Return to Monkey Island

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Return to Monkey Island

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:14 pm

phpBB [video]

So, I grew up with LucasArts and Sierra adventure games. The Monkey Island series is one of my favourites, so naturally, I'm excited to see a new game coming out!

This one will be headed up by Ron Gilbert, the creator of the original two games. The third and fourth games, as well as the episodic series from Telltale, weren't made with his involvement and original vision for the story. As such, there's always been some debate about canon, and Ron Gilbert himself is saying that this new game is a direct sequel to the second game (Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge), resolving its twist cliffhanger ending and ignoring the games he didn't work on.

I'm intrigued and looking forward to it, but in two minds about disregarding the canon of the non-Gilbert sequels. If nothing else, the third game - The Curse of Monkey Island - was a fine release with a fun story, that managed to find a way to resolve the aforementioned twist ending. I know the "done thing" is to yield to the vision of the original creator, but there's a touch of snobbery in that notion which does bug me. I hope that Gilbert's story - now that he's got a chance to show it to us - is at least as good as those other sequels, and worth the wait.

Anyway, I know I'll be getting it. As for Monkey Island 2's ending, Pushing Up Roses put together a great video on that some years back.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to Off-Topic