Experimenting with Scorebug

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K16 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

Experimenting with Scorebug

Postby Kazushige0001 on Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:55 pm

After messing around with it, I think I've started to make some small changes. Since I'm assuming this is a relatively 'dead' forum, is anyone interested in hex editing and other changes to try to mod the scorebug? I'm starting to understand the file structure somewhat, but I'm not great at hex editing, though I'm attempting to learn as I go. My main problem is really deciphering the pieces to make adjustments. From what I can tell, it is a combination of the 3D models positioned with animation files for placement. If someone with more knowledge is interested I can begin sharing images to explain what I can see.

I made some 3D model edits and texture changes. It took a while to figure out and I have more experimenting, but it's highly preliminary at this point. It'd be nice to recreate a legitimate tnt 2016 scorebug since it was Kobe's last season.

Kazushige0001

Re: Experimenting with Scorebug

Postby sticky-fingers on Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:43 pm

Unfortunately i never succeed to export the 3d model After blender edits.
sticky-fingers

Postby Kazushige0001 on Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:53 pm

I had the same problems until I realized that the blender script to import/export was able to import all the models, but would literally only export the first model listed in the 'scorebug_opt.SCNE' file. What I did as a test was I kept the mesh group 'panel_back' and deleted all the others in an altered scorebug_opt file and it successfully imported and exported just that model group without error.

I'll try to upload the file later on to show what I did.

It's tedious, but it definitely is a workaround for that problem. Who knows, maybe the changed scorebug_opt file can lead to an updated script to remedy the problem so we can batch import and export correctly. I hope you're interested in modding the scorebug with me since your work reveals you are much more expert than I am.
Kazushige0001

Postby sticky-fingers on Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:02 am

i dont remember the mesh names but i had a 4bytes error, never succeed to export properly my edits.
if we can export something, it could be promising. If you upload the file here, i'll try to make some tests too ;)

Check bongo88 threads here, he posted a lot of informations on 2K17/18/19/20 threads about modding scoreboards.
sticky-fingers

Postby Kazushige0001 on Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:39 am

Alright, I have uploaded the file to this post. This file will load and then export the panel_back model from and to nba 2k16. We can make individual files like this for all parts, though it would be a lot of work.

I have done some work with hex editing the files, but the structure is different from nba 2k17 and onward. I noticed the txt.animation files only have float values for size of text and not placement/location. Interestingly the txt.animation file for the 'bonus' text does appear to have location since it appears outside the bounding box of the main scorebug.

With the above 3D editing I did, it looks similar to other scorebug image edits, but what I did was edit the size of the 2k logo bounding box and actually made the logo and the panel behind it the same size. I noticed the alpha element, I'm assuming, made the light colors opaque and the black parts translucent when I changed the background from BC1 to BC3 in the scorebug_opt.scne file to make the edge rounded. So I actually put the 2k logo dds on one layer and put a black element on the back panel. I edit the bound box of the nba logo in blender and made the nba logo dds opaque and a full box to remove any transparency.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kazushige0001

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:23 am

I would die for accurate scoreboards on NBA 2K16. Sticky made a great TNT wipe, but the scoreboard would be the icing on the cake.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:56 pm

Kazushige0001 wrote:Alright, I have uploaded the file to this post. This file will load and then export the panel_back model from and to nba 2k16. We can make individual files like this for all parts, though it would be a lot of work.

I have done some work with hex editing the files, but the structure is different from nba 2k17 and onward. I noticed the txt.animation files only have float values for size of text and not placement/location. Interestingly the txt.animation file for the 'bonus' text does appear to have location since it appears outside the bounding box of the main scorebug.

With the above 3D editing I did, it looks similar to other scorebug image edits, but what I did was edit the size of the 2k logo bounding box and actually made the logo and the panel behind it the same size. I noticed the alpha element, I'm assuming, made the light colors opaque and the black parts translucent when I changed the background from BC1 to BC3 in the scorebug_opt.scne file to make the edge rounded. So I actually put the 2k logo dds on one layer and put a black element on the back panel. I edit the bound box of the nba logo in blender and made the nba logo dds opaque and a full box to remove any transparency.

just tried to import your file in Blender, no error but nothing shows up.
then i tried to load scorebug_opt before, then your file, tried to export and got this error
panel_back panel_back.e8a305b464b56628.model
Missing Binary Name

So, what should i do with your file to open it properly in Blender ?
sticky-fingers

Postby Kazushige0001 on Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:47 am

Hmm...I haven't had any problems. The one thing I did was put the panel_back model in the same directory as the altered scene file. I'm assuming you're using blender 2.72 for the import/export? I tried again and I was able to open the file and export it.

Dee4Three - Thanks for all the wonderful tutorials, they have been invaluable to me especially converting models. Would you be willing to try to open the altered scene file for the newscorebug? I'm using your conversion method for models so I have been importing nba 2k16 files in blender 2.72.

I'll upload my exact files to this post so you have exactly what I have without even renamed files. I called it "scorebug_opt2.scne" rather than the renamed scene name.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kazushige0001

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:32 am

Kazushige0001 wrote:Hmm...I haven't had any problems. The one thing I did was put the panel_back model in the same directory as the altered scene file. I'm assuming you're using blender 2.72 for the import/export? I tried again and I was able to open the file and export it.

Dee4Three - Thanks for all the wonderful tutorials, they have been invaluable to me especially converting models. Would you be willing to try to open the altered scene file for the newscorebug? I'm using your conversion method for models so I have been importing nba 2k16 files in blender 2.72.

I'll upload my exact files to this post so you have exactly what I have without even renamed files. I called it "scorebug_opt2.scne" rather than the renamed scene name.

I was able to get the model to import into blender 2.72 (The model you attached)

Here is the Blender 2.72 version I am using.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/4qwxc2u35o8cu6h/blender-2.72-windows64.zip/file

I was not able to open it with Blender 2.79, 2.80 or 2.82.

Also, thanks for the kind words, I am glad the tutorials helped!
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:27 am

yeah, it works with 2.72
but it really looks a real pain in the ass to mod

sticky-fingers

Postby Kazushige0001 on Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:30 am

Yes, I agree. This scorebug is hard to edit. It seems like the 3D models are anchored by the animation files, but they have to be individually tweaked as well. It is not easy to change from what I can tell.
Kazushige0001

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:35 pm

yeah, even moving simple things like teams names / scores seems hard compared to 2k17/21
anyway nice find and thanx for sharing, need to dig that more but at first, it looks really complicated and btw, i need to restart the game everytime to show the changes which doest help
sticky-fingers

Return to NBA 2K16 Modding