Game of Thrones Thread (The Thread is Dark and Full of Spoilers)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Whose side are you on?

Cersei Lannister
No votes
Daenerys Targaryen
83%
White Walkers
17%

Total votes : 6

Re: Game of Thrones Thread (The Thread is Dark and Full of Spoilers)

Postby Andrew on Fri May 24, 2019 12:08 am

I was a fan as well. It was a shame not to see Jon on the throne, but I wasn't disappointed. It would've been too neat of an ending, too unrealistic given that he was forced to commit regicide and there were people still very loyal to Dany. Loved Ayra threatening Yara when she spoke out against him, though. Dany's arc could've been handled a little better, no question there, but I think there was plenty of foreshadowing. As much as she talked about breaking the wheel, with her being someone who felt she should have that power by birthright, she was still part of the problem. Her vision may come to be in the future, but ironically, it needed her gone to stand a chance. It wasn't a happy ending for them, but I think it was a good one, a fitting one.

Bran becoming king is something that has upset a lot of people. I like the reason behind it, and the fact that it seems a little obvious in hindsight, yet I also didn't expect it at all. It also raises some interesting questions about whether he was playing the game (especially since he had the power to see things others couldn't), whether he didn't want to be Lord of Winterfell because he could see that he'd be needed as king, and whether things will be better now. It was good to see a proper small council again, and it brought some levity to the ending. Tyrion's fate was appropriate as well. He survived, he has a position of power, but also regrets, responsibility, and headaches.

Sansa becoming Queen in the North is an obvious conclusion to her arc. Suffice to say, while Littlefinger didn't survive, his teachings live on through her. She didn't get the Seven (now Six) Kingdoms and the Iron Throne, but she got independence for the North and thwarted Dany by undermining her. Ayra continuing to wander is a fitting end as well. There's nothing left for her in Westeros except memories of heartache and vengeance, and now that's behind her, much as it can be.

Jon's ending is bittersweet. I actually don't think it's a big deal that his parentage ultimately didn't matter as far as making him king. Part of the point is that the hereditary monarchies have brought so much ruin and fighting to Westeros for centuries now, and the fact that he had to kill a monarch that many had pledged allegiance to subsequently put him in a precarious political position. The reveal of his true identity accomplished what it was meant to do: keep him from a happy ending with Dany and contributing to her downfall. It still mattered to the plot; it just didn't achieve anything grand for him, or on a meta level, get the ending some people wanted where he was on the throne. Still, he's essentially been exiled into freedom with the people whose trust and admiration he's earned. His story ends as it began, feeling like an outcast, but there's still a sense of peace, accomplishment, and happiness there. He'll be far away from titles that he never wanted.

I understand why there are a lot of fans who don't like it, and there has been some rocky moments and questionable writing. Some things could've been tied up neater, but then, sometimes that feels hackneyed and forced as well, compared to a more open-ended approach. Ultimately, I enjoyed the journey I was taken on. It'll be interesting to watch it all again from the beginning at some point.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri May 24, 2019 7:18 pm

I didn't mind either, the entire show was a great ride. The pace definitely quickened after season 5, but I'm not mad at it. If anything, I wish they could've split this season in two with ten episodes each. Maybe that would've fleshed things out better.

Andrew wrote:Jon's ending is bittersweet. I actually don't think it's a big deal that his parentage ultimately didn't matter as far as making him king. Part of the point is that the hereditary monarchies have brought so much ruin and fighting to Westeros for centuries now, and the fact that he had to kill a monarch that many had pledged allegiance to subsequently put him in a precarious political position. The reveal of his true identity accomplished what it was meant to do: keep him from a happy ending with Dany and contributing to her downfall. It still mattered to the plot; it just didn't achieve anything grand for him, or on a meta level, get the ending some people wanted where he was on the throne. Still, he's essentially been exiled into freedom with the people whose trust and admiration he's earned. His story ends as it began, feeling like an outcast, but there's still a sense of peace, accomplishment, and happiness there. He'll be far away from titles that he never wanted.

People thrashing the show said that "Jon was a Targaryen for nothing", they probably didn't understand that Jon didn't want to rule. He didn't want to be Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, and neither as King of the North. He took on those roles out of the pressure of duty, but not because he wanted to. Him going away to the Wall and then with the Wildlings is also symbolic for him cutting his ties to his parental heritage, as Varys may have been able to send those letters away somehow, exposing his identity to the world.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri May 24, 2019 8:57 pm

Anyone who wanted Jon to end up on the throne is probably going to be disappointed that it didn't end up having an impact on that, but to say it had no impact at all on the story is overlooking its role in what did go down.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Mon May 27, 2019 3:05 am

Andrew wrote:Anyone who wanted Jon to end up on the throne is probably going to be disappointed that it didn't end up having an impact on that, but to say it had no impact at all on the story is overlooking its role in what did go down.
I didn't want Jon to rule, but it seemed to be brought on as such a major, central plot point, when really the story would have ultimately changed in an incredibly minor way if it wasn't brought up at all. You could've still had all of the other factors that drove Dany off the deep end justify it, and everything else could've remained. So in that way, it was a disappointment, because it felt, to me, somewhat insignificant; given the magnitude of a revelation it was presented as, and speculated at prior.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon May 27, 2019 1:10 pm

That's fair. I kind of took it to be something of a red herring as far as Jon's destiny was concerned, though perhaps that's a kind interpretation. To me it's kind of like never finding out what Margaery Tyrell's plan was before Cersei outplayed everyone. Some secrets remain hidden, and all that. I'd agree it could've had more impact on the story, but I disagree with the suggestions I've been seeing that it had absolutely no impact on the story. Other things could've still driven Dany to madness and spite, but it was still one of the factors. It was also a very opportunistic move for Sansa and her arc about gaining power for herself, and independence for The North.

I think it was still important backstory at the very least, answering a question about who Jon really was and making his life as an outcast even more tragic. His mistreatment and alienation was bad enough, but it was all based on a lie. I feel that was the point of Varys' unsent letters as well. He was all ready to make a move against Dany, but he couldn't act quickly enough before Tyrion turned him in, thinking it was the right thing to do. Had those messages gotten out, maybe it would've been different. That's not to say it wasn't handled roughly, but I think the point was to have a measure of "What If" and "For Want of a Nail" in the ending. Jon's parentage could've mattered in a different way, but due to all the different agendas and machinations, things went in another direction.

Again, maybe it's a generous interpretation, but I feel that's what they were going for and that it ultimately made sense. The lines connected the dots but were messily drawn, so to speak.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Wed May 29, 2019 1:52 pm

Finally watched the finale after a week of putting it off since I may or may not have read the leaks before the finale started :lol: .Well, the leaks were right and well I guess we get King Bran after saying he doesn't "want" anymore but fucking skrrrrrrts his way to Kings Landing to be King.

The worst part about this season and I think which led to whatever this is, is the number of episodes the writers decided to make. If only we had 10 or shit even 12 since it's an actual cultural phenomenon around the world. More eps = better thought-out storylines. Dumb and Dumber didn't want to write shit anymore though so we're stuck with this.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:35 pm

Should've sent Sansa to deal with The Night King. Don't need Valyrian steal with that right hand!

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:12 am

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:41 pm

So, out of interest, has anyone re-watched the series after the finale? I haven't done so myself. I didn't hate the finale or final season as many did, but I still feel done with it, having watched the entire saga.

The forthcoming prequel/spinoff is interesting, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Previous

Return to Off-Topic