Dear LiveJournal,

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Dear LiveJournal,

Postby benji on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:25 pm

It was discussed, starting here with the best player in NBA history: viewtopic.php?p=1366025#p1366025

So this thread is for random talk.

Your directive from our admins?
it's probably best if we go with a separate one like the day-to-day conversation/comments thread we have in the NBA section. Central threads can be problematic but they're also handy catch-alls for daily chit chat.

more general conversation, what you did today, plans for the weekend and other quick anecdotes.

http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=79170

So let us consider the same rules from the greatest ruler of all of mankind?
the following binding rule that all must obey or ELSE DEATH. If more than three people (i.e. FOUR) start talking about an active topic IT MUST RECEIVE ITS OWN THREAD.

OR ELSE DEATH. DEATH BY SNU SNU!

GO FORTH MINIONS.
benji

Re: Dear LiveJournal,

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:52 pm

Solid rule, if this thread is to work as intended without stifling the rest of the general section then that's what will have to happen. I'd suggest that to constitute talking about an active topic, posts would have to consist of more than one sentence agreeing with the general sentiment. But let's see how things go. I was also thinking of going for a Douglas Adams reference in the thread title with "Life, the Universe and Everything" but that'll work too.

Anyway, to get the ball rolling...

As I mentioned in the Letting Off Steam thread, I've been slightly inconvenienced by intermittent problems with my Internet connection the past couple of weeks, which I'm hoping to have resolved by tomorrow. It's not until your connection goes out for an hour or so at a time or runs like a dog that you realise how dependent you are on it to be available and reliable whenever you need it. It's not too bad when it comes to NLSC stuff or other personal browsing as I can get that done in my own time and when I can or use the backup dialup connection or my phone if need be but when you're trying to get a job for a customer done in a timely manner, it's a nuisance.

On a more positive note, a friend of mine had a Vegas themed birthday bash last weekend. Since a fair few of us are gamers, I decided to tweak the theme a little with a Fallout: New Vegas inspired costume.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:10 pm

Pink lace thong, Hello Kitty training bra. :oops:
Jackal

Postby JaoSming on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:10 pm

Procrastination sucks.....so much homework, wedding stuff, car stuff, and spring stuff to do....
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:13 pm

Sure can be fun and relaxing though...which of course, only adds to the problem.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby el badman on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:32 am

Got a slightly different schedule that allows me to wake up later, and all of a sudden I'm kinda wondering what to do with "all" that free time in the morning. Since I've been lazy and procrastinating in the last few years, I think I'm gonna start working out every day before going to work. It's been irresponsible from me not to do it anyway, as I've had a herniated disc for about 8 years now, and stretching and crunches are the only thing that doctors recommended for me... :?
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Lean on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:37 am

She turned into a legitimate chick, and does not prefer video games now.

Flash files are limited to 40kb.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:59 am

Andrew wrote:a friend of mine had a Vegas themed birthday bash last weekend. Since a fair few of us are gamers, I decided to tweak the theme a little with a Fallout: New Vegas inspired costume.
Winning!

Jackal wrote:Pink lace thong, Hello Kitty training bra. :oops:
Pics or GTFO...on second thought, don't bother. Leave it to the imagination. :cheeky:

Lean wrote:She turned into a legitimate chick, and does not prefer video games now.
She was pretending that to tease you.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Lean on Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:17 am

She's over at the other side of the table. Does not even speak to me directly. Teh sadz. :(
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:27 am

el badman wrote:Got a slightly different schedule that allows me to wake up later, and all of a sudden I'm kinda wondering what to do with "all" that free time in the morning. Since I've been lazy and procrastinating in the last few years, I think I'm gonna start working out every day before going to work. It's been irresponsible from me not to do it anyway, as I've had a herniated disc for about 8 years now, and stretching and crunches are the only thing that doctors recommended for me... :?

Sounds good, I've been on a health/fitness kick the last couple of years that involves a 5 km run and workout every day. That exercise high is very addictive and is a good way of getting you going for the day, I highly recommend and endorse it. (Y)

shadowgrin wrote:Winning!

I was pretty pleased with the way it turned out. Basically suited up thusly:

And then added a fedora for a Pre-War Hat. I then got a little cardboard box, painted it black and printed out a screen cap of the Pip-Boy to paste on the top, then cut holes in the bottom to feed a watch band through so I could attach it to my wrist. Topped it off with a cap pistol, NCR dollars printed from screenshots from the Fallout Wiki and attaching a Nuka-Cola label I Googled to a Sprite bottle for a couple of props. Fun. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:31 am

Andrew wrote:a little cardboard box, painted it black and printed out a screen cap of the Pip-Boy to paste on the top, then cut holes in the bottom to feed a watch band through so I could attach it to my wrist. Topped it off with a cap pistol, NCR dollars printed from screenshots from the Fallout Wiki and attaching a Nuka-Cola label I Googled to a Sprite bottle for a couple of props.

pics or gtfo :?:
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby [Q] on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:03 am

just watched this video on yahoo: Cool gadgets for under $25

and now i want the ipod nano watch & cigarette lighter jumper cables. the bottle cap tripod is pretty cool too, but i have no camera. the coffee cup power inverter is pretty badass too.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:21 pm

shadowgrin wrote:pics or gtfo :?:

No pics from the party unfortunately, but here's one of the Pip-Boy:

And as I just posted in the Photography thread, a teaser photo I whipped up for some friends who liked the idea when I told them about it:

Meanwhile, still having a few problems with my connection. It's not quite as bad following a rebuild of the port at the exchange but might still need a Telstra tech to come out and check the line when it's all said and done. A bit of a nuisance but so long as it's fixed up eventually.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:36 pm

That's a huge thing to attach in a watch even if it's just a box. Did it get in the way of you downing a few beers or I assume you used your other hand for that task?
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby The X on Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:11 pm

Andrew wrote:Meanwhile, still having a few problems with my connection. It's not quite as bad following a rebuild of the port at the exchange but might still need a Telstra tech to come out and check the line when it's all said and done. A bit of a nuisance but so long as it's fixed up eventually.

That sucks. I constantly had problems with Telstra cable. They had to come out like 3 times to try & sort it out. Been all good since being on iiNet ADSL2+ (Y)
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby J@3 on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:12 pm

Went to the movies tonight. Food was good, Scream was awful. Wanted to leave after about 40 minutes tbh
J@3

Postby Kenny on Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:32 am

I'm pretty excited about next week. On Wednesday night I'm going to see Children Collide (for anyone who doesn't know them, they have that song on NBA 2k11 called "Skeleton Dance"), so that should be fun. Then Friday kick start's my Easter holiday which is going til the 2nd of May. In this time I've already scheduled a trip to Melbourne on the last 4 days and I'm going to see Irish comedian Ardal O'Hanlon (Dougal from Father Ted). Exciting times ahead :)
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:07 am

shadowgrin wrote:That's a huge thing to attach in a watch even if it's just a box. Did it get in the way of you downing a few beers or I assume you used your other hand for that task?

It actually didn't get in the way that much, indeed after a while I wasn't really that aware of it.

The X wrote:That sucks. I constantly had problems with Telstra cable. They had to come out like 3 times to try & sort it out. Been all good since being on iiNet ADSL2+ (Y)

I haven't had too many problems before now, thinking back this is the first major inconvenience I've really had. Having to get someone out three times definitely would've been frustrating.

Jae wrote:Went to the movies tonight. Food was good, Scream was awful. Wanted to leave after about 40 minutes tbh

Haven't kept up with that series since the second movie. Can you still get your money back within the first 30 minutes to an hour?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby J@3 on Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:30 am

I wish I had known that I would have walked out and spent the money on the Terminator Salvation pinball machine in the lobby
J@3

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:33 am

I could be wrong about that, it might just be an urban myth or a policy that only select theaters actually offer.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:29 am

My mom's boss, for reasons that still aren't entirely clear, bought her an iPod, set up an account, bought the entire Beatles catalog, and put it on said iPod. He gave her the login details for her iTunes account.

Last night, I helped her rip a few CDs with iTunes into her iTunes library (putting the disc in and clicking 'yes' is apparently an unfathomably complex concept). However, she can't put the files on her iPod, because her iPod is synced with a different computer and can only be synced with one computer at a time. iTunes initially gave the options of transferring the purchases, erasing everything from the iPod and syncing with her computer, or canceling. After transferring the purchases and authorising the computer, the second of five available authorisations, it still produced the same message, except this time only with the options to erase and sync or to cancel.

I've never had an iPod, so I know little to nothing about it. Is there a way to get the ripped tracks onto the iPod short of taking the CDs to her workplace and ripping them with the computer her account was initially set up on?
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby JaoSming on Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:33 am

use winamp or another program to add more songs to it, it should let you bypass the itunes shit
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:32 am

Erase and sync. It should be placebo as it will just put everything she purchased back on it, anyway. I don't have an ipod, never have, and am probably completely wrong about the practicality of what you should be able to do. DRM just makes life harder, doesn't it?
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:36 pm

JaoSming wrote:use winamp or another program to add more songs to it, it should let you bypass the itunes shit

MediaMonkey too.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby koberulz on Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:27 pm

Pdub wrote:Erase and sync. It should be placebo as it will just put everything she purchased back on it, anyway. I don't have an ipod, never have, and am probably completely wrong about the practicality of what you should be able to do.

Yep, that got the job done.

DRM just makes life harder, doesn't it?

It would seem so.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Next

Return to Off-Topic