuff. I normally loathe those comparisons because it's somewhat hyperbolic, but it's got that exaggerated movement to emphasise speech animations that's very characteristic of early 3D titles, and even some games a couple of generations ago.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:48 am

Yeah, back then I've been saying that it doesn't look like PS2 graphics at all. But this is just a very obvious graphical downgrade.

What's with Peyton's eyelashes? Are those snow? Why doesn't she blink?!
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:03 am

Alien possession. That's what I'm going with. The line about the brass kangaroo is good, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:59 am

Yowie Wowie: Due To A Y2K-Like Bug, WWE 2K20 Is Almost Unplayable In 2020

WWE 2K20 is having a rough New Year’s Day. According to multiple reports from Reddit, Twitter and Youtube, many people are unable to play the game now that it’s 2020. Instead of working, the game just crashes when selecting most game modes, including online and career.

Yes, if these reports are accurate, it sounds like WWE 2K20 is suffering from a Y2k style bug. It seems that the game won’t work properly if it detects the year 2020. Some folks are calling this bug Y2K20. Over on the WWE Games subreddit, players are sharing stories of how their game stopped working after midnight when parts of the US started entering the new year. Someone has even released a short video showcasing the current state of the game in this new year.

I haven't fired up the game yet this year, but that's bad. WWE 2K20 has been alright - playable, at least - following the patches, but it's still quite rough. The worst part of it all is that a lot of content was stripped out to be pre-order bonuses and paid DLC, and given the roughness of the game, that does nothing for goodwill. If ever there was a time to ease up on that approach and earn some goodwill by at least giving gamers that content with the base game, it was a year that they knew was going to be rough because of the split with Yuke's. Unfortunately for the developers, who might have considered doing just that, 2K was never going to be on board with that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby EMan on Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:57 am

Welp, looks like no WWE 2K21.

http://www.sportsgamersonline.com/rumor ... -new-game/

There will be a game, but it won't be part of that series, more of a non-simulation, more arcadey feel and Visual Concepts won't be let near it. This is all Take Two's fault really since they had their little childish spat with Yuke's.
EMan

Postby [Q] on Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:16 am

Looks like 2k is tapping Saber to make their version of Playgrounds for WWE

I would imagine that it's easier to do an arcade style game because it doesn't need be 100% accurate

phpBB [video]
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:48 am

Honestly, I don't think I'll be into it. I remember playing the demo of All-Stars back in the day and not really liking it. I've also been underwhelmed by both NBA Playgrounds games to date.

With that being said, I'm glad Visual Concepts is taking the extra time to rebuild the mainline WWE 2K games. 2K20 was below par even after patches, and the game needs a lot of work. I think it's also going to have to show a lot more goodwill in cutting down on locking content behind pre-order bonuses and DLC. I know that's becoming the norm in gaming and with 2K games especially, but with 2K20 being as rough as it was, it was a terrible year for them to try for the usual money grab, and they ended up with egg on their face. It's not just about the quality of the game - though that obviously is important - but also giving gamers bang for their buck and not trying to milk wallets for extra revenue. It'd be the smart way to go, but we'll see if the suits realise that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:42 am

I find it funny that they're taking the year off much like their competitors EA have in making NBA games. Usually when you hear about taking a year off you don't think of 2k
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:19 pm

Indeed. The split with Yuke's has resulted in a setback that's uncharacteristic of them. While we may have our criticisms of NBA 2K, it's certainly in a much better state than WWE 2K.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun May 03, 2020 6:14 am

You know, Saber is probably doing a Playgrounds version of WWE, but I think it would've been cool if they just ripped off Wrestlefest because that honestly is the pinnacle of arcade wrestling games
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Sun May 03, 2020 10:29 am

[Q] wrote:You know, Saber is probably doing a Playgrounds version of WWE, but I think it would've been cool if they just ripped off Wrestlefest because that honestly is the pinnacle of arcade wrestling games

The amount of quarters I dumped into that in my youth was staggering.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun May 03, 2020 11:54 am

I don't think I ever played that one.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun May 03, 2020 1:12 pm

Yeah I loved playing as Mr. perfect and Ted Dibiase. There really wasn't anyone else that I was a fan of.

After a Google search, I found that a developer bought the license to make a new version

Andrew you have to try the old Wrestlefest game. Even on a MAME emulator or something.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:03 pm

Battlegrounds in September to feature a whopping 70 characters with some surprising appearances by Mauro Renallo and Yokozuna

Also the introduction of "golden bucks, the in-game currency" which is something 2k is known for. They claim that wrestlers, currency, and cosmetics can be earned in the game and that "no purchase is necessary" LOL we'll see about that. Knowing 2k they'll make it similar to Street Fighter V where it was technically possible to unlock all fighters for free but it would take forever to do and passively encourage buying currency

https://newsroom.2k.com/news/brawl-without-limits-in-wwer-2k-battlegrounds
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:16 pm

Golden Bucks are in NBA 2K Playgrounds 2 as well. They can be earned in-game, but at a much slower rate than Baller Bucks. My only expectations at this point are that I'll skip the game, as both Playgrounds games have left me mostly unimpressed and let down.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:18 pm

Is anybody playing battlegrounds? Is it any good
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:40 pm

Apparently it's incredibly generic as far as movesets, and not a whole lot of fun.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic