Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby bigh0rt on Tue May 19, 2020 1:23 am

So I've really enjoyed The Last Ride documentary on WWE Network. Part 1 was substantially better than Part 2, but both have been very enjoyable watches so far, and I'm looking forward to see what remains. I've gotta imagine you're loving it Andrew.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue May 19, 2020 1:39 am

I'm a bit behind on it (as I am with The Last Dance, funnily enough), but I've definitely enjoyed what I've seen so far. Given how protective he's been of kayfabe and his character over the years, it's awesome to see him pull back the curtain like this.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue May 19, 2020 5:12 am

Dark Side of the Ring finale is tomorrow night featuring Martha Hart talking about Owen. He is one of my favorites, so I'll definitely be tuning in. Much like the Benoit story, there was a lot of stuff kept from the media so it would be interesting to hear what went on behind the scenes
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby kidhybrid89 on Tue May 19, 2020 10:25 am

[Q] wrote:Dark Side of the Ring finale is tomorrow night featuring Martha Hart talking about Owen. He is one of my favorites, so I'll definitely be tuning in. Much like the Benoit story, there was a lot of stuff kept from the media so it would be interesting to hear what went on behind the scenes

I think it's going to make for one of the more interesting episodes.
kidhybrid89

Postby Andrew on Tue May 19, 2020 1:17 pm

The Owen episode, like the Benoit episode, should be a tough but fascinating watch.

Meanwhile, there goes WWE teasing an IIconics split, something that absolutely doesn't need to happen. I mean, they have chemistry as opponents because they were constant adversaries in PWA, but they do not need to split them up. They're a great double act, they're already doing a "former friends turned bitter rivals" angle with Sonya and Mandy on Smackdown, and the women's tag division shouldn't lose its only real team. Aside from being pretty depressing to see, it's just not a good move at all.

(Which is why WWE Creative are probably strongly considering it.)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri May 22, 2020 4:14 am

Just got done watching the Owen episode and man, that was hard to watch. I remember I wasn't really watching regularly at the time, so I don't ever recall really seeing the Blue Blazer gimmick at all. It made me really sad to think about his career when Jericho said that there was no one in the company that could keep up with him at the time and named off all the people that would come shortly after. I am happy that the complete story got pieced together but I wish that we had learned more about Owen, the kind of person that he was, and the life that he lived. I love when people tell stories of him ribbing people. It seems like everyone that knew him had a story and no one had a bad thing to say about him.

I understand the two sides of the controversy now where Bret and the wrestling community want to honor and remember him but Martha doesn't want WWE profiting off of him.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri May 22, 2020 1:29 pm

Apparently there are some deleted scenes that talk about his reputation as a ribber.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue May 26, 2020 1:54 pm

phpBB [video]

That's more like it. Some of that old viciousness is back.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue May 26, 2020 3:22 pm

It looks like they retconned the tease of the breakup last week. Also, are those NXT talents in the background? I thought I saw Shotzi Blackheart and Jessamin Duke in there.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue May 26, 2020 9:58 pm

Yeah, they've started using wrestlers as a crowd as AEW has been doing.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Wed May 27, 2020 2:41 pm

APOLLO CREWS IS THE UNITED STATES CHAMPION.

THIS IS REAL! 2020 IS SAVED
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Wed May 27, 2020 2:53 pm

If there's an upside to the thinner roster during the pandemic, it's that some underused people are getting a chance to shine.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sat May 30, 2020 7:14 pm

The Uno series on UpUpDownDown is so hilarious!
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:50 am

phpBB [video]

Awesome to see Billie Kay pick up a singles win, and with her old finisher the Boyfriend Stealer to boot! Hope to see it more often, though it'll probably need a new name now.

phpBB [video]

Seriously, WWE, do not split them up. I'm still paranoid about that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:48 pm

I was waiting for Billie to say "HEY KAYLA!" :lol:

Also, c'mon, Tom. That's a sit-out spinebuster.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:09 am

It's definitely meant to be a sit-out uranage. It's always been her tribute to The Rock, with a twist.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:27 am

Ah might be because she planted it in front of her that's why I thought it was a spinebuster. Never really thought of the initial position of the move there. :shifty:

Takeover felt okay. I think having a crowd helped, but I feel like it didn't deliver overall. Didn't particularly like the cinematic match between Cole and Dream, and both Lee/Gargano and the triple threat main event felt sloppy. Although I did like the triple threat Women's Championship main event the most. And again, Charlotte didn't get pinned. But at least Io Shirai is finally the champion, so maybe she signed a contract extension with WWE. The moonsault finish looked like Io landed her knee on Rhea Ripley's face.

Meanwhile, there's a rumor that Adam Cole won't renew with WWE when his contract expires in August. His girlfriend Britt Baker, who's a talent in AEW, talked about the possibility of Cole being in AEW.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:37 pm

Since Rhea took the fall, she might as well have still been the champion. I'd have thought the whole point of having Charlotte in NXT was to put over some talent, not just pad her accomplishments.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:10 pm

Looks like Charlotte didn't even appear on NXT today. Rhea should not have lost at Wrestlemania.

Speaking of Io:
phpBB [video]

She looks genuinely happy. All we need now is for Kairi to get the Smackdown championship and have a joshi triple threat at Survivor Series.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:48 pm

I reckon Sasha Banks is going to end up with the belt after splitting from Bayley. It's a waste of a build if they don't go ahead with that feud. And speaking of Sasha, she and Peyton had a nice sequence on RAW.

phpBB [video]

Sasha/Bayley stans on Reddit are of course talking up how those two are allegedly "carrying everyone else", downplaying the extensive experience that The IIconics have on the independent scene (and the fact they were trained by Madison Eagles, who'd have a claim to being the best worker in the company if she went there tomorrow). If they end up winning the titles at Backlash - which I hope they do - that toxic fanbase is going to get ugly.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:07 pm

I really hope the Iiconics win the belts back, with my only problem is that Bayley and Sasha just won them from Alexa and Nikki. If they do put the belts back to the Iiconics, imagine how the story goes full circle when the Iiconics first won the titles which also were from Bayley and Sasha.

Also, if the Bayley-Sasha storyline is still going to happen, they're really drawing it out.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:48 pm

That's why I think it's time to go ahead with it, with losing the belts being the catalyst. Sasha and Bayley should be in the singles/main event scene of the women's division anyway, while teams like the IIconics, BlissCross, and hopefully a few others that can form, head up the midcard by feuding over the tag titles.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:28 pm

Styles-Bryan this past Smackdown was a great match, easily could have been a PPV match instead. But I think they moved it to TV instead of Backlash because it will definitely overshadow Edge and Orton's "greatest wrestling match ever."

I am really a fan of the new design for the Intercontinental Championship. You can tell it's designed by the same people who designed the NXT belts. My only gripe is the use of a seemingly basic sans serif font.

So yeah, my bet for Backlash is for The IIconics to win. They can probably book it with Sasha turning on Bayley to restart the feud again.

EDIT: It's a bit distracting to see some of the NXT talents used on TV as show audience. Shotzi's green hair stands out from the crowd. You can also easily pick out Kacy Catanzaro, Aliyah, Xia Li, Tian Bing, Erik Bugez, and Malcolm Bivens.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:41 pm

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a nagging thought that Sasha and Bayley retain in a way that causes The IIconics to split and BlissCross to brag that they're still the best example of friendship in the division. I just wouldn't put it past WWE to drop the ball like that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:45 pm

Guessing they're going for that really slow burn with Sasha and Bayley. At least they didn't split The IIconics.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic