Fallout 3

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Fallout 3

Postby Lean on Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:41 pm

Having played the first Fallout games, I think the newest installment swerves out from the classic RPG-style the Fallout series has been renowned for. It became a shooter methinks.

Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Gameplay video:
phpBB [video]

Official site here.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby el badman on Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:17 am

I've been following this since Bethesda announced they'd take over the series. I never played the old ones but it seems like those who did will mostly be disappointed. It will basically be Oblivion meets Mad Max. I couldn't be happier about it, Oblivion is one of my favorite games ever, but some people will certainly be pissed that the Fallout spirit was kinda left behind...No doubt it's gonna be a huge success though.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:23 am

I've never played the first two, are they any good?
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby el badman on Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:29 am

It created a real die-hard community of fans, and from what I've seen, it was definitely something that could only be PC at that time, since it's particularly explicit on violence, drug use,... They apparently had to tone it down for this one, which is why so many fans are freaking out right now.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Lean on Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:57 pm

It set the pace for the dying RPG games for the PC in the late 90's. Prior to the release of BioWare's (which was still connected with Interplay that time) Baldur's Gate.

Fallout 3 could have became a shooting game more than an RPG game that its predecessors were known. The graphics is stunning though.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Streetplayer on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:08 am

Pdub wrote:I've never played the first two, are they any good?

jepp old but very good Games (Y)
Streetplayer

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:13 am

Just saw a a bit of first person gameplay from G4, the game looks awesome.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby el badman on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:04 am

For the Aussies who were planning to play the game, it was initially supposed to be banned in Australia because if its drugs/violence contents, but it will apparently be partially censored instead. Here's a link about what will be cut:

http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/898/898386p1.html
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby el badman on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:19 am

Release date announced: October 28th.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54303
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby benji on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:09 am

el badman wrote:For the Aussies who were planning to play the game, it was initially supposed to be banned in Australia because if its drugs/violence contents, but it will apparently be partially censored instead. Here's a link about what will be cut:

Update:
Speaking to Edge, Bethesda has explained what it calls a “misconception” regarding the classification of Fallout 3 in the Australian region. Edge has also learned that due to concerns and issues raised in the process of international classification, Fallout 3 will not contain real world drug references in any territory.

Fallout 3 was originally refused classification by the Australian Office of Film and Literature Classification, citing among other reason the in-game use of “Morphine” in order to ignore limb pain. According to the Office’s guidelines, “material promoting or encouraging proscribed drug use” is refused classification.
While it has been assumed that these changes would only be in place in the Australian release of the game, Edge has been told by Bethesda vice president of PR and marketing Peter Hines that there will be no differences between the version that releases in Australia and the versions that will release in other territories, including Europe and the US.

Calling the idea of an Australia-specific version of the game a “misconception,” Hines told us, “We want to make sure folks understand that the Australian version of Fallout 3 is identical to both the UK and North American versions in every way, on every platform.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/censors ... -3-changes
benji

Postby diddy on Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:14 pm

great game! i wanna try it!
only god can judge me
My graphic thread My Recent Blog Entry
Ricky Roma from Miami Heat forums wrote:" Celtic fans: We lead the league in age, fat aszes, O'neals, senior citizens, and acting! Don't mess with us, cause we got rondo!! YOU HEAR ME!! RONDO!!!!"

2pac wrote:through every dark night, there's a bright day after that, so no matter how hard it get, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
diddy
Miami Heat starting PG

Re: Fallout 3

Postby Lean on Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:32 pm

Played the first few quests of Fallout 3, and got out of Vault 101. Are you really going to travel the entire game-map by foot?
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby el badman on Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:14 am

Nah, like Oblivion you can fast travel to a location once you've discovered it.
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:23 pm

As I mentioned in the "games you're currently playing" thread, I picked this one up the other day after getting hooked on it after a few hours playing it at my cousin's place. So far I've found it more addictive than GTA IV, which is surprising to me as I'm a big fan of the GTA series. I never played the original games so I can't make any comparisons but regardless I don't really have any complaints about the game. The lack of a linear structure and all the tangents and optional quests and goals sometimes make it a bit difficult to know if you're really progressing or going anywhere but that kind of adds to the atmosphere of the game and serves as an interesting change along with the good/bad/neutral approach.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:11 pm

Andrew wrote:The lack of a linear structure and all the tangents and optional quests and goals sometimes make it a bit difficult to know if you're really progressing or going anywhere

Just like real life. Now that's realism.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:10 pm

Only in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, exactly.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:28 pm

It's amazing how addictive this game is...its very hard to put down. It's one of those games where you say to yourself "OK, I'll just play a little longer until I accomplish X" and then you end up playing it for another hour or two. Picked up the Fat Man and finished a couple more quests including "Follow in his footsteps" and the West family/the Family saga. I've started on Three Dog's quest but I thought I'd better give it a break for a while.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:14 am

Read somewhere that "to fully enjoy the game you need to get all the side quests done." Plus there are a lot of vaults to visit.

Great that you have the Fatman. One of them great stuff.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:08 pm

I just found another one, currently stuck in the bowels of Vault 106. It wouldn't matter so much except for a newly developed addiction to beer and a supply that's running out, so I need to successfully backtrack and get out so I can fast travel somewhere and get cured of the addiction.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby el badman on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:59 am

After countless hours on this, I finally uninstalled it, getting ready for some social life again...

I actually got a glitch with a mod that raises the leveling cap to 30. It worked fine in my first walkthrough, but it made the game crash every single time during my 2nd one (when trying to reach level 21), so I tried playing without the mod, but it just felt weird and not RPG-like not to gain XP points or to level up anymore, so I decided to stop...Plus I already had all the best weapons and armor, not much of a challenge anymore.
I know there are locations I haven't visited and missions I haven't done, but oh well, at least I can try to finish other games now.
Big :applaud: and :bowdown: to Bethesda for the amazing gaming experience though.
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Patr1ck on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:11 am

I did the same thing with Oblivion, which is also a Bethesda released game. I did a bunch of side quests, got some good weapons and combat became too easy, so I went straight through the main quests, and never played it again after that. Second time around in Fallout 3 I am playing a female, and I am avoiding Megaton for right now, already at level 5 and I am going to attempt to max out lockpick, sneak, science, speech, barter, and repair. Going to be more of an antagonist. For instance, I found a wandering wasteland doctor, traded some supplies with what little caps and items I had, then shot her in the head, and took the rest of her meds.

I wonder if this game contains the same glitch as oblivion, the one where you could duplicate items by shooting an arrow into them. I wouldn't know what to use as an arrow, though.

Anyone disappointed by some of the ruins? It's like in fallout's world, computers never got any better than they were in the 80's and the jukebox's are old school.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby el badman on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:31 am

I wonder if this game contains the same glitch as oblivion, the one where you could duplicate items by shooting an arrow into them. I wouldn't know what to use as an arrow, though.

Haven't heard from anything similar in F3 :wink:
Anyone disappointed by some of the ruins? It's like in fallout's world, computers never got any better than they were in the 80's and the jukebox's are old school.

Well, it gets pretty repetitive after a while, but I like that 50's vibe that's in almost anything you see and hear. Reminds me of what Bioshock did as well.

I was playing a chick too in my 2nd walkthrough, slaughtering anyone on sight, but I gotta say that the 1st time was actually more interesting, playing as a good guy instead (except for the blowing up Megaton part which never gets old)...So that, plus having the coolest weapons/armor and not being able to gain points/level up anymore, I figured I should just stop...
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:00 pm

I'm tempted to start over again, now that I've got a better idea of what I'm doing and how to get places.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:26 am

That's the whole idea, to explore and figure things out as you go. I finished my first run without exploring half of the wasteland. I saw mutants in the ending scene that I never even encountered during the game. I just want to stroll through my hometown, Falls Church, and declare it as mine. They need some Battlefield mode where you can just take over a section and colonize it. Add some SimCity/Spore elements so that the land mutates and evolves.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:37 am

I think it's also prudent to have a couple of recent saves on hand in case you need to restore from an earlier point without backtracking too much...or try something just to see what the consequences were. This time I tried to help Butch while escaping the vault and when he started abusing me because I couldn't save her...I killed him. :twisted:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Next

Return to Off-Topic