Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby Lean on Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:45 am

Oh heck, and The Iiconics are "no more"? What?
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:47 am

Andrew wrote:They just split up The IIconics. I hope it's part of a longer story, because otherwise, that is monumentally dumb.

I hope it does. I've seen their singles run on NXT, but since they got paired up, it's hard to see one without the other.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:57 am

I mean, both started their careers as singles wrestlers and are still underrated in the ring, so it's not like they can't do it. But they're an entertaining double act, and the only true team in the division.

Way to kill my enthusiasm for the product, WWE.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:54 pm

And they make it a full turn, with Peyton throwing Billie into the fray in RAW Underground.

The irony of it all for me? Last week I won a giveaway on WWE Australia's Instagram account. The prize? An IIconics shirt.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:24 am

More insight into that booking decision:

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:13 am

So would you prefer them to continue to job for others as a team or break them up to see a Peyton push? Rumor has it that Vince is high on her
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:18 pm

24 hours later, and I'm still bummed.

[Q] wrote:So would you prefer them to continue to job for others as a team or break them up to see a Peyton push? Rumor has it that Vince is high on her

I've heard those rumours, and that's awesome for Peyton. I think they could've easily had Billie be her manager if they wanted to try a singles push. I also can't shake the feeling that they'll be all in on it for about three weeks, then Vince will get bored and pull the plug on it, making the whole thing a colossal waste. I'd much rather they continue to be a double act and properly pushed in the division, which is now lacking in teams. But hey, good thing Bayley and Sasha "raised the profile" of those titles, right? Just so all the teams could get broken up, and they're won by a makeshift duo. WWE, man.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:40 am

At least the Bayley/Sasha split has been building for some time, and both should be in the singles division anyway. That feud should be good.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:08 pm

So yeah, even though they wrestled each other so many times here in Australia this is really weird to see in WWE.

phpBB [video]

I'm still bummed by the split. I don't think it's a good idea, and I don't have confidence that WWE will handle their singles runs properly. I also think it makes no sense for them to have a match, given that they split due to a (dumb) stipulation, rather than tension or falling out. It's basically a hamfisted way of pushing forward with the split, and introducing their new music. I wish they got at least one more tag title run, and that they weren't going in this direction.

However...

However, it also occurs to me that they'd long dreamed of making it to WWE before it finally happened for them. They've talked about the dream being to make it together, but not necessarily as a tag team. When they formed The Iconic Duo/The IIconics, they struck gold and ran with it. Before that, in kayfabe they were adversaries on the indies, and had several fun matches against each other. Now they've been able to have that match on the big stage, following some big moments as a tag team including a win at Wrestlemania. I think that has to be special for them, and I can appreciate that. Still bums me out, I still wish they were going in a different direction here, but there's a silver lining. Also the fact that there was no post-match beatdown and that the friendship is intact on-screen is refreshing. It'll also help them to continue doing stuff on each other's YouTube channels without worrying about breaking kayfabe.

Anyway, one last time.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:17 pm

Hopefully the split goes somewhere for the both of them. With WWE's current booking style, I expect that they will continue to feud with a blow-off match somewhere down the line. I'm afraid of what happens to them after that.

AEW got slammed by Reby Hardy last weekend after Matt's scary bump during All Out to what seems to be a concussion. And again, most of their rabid fans went to the promotion's defense, even telling Reby to "shut up and hear both sides of the story."
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:54 pm

I actually don't think they're going to feud. I think this is basically just solidifying the split, with them likely ending up on different brands...until they inevitably get put back together, and you know, I wouldn't be upset if it comes to that. But if they are going in this direction, I hope they both get a solid push. That's the only way they can justify breaking up such a great double act, and the longest tenured team in a division that is now short on legitimate, established teams, and abruptly on a random RAW no less. Ah well, silver linings and all that.

That's a very combustible situation in AEW, with Matt's injury. It was a scary moment, and even if he doesn't have a concussion as Tony Khan is reporting, they made a mistake letting the match go on; especially after Aubrey Edwards tried to call it by throwing up the X for real. It's been weird to see the fan reactions see-saw back and forth, and Reby going at it with her husband's boss on social media. I imagine it'll end up being water under the bridge, but it's messy for now. They really should've called the match and worried about the retirement stipulation later, though. You can easily write around that with technicalities and the like.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:50 am

I hope they move Billie to Smackdown so they remain apart from each other, so there's importance when they inevitably get back together.

And I agree that they should have stopped the match when Aubrey threw the X and just re-write the storyline later on. I believe their doctor gave Matt the OK... after looking at Matt for a few minutes, and Tony Khan referring to it as their concussion protocol.

Meanwhile, Finn Bálor is now the NXT Champion.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:55 pm

Rhea Ripley vs Mercedes Martinez was good too. No surprises there, Martinez is a legendary veteran on the level of a Madison Eagles. Incidentally, it would be awesome to see them wrestle again some day. A short WWE run for Eagles could be amazing. Rhea's looking like a star.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:43 pm

Andrew wrote:Rhea's looking like a star.

Again, she should not have lost to Charlotte.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:14 pm

She definitely shouldn't have. I know a lot of people tried to look on the bright side there as far as raising the profile of NXT and the women's title, but it ultimately just stifled the momentum of a rising star. There are times when we should "wait and see", but WWE has thrown away a lot of goodwill in that regard. On top of that, when the angle and booking have a lot of problems to begin with, when it's clearly going to have more drawbacks than benefits and not be a compelling story that properly utilises the people involved, you can certainly wait, but what you see very likely isn't going to be good.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:03 am

Speaking of NXt, it's nice to see Tyler Breeze/Breezango finally win a title. They were hot back as the Fashion Police but were inexplicably not crowned champions at any point

I believe it's the first title for both guys in the company as well, which has been a long time coming
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:50 am

It is their first, and they've been around for ages. Amazingly, Fandango actually started wrestling in 1999, though not for WWF/E. They are a lot fun, so it's great to see.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:20 pm

Andrew wrote:I know a lot of people tried to look on the bright side there as far as raising the profile of NXT and the women's title, but it ultimately just stifled the momentum of a rising star.

The fact that she was not pinned to lose the title to Io (like she was not pinned to lose the title to Becky) still bothers me.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby deihatein on Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:01 pm

This is the first time I've seen Andrew devastated on a wrestling angle. Not even Undertaker loss to Lesnar got him this mad.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:25 pm

Actually, I'd say my disappointment is comparable. I still haven't watched Wrestlemania XXX since the original airing, and I was completely zoned out for the rest of the PPV after that happened, so I couldn't even enjoy Daniel Bryan's big win. If there is a difference, it's that I could at least see the logic behind The Streak being broken, and by Brock Lesnar, even if I didn't like it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:08 am

Teaser trailer for season 2 of The Mandalorian just dropped, and Sasha Banks is in it. Also spoilers if you haven't seen the first season:

phpBB [video]
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:29 am

That's cool that she's getting some mainstream exposure.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:15 am

Totally dig the asshole Reigns character. Great storyline with Jey Uso, too!
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:07 am

That was really well done. As for Reigns in general, makes one think they should've leaned into a heel turn years ago, but I'm glad they're doing it now.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:54 pm

With the draft going on, I really hope they don't switch him to Raw. I like my Smackdown cohesive and written better.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic