Dexter

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Dexter

Postby cyanide on Mon May 12, 2008 7:08 am

Watched the entire season 1 for Dexter, and it's one of the best seasons of any tv show I've seen. Ever.

It's about a serial killer who kills serial killers, but it's with great writing, a pretty good cast, and great character development with unexpected twists and turns. Looking forward to season 2 on DVD as I don't have Showtime (or HBO) so if anybody's watching season 2, please don't spoil anything for the love of god.

Anybody enjoy season 1? Hate it? Discuss.
Last edited by cyanide on Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
if you were killed tomorrow, i WOULDNT GO 2 UR FUNERAL CUZ ID B N JAIL 4 KILLIN THE MOTHA FUCKER THAT KILLED U!
......|..___________________, ,
....../ `---______----|]
...../==o;;;;;;;;______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//
WE TRUE HOMIES
WE RIDE TOGETHER
WE DIE TOGETHER
cyanide
Dat steatopygous

Postby Andreas Dahl on Mon May 12, 2008 7:38 am

The series is indeed fantastic (y)

I did enjoy the first season a bit more than the second though. I'm not saying it's bad in any way, it's just that season 1 was fantastic, and season 2 just slightly less..

Highly recommended show..
Andreas Dahl

Postby [Q] on Mon May 12, 2008 8:53 am

Season 2 finished up late last year on Showtime and that was the first season I saw. Great show.
I recently finished season 1 and I thought that was way better as far as character development. i liked how they conveyed the fact that Dexter has trouble fitting in as he searches for someone, anyone out there that knows how he feels. However, I there were moments in season 2 that I really liked as well

I can't wait for season 3 later this year.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Mon May 12, 2008 1:43 pm

Me & Q like a lot of the same types of shows.

Michael C. Hall is kickass. I had the opportunity of watching him in Six Feet Under before he began with Dexter, if you see SFU and then watch Dexter, you become an even BIGGER fan.

I call him televisions Matt Damon.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Mon May 12, 2008 6:10 pm

and i didn't really wanna spoil it, and i don't think it's much of a spoiler, but what i meant earlier about what I liked in season 2 was

[spoiler]you get to see that bitch's titties quite often[/spoiler]

They were some crazy last couple of episodes of season 1.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Colin on Mon May 19, 2008 1:37 pm

Really liked it. Although there were a few times where the overblown nature of the show and the super dramatized depiction of Miami got a little excessive. Especially since the last drama I watched before that was The Wire, the most realistic thing I've ever seen in my life. That is the best TV series of all time. And it's not even close. Everything else just pales in comparison.

But yeah, Dexter is sweet. One thing I didn't like is the recaps of previous storylines at the beginning of each show. I watched them in season one and it made all the plot twists super easy to call. They'd be at episode 8 and show a bit from episode 3 in the preview, and know you knew that it was going to be coming back. I skipped them in season 2, and it made the show a lot more watchable.
C#
Pretty Flaco
Colin

Postby Andreas Dahl on Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:50 am

Should we make this the general Dexter thread, rather than season 1 only?

Anywho, episode 1 has leaked onto the intraweb. Has anyone seen it?
I won't spoil anything, but I thought it was a great episode. Love the ending. Seems like yet another great season..
Andreas Dahl

Postby Jackal on Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:35 am

I'm at the 18 minute mark, I just don't feel like watching anymore so I'll catch it a bit later or tomorrow.

I gotta take a shit now.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:37 am

wow. i must look this up. i'll probably comment on it tomorrow.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Joe' on Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:47 am

I think I'm gonna wait for this one... Quality doesn't look really good even if the filesize is bigger. Also, there seem to be no seeds on any of the torrents (even on private trackers). I can't even get to 150 KB/s.
Dear Old World, you represent everything that's wrong...
Joe'
Sir Psycho Sexy

Postby Jackal on Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:52 am

It's the same quality as TV Rips. Don't let the screener tag fool you.

I got a bunch of seeds off of EZTV, odd you're not hitting 150kb.
Jackal

Postby cyanide on Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:35 am

Andreas Dahl wrote:Should we make this the general Dexter thread, rather than season 1 only?

Just did :)

Watched all of season 2 last week. Thought it was really good, quite different, but still good.

I hear season 3 is close, so I'm probably gonna wait till next year so I can avoid spoilers and watch the DVD versions whenever it comes out.
if you were killed tomorrow, i WOULDNT GO 2 UR FUNERAL CUZ ID B N JAIL 4 KILLIN THE MOTHA FUCKER THAT KILLED U!
....../ `---______----|]
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//
WE TRUE HOMIES
WE RIDE TOGETHER
WE DIE TOGETHER
cyanide
Dat steatopygous

Postby [Q] on Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:37 pm

i would never be able to wait on a new season to catch it on DVD. that's called self torture
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Joe' on Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:48 pm

Okay, I just finished watching the Season 3 premiere and please let me say, oh my God, it was awesome. So fucking unpredictable.

I'll stop here to prevent any potential spoilers, but Cy, don't watch the premiere if you wanna wait for the DVDs. This shit is addictive.

Jackal wrote:It's the same quality as TV Rips.

It's not quite the same. It was ripped with the DivX codec, not Xvid or H.264 as usual. That alone makes it lose quality. Plus it's in 4:3 format (probably ripped off a VHS tape,) so when you set the proportions to 16:9 (or 16:10 in my case) on the media player, the picture looks stretched. Audio's pretty much the same, though (128 kbps MP3 vs. the usual 132 kbps AAC,) no noticeable difference.

I'm slowly upgrading all my HDTV rips with 720p rips too, so I'll be getting the pilot again when it comes out on Sept. 25th.
Joe'
Sir Psycho Sexy

Postby [Q] on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:38 am

great first episode with new interesting plots to add to the story. if i remember right, the first 2 were based off of the books so the new season is creative thinking.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:26 am

No, only the first season was based off of the books, wasn't it?
Jackal

Postby cyanide on Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:37 am

Jackal wrote:No, only the first season was based off of the books, wasn't it?

Not sure, as I haven't read the books, but from wikipedia, there's 4 novel titles:
Darkly Dreaming Dexter
Dearly Devoted Dexter
Dexter in the Dark
Dexter by Design

As to which book(s) goes with which season, I have no clue.
....../ `---______----|]
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//
WE TRUE HOMIES
WE RIDE TOGETHER
WE DIE TOGETHER
cyanide
Dat steatopygous

Postby Jackal on Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:17 am

Much of the second season had little to do with the second novel, Dearly Devoted Dexter, although they both shared a subplot concerning a suspicious Doakes following Dexter, both concluding in Doakes being 'taken care of' by another killer to prevent Dexter from breaking his moral code.

The first season really followed the book (tried), the second season took elements and the rest was written around it.
Jackal

Postby Null17 on Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:38 am

Just watched the frirst episode last night. Interesting new conflicts.
Null17

Postby [Q] on Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:28 pm

what i am pissed about is that fucking Rita never shows her titties. at least that crazy British bitch showed them like every episode. throw me a bone here.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Null17 on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Yeah, The best we got was Dexter cupping 'em. I think we got a lil bit of ass action before. Am I right?
Null17

Postby [Q] on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:17 pm

anybody been following the new season? some crazy twists at the beginning of the season, wonder what's the angle with the new guy
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Null17 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:11 pm

I've been watching it. I'm so amazed how this show is so consistent with the quality. I'm always looking forward to the next episode.
Null17

Postby Jackal on Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:52 pm

I don't like the Jimmy Smits guy as an actor, so it's kind of annoying for me to watch it.

But yeah, I'm keeping up with it. I must say though, I'm sort of losing interest, I don't want to see a domesticated Dexter, and that's the role he's trying to fit in to.

On another note, I read Showtime greenlit two more seasons of Dear Dexter.
Jackal

Postby Joe' on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:30 pm

If you had watched the preview for next Sunday's episode (which aired right after the last episode) you'd already know Dexter isn't exactly going to become "domesticated," not for a while at least.

I don't particularly enjoy Jimmy Smits' overly forced Cuban accent but other than that he's a pretty good actor. I'm disappointed Remar (Harry) hasn't made an appearance yet, though.
Dear Old World, you represent everything that's wrong...
Joe'
Sir Psycho Sexy

Next

Return to Off-Topic