WWE 2K

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: WWE 2K18

Postby [Q] on Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:37 am

Do you not get Rey and Ronda if you don't pre-order?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:04 am

I'm not entirely sure. It could be a case of them being available as DLC at some point, but they very well might be pre-order exclusive.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:38 am

How's modding on the PC version? For 2k13 I managed custom music and entrance videos for a bunch of CAWs, which was a ton of fun. Ended up with a full ROH roster for Universe. Haven't really touched the series since, or even watched any wrestling the past two or three years, but the talk of spreadsheets of ratings and longer match times has me intrigued.

Only issue is my graphics card (GTS 450) doesn't even meet the minimum, much less recommended, specs. Been thinking about upgrading but I don't know much about them. Anyone have any recommendations that won't break the bank?
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby koberulz on Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:46 pm

Steam reckons it's going to take a week to download. I have 50Mbps NBN, and I'm getting a whopping 2Mbps on Steam. That's ridiculous.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:54 pm

I haven't looked into the modding scene too much - I haven't even felt inclined to double-dip with the PC version for the last couple of years - but I've seen glimpses of some cool stuff being done. Not following it that closely I can't be sure, but I have heard that most of the tools cost money and there are some issues with toxicity within that modding community, but modding communities can be contentious at times, as we are all too well aware around these parts.

As I said though, I haven't followed it that closely. It's funny because I did double-dip with 2K15 and 2K16 PC to check out the mods, but never followed through on it. I think at the end of the day, I just haven't had all that much fun with the games the past few years, due to stagnation in gameplay improvements and modes that just don't appeal to me. I've been getting the PS4 version out of habit and continued fondness for professional wrestling/the WWE, and they've had their moments, but I haven't liked them enough to buy them on a second platform. I don't think mods would make the experience much better for me, because it's core stuff that I find off-putting.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:10 pm

Yeah, for the 2k13 mod programs you had to be an 'active member' of whatever forum it was...which was loaded with ads and killed my browser. I stuck around long enough to get my trons in, and was done. But that was an X360 forum.

I haven't bought a game since 2k15, which I almost immediately traded in because they'd removed essentially everything. Haven't picked up 2k13 in ages, because the XBox is packed away.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:20 pm

Sounds like a real pain.

I've already outlined a lot of my gripes in recent posts in this thread, but I have grown very weary of the lack of improvement to gameplay. The AI still feels incredibly cheap; I don't think I've had a loss that felt fair, or the result of me making huge mistakes and rightfully losing because I messed up. It's felt very artificially balanced, to the point where even if you're good enough to basically play a squash match, you can end up getting pinned and unable to kick out after a couple of lucky reversals and a single big move by the AI.

The lack of proper story modes (even if some of the stories back in the day were a bit silly for my liking), Showcase modes often being DLC, and content being taken out to be pre-order exclusives has also really soured me on the product as well. It's felt like that stuff is even worse under 2K than it was under THQ.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:24 pm

After buying 2K17 and 2K18, I don't foresee myself purchasing 2K19.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:37 pm

I want to say that I won't. I've been on the fence the past couple of years, then ended up getting it gifted to me for my birthday, so I guess it hasn't been a financial loss for me. Mind you, whether I'm paying for it or someone's gifting it to me, I'm still playing the game and setting myself up for disappointment, so I'm glutton for punishment even if I'm not out of pocket. It's habit, and a collector's mentality, that has me (foolishly) considering getting it as usual (one way or another).

If nothing else, I'll check out the previews and see what they're doing with WWE 2K19.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:19 am

Lean wrote:I made a custom entrance video outside of the game using After Effects, and I replaced Summer Rae's entrance video.
How'd you do this? I seem to be able to find info on how to get the files into the game once they're in the right format, but the right format isn't a video file...
koberulz

Postby bigh0rt on Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:15 am

Somewhat related but probably not worth a new thread so I figure here's as good a place as any to ask. Does anyone play Fire Pro Wrestling World? If so, would it be worth getting for PS4? I no longer have a gaming PC, but if the non-modded add ons are worth it, I'd give it a shot, if I can build a WWE roster, current or retro, with ring, etc.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby koberulz on Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:47 am

koberulz wrote:Steam reckons it's going to take a week to download. I have 50Mbps NBN, and I'm getting a whopping 2Mbps on Steam. That's ridiculous.
Down to 8Kbps. FFS.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:47 am

bigh0rt wrote:Somewhat related but probably not worth a new thread so I figure here's as good a place as any to ask. Does anyone play Fire Pro Wrestling World? If so, would it be worth getting for PS4? I no longer have a gaming PC, but if the non-modded add ons are worth it, I'd give it a shot, if I can build a WWE roster, current or retro, with ring, etc.

I picked it up on Early Access. It's certainly different to what I'm used to, but has been pretty good so far. Customisation is pretty awesome, the community-created content should already have you covered in that regard.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:23 pm

koberulz wrote:
Lean wrote:I made a custom entrance video outside of the game using After Effects, and I replaced Summer Rae's entrance video.
How'd you do this? I seem to be able to find info on how to get the files into the game once they're in the right format, but the right format isn't a video file...

Use RadTools to convert them to Bink video format. (Y)
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby koberulz on Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:40 am

Cheers. Now I just need trons in the right resolutions....

All my themes are way too quiet, too.

It only runs at 5 FPS on my machine, so I haven't been able to spend too much time with it, but it definitely looks a huge improvement on 2k15, which was basically a "no features" edition. There's a disappointing lack of created wrestlers though, and gone are the days of looking up formulas on caws.ws.

Some of the absences are strange though. No "Samoa" as a ring announcer name so I can't create ROH/TNA-era Joe, his tights aren't in the game either, and there's no custom camera angles on entrances. The ability to change lights and music and trigger them at specific times is fantastic though.

However, Drew McIntyre's old entrance is no longer in, so I have to search for a long intro. Was good for Danielson as Final Countdown goes for bloody ages before it really gets going. I have a shorts-era Punk, too, and Miseria Cantare is also a slow starter.
koberulz

Postby Lean on Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:36 pm

The default main roster wrestlers have three titantron files, while NXT and legend wrestlers only have one. The common resolution across all of them is 1280x720. This resolution goes along with the NXT arena trons and all of the older arenas (although it would be squished to 4:3 aspect ratio, as far as I can remember).

The other two resolutions are 960x320 which is the standard Raw/Smackdown/NXT Takeover/PPV arenas titantron resolution. The last one is 1280x320, and it's specifically for the present-day Royal Rumble and Summerslam arenas.

Upon further digging back in the 2K16 days, the arena ribbon, wall tron, and ring apron LED board graphics are all inside an existing wrestler model/texture package.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby koberulz on Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:49 pm

Looks like most of them are actually 16:9-displayed 640x640.

But then also wall trons, apron trons, ribbon trons...not sure how to extract those so I can see what's going on with them either.
koberulz

Postby Lean on Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:31 am

Yeah most of the trons are 16:9, except for wrestlers that have the corresponding tron files for other arenas.

I'm guessing since it's the same engine as 2K15/16/17, I think the wall, apron, and ribbon trons are inside wrestler model/texture packages. I tried looking on Smacktalks' forums at the time, and they were able to mod them, except only for the console versions.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby koberulz on Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:20 am

Yep, found them. The middle minitron on the 2002 Raw stage is the longer portion of the ribbon tron. That's...bizarre.
koberulz

Postby Lean on Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:39 am

Wow, way to save space by hiding it somewhere ambiguous. :lol:
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby koberulz on Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:47 pm

No tutorial level in MyPlayer? I have no idea how to play this game...I lost my first match by countout because I couldn't get back into the ring.

OBS Studio has randomly decided not to record audio, too.
koberulz

Postby koberulz on Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:30 pm

Seriously, no decent manual, no tutorial level...

It keeps not letting me use finishers. And I have no idea why.

Managed two 15-minute broadways and about ten losses so far. I'm terrible at kicking out, and seem to need to land three or four finishers to win.
koberulz

Postby bigh0rt on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:39 am

That was a huge gripe of mine when I first got the game as well. I wound up having to set up Player vs Player matches against an empty controller instead of vs CPU until I had a grasp of the controls.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:46 pm

koberulz wrote:No tutorial level in MyPlayer? I have no idea how to play this game...I lost my first match by countout because I couldn't get back into the ring.

That's the problem with this game's design. The only time you get a tutorial is when you play your actual first match, regardless of game modes.

You can get back in the ring by pressing L1/LB while pressing the analog stick towards the ring, or L2/LT to run towards the ring. As for kickouts, there's certainly a lag input there which was worse than it had with 2K16 (and you get three attempts when pinned normally, only two if you get hit by a finisher which kinda mirrors how the three-count works in real life, but in 2K15 you've got multiple chances to kick out).

For finishers, you can "charge" it by holding triangle/Y. You can cancel the "charge" by pressing L1/LB.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:02 pm

I really hate the kick out mechanic they've stuck with for a while now. It highlights the cheapness of the AI when I have to hit them with eight or so finishers to get the job done, but they hit me with one and I find myself in the "you can try, but you're not kicking out of this" version of the kick out mini-game. The submission mechanics/mini-game feels very biased towards the AI as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic