current state of society

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

current state of society

Postby [Q] on Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:01 am

Crazy times we live in. What a hell of a 2020 we've had so far. The increased polarization of literally every topic had everyone on edge and then this pandemic put it over the top

You got the president hell bent on killing people and reopening the country to help his reelection efforts, and then with everyone cooped up we see yet another black man die in the hands of the police. People won't take it anymore.

I knew people out in the streets of LA at the protests and there were people there that were not part of it inciting violence and making things worse so you know there's so much more to this that meets the eye. I don't know what the outcome of all this will be but I hope that things don't go back to the way it was, because the old ways weren't working with people dying for no reason
This topic was moved from NBA & Basketball by Andrew on Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:47 pm.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Re: current state of society

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:50 pm

It really has been a crazy and difficult year for a lot of people. I see a lot of people saying they wish 2020 was over and done with, which I can relate to. On the other hand, that'll probably mean 2021 is just a bad; we need a few months (at least) to start turning things around. I absolutely agree that there are things that need to change.

Hope everyone is staying safe.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby BrotherJRB on Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:56 pm

I am living in a military state. This is not fun. But there is a ton of historical reference to all these instances. It will pass.
2013 is the year?
Thanks to Vl@d, Leftos and all the other patchers for their hard work.
BrotherJRB

Postby Jeffx on Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:05 pm

It's no more or less crazy than what I saw growing up during the turbulent 60s (civil rights protests, police dogs & fire hoses, Vietnam, Kent State, assassinations, etc.).......same as it ever was. The difference between now and then is technology...shit is being filmed more. Police brutality has been going on for decades upon decades.

Look at U.S. history....it has always been a divided nation on many hot-blooded issues. It's in this country's DNA.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:42 pm

That's a sobering thought, Jeffx. I guess we like to think that progress has been made since then, or indeed since Rodney King in the early 90s, but sadly, shamefully, bigotry still survives (and in some ways, thrives).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:17 am

Long ago, my father (a retired NYPD officer), gave my brother & I "The Talk" (on how to respond when stopped by police). My brother, a retired cop himself, did the same for his kids. The more things change, the more they remain the same. Unfortunately, a black American's money, education, status means nothing to too many people. To them, we're just (fill in the blank). That's the reality, and I deal with it the best I can.

The laws have changed for the better, but the hearts of many folks hasn't.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:43 am

It's become all too apparent - not just in the past week or so, either - that a lot of people still hold those views. Makes one feel like as a society, we just got good at sweeping it under the rug, rather than effecting actual change and being better. Disheartening and infuriating all at once.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:27 pm

[Q] wrote:You got the president hell bent on killing people...

Sounds like our president as well.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Return to Off-Topic