The New Generation (PS5/XSX)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: The New Generation (PS5/XSX)

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:33 pm

I've heard a few people have had issues with the PS5. Hoping it's software rather than hardware. As for that smoking Xbox Series X, it's looking like that was a hoax...to the point that Microsoft has had to warn people not to blow vape smoke into their consoles.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:55 pm

so o failed at getting a PS5 online as that shit sold oit instantaneously so im not sure when my next chance will be. I'm just curious how you guys were able to get one!
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:27 pm

Definitely luck, patience, and perseverance on my part. JB Hi-Fi announced that pre-orders for the next batch of PS5s (expected out December 8th) would be going up at 11 AM on Thursday, so I made sure that I was on the site at that time, added it to my cart, and checked out as soon as I was able. The traffic was causing errors during checkout, no matter whether I picked the delivery or Click & Collect option, but at Kenny's suggestion I just kept clicking the Find button to locate a Click & Collect store until the options loaded properly. As quick as I could, I selected my local store, and completed the checkout. It took me about 20 minutes, and based on what other people were telling me after I Tweeted about it, I lucked out on that front as they were sold out not long after that.

Obviously Australia having a smaller population helps compared to trying to get one over there in the US, but even so, I think I was pretty lucky.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:47 am

Everyone I talk to irl and online are PS gamers now... when and why did the consciousness slip away from Xbox? 360 was the shit back in the day, but even I'm guilty of it. Off the rip though, PS5 probably does have the better exclusives.

[Q] wrote:so o failed at getting a PS5 online as that shit sold oit instantaneously so im not sure when my next chance will be. I'm just curious how you guys were able to get one!

Up until two weeks ago I didn't even care/think about next-gen... my brother had an extra of each pre-ordered (that's just how he rolls) so I snagged 'em.

The Gears 5 upgrade was not insanely noticeable... I'll probably just play Planet Coaster on it via Game Pass. I could've probably just lived with PS5 for now but I have a ton of progress in GTA Online on Xbox so that'll be good when the next-gen version comes out (I'm hoping/assuming they'll add a lot). While not exclusive to Series X, there's also a really cool game Tunic on the horizon, and of course I'll be trying Halo except I haven't really been feeling the series since Reach.

Regarding PS5, it has crashed for me three times (starting COD, beginning a COD match and closing Spider-Man)... the other things that stand out to me is how big and elaborate the console itself is, the haptic triggers (which as neat as it is I already turned off -- the triggers can offer resistance/a threshold point for shooting a gun for instance to make it more realistic) and I'm paranoid about the built-in mic on the controller: it's on by default, and I'm paranoid about accidentally turning it on and broadcasting my home to everyone... probably more annoying than Kinect. The mute/unmute button is like right on top of the PS button.

Also, I still haven't tried Astro's Playroom, the Mario Sunshine pack-in.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Q] on Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:09 am

I've been a Sony guy since the first playstation. It was kind of a no-brainer to get the next one in the series so I could play my old games and I just went from there.

How was your brother able to get multiple pre-orders? Most people can't get even one
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Hyperize] on Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:34 am

He got them from multiple retailers and by following Wario64 on Twitter, someone who tweets about game deals.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:43 am

cavs4872 wrote:Everyone I talk to irl and online are PS gamers now... when and why did the consciousness slip away from Xbox? 360 was the shit back in the day, but even I'm guilty of it. Off the rip though, PS5 probably does have the better exclusives.

I have a 360 (actually replaced it earlier this year so I wouldn't lose my library when my previous one developed a fault with the optical drive), and didn't get a PS3 until a friend gifted me their old one to import the old college basketball games, but before that I had a PS2 (and still do; before that, I was Nintendo all the way). I went with the PS4 last generation because I liked the sound of what they were doing, and it's the platform that other people I knew were getting. I've opted for PS5 this time around because I can use my PSN account and PS+ subscription across the three consoles, not to mention play my PS4 games. None of the games I'm interested in are exclusive either, so it's a moot point for me.

I'm guessing that Microsoft's attitude in the lead up to the PS4/X1 launch had a lot to do with people opting for Sony in the past decade. Their initial insistence at always online and dismissal of the valid concerns surrounding that approach, as well as their original plans for game ownership that would've restricted second hand sales or even borrowing games from friends, probably turned off a lot of people. I certainly wasn't impressed by it, and while I'm under no illusions that Sony is a perfect, charitable, virtuous company, they had the right approach there, and it benefited them greatly. Sony being competitive with Microsoft's price with the PS4 and PS5 no doubt helps as well, as the PS3 was more expensive than the 360.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:14 pm

I have a 360 as well... the fan runs loud as fuck... I actually bought the 2006 Family Guy game for it recently that I sort of see as a hidden gem where some people hate it.

I also have a PS3 but it doesn't play PS2 which is a massive bummer... most of that library is on other consoles now though. I only have San Andreas and Battle for Bikini Bottom for it anyway which have been ported and remade respectively, and both are playable on PS5 now.

Andrew wrote:Their initial insistence at always online and dismissal of the valid concerns surrounding that approach, as well as their original plans for game ownership that would've restricted second hand sales or even borrowing games from friends, probably turned off a lot of people. I certainly wasn't impressed by it, and while I'm under no illusions that Sony is a perfect, charitable, virtuous company, they had the right approach there, and it benefited them greatly. Sony being competitive with Microsoft's price with the PS4 and PS5 no doubt helps as well, as the PS3 was more expensive than the 360.

Now I'm game sharing with my brother on Xbox and so long as one of us buys a game we both have it.

Also, 360's online service was eons better than PS3's throughout.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:30 pm

Microsoft changed gears after the backlash, and while I'd say it hurt them with the X1, it's still resulted in a better direction.

The model of PS3 I was gifted doesn't play PS2 either, but as I said, I still have my PS2 for those games. I wish they'd remastered Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories for PS4 as they did with the other PS2-era GTAs, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:52 pm

Picked up my PS5 today, a week earlier than anticipated. Now I just have to find room for it, set everything up, and download NBA 2K21. I might have some impressions by tomorrow. :lol:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:22 am

How is everyone's ps5 working do far? I have one on the way but I have been hearing that a lot of people are suffering from crashes and errors. Could be related to certain games only though
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:06 pm

I'm nervously waiting for my first crash, but so far so good with NBA 2K21.

I'd also forgotten that Mortal Kombat 11 was doing the free upgrade, so I was pleasantly surprised when I popped in the disc while my cousin was visiting earlier in the week, and was able to get the PS5 version installed with all of the DLC I'd purchased on PS4. You have to have the PS4 disc in there as the authenticator, but that's no big deal. Much better than having to buy it again.

This has to be the biggest generational jump in terms of loading times, too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:13 pm

Gran Turismo 7 has been delayed until 2022. It's disappointing but not unexpected considering how covid has probably affected their development.

Hopefully by 2022 it will actually be possible to buy a PS5. I checked a few stores this week and the situation seems to be the same as it was back in December - sold out everywhere.
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby [Q] on Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:57 pm

Lol it wouldn't be a real Gran Turismo without a delay!

I got lucky finding one here but it's hard because you have to beat bots and scalpers
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:42 pm

I know it's unlikely, but I truly hope that people hold out on the scalpers and force them to charge retail price, thereby failing to make a profit or even incurring a loss.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:45 am

In the US, it's possible to get one if you make an effort to get one. I spent weeks with twitter notifications on and joining a discord chat dedicated to getting a ps5 and I finally got one
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:33 am

Disappointing about Gran Turismo... I was looking forward to it even though I'm not a huge realistic racing guy and already have Forza on Series X.

Harry Potter has similarly been delayed but my backlog is big enough and Lego Star Wars will probably keep me occupied so it's no huge loss. The new Lego Star Wars game is supposed to be a massive open world where you can board your ship and fly to other planets and stuff.

Phil89 wrote:Hopefully by 2022 it will actually be possible to buy a PS5.

It's sad that this is the state we're in... PS5 honestly seems old to me now. :lol: I would honestly say it's not the end of the world though... the upgrade is not life-altering or anything. Really off the top of my head the only next-gen exclusive I've played is the pack-in (Astro's Playroom) lol.

Oh yeah, and Miles Morales, though it didn't get as much play for me as Spidey 1 and I honestly would've been off just as good with continuing that game.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Q] on Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:16 am

The reduction of loading times on ps4 games was so mind blowing. A huge quality of life addition
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:14 pm

In my experience, it shaved about 11 seconds off loading times for NBA 2K14.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:19 am

What's everyone's collection looking like? I have to admit the only Next Gen game I have is NBA 2K21 on PS5. Mind you, I basically got the console at launch so that I could be set up for the next generation and cover NBA 2K21 Next Gen. Even now, I'm having more fun going back and playing games like NBA Live 10 and NBA Jam: On Fire Edition.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:20 am

I've got 2K21, Madden 21, Demon's Souls and Resident Evil: Village. Village is just an enhanced version of the PS4 game though and Madden is hardly anything to write home about
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:55 am

Not too surprising at the beginning of a generation, I guess. It's the drawback of getting the console at launch, but with that being said, I'm certainly glad that I did.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:09 am

It's hard to separate the legit PS5 games from the "enhanced" PS4 games, but I guess I only have a handful of "true" PS5 games including Sackboy and the PS Plus downloads. TBH almost all of my time spent on PS5 has been playing PS4 games but I'm still happy I got one so I could sell my old PS4 and future proof my gaming setup. It's a shame Live is gone because I do miss basketball games. Hopefully EA brings back March Madness which will help them make a Live comeback
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:54 am

I still have my PS4, but I've barely touched it since getting a PS5. I've mostly just got all the NBA Live games installed on it so I can go back and get screenshots or videos for features, as well as NBA 2K21 Current Gen. Even then the PS5 has better video capture, so unless I need something that's saved on PS4 and won't transfer over to PS5 properly (like career mode data and rosters, apparently), I might just reinstall a game on PS5 temporarily to get footage.

I just remembered that I do have the PS5 version of Mortal Kombat 11 as per the free upgrade they offered, but to your point Q, that's technically an enhanced PS4 game.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:54 am

Astro's Playroom and Ratchet & Clank are the two best next-gen games imo.
[Hyperize]

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic