Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby Lean on Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:17 pm

Ah and I filmed the belt and "took" some beauty shots. It's shot with my phone so it was shaky, but Premiere's stabilizer did wonders on most of the shots.

phpBB [video]

Originally, I wanted to get the Undisputed WWE Championship replica. But the one they have in stock is the original, smaller, Undisputed V1. By the time this NXT belt got here, WWE Shop announced the bigger, Undisputed V2 (with the thick black borders, the belt Eddie held) is now available. Damn it.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:05 pm

Mike Chioda is now in AEW, too.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:50 pm

In today's WTF news, a man was caught attempting to break into Sonya DeVille's house to kidnap her
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:55 pm

That's seriously messed up. Hope he gets a long jail stint.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:40 pm

That's really creepy and messed up. Now they changed the stipulation to a "loser leaves WWE" match which may lead up to Sonya going away for a while after that stalker ordeal.

Meanwhile, I signed up for the Thunderdome for SummerSlam, I don't know how this would turn out. :lol:

And this video package for Lee vs Kross is just *chef's kiss* magnificent:

phpBB [video]
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:58 pm

Yeah, it does sound like it's setting her up for a break, which is more than understandable. If I were in her position, I'd be looking to move, let alone recharge my batteries.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:36 am

Takeover was a good show, not a fan of Kross winning as he does not appeal to me. But it looks like Triple H has found a new pet project. Cole and Pat's match was unexpectedly great with the right outcome, and NXT UK is coming back in a few weeks.

And I know it's all a work, too, but the latest UUDD championship event was so hilarious.

SUMMERSLAM PREDICTIONS!

Mandy Rose vs Sonya Deville
Street Profits (C) vs Garza/Andrade
Apollo Crews (C) vs MVP
Seth Rollins vs Dominik Mysterio
Bayley (C) vs Asuka
Sasha Banks (C) vs Asuka
Braun Strowman (C) vs The Fiend
Drew McIntyre (C) vs Randy Orton

I think the Women's Championship matches are a bit tough to call because one of Bayley and Sasha would definitely lose her belt. With Bayley going first, I predict that she retains via Sasha shenanigans. She would then return the favor to Sasha later in her title defense but would cost her the match, creating tension between the two. I also predict that should one of them lose to Asuka, they're sure to lose the tag belts on Payback.

I like Drew's run as champion, but the poor guy may not make it until crowds are fully allowed back in attendance. Orton winning may lead up to a Wrestlemania match with Edge with the title on the line.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:22 pm

That NA ladder match was cool, with a bunch of unique spots I've never seen before.

Not sure if I like the huge push Kross got right away but if he follows in the footsteps of the others given the same opportunity he should be okay. Lee inexplicably losing seemingly just after winning all the belts seemed like a precursor to a call up which it was

What do you guys think about the Thunder done? It's a lot like the NBA crowd, but it allows them to move into a bigger space to do the things they are used to doing pre COVID
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:38 pm

I think the Thunderdome is a neat idea but is very problematic to moderate. There were some people who were able to put stuff on-screen that they know WWE wouldn't allow: I saw a huge Pikachu plushie on Summerslam, while others report a photo of Chris Benoit on one screen, a KKK rally on another, and a beheading video on some other screen. I registered to be in the Thunderdome for Summerslam, but it's just that: a registration. I think you still have to come in earlier to beat everyone else that registered to have a place in the virtual audience. There was a given call time to click the link they sent where your audio, mic and camera would be set up.

From what I read, a random wrestler would greet the ones who did make it, reminding them to how they should behave.

I haven't seen Keith Lee's Raw debut, but I've read that there were a lot of changes: his gear, his goatee and his theme were all gone. For his theme, I've read that it has something to do with the WWE paying rights to CFO$.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:40 am

Are they not working with CFO$ anymore? I thought they have done a decent job
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:26 am

Yeah I think they parted ways late last year. I also thought they've done a great job, even though some of the fans complain too much because they're not Jim Johnston.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:34 am

That's a shame, as they created a bunch of iconic themes for all the stars in the past couple of years. I can't see people like Sasha, Bayley, or Nakamura going back to their original themes because of this and that's a shame. I wonder if Becky and Charlotte will have new ones when they return. Does Seth still use the burn it down one?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:19 pm

It's a shame that a handful of edgelords are trying to ruin the Thunderdome with that gross and childish nonsense. Look, we've all been (or still are) dissatisfied with WWE to varying degrees, but that stuff is gross and immature. Also, while there are many criticisms we can make of WWE, the goalposts do get shifted a lot. No fans? "This isn't good, wrestling needs fans." Using wrestlers as a makeshift crowd? "This isn't a real crowd!" Doing something cool and a bit futuristic-looking, allowing fans to virtually attend (as real sports have been doing)? "This looks dumb, like a Zoom chat!" Whatever they do, they can't win, and that's not a fair standard to hold anyone to.

It's telling that when WWE does something it's bad, but when AEW does it, it's good. Of course, that also speaks to the importance of having fostered goodwill, which AEW has, and WWE has squandered (especially over the past decade). It's the best they can do in this time, as they can't let fans back in. Mind you, AEW is doing just that - letting a limited amount of fans in to future shows - and they're not getting the backlash WWE no doubt would be. Again, I'm not about to argue that WWE hasn't made mistakes with its product/business dealings that turn people away and squander goodwill, or suggest that AEW is evil and horrible, but there is a clear double standard when it comes to stuff like this, where both companies are in the same boat and like real sports leagues, are trying to get around the lack of crowds as best they can.

Anyway, childish antics from egdelords aside, I like the Thunderdome concept. It's making the best of the situation and it's an interesting, futuristic visual. I did like the makeshift crowds of wrestlers though, with the pounding on the plexiglass and more organic crowd noise. On top of all that, WWE has some decent storylines going at the moment, though it'll take them a while to wash away the stink of some of the bad angles and booking of months and years past. Personally I'm not really a fan of RAW Underground, so there are misses along with the recent hits as well, at least for me.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:41 pm

Andrew wrote:It's telling that when WWE does something it's bad, but when AEW does it, it's good.

That's true. If AEW does something goofy with their main event talent like Jericho, it's "reinventing the character". When WWE does it, it's "burying the talent". As much as I'd like AEW to succeed to keep WWE on their toes, their fanbase could be one of the most toxic I've ever seen. They won't "bring the WWE down", not this soon. And I just find it very petty if they're throwing shade, because that really feels like Bischoff WCW to me. Let the product speak for itself, they have the talent.

[Q] wrote:Does Seth still use the burn it down one?

No he's changed to a theme similar to Bayley's current one. Now that you said it, Charlotte and Becky may have changed themes when they return.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:46 pm

The tribalism is quite obvious, but again, goodwill does go a long way, and AEW definitely has that over WWE right now.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:04 pm

Roman Reigns now a heel?
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:29 pm

Probably a smart move to try it out when there are no crowds. It's overdue, and I think it's got a lot of potential moving forward.

I have to admit that a year in, I don't care for The Fiend. I'm all for out-there gimmicks - my all-time favourite wrestler is The Undertaker, after all - but his character and angles are really only written with him in mind. They do nothing for anyone else, and an antagonist that isn't credible unless they win all the time isn't that interesting or good for storytelling overall. That's basically Brock Lesnar's booking, only with horror and zany creepiness. Someone over on Reddit called it a selfish gimmick because of the way it works, and I think that's a perfect way of putting it, and a big reason why I'm not a fan. Also, while monster characters such as Taker and Kane had good matches in their day, I can't say that I really enjoy Bray's matches that much. If a storyline and character can't hold up when the bell rings, then it doesn't matter how intricate and unique they are. And again, it does very little for anyone else on the roster.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:55 am

I agree about Bray. His character is interesting and gets ratings but they book him like Brock Lesnar to the point where it's possible to go "too far" in a match lol

Finally after all these years we get Roman as a heel which I think will work. He won't be a cool heel that people will still cheer, I think he will be more like the Miz where you just love to hate him
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:45 pm

And at the same time, I think when the time comes, he'll be able to quite organically turn face again. Hopefully this ends the underdog booking for him, too. Face or heel, he should be a cocky, charismatic arse-kicker, not an underdog.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:52 am

Him teaming with Heyman ruled out his involvement with Retribution for me.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:41 pm

And so, the only actual team in the women's tag division continues to job out, while a makeshift team wins the tag titles. Don't get me wrong, that finish with the double submission was unique and awesome, but it sucks to see The IIconics booked like jobbers in the division they should be bolstering.

On the plus side, the title is off The Fiend quickly. Unfortunately, it'll continue to be a selfish gimmick in general.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:05 am

WWE and Mauro Ranallo parted ways. The cody_ear.gifs start appearing again. What a toxic fan base.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:36 am

Considering I've been seeing more and more dislike for him - his energetic style with pop culture references seems to have rubbed a vocal contingent of fans the wrong way - I'm surprised people want him in AEW. I think he's a great commentator, but that does seem like an increasing unpopular opinion these days.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:44 am

But yeah, not everyone has to go to AEW. I kind of get it when Renee was announced to go, because her husband works there, but come on now.

Thoughts on Payback? I... fell asleep past midway. :| I thought Shayna's finish on Bayley and Sasha was amazing.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:44 am

They just split up The IIconics. I hope it's part of a longer story, because otherwise, that is monumentally dumb.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic