Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:22 am

I'm guessing they use it to shake up the lower card, probably have Billie and Peyton on separate shows (and other similar angle-based/character retooling reshuffling), and maybe have some token midcard moves to make it feel important.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:42 am

It's funny that they feel like they need a draft to switch people around when they already have random "trades", or hell just whenever the Miz wants you to switch shows.

I guess that gives writers a source of material for one day, where their job is somewhat easier
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:02 pm

Draft's tomorrow. Here's to hoping that Smackdown keeps asshole Reigns. It kinda sucks because I just started watching Smackdown again because of the Alexa/Fiend and Chief Reigns storylines, and with the draft coming I have a gut feeling that Smackdown loses both storylines if some of them if not all involved in the storyline would get moved to Raw. Although I am sure of one thing, though: AJ Styles won't be in the same brand Reigns would be in because of Heyman.

Meanwhile, I finally have the stock simulated leather of the replica NXT championship replaced with a leather strap, and it actually does make it better:

The dude that made the strap manually stamped all those details and added a layer of smooth leather at the back to cover up the bolts.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:52 pm

Some of the angles are starting to get messy again. They really need to storyboard things, especially with such a big roster these days.

Speaking of which, Billie Kay and Peyton Royce wrestled each other again on Main Event, despite being forced to split and not actually turning on each other. So at this point, I'm going to say that Vince cooled on Peyton's singles push, has forgotten about the two of them, and they split for no reason as the women's tag division descends into terrible shape with a bland face version of The Riott Squad, a team in Lana and Natalya that keeps getting squashed, and thrown together teams comprised of women they have no plans for, including the current champions. It's exactly what I feared it would be, making the sacrifice of one of the most entertaining acts in the company all for nothing. So, typical WWE booking and writing, basically.

On the bright side, it was a pretty decent match. Not quite up to their PWA clashes, but they actually got to wrestle properly, at least by the standards of the "WWE Playbook".
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:57 pm

One of them should be moved to Smackdown. The one that gets moved gets a decent run at least, while the one who'll remain on Raw will be in limbo. I really hope those who are not being used properly has the option to go back to NXT like Breeze/Fandango, Balor and now Ember. There's just too many people.

With NXT, I am not fond of their current active roster aside from Balor, Io, Rhea, Shotzi and the UE. Gargano doesn't feel right as heel, same with Candice. And Ciampa may have had his run but I feel like he's not as hot as he was when he first turned heel.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:45 pm

There's a chance the Draft sorts things out, but I'm still not optimistic. I do think the problem is that all the attention goes to a handful of angles, leaving the rest of the roster in a holding pattern, and that not enough is planned out ahead. What's happened with The IIconics is a symptom of a larger problem with WWE's booking and writing. They're not the first and won't be the last to suffer from it.

Also forgot to mention, the belt looks really cool. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:49 pm

Thanks, Andrew. I'm looking to have that mounted to my wall this weekend. I'm looking to get the Undisputed V2 next, but I'm not in a hurry. :shifty:

It's surprising that they split up the New Day even when they just won the tag belts from Cesaro and Nakamura, and it's also surprising that the reactions are mostly against it because I remember people pitching that E moves away from the New Day so that he could have a serious singles run(then again people may have had a change of heart since Kofi had a singles run and even won the heavyweight championship while still being in the group.

I have a theory though, and it's a very petty one: what if they're splitting groups because of the deal with CFO$? Surely E would get a new theme after thisand Kofi and Woods might get a theme of their own. They split the Iiconics and then they have their own themes and got rid of their old ones because of that.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:22 pm

Yeah, I'd much rather they stay together and support each other in singles runs. That's kind of a running thought I have with some of the break-ups we've seen this year, as you can probably tell.

I've seen that suggestion about replacing music from CFO$ being behind the shake-ups and break-ups of teams, and while it may be cynical and perhaps even a bit paranoid...I honestly couldn't rule it out. On one hand, they could very easily just give people new music without splitting up teams and changing gimmicks, as it's not like that hasn't happened before. On the other hand, it seems to be the year of break-ups, so you do have to wonder if that's their "solution".

Beyond that though, we saw the usual lack of logic and consistency in the Draft. Some stables and teams were drafted as a package, others as individuals, and some who aren't officially a team as such - like Rey and Dominik Mysterio - got drafted together. I know, I know, it's pro wrestling and it's not supposed to be super deep or high art, but a bare minimum of consistency and continuity wouldn't go astray.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:47 pm

random thought: it was cool they did the women's tag titles, but arr they in need of women's mid card titles? singles scene has been dominated by horsewomen and Asuka for the past 2 years. it makes me feel like there's no point in following or getting behind someone who is an up and comer like Peyton or Zelina
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:02 am

I think at this point it would be overkill. The tag titles are basically midcard titles for the women's division, and they've just broken up a bunch of teams over the past few weeks, creating singles wrestlers who are going to have trouble breaking through the glass ceiling because of the way Asuka and the 4HW are booked. And if anyone else does get an opportunity, stans of those five cry because someone else is getting some shine for a change.

Don't get me wrong, the 4HW and Asuka are great and deserve to get pushes, title runs, and the like. But there's more talent in the division than a lot of people give it credit for. A lot of the women, especially those with extensive experience on the indies, don't get to show the extent of their abilities thanks to their booking.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:40 pm

So Andrew, how pissed are you that they broke up the Iconics only to team up Peyton with... Lacey Evans??

Not sure if that pairing is better or worse than the equally exciting pairing of Mandy Rose and Dana Brooke
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:19 pm

I'm obviously not thrilled, but sadly, I'm not shocked. They clearly had no actual plan in place when they split The IIconics, or if they did, they quickly changed their minds. Their writing and storyline planning is beyond terrible at this point. I'd make a joke about them hiring David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, but at least the last season of Game of Thrones had some good ideas that were just executed poorly. Right now, WWE doesn't even have good ideas. They've also bungled Retribution in so many ways, which is a shame because that is one of the few ideas that has/had merit.

Mind you, I don't think it's that much better when they hand creative control over to the talent. I'm absolutely sick of The Fiend. It's easily one of the most selfish gimmicks I've seen in wrestling, and now it's added "seduces a pretty woman" to the pseudo-intellectual fan fiction that is the character in a nutshell.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:47 am

Lol so Retribution is jobbing for Hurt Business who seems to have turned face?? MVP must have some major pull backstage. I'm all for elevating Shelton and Cedric who were doing nothing before but at th expense of a returning Ali and the new group you've been hyping?

Great cell match with Sasha and Bayley. Nasty spot where they had a running sunset flip into the chair wedged in the corner
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:08 pm

The booking of Retribution is definitely making their failure a self-fulling prophecy.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:30 am

Speaking of pro wrestling, I sometimes find myself watching videos of late Attitude Era/Ruthless Aggression WWE era, alongside various WCW videos on YouTube. I really loved the acting, the matches, the storylines... except a few, the work was illustrious. Yes, injuries stripped us of much better storylines, but looking back, it looks all amazing in 4:3 ratio. Maybe it's me that finally became a little mature/old, but when I watch wrestling videos of recent times (AEW, Hardys back at WWE, etc), it looks corny. Any thoughts? Or it's me expecting too much?
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:52 pm

The style has changed with the times and it doesn't continue to appeal to everyone, so that's understandable. As for storytelling, WWE has been very inconsistent across its programming for years now.

As for my thoughts on recent events in WWE, Billie Kay's resume shtick has gotten over thanks to her comedic timing, which has been great to see. Like everyone else who's been involved with Lacey Evans, Peyton Royce hasn't benefited at all. Their brief reunion during the Rumble was fun. I'm hoping they eventually reunite permanently.

Speaking of Billie Kay, the official Shimmer YouTube channel uploaded her match against then-Shimmer Champion Madison Eagles, who of course was her trainer, mentor, and original tag team partner.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:00 pm

A lot has changed since this topic was last bumped! I'm going to bump it again though, since the main wrestling subreddits are poorly-moderated toxic dumpster fires, radiating neckbeard energy. Anyway...

So, The IIconics both got released last April. I was pretty bummed at the time, though they'd already messed things up by splitting them up unnecessarily. It's been great to see them reform as The IInspiration, and have a run with the Knockouts tag titles in IMPACT. Indeed, that's given me another US promotion to watch, and I like some of the other wrestlers in that company as well, so it's been fun to get into. I'm glad they've been able to land on their feet, and branch out into some other projects, like their podcast. They're not for everyone, I know, but I really enjoy them.

Although I was down on WWE for a while after that, I've kept up with it. Wrestlemania 38 was a tremendous show! Becky Lynch vs Bianca Belair was a great match, a fitting finale for a well-told story. Everyone was up in arms after Bianca lost so quickly at SummerSlam last year, but there was a method to the madness, and it paid off big time (no pun intended). Cody Rhodes' return felt like a big deal, and his match with Seth Rollins was awesome as well. Stone Cold returning for one last match topped things off. No, it won't please the workrate-obsessed smarks, but I enjoyed it. Hats off to Austin for taking some bumps on the outside, and to Kevin Owens for playing his role as the smug heel who gets his comeuppance after disrespecting an all-time great.

I'm actually intrigued by the Ezekiel/Elias storyline. Once again, KO is playing his role perfectly, and they've got a chance to do something fun there. I think the Elias gimmick had run its course, so even if this idea fizzles, it was worth trying something new.

I have mixed feelings about Roman Reigns these days. I'm not a fan of the "final boss" booking in WWE that has been passed from Brock Lesnar to Reigns. I believe that the show is more entertaining when there are a few viable contenders, and the top dog still has worthy opponents. However, it's at least leaned into the negative reactions to Reigns, and they're not trying to sell us on the idea that this big badass of a man is a plucky underdog. It's getting a bit stale for me and again, I do prefer when the top champion has rivals that are presented as his equals, but the reactions are right if nothing else.

On the Aussie scene, I'm still following my hometown promotion Newy Pro, and PWA down in Sydney. There's a lot of talent on our scene, and its produced a couple of people who are now over in NXT (Persia Pirotta and Grayson Waller). It's always a great vibe and an entertaining show when I'm able to attend, so I expect now that everything's kind of back to normal with events and whatnot, I'll be attending a few more shows this year.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:06 am

ADRENALINE IN MY SOUL!
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:47 am

Something something finish the story! No, that's not it...

WWE has definitely been better since Vince was ousted. More importantly, it appears he's facing the music for some horrific deeds, as he should.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:54 pm

Thank heavens I could still say here in the forums without filter that Vince is a piece of shit human being for following in the footsteps of Moolah who was also another pile of garbage that should be burning in hell.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Previous

Return to Off-Topic