Feedback, Suggestions, & Requests

Talk about NBA Live 19 here.

Feedback, Suggestions, & Requests

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:56 am

I feel we need a topic separate to our impressions and other discussion topics, just to compile some early feedback based on our time with the NBA Live 19 demo and/or the EA Access trial. We'll be passing it along to the NBA Live 19 development team, so please keep it clear, concise, and constructive if you want to contribute!

I'll get the ball rolling with my feedback thus far.

• Increase speed of passes so they are crisper and less floaty, without going at rocket speed.
  • Certain dunks, layups, and post animations trigger and play out too fast, contributing to the "rocket dunk" problem and hitches in animation transitions.
  • Speed up reaction times of CPU teammates on defense. Sometimes they still stand around instead of collapsing on the paint when the opponent gets into the lane.
  • At times, it feels like user-controlled players are a step slower than the CPU, allowing them to break free on offense, and bump you to a halt too often on defense.
  • Lower blocking and stealing frequency (at least in NBA gameplay), as blocks and steals are a bit too numerous.
  • Increase automatic playcalling for CPU, and if possible, the user team even if nothing is called, to ensure constant movement and freelance motion offense.
  • There seems to be a bug in the logic where the CPU will make passes into the backcourt more often than we'd expect to see NBA players have such a mental lapse.
  • Shot distribution is pretty accurate for the most part, but it seems that some players are taking too many shots (e.g. DeMarcus Cousins). Could just be a matter of ratings tweaks?
  • Please add toggle option for feet/inches/pounds and centimetres/kilos for player measurements.
  • Please add Newcastle to the list of Australian cities for One Court locations, and The One Player hometowns.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Early Feedback, Suggestions, & Requests

Postby ThaLiveKing on Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:16 am

If anyone has played the game, weight doesn't seem to matter on the higher difficulty levels (All-star), but I dropped it down to pro, and there's a less "magnet" feel to it, and I'm getting more realistic looking fouls, on both sides vs the CPU. Let me know if you feel the same way.
ThaLiveKing

Postby [Q] on Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:21 am

Pretty happy overall with what I've played so far.

-Add an option for text on Arena Name in court creation.

- Realistic ratings for the Professor lol

- Max and Min weight options depending on height. I've been reading about people creating 6'10" guys weighing 130 lbs to up their speed
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThaLiveKing on Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:22 am

[Q] wrote:Pretty happy overall with what I've played so far.

-Add an option for text on Arena Name in court creation.

- Realistic ratings for the Professor lol

- Max and Min weight options depending on height. I've been reading about people creating 6'10" guys weighing 130 lbs to up their speed

LOL, I can't be that weak. They're useful cause the majority of people don't create heavy bigs
ThaLiveKing

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:56 am

NBA LIVE 19 – Early Feedback, Suggestions, & Requests

Gameplay:

R Stick shooting/dribbling: This is in the post or on the perimeter, it not only needs to be more responsive, but it needs a "camera relative" option. A lot of people like to play on broadcast, and don't like "absolute" controls. Dribbling from the top part of the screen feels unnatural for those people. In the post, the R Stick should be more effective when making moves, the way the stick configuration is set up in the game, using the R stick to shoot is an exercise in frustration. We also should have the control to do a reverse layup when we want, which is another situation where the R stick shooting control would benefit if it worked properly. We should be allowed to push the right stick towards the baseline in order to execute a reverse layup.

Dribbles/First step lack explosion: Small dribbles are fine at times, but not all the time. We should be allowed to go wide on a crossover with a capable ball handler, and we should be able to explode off of a well executed crossover or dribble. If we catch it on the perimeter, we should be allowed to explode off the catch if we are using a quick player. Right now, the game lacks NBA authenticity when it comes to explosive moves. Russell Westbrook and John Wall both should be able to accelerate off of moves/off of first step. Neither can in this game. Even if you time your catch and go properly, not only will you not accelerate, but you will probably end up getting bumped by your defender and forced to pick up the ball.

Reverse Pivot: This is an eyesore, and looks like something left over from Live 18. Think Melo, going from post up/face up shouldn't look so robotic and unnatural.

Excessive Bumping/Being made to pick up the dribble: This is really frustrating, because not only do we lack explosion on the floor if we execute a decent move/first step, but we are constantly being bumped and made to pick up our dribble. This doesn't happen that often in real life, but constantly in NBA LIVE 19. The bumping could be tolerated at the level it currently is, if we weren’t made to pick up the ball as often.

Input lag: A slight delay occurs when we push a button, and it happens on screen. This is the same for X1 and PS4, and I don’t experience it on my other basketball games. Example: NBA Live 16 has no input lag for me, but Live 19 does. This was also confirmed by a few people on Twitter. It can sometimes hurt the feel of the game.

Slow Jumping: Not only does jumping not feel reactive, it’s slow. Players look like they are moving in slow motion on a lot of jumps, and this isn’t just on canned blocks, its jumping in general (Whether its attempting a block, jumping for a rebound, getting a block, etc). This hurts the feel of playing defense, as coming over from the weak side and executing a well timed jump is hard to do, as you are not sure how slow your player will jump or when (Because of the input lag). Because of this, rebounding is tough to time, and really isn’t a fun part of the game.

Rebounding: As stated above, the slow jumping/unpredictable jumping hurts the feel of getting boards, but more importantly is your players “Ball detection” skills. You will jump right near a ball, and your player just has to reach out and grab it… instead… he won’t move his hand(s) towards the ball, and it will just fall to the floor.

Passing: Floaty passes are an issue in this game, and they happen often. You will throw a pass towards your teammate who is maybe 12 feet away, and it’s a really soft pass that can easily be stolen (And it will in this game). This makes moving the ball frustrating at times, as turnovers happen that the user feels shouldn’t. Passing “over the top” into the post is also a problem, and it’s the opposite of the floaty pass problem. Your post player will have inside position (asking for the ball over the top), and you will pass it to him, the pass is always a “rocket” that will either be stolen, or somehow awkwardly get to him for an easy two. Passing overall needs to be looked at and tweaked. Slow catches is also a problem, as players catching animations are sometimes incredibly slow, which causes a delay when you try to pass after receiving the catch.

Jump Passing: Another set of animations that look like they come straight from Live 18. The animation for jump passes is very unnatural, and mimics the “Rocket dunk” issues we have had in the past. The animations for this action need to be smoother out, and possibly slowed down.

Post game: The post game in NBA Live 19 has moments of greatness, and moments of “What just happened?” or “What did I just do?” or “How did I do that”. Sometimes the post game feels completely random and out of control. Not only that, the animations are at times cringeworthy, as your player awkwardly makes moves that feel totally unnatural and robotic. We need more control in the post, and the post game itself needs to be smoothed out. Better R Stick control would benefit the post greatly.

Defense (Overall): This could benefit from a camera relative option with the R Stick, but it also could benefit from the “jump” fixes that I mentioned above. Overall I like the defense in the game, but fixing the slow/non-reactive jumping would go a long way in improving the overall feel of playing defense. Also, being forced to foul so often while going for a steal can be frustrating, because we can time it appropriately, and not be that close to the ball handler, and we are forced into a fouling animation.

Transition defense: It has some great moments, but sometimes the CPU controlled players won’t react to the player coming down the court, and you can just run by them. It doesn’t happen a lot, but when it does, it’s a head scratcher.

Pick N Roll defense: Sometimes I get stuffed at the rim when I make the pass, which is awesome. However, on the lower difficulty levels (All-Star and below), it can be a little to easy to execute. It’s not unstoppable, but you can go to it more than you should be able to.

Step backs: With momentum moving forward, a quick step back to shoot should be tied in with the shoot button (Like it was in NBA Live 16). As in, we should be able to explode one way, and tap the shoot button (With the joystick pointed in the direction we want to step back) in order to execute a step back into a shot.

Free throws: In my opinion, the system that is currently in place just doesn't work. Not only do all the free throw animations mostly look the same (for all players), but the robotic nature of them is a major eyesore, and even when you release it correctly it still looks terrible. They should make it all one motion, and allow us to push the button and release it at the release point. They need to add more unique free throw animations as well.

Graphics:

Lighting: As shown in side by side screenshots, the lighting in the arena’s (Basically all of them) is very far off from real life. In Live 19, the arenas are darker than they should be, and so are a lot of the floor. It gives the game a dull appearance at times, and it doesn’t resemble with the arena/court look like on tv or in person in the least. This causes a strange conflict between exciting crowd noise/atmosphere, and the blah lighting. The floors are often gorgeous, with nice reflections, but the colors on a lot of them are just off.

Body types: It seems this is a trend in the basketball gaming industry, where players are getting further and further away from looking like athletes. The players in Live 19 hardly have any muscle, and the textures themselves are soft and look washed out. It also looks like the game may only have 2 or 3 body types, which makes players like Draymond Green and Demarcus Cousins have a similar or same body as Trevor Ariza or Jayson Tatum. The players should have more muscle, as these are some of the best athletes in the world, and the textures need to not be so washed out.

Depth:

NBA content: Now that the gameplay has a solid base, more focus should be placed on the NBA aspects of “NBA” Live. You can focus on the younger demographic, while also tackling the consumers who want a deeper NBA experience/or both. By not adding to the NBA content, you are limiting yourself to mostly one age bracket, as opposed to appealing to young adults/older. From everything I have seen, consumers are not clamoring for me street content, or anything over the top depth wise with franchise mode/LUT/legends etc, we are just asking for the basics that should be including in a title in 2018.

Franchise Mode: This mode needs attention, and it could benefit from:
- Multi-Team control
- Edit Roster
- In game injuries
These are the items that I see are most requested, this would put NBA Live on the right track in regards to giving us a more complete experience. We are not asking for insane depth at this point (Court creation, logos, jersey creations, etc). We just want a functional franchise experience. Multi-team use was in NBA Live back in 2004, why 15 years later do we not have that option?

Classic players: Another item removed from Live over the years. Again, why did you have all-decade teams in Live 2003 but now we cant have them in 2018? If it’s licensing, maybe if you put more emphasis on the NBA side of things, you could win some of those licenses back. If not all-decade teams, why not a legends pool that allows us to put classic players on NBA teams? If you believe this will hurt LUT participation, I don’t think that will be the case. Again, this isn’t a case of us asking for over the top features, we are just asking for the basics that should be included in the game (That was in the game 15 years ago).

WNBA Franchise mode: I've actually seen this requested quite a bit, and I might even entertain starting a WNBA franchise if it was in the game.

Editing animations: The game has the bones for this feature, as you can select different animations for created players. We should be allowed to edit the shooting animations/dribbling animations/dunk packages for NBA players. For example, Jayson Tatum's shot is way off in Live 19, I'd like to be able to edit his base and release. Certain shots in the game are spot on, like Horford, Brook Lopez, Westbrook, Paul George, etc. For the ones that are not, we should be able to edit them.
Last edited by Dee4Three on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:22 am

This is random, but if you're using a mic online, everybody on both teams should be able to hear you on the court like in real life. I understand the use of keeping it within your team for strategy but let's be honest not a lot of people are like that and it could prove useful in trash talking the other team too lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:31 am

[Q] wrote:This is random, but if you're using a mic online, everybody on both teams should be able to hear you on the court like in real life. I understand the use of keeping it within your team for strategy but let's be honest not a lot of people are like that and it could prove useful in trash talking the other team too lol

I don't know, encountering bratty kids online is already annoying enough! :lol: It's an interesting idea, though. I'd suggest that it be up to some privacy settings, as there are times when you'd want to mute opponents (and possibly your own teammates on occasion).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:48 am

I agree mute options should be available but I like the idea of hearing actual player chatter on court
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:51 am

You've got a higher tolerance than I do. I switched my PSN messaging settings to "friends only" because I was tired of idiot kids messaging me during 2K Pro-Am games. Unless I know you, I don't want to hear from you while I'm gaming. :P
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:26 am

Added a few items to my list:

*Free Throws
*WNBA Franchise
*Editing animations

Descriptions are above on the original list.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:48 am

Every time Jay Williams says "You keep doing what youre doin with that superior complex", It pisses me off.

I hate his commentary.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:09 am

Sounds like he's the one with the superiority complex
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby matmat66 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:12 am

Legends in the regular roster for me.
matmat66

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:13 pm

Might as well go ahead and make this our official developer feedback topic. I'll remove "Early" from the title.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Feedback, Suggestions, & Requests

Postby [Q] on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:29 am

Kinda weird, the pop ups for leveling up don't come up in court battles menu. Once you quit out of it they pop up.

Shawn Kemp jersey was changed for some reason. It was right last year, this year they changed the numbers and it's wrong.

Something's up with the way they do speed in this game. My guy has a 100 in speed and on fast breaks people catch up to me all the time
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:46 am

[Q] wrote:Kinda weird, the pop ups for leveling up don't come up in court battles menu. Once you quit out of it they pop up.

Shawn Kemp jersey was changed for some reason. It was right last year, this year they changed the numbers and it's wrong.

Something's up with the way they do speed in this game. My guy has a 100 in speed and on fast breaks people catch up to me all the time

I agree, I've mentioned that. The lack of explosion/quickness/speed in the game can hurt the gameplay sometimes.

It's frustrating at times in the half court, or on the break. Trying to drive with the brodie at times feels the same as driving with Joe Ingles.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:54 pm

I mean,my speed is literally 100. If I have a lead on somebody and I have my turbo going, there should not be many people that should catch up. Like maybe a 90 speed or something
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:09 am

[Q] wrote:I mean,my speed is literally 100. If I have a lead on somebody and I have my turbo going, there should not be many people that should catch up. Like maybe a 90 speed or something

Yeah, happens with me as well.

They need to make attributes matter more, as in the differentiation between higher and lower rated players. I had the same complaint with AOIT, where a 70 overall player was as good as a 90 overall. They listened to the feedback and patches it, it's really good now.

Between that speed issue and the LUT team dunk packages issue, they have some work to do.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby StyxTx on Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:06 am

Looking at the feedback, I guess this year I will pass on any basketball game.

I've gave up on 2k last year.

Live 19 seems better, and I'm glad to see the improvement, but not really enough to entice me to spend the money.

I read someplace that in-game injuries are still not part of career, so that is a major reason I will not buy. That is such a basic thing and they've had 3 years or so to implement it. It just feels like cheating when my players are healthy for all 82 games while opposing teams (in career) always have players injured.

I have not given up on Live, and I hope next year will be an even larger step up.

Someone recommended to someone else that they skip buying a basketball game every year and get it every two years where there SHOULD be a major improvement, so I think I'm going to take that approach.
StyxTx

Postby CarolusXCI on Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:23 am

There is a bunch of stuff that could be improved in this year's game. But I imagine some of them are too complex to be implemented on a future patch. So I will try to suggest here things that I think are feasible to be implemented on upcoming updates for this game:

- Camera-relative stick orientation. Sometimes I have no idea why my center shot a step-back fadeaway from the post, when I wanted only a hook shot. Talking about post-up anims...

- Animations in the post are completely generic. I'm aware that it would be hard to add signature post shots for some players now, after the game is already lauched. However, EA could at least record some three or four sets of different post fadeaway and hook shots animations and then split them into little packages. For example, they already have animations for three different hook shots, I think. They could turn them into three different hook shot packages, so that some player would always have the same hook shot (like on NBA 2k10 and 2k11).

- Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I noticed that on momentum shots, the lower part of the body has a generic animation, whereas the upper part has the regular jumpshot animation. Therefore a momentum shot with Durant looks and feels diferent than one with Dirk. Maybe they could implement something similar for post-up shots, who knows..

- On the player edit screen, it would be cool if the user were able to:
- edit player animations (this is huge)
- remove (or add) undershirt
- I know headbands may be tricky to add to any player due to the different head models, but if possible that would be a nice
- change player age separately from years pro
- edit players during franchise (at least jersey numbers)
- make a player taller than 7'3". I tried to create Yao Ming, but unfortunatelly he had to be only 7'3".

- A legends pool (for the sake of roster editing). The most difficult part is to get all those player licenses, which they already did. I don't understand why one would get the license for having Ben Wallace (example) and then use it only for the ultimate team. A bunch of old NBA Live iterations had those decade teams; that would be a cool addition (and very feasible, I think)

- Back on Live 2005 I remember we were able to play a 1 on 1 match against a prospect that we scouted. The user even got to choose if they wanted to control a player of their team or the prospect. I loved this feature. It was a simple but effective way to gauge how prospects play before picking them. Something similar for this year's franchise mode would be awesome.
CarolusXCI

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:39 am

Several of those items are also on my list above.

In regards to camera relative, it's a total head scratcher thay they released the game without that option for Right Stick control.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:26 am

I understand they tried to be more in line with 2ks pro am more, but live run with 5 min quarters is too long. I played my first one last night and my team was getting killed and everybody quit but I stuck it out thinking it was halves not quarters. When I saw it was the 3rd quarter and not the end of the game, I just quit.

Also, in court battles, I find myself avoiding all of the timed games and looking for games to 11.

Also, a BIG feature they could have next year is the inclusion of BIG 3 lol
They already have the framework for half court 3 on 3 and it would be cool to play as all these retired players.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:26 am

Five minute quarters has its drawbacks, but there are definitely times I prefer it to first to 11/21/whatever. Then again, I've played a lot of 2K Pro-Am in recent years.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:42 am

This is where Live 19 comes up short, I am a perfect example of this right now.

LUT has issues with dunk packages not being assigned to classic players. At the moment, my interest in LUT is low or non existent because of that issue, and I don't like playing online.

This leaves me with a bare bones franchise mode where I only have the option to use one current team, and it has to be the current NBA, or play now.... play now would only be suitable right now to make videos for my channel.

I've been able to fix some of the movement issues in 2K19 and give myself a slightly better experience, and while the gameplay isn't as good as Live 19 (I'd give the gameplay on 2K19 a 5/10, and Live 19 a 7/10), 2K19 has more depth. Not just because I'm on PC either, just overall more to do.

This is why it's vital for EA Sports to make the game deeper mode/feature wise for offline players. Once playing online gets tiring to people, or they complete all the challenges on LUT, they won't really want to play the game anymore, they will want something else to jump into. One these teenagers turn into young adults, and alot of them stop playing online or seldom do, most won't just stop playing basketball games, they will change gaming habits.

I want to play Live 19 right now, but I want my games to mean something, and players to play the right way in LUT, so at the moment I'm at a stale mate.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:17 am

I feel you. I'm experiencing some issues with my connection at the moment, which has meant that I haven't been able to play anything that requires an online connection. Even when the connection has been up, I haven't felt like risking it, not knowing when it's going to drop out again (it may be three minutes, thirty minutes, or three hours). Admittedly that problem is at my end - it's my Internet connection, not EA's servers - but without the deeper franchise experience I'd like, my options are limited indeed while I wait for the line to be repaired.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA Live 19