9%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes : 11

Final NBA 2K19 Rating & Thoughts

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:45 pm

Since we're close to the release of NBA 2K20, what are your final thoughts on, and rating for, NBA 2K19?

I gave up on NBA 2K18 quite early last year. I hardly played it past February or March, and more or less only fired it up to get screenshots for features and news bulletins. The awful MyCAREER story, lacklustre online experience, and greedy approach to VC was too much of a turnoff. The game was successful overall though, so I was expecting the worst for NBA 2K19.

However, I have to say it's been a fun year with the game. There are obviously a lot of legacy issues which I want to see addressed, and the online experience has continued to decline, but I still really enjoyed other aspects of it. I played two full seasons of MyCAREER, playing every game on 12 minute quarters. I dabbled with some MyTEAM, though not as much as I'd have liked given that I was able to get some pretty awesome cards on both PC and PS4. I didn't spend a single cent on VC, and though MyCAREER was still grindy, I was hooked on it until I finally did everything I wanted to do with it. Apart from not being able to spend much time with MyTEAM and my plans to play MyLEAGUE falling through, I'd say I got my money's worth this year. I also appreciated how they upped the VC rewards, made Locker Codes more accessible and rewarding, and addressed a few other complaints with NBA 2K18.

However, the online side of things was a disappointment. Forcing 2K Pro-Am to have five users per side, instead of the previous three user minimum, was a gatekeeping measure I didn't like at all. I understand what they're going for, but it's very elitist, making the mode far less accessible than in years past. The walk-on experience in the Jordan Rec Center - the alternative when you can't fill out your squad with five users - is far inferior because the online NBA 2K community is kind of toxic (to put it diplomatically), and it really soured me on an experience that I have enjoyed in recent years. The lack of balance didn't help, either. It's made me determined to return to my roots as an offline gamer, because online isn't in good shape right now. There's so much it needs to have and do as far as balance and proper matchmaking are concerned. For those who are interested in playing online in NBA 2K20, I hope they address some of those issues. And yes, improve server stability.

My final grade would probably be an 8.5. I'm tempted to round up to a 9 because I did really enjoy MyCAREER and feel accomplished at qualifying for the Hall of Fame, but it's hard to round up when I was so dissatisfied with the online side of things. I'll vote 8 in the poll, and qualify it as an 8.5/10. While NBA 2K19 had its faults, I did enjoy it throughout the season, and for a month or so afterwards as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K19