What You Like & Dislike Most in NBA Live 18

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

What You Like & Dislike Most in NBA Live 18

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:10 pm

What are the best and worst points of NBA Live 18? What things, be they big or small, do you like or dislike the most?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: What You Like & Dislike Most in NBA Live 18

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:20 am

1. One thing that bothers me is that the game is too contexual at times, and some of the things take away from the USER. Like some of the automatic fouls where your player would jump with the offensive player to trigger the animation and the ref will call an automatic foul.

2. I have that if you don't time a steal properly, you automatically foul the ball handler. It's more of a bail out.
3. Offensive player should break his own ankles or lose the ball in some situations, especially if they dribble into crowds (mainly LIVE RUN)

(will update this post when more comes to mind)
ThaLiveKing

Postby Beavis_5000 on Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:18 am

I think unpredictability is the worst part.

For example, I feel like every time I drive in it is extremely iffy as of whether or not my dude will dunk. This could be more my issue rather than the games as some people may have the game down enough to better judge the situations.

In real life I feel like I have much better judge of the situation when driving in. In LIve, I sure do get a lot of dunks but I feel pretty iffy about my chances most of the time. In other words, I have a tough time judging if the lay up or dunk I am about to put up is a good shot or bad shot even though many of the situations are pretty similar.

Other area of the game such as defense have similar inconsistencies I feel.

Is it just more or do other people feel the same?
Beavis_5000

Postby Beavis_5000 on Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:20 am

Also want to add the super cheesy contested lay ups.
Beavis_5000

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:33 pm

Aside from wanting to see further improvement in the fluidity of the controls and quality of the animations, I guess my main gripes are that there is a lack of individuality with team styles and strategies, and a lack of depth in the modes. I'd like to see the sim aspect of the game beefed up a little, with less scoring inside, more three-pointers by the CPU, and generally more realism in terms of the gameplay. With roster editing in the game now, I hope we see a bit more functionality added there, but modes like Franchise and Ultimate Team really need some more depth, including features that have been absent since the last generation.

I really like that NBA Live 18 has a fun feeling, though. Compared to NBA 2K18, which has felt like a chore at times, I tend to enjoy games of NBA Live 18, and there are definite "wow moments" when there's a big dunk or something else that's cool. The presentation is very slick, as it has been since NBA Live 14. Although I'd prefer to purchase items with RP directly than test my luck with crates, Live's approach of separate currencies and fairly easy to earn Skill Points is far preferable to VC in 2K. With all the work they've done post-release, the approach to player upgrades, and the strides the game has made, it just feels like there's a lot more goodwill in NBA Live 18, and that the series is on the right track.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:27 am

My biggest problem is that there are no injuries in played out games in the career mode. As I mentioned with the last version, this leads my team to having a full roster for all 82 games while other teams may be missing key players due to injury. It makes it sort of unfair for us to be at full strength all the time.
StyxTx

Postby [Q] on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:22 am

I don't seem to be experiencing the same thing as far as lack of 3s by the CPU. Sure, the CPU still tries to drive at all costs but if they get stopped and are behind the 3 point line, seems like once they get enough space to be considered "open" they shoot and make it
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:10 am

Have you changed the sliders at all? In my experience, the CPU often takes less than half as many threes as a team in real life does these days. Maybe I'm giving up the drive too much, but their tendency to drive really takes away from their long range and midrange game.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:37 pm

I haven't changed the sliders too much. I did early on to increase the effect of shot contests on CPU and to lower it on user shots, as I felt it was a bit unbalanced especially on their 3 point shooting. I also upped free throw shooting because I was only shooting like 50-60% at the line at first

CPU doesn't have any mid-range game unless shot clock is down or if they get stopped driving baseline.
Again if they are dribbling outside the 3 point line and you give them enough room so that a contest won't affect the shot then they'll take it. The CPU is deadly with that unfair advantage and I'd say it's almost an automatic make for them
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:07 pm

A key improvement the game needs to make moving forward is to have teams reflect their individual playstyles, running the plays they commonly do in real life. That'll surely result in teams actively looking to work players open for a three, and players like Curry taking a bunch of them.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:50 am

Custom rosters seem to reset, I have 3 different files that had 3 different types of rosters, all the customization stuff disappeared and went back to default. Thank god I recorded the game play when I made them. They're probably working on a fix.
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:44 am

Yikes, that's not good. Hopefully it can be resolved ASAP.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby KwameHameHa on Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:06 am

Love the presentation and atmosphere, Very inviting, it makes you want to play. The One is brilliant.

5 on 5 vs. the CPU feels like a chore to play though. Your AI teamates are painfully likmited as far as movement unless you call a play every time down the floor. Every possesions just seems so procedural instead of a 'anything can happen' feeling.
KwameHameHa

Postby deihatein on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:02 am

There seems like a delay when trying to go for a block or a steal. Trying to contest shots feels like your jumping on cement most of the time.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby mp3 on Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:30 pm

One of the only things I dislike is that there isn't enough defensive sliders in the game or that the paint isn't more protected.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Return to NBA Live 18