Games you're playing right now, and my freetime's demise

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Games you're playing right now, and my freetime's demise

Postby bowdown on Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:54 am

Off topic but it really pisses me off when reviewers or commenters on a game or movie indirectly say it has a sad ending. Fucking idiots. It still ruins it even if they dont give details.
bowdown

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:29 am

Yeah, that kind of description is still specific enough to be a spoiler in many cases.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:37 pm

Death Stranding is taking up a lot of my time at the moment. The gameplay is so simple, yet for some reason, really satisfying. One of the things I find really interesting about it is how your inventory can really affect your mobility. And you can't really cut corners when it comes to jumping off higher platforms. Case in point:

phpBB [video]

Aside from that, I'm actually playing MLB the Show 19 a lot more than NBA 2K20. My Switch Lite is currently collecting some dust, but I mainly purchased it as a travel console anyway.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:53 am

Been playing the free COD Warzone and updating the library on my SNES classic with additional NES, Genesis, GBA, and GBC games.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby deihatein on Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:59 am

Kenny wrote:MLB the Show 19

I bought this since it was on sale. Coming from a country without any presence of baseball, I became fascinated with baseball from watching an anime about it (lol).

I know how baseball is played (in terms of how the offence and defense work) but there are certain rules that I don't know about and some strategies that might not be seen by a casual audience like myself, so hopefully playing The Show broaden my knowledge about baseball.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:21 am

During my modding and play of NBA 2K and Live titles, I have been watching my brother play Final Fantasy 7: The Remake

While FF15 was a disappointment overall, FF7 The Remake is unbelievably well done. Enjoyable to watch and listen to the soundtrack.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Mon May 04, 2020 3:45 am

Took me 17 years and a global pandemic but I finally beat Midnight Club II... It's my favorite game in the series and probably my favorite arcade racing game ever due to nostalgia, great driving mechanics and epic maps, but holy shit is it hard. The first two cities didn't give me much trouble this time around, but the final city and the world champion series are just brutal. Probably the hardest game I've ever completed.
Lamrock

Postby [Q] on Thu May 07, 2020 5:19 pm

Hooked on Cities Skylines as it is a free game this month on PSN. I loved playing SimCity and SimCity 2000 asa kid so this definitely taps into that. It's cool to see where they have taken the genre. I remember picking up a new SimCity when they rebooted it years ago but it wasn't that great of a game

Failed the first game because I was pumping water where I was dumping sewage lol and then ran out of money before I could rearrange it all
Failed again when I was passing clean water through industrial areas and landfills and people were getting sick. But I managed to reload to a point just before the storm and was able to fix it
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Thu May 14, 2020 7:39 am

[Q] wrote:Hooked on Cities Skylines as it is a free game this month on PSN. I loved playing SimCity and SimCity 2000 asa kid so this definitely taps into that. It's cool to see where they have taken the genre. I remember picking up a new SimCity when they rebooted it years ago but it wasn't that great of a game

Failed the first game because I was pumping water where I was dumping sewage lol and then ran out of money before I could rearrange it all
Failed again when I was passing clean water through industrial areas and landfills and people were getting sick. But I managed to reload to a point just before the storm and was able to fix it

You and me both, man. This game is crazy addictive. My first town fell victim to the sewage blunder, my second to me de-zoning all the industrial zones in favor of offices and stores without many ways to get supplies in. Part of me wants to start a new town, but that's quite the time commitment so might reload an old save and hope to apply what I've learned.

Have you gotten good at using the landscaping tools? I have trouble making that work for me
Lamrock

Postby [Q] on Thu May 14, 2020 11:50 am

I've only used the landscaping minimally, only when I really need it. It's only been a handful of times. Once when I was building a highway cloverleaf it said slope was too much so I had to flatten the area out. Also, I just cut an area out of a small bay in order to get a cargo hub at the right angle because the route wasn't connecting.

I managed to hit 100k and trying to the Eden Project. I already had enough for the space elevator but I am halfway to 10k office buildings to get to the Eden Project. Not a whole lot of space left in my city so I basically have to lay office every chance I get.

My girlfriend is not much of a gamer but we had played Overcooked 2 with her roommate. I went through my purchased game list and found the original Overcooked was purchased for free at some point in time so we have been playing that. Also she happens to like old school 2d racers like Horizon Chase Turbo and I just found out I got it last year when it was free
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu May 14, 2020 2:06 pm

I could never get into SimCity, but I did enjoy Afterlife by LucasArts.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Fri May 15, 2020 10:39 am

Wow, if I ever make a Vaporwave music video I'll look to that game. :lol:
[Hyperize]

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat May 16, 2020 7:25 am

I bought a copy of Rugrats PS1 off eBay and there was a copy of NBA Live 05 in the instruction booklet lmao.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Sat May 16, 2020 11:50 am

Score!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Mon May 25, 2020 10:46 am

Picked up a game called Maneater on the weekend. It's a game where you play as a shark and you basically create as much mayhem as you can. It's surprisingly more difficult than I thought it would be - humans having guns and crocodiles weren't something I initially accounted for. It's actually a pretty awesome game.

I'd describe it as a combination of Ecco the Dolphin and Goat Simulator.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon May 25, 2020 1:33 pm

That sounds hilariously awesome.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Sun May 31, 2020 2:50 pm

Closing in on my first Platinum trophy (got sooo close with Bloodborne but couldn't beat the chalice dungeons) with Cities Skylines. I've gotten all the monuments and weathered the storm keeping my city going through a two year crime wave, an economic depression, the garbage workers going on strike and an ultra conservative mayor lowering all the taxes to 4%. Now I just need to have 95% happiness for a few years, and play for 1001 nights. The former shouldn't be too hard, but the latter I may have to just let the game idle for some time, which really sucks but I've already come so far...
Lamrock

Postby [Q] on Sun May 31, 2020 6:20 pm

Man, I saw you collecting those ones I didn't have the heart to do and I commend you for sticking with it because some of those are not easy

Meanwhile, my sister got me back into Civilization VI after she got it free on Epic. Luckily I have had time to play as everyone knows it requires a lot of it
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Sun May 31, 2020 8:08 pm

I really liked the trophies where you had to sabotage the city for a while. It kind of works as a scenario mode for the game. The monuments kinda trivialize it though. It was a hassle to build them all but it felt cheap and unrealistic so I got rid of them after getting those trophies and literally everyone left due to the sharp decline in land value. :lol: Fortunately I have a few million dollars and everything built so I can just turn off all the services, rezone everything and gradually get everything back to normal. In my head-canon I guess the monuments made people sick like the 5G conspiracy theory so they all had to evacuate
Lamrock

Postby [Q] on Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:23 pm

I did like the challenge of some of the things you had to do but I didn't want to spend too much time on them so I skipped them if it seemed too hard

The trophy you got for unlocking all the buildings was an ultra rare and remembering some of the building challenges in the game I was like hell no on that one lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:32 am

I got lucky with the unlock all buildings trophy because I never got the Eiffel Tower, which requires 30,000 squares of industrial (could never even get to 20k). Maybe that was a DLC building. Either way, all I have left now is 1,001 nights, which I'm gonna get by letting an empty map run on full speed. Not the best use of electricity but what are you gonna do
Lamrock

Postby [Hyperize] on Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:24 pm

Ninjala - free-to-play Switch game that is like hybrid of Splatoon and Phantasy Star (in that it's much more layered and Japanese-influenced).

Rayman Revolution - classic 3D platformer that somehow slipped under my radar all these years... really digging the whimsy/charm. Good luck keeping track of all the different versions of this game and their differences.

SpongeBob Rehydrated - Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie and DK64 all rolled into one... classic! At 30 bucks you cannot go wrong.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Hyperize] on Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:34 am

NBA Live 10... recreated the 2007 Nets/Cavs playoff rosters for some nostalgic fun. If you know how to play this game correctly, the animations are so fluid and look great by today's standards. I get why they scrapped the engine, but they should've just built off it.

Shitty iPhone quality, but look at this possession:

phpBB [video]

This is a thing of beauty. I'm just going to town with Vince and these beautiful animations; that is exactly how it would've played out irl (maybe without the J Kidd trick pass :lol:).

I should break out my capture card and do a full game with highlights.

Also, that audio is how loud my 360 is lmao.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:26 pm

I captured some video and screenshots of NBA Live 10 myself over the weekend. The game really does look great for its time, and I agree. They should've continued to build off of it. They may still be behind NBA 2K even if they had, but I'm sure they'd be in much better shape.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:38 am

Are you planning on doing an article on it or something?
[Hyperize]

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic